The Downside- Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This was meaningful win for us: we haven’t beaten these guys since 1966. But this win won’t be polished by future results. This is a bad Florida State team. And by that, I don’t simply mean that this team doesn’t come up to Florida State’s standards. It’s just a bad team, period. A lot of schools that are tired of being pushed around by the Noles will get their revenge this year and we will just be viewed as one of them. They will be the story to the national press. We have more work to do before we become the standard.

- Until midway in the third quarter, the story of the game was that were dominating it but kept blowing chances to take control on the scoreboard. I was just hoping that Custis’ awful drop on the wide-open bomb down the sideline wouldn’t matter. We missed a field goal, eschewed one and get stuffed at the goal line. We had a three and out running Neal up the middle three straight time. It was 6-0 at the half and should have bene 17-0 and Dungey had bene poked in the eye. I was waiting for Akers to bust one for 70 yards or a long pass to somebody who got behind the defense. It never happened and that was great but it was nervous time for much of a game we really dominated from the start. It reminded me of the first SU game I ever attended in 1964 against UCLA. It was a warm weather-team, (on a fall day where it wound up snowing). We dominated and were up 6-0 until just before halftime when Floyd Little gathered in a punt at our 9 and started up the sideline. A bruin closed on him- until Big Jim Nance hit his sideways so hard the guy was airborn: Floyd ran under him and exploded for a 91 yard touchdown. Finals score Syracuse 39 and some very cold Bruins 0. Syracuse Sets Back U.C.L.A. For 3d Straight Victory, 39 to 0

- Hopefully the injuries to Dungey and Fredrick are temporary and they will available for Clemson. I didn’t see anyone else down for us.

- The referees got plenty of face-time, calling 19 penalties and consulting with each other several times. Florida State, the guys who grew up in the south, cramped up after every big SU play but recovered in a play or two each time. Our (mostly) northern boys didn’t seem to cramp up at all. It made for a frustrating game to watch.

- The stats on the ribbon scoreboard continued to be “a tale told by an idiot, signifying nothing”. At one point we were said to have 10 yards of total offense, 75 through the air and 58 on the ground- the latter in one carry. Is anybody even looking at this? It’s embarrassing.

- The university should charge extra for the sauna bath everyone got. I was melting like the Wicked Witch of the West. Then a big fat Florida State fan sat down in the previously vacant seat next to me and I became a sardine. He was a nice guy though, laughed at my jokes and congratulated SU fans after it became obvious who was going to win.

The referees got plenty of face-time, calling 19 penalties and consulting with each other several times. Florida State, the guys who grew up in the south, cramped up after every big SU play but recovered in a play or two each time. Our (mostly) northern boys didn’t seem to cramp up at all. It made for a frustrating game to watch.

This is a good point, and it's not just because we're used to the Dome.

Usually the "dominate on the field but not on the scoreboard" thing is a recipe for disaster for us and it's just a matter of time before something fluky happens or we make a backbreaking mistake that swings the game.

Today our results caught up to our performance and we kept FSU bottled up.

One downside I would add was our struggles in short yardage and goal-line situations. Some of the play calling (3 straight runs up the middle, resulting in little or no gain) was questionable (especially when FSU was lining-up 8 or 9 players in the box).

One downside I would add was our struggles in short yardage and goal-line situations. Some of the play calling (3 straight runs up the middle, resulting in little or no gain) was questionable (especially when FSU was lining-up 8 or 9 players in the box).

Not a fan of the short yardage lineup. Custis was so much taller than the guy covering him, I don't understand why they didn't line him up inside the 5 to take advantage of that at the very least. You drive down using one offense and then use another to not finish what the other lineup got you there with. This was my biggest beef for this game...pun intended.

I like that UCLA reference. Unfortunately, my first game at Archbold came two years later when Gary Beban led the Bruins to a convincing win over the 1966 Orange, 31-12. BTW, that game drew 35,000 fans (for those bemoaning attendance yesterday). Always enjoy your recaps.

I like that UCLA reference. Unfortunately, my first game at Archbold came two years later when Gary Beban led the Bruins to a convincing win over the 1966 Orange, 31-12. BTW, that game drew 35,000 fans (for those bemoaning attendance yesterday). Always enjoy your recaps.

Gary Beban > Larry Zeno

also

Rain > Snow, if you're from a warm state.

And, of course, that SU team went on to win 8 in a row after that, including 37-21 over Florida State.

At one point they said on tv that we only had 16 yards on our first two drives. Didn't we go the length of the field on the second one?

The red zone offense leaves a lot to be desired. It was bad last year as well. Obviously we can't pin this on our old co-OC.

I'm way too young for the UCLA reference, but this game reminded me of the 1994 Miami game for longer than I'd have liked. When the touchdowns finally piled up, it was a relief.

Looked like the Oline was Zone blocking, laterally. With 8/9 in the box, I much prefer power/man blocking straight ahead, in those situations. Too easy to fill the holes created by the zone movement, imo.

Looked like the Oline was Zone blocking, laterally. With 8/9 in the box, I much prefer power/man blocking straight ahead, in those situations. Too easy to fill the holes created by the zone movement, imo.
It also seemed that Elmore was used as the lead blocker on almost every play. I never played the sport at this level, but it seems like opposing defenses simply needed to key on Elmore to know which hole the RB with the ball was headed.

Kind of my thoughts, too. It CAN be effective, though. I'm just partial to the straight ahead/push approach. I saw a Bailey tweet that said they weren't getting push, with a stacked box. If they were in zone, blocking laterally, they weren't supposed to. They were creating movement, and seams.

They had 9-10 guys in the box is because we had 10 guys, 3 RB and 1 WR. And ran the same play over and over. Mixit up abit 2xWR 2xTE or 2xRB who both can run or block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom