The Downside: Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

The Downside: Georgetown

SWC75

Bored Historian
- O.K., who was it that suggested that Oshae play center? I suspect it was really a suggestion that a guy like Brissett would be much more effective on the pick and roll that our current centers. Does it have to be a center setting the pick?

- In the first half it was all about our shooting. We were holding Georgetown in check on the defensive end, (otherwise the game would have been a total blow-out. We were running out offense well, driving to the basket and tossing the ball back out for wide open threes. But when we drive to the basket, we kept tossing up floaters and bunnies that didn’t go in. And we were 1 for 14 on those wide-open threes. There was a Taco Bell add on the big screen as the half ended reminding us that we’d get free tacos without ticket stubs if Syracuse scored 70 points. We had 22 points at the time.

- Part of the problem inside, as explained by Jimmy Satalin, was that Jesse Govan had been told he didn’t have to guard our centers so he stayed inside and stopped our drives from getting to the basket. Meanwhile our centers couldn’t guard Jesse, who scored 22 points and had 14 rebounds. Paschal, Bourama and Marek totaled 12 points and 6 rebounds.

- Oshae missed another big dunk. I don’t know if they keep that stat, but might lead the country.

- We got out-rebounded 34-45 and the turnovers, (9-15) didn’t make up for it.

- I figured out who Mac McClung reminds me of. Not Jerry West or Allen Iverson. If Jimmy Cagney was a basketball player, he’d be Mac McClung.
- Buddy Boeheim played only two minutes but it was a memorable two minutes. he threw up an air ball and made a bad turnover before his father had to yank him. He looked like Edmund O’Brien in the Cagney clip.

- Greg Malinowski played only 14 minutes but also left an impression. He hit three big treys that got Georgetown going again. He was kind of like Edmund O’Brien in this clip:
James Cagney in White Heat - Top of the World

- The refereeing wasn’t bad but they called several moving screens, a hold after Georgetown already had the ball and was moving down court and an offensive foul on Hughes well after he dished to Battle for an open shot. You don’t have to call everything.

- It’s a shame we will probably lose this series to the extended ACC schedule and the need for Arkansas State games.

Good summary and hilariously apt James Cagney clip. Where do you come up with this stuff?

After reading your piece, I must say I didn’t realize it was that bad, stats-wise. How the hell did we ever win that game? Guess I’ll go read The Upside to find out. (I have my theories.)

The downside is that our next two opponents are supposed to be better than Georgetown.

Last edited:
At some point, we need to discuss brissett's defense in these downside threads. Love his rebounding, but man is he not good at the rotations.

Good summary and hilariously apt James Cagney clip. Where do you come up with this stuff?

After reading your piece, I must say I didn’t realize it was that bad, stats-wise. How the hell did we ever win that game? Guess I’ll go read The Upside to find out. (I have my theories.)

Growing up i used to watch the TV quiz show " Concentration".

Ever since then i seem to see the world in terms of metaphors and similes and make weird comparisons of two things I've seen at different times that seem somehow similar to me.

We’re just going to live off of jumpers. Good or bad. We settled in the 1H but JB said they forced them into deep threes. Well, duh, if you can’t or won’t drive it. There will be more under 30pt first halves for this bunch moving forward and I don’t buy at all that Georgetown is a good defensive team. Our offense makes bad defenses look good. We have seen it all year.

On Brissett's dunk attempt, he was pushed from behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom