The Downside - Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Still another valiant effort. But you don’t get invited to the dance if your dress is a ‘valiant effort’. We might have nailed down an invitation by getting our third win over a top ten team of the season abut again we couldn’t pull it out.

- The five game winning streak consisted of games we won by 5, 10, 7 in overtime, 4 and 1. Now we’ve lost two in a row by 5 and 4. That’s the way it is. Anything could happen down the stretch. We could wind up 16-15 or 20-11 and the post season will be the same.

- We can’t quite get that 17th win that will continue the streak. Maybe next time.

- Why was Tyler Roberson in at the end? JB said he knew he wasn’t going to make those. Jimmy Satalin said after the first miss “You don’t need to tell him to miss the second one.” I pointed out in the chat room that Thompson might not have gotten that rebound. The response was “We might not have needed him to.” You want shooters on the court at the end of a game.

- Twice John Gillon drove to the basket too early on a last possession of a half. The guy’s a 5th year senior. Gillon was 3 for 7 from the arc. That’s good. He was 0 for 4 on two point shots, had 5 turnovers and got to the line only once, (for two shots).

- We had numerous fast break opportunities where we just walked the ball up in a game where we were having trouble scoring in the half-court. Onour last possession of regulation, Jimmy Salatin said we would call a time out when the ball went past the mid-court line. Gillon dribbled slowly and took 6 seconds to get it past mid-court.

- Tyus Battle just didn’t have it. In his last three games he’s 4 for 19 from the field 2 for 12 from the arc. One of those was a big one but get well soon, Tyus.

- Andrew White finally got his points but he was 2 for 14 from outside. Most of them were open shots. We just needed one more to go in.

- In the five game winning streak we hit 50 of 118 three point attempts (42.3%). In these alst two losses, we are 14 for 54 (25.9). 18 for 54, (33.3), could have won those games and we had the open looks, especially in this game.

- Ryan McMahon is an allegedly six foot freshman who, in matt Park’s words, “looks like everybody’s kid brother”. He came in averaging 2.5 points per game. He got 7 in overtime. Somewhere, Kyle Kouric is smiling.

- We again got out-rebounded, 38-46. It was up and down. It was 5-12 at one point in the first half but we got it to 14-15 at halftime. . But they owned the boards most of the second half and OT.

- The idea of the zone is to generate turnovers that make up for a rebounding deficit. Turnovers in this game were 15-15.

- We have a good offensive team not prone to droughts, unlike some of our recent teams. But not tonight. It took 4 minutes and 29 seconds to score, our longest “sit down” of the season, (second longest was the previous half- the second vs. Pitt, which took 3 minutes and 58 seconds.) Then we had that awful stetch from when Frank Howard gave us a 48-46 lead with 6:32 left to Andrew White finally hit a three with 2:01 left where we gave up 9 unanswered to points to fall behind 48-55. We went 0 for 5 with two turnover sin that stretch and White had four of the misses and one of the turnovers. Then there was OT, where we had a 63-61 lead with 3:56 left after White made a free throw. We didn’t score again until White made a trey with 36 seconds left. In that time we were out-scored 0-10. We were 0 for 5 and had a turnover in that stretch, (Gillon had three of the misses and the turnover). You aren’t going to win games giving up 0-10 runs in overtime.

- It’s not over yet but we’re running out of games to prove we belong in the tournament.

- Losing is frustrating but losing-once again- to Pitt and Louisville when we could have won each game really stinks.

Last edited:
Also, if Ville wasn't so miserable from the foul line tonight, the game really wouldn't have been that close.

It's almost like roles have been reversed from most Syracuse teams. For those familiar with Seinfeld, "bizarroworld". Maybe it was karma?

SWC's dedication is inspiring to me, and has gotten me close to resurructing my "The Backside" column, which mainly is a refutation of rumors from the payside, as well as some old fashioned humor. If folks express enough interest, it will inspire me to get to it sooner. As always SWC, keep up the good work. It's much appreciated.

As for White, is it possible the way he got his points suggest a slight change of focus for him might at times be beneficial? Maybe he can "Boeheim" parts of his game when they need a break?

Last edited:
It's almost like roles have been reversed from most Syracuse teams. For those familiar with Seinfeld, "bizarroworld". Maybe it was karma?

SWC's dedication is inspiring to me, and has gotten me close to resurructing my "The Backside" column, which mainly is a refutation of rumors from the payside, as well as some old fashioned humor. If folks express enough interest, it will inspire me to get to it sooner. As always SWC, keep up the good work. It's much appreciated.

As for White, is it possible the way he got his points suggest a slight change of focus for him might at times be beneficial? Maybe he can "Boeheim" parts of his game when they need a break?

And Seinfeld got the idea from Superman: Bizarro - Wikipedia

216px-ClassicBizarro.PNG

hey i'm no numbers geek but so far this season AW III has just 35 assists and has taken 368 shots. that number jumps out and seems way out of whack to me.
(shots att./assists)
---------------------------
Atrey : 10.5
TL : 4.7
darby : 1.4
battle : 4.7
TT : 10.8
robey : 5.2
FH : 1.1

makes me wonder if this guy is here to win or score. i'm hoping he's here to win this year. and maybe he thinks his scoring gives us the best chance. but that seems high for a combo guard/wing.

hey i'm no numbers geek but so far this season AW III has just 35 assists and has taken 368 shots. that number jumps out and seems way out of whack to me.
(shots att./assists) ... makes me wonder if this guy is here to win or score. i'm hoping he's here to win this year. and maybe he thinks his scoring gives us the best chance. but that seems high for a combo guard/wing.
If Boeheim didn't want him to shoot as much, he wouldn't be shooting as much.

well i'm a northerner and a lowly hockey player. but in our great sport the assist is also a point stat wise.

(shots att./assists)

makes me wonder if this guy is here to win or score. i'm hoping he's here to win this year. and maybe he thinks his scoring gives us the best chance. but that seems high for a combo guard/wing.
His primary role here is to score (which he does very well), he doesn't have much of a handle, he often gets the ball late in the shot clock and you're disappointed he's not Bob Cousy.

maybe a bit more cousy and a little less robert parrish ratio.

i'll admit i went fishing for this stat becuz watching the games TT seems to be all catch and shoot. but when i crunched the data lo and behold Atrey was just as bad. and he's a perimeter guy which makes it worse imo.

His primary role here is to score (which he does very well), he doesn't have much of a handle, he often gets the ball late in the shot clock and you're disappointed he's not Bob Cousy.

Scoring is a job on the team, (maybe the most important, since points win games). JB wants Robey to rebound because that's what he does best. He isn't telling Robey to get fewer rebounds and more assists. When the ball goes to White, JB wants him shooting it,not looking for assists. He's not a point guard.

(shots att./assists)

His Nebraska assist stats were also 1. something. FH at 1.1?

well let's dissect some numbers. lydon is a 5. roberson is a 5. battle is a 5. also not point guards.
only TT is higher...

"I have to dribble. If I give it to you, you just shoot. You're a chucker."
"Oh, I'm a chucker."
"That's right, everytime you get the ball you shoot."
"I can't believe you called me a chucker. No way I'm a chucker. I do not chuck, never chucked, never have chucked, never will chuck, no chuck!"

- Jerry, in "The Boyfriend"

Last edited:
His Nebraska assist stats were also 1. something. FH at 1.1?
This odd stat that has been introduced here is the ratio of shots to assists. White is at 10.5 this season and Howard is 1.1.

let's call it the chucker quotient. game shots / assists. ymca basket hanger tangent will be addressed later.

Last edited:
If Boeheim didn't want him to shoot as much, he wouldn't be shooting as much.
As I said in another thread, the UL game was the first time all season that I was hoping White would NOT shoot. But he has a shooter's mentality -- I may have missed 10 in a row but I KNOW the next one is going in. The most disappointed I was on Monday night was Gillon on the last play in regulation. I would have rather seen him shoot a 25 foot shot than do what he did.

The most disappointed I was on Monday night was Gillon on the last play in regulation. I would have rather seen him shoot a 25 foot shot than do what he did.
Agree, but that was the call out of the TO. In a vaccum, sending a quick PG who shoots FTs at ~90% might be the best way to get a point on the board, but officials are sometimes loathe to call grey area contact to decide a game and especially by a free throw. Of course, some games are heinous outliers:
12745598335_44a0598aac_o.gif

Gillon is shooting like 34% from inside the arc and he's probably worse than that in the paint. He can get there, but has a hard time finishing. I thought coming out of a TO, there would be a set play to get Lydon or White the ball with a path to the basket. Both are just as capable as Gillon is at knocking down FTs.

Also, if Ville wasn't so miserable from the foul line tonight, the game really wouldn't have been that close.
I agree. We actually did a great job fouling the right guy and quickly.

On the other hand if White et al shoot just a little from three they might be fouling us at the end where we have the advantage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom