The Downside- Louisville | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Louisville

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We will no doubt hear that we beat a Louisville team that was short-handed due to the loss of Chris Jones. Yeah, tell us about being short-handed.

- Trevor Cooney opened the scoring with a trey 32 seconds in to the gamed. He never scored again, going 0 for 9. JB in his presser said this was not a case of him being closely guarded. He said that all shots but one were open shots. Again, normally when you see a shooter hit his first one, you expect him to have a good game. Cooney hit a trey 1:07 I into the Pitt game and missed 6 in a row the rest of the game. He hit one 7 second into the BC game and went 2 for 7 after that. He hit his first three shots against Duke, then missed 10 in arrow. What is it with this guy? In the last 5 games he’s 10 for 46 from three point range, (22%). We are playing so well right now. Imagine if our shooting guard could shoot.

- Note to Kaleb Joseph: a two pointer that goes in counts more than a three pointer that doesn’t. JB said he’s over 50% on those pull-up jumpers and just 20% from the arc. But he thinks he’s Trevor Cooney, (and he’s kind of right, the way Cooney’s shooting)

- Three guys scored 60 of our 69 points. (and Cooney wasn’t one of them).

- I was really disappointed with the way we started the game. We seemed very sluggish, almost uninterested. We were letting them do whatever they wanted on offense. I really wondered if the lack of a post season incentive was getting to the team. They answered me after that. But, as frustrating as problems scoring can be it’s really disheartening to see the other team score on your team with the ease the Cardinals were early in this game. The shots may not always fall but you can move those feet and keep those hands in the air.

- I can’t get used to the fact that if Ennis, Onuaku or Grant do good things, that’s bad for us.

i don't mind kaleb taking a 3 here and there because we have basically an awful shooting team and I don't think it matters that much, but take them early...not in the last two minutes

i don't mind kaleb taking a 3 here and there because we have basically an awful shooting team and I don't think it matters that much, but take them early...not in the last two minutes

Why take them at all if that's not his shot?

Why take them at all if that's not his shot?
because he is a guard and if the shot is open, and in the rhythm of the offense he needs to take it because the defense has to honor it. it is inherently more efficient that a 2 pointer and within the flow of the offense needs to be taken. you have to make the defense guard it. even if he shoots 20% the shooting in college is so bad that you have to guard it.

because he is a guard and if the shot is open, and in the rhythm of the offense he needs to take it because the defense has to honor it. it is inherently more efficient that a 2 pointer and within the flow of the offense needs to be taken. you have to make the defense guard it. even if he shoots 20% the shooting in college is so bad that you have to guard it.

It's not efficient if it doesn't go in. He's open because the defense knows he can't shoot from there.

- We will no doubt hear that we beat a Louisville team that was short-handed due to the loss of Chris Jones. Yeah, tell us about being short-handed.

- Trevor Cooney opened the scoring with a trey 32 seconds in to the gamed. He never scored again, going 0 for 9. JB in his presser said this was not a case of him being closely guarded. He said that all shots but one were open shots. Again, normally when you see a shooter hit his first one, you expect him to have a good game. Cooney hit a trey 1:07 I into the Pitt game and missed 6 in a row the rest of the game. He hit one 7 second into the BC game and went 2 for 7 after that. He hit his first three shots against Duke, then missed 10 in arrow. What is it with this guy? In the last 5 games he’s 10 for 46 from three point range, (22%). We are playing so well right now. Imagine if our shooting guard could shoot.

- Note to Kaleb Joseph: a two pointer that goes in counts more than a three pointer that doesn’t. JB said he’s over 50% on those pull-up jumpers and just 20% from the arc. But he thinks he’s Trevor Cooney, (and he’s kind of right, the way Cooney’s shooting)

- Three guys scored 60 of our 69 points. (and Cooney wasn’t one of them).

- I was really disappointed with the way we started the game. We seemed very sluggish, almost uninterested. We were letting them do whatever they wanted on offense. I really wondered if the lack of a post season incentive was getting to the team. They answered me after that. But, as frustrating as problems scoring can be it’s really disheartening to see the other team score on your team with the ease the Cardinals were early in this game. The shots may not always fall but you can move those feet and keep those hands in the air.

- I can’t get used to the fact that if Ennis, Onuaku or Grant do good things, that’s bad for us.
Just like last season, too many mins is taking its toll on TC in 2nd half of season. I cant think of another player w his mouth wide open gasping for his breath in between plays like TC. But SU has no other option and i give TC a lot of credit, altho he is struggling and inconsistent, w the mins he is playing, he is a Warrior for us. I cant wait to see him next season when (hopefully) he can play a normal 30-34 mins instead of 37-40. My guess is his shooting % will go up noticeably.

No you don't have to guard it. Why would you? Why would you guard against Joseph taking a three? If I were the other team I want Joseph missing all those threes.

SU's zone is predicated on where they would like the other team to take their shots. JB does not change the zone until the other team makes several of those given shots. Then and only then does he morph the way they play to take those shots away. It really isn't that hard to understand. You make other teams or players prove resoundingly they can make certain shots before you do something to prevent said shots. Until the,n leave them open and pray they take the bait and take those shots.

Just like last season, too many mins is taking its toll on TC in 2nd half of season. I cant think of another player w his mouth wide open gasping for his breath in between plays like TC. But SU has no other option and i give TC a lot of credit, altho he is struggling and inconsistent, w the mins he is playing, he is a Warrior for us. I cant wait to see him next season when (hopefully) he can play a normal 30-34 mins instead of 37-40. My guess is his shooting % will go up noticeably.

That doesn't really explain why he would hit his first shot, then miss 9 in a row. We're not talking about the end of games here.

Anyone notice that Cooney is following a very similar pattern to last year? We get to the tail end of the season and his shooting has gone completely into the tank. Maybe he just wears down over the season from playing too many minutes.

Anyone notice that Cooney is following a very similar pattern to last year? We get to the tail end of the season and his shooting has gone completely into the tank. Maybe he just wears down over the season from playing too many minutes.

Why doesn't Gbinije wear down? He's played a ton of minutes and does a lot more for the team. He plays above the rim more and runs the break better.

That doesn't really explain why he would hit his first shot, then miss 9 in a row. We're not talking about the end of games here.

Because he's shooting with hope rather than confidence?

Why doesn't Gbinije wear down? He's played a ton of minutes and does a lot more for the team. He plays above the rim more and runs the break better.

G is a better athlete?

G runs north south, TC runs in constant semi circles. Its like comparing someones throat to someones intestine, look up the actual length of ea. lol. I have also always believed that forwards can take a bit of a rest at times in back of zone when no action on their side. Tough for guards to take a break in top of zone when the ball is mostly in a guards hand

Cooney isn't that great of a shooting guard. He has talent, sure, but he's not an elite shooter.

The biggest thing with Cooney, IMO, is that if he's shooting 35%, he's shooting 35% in pretty much any situation (e.g., closely guarded step back, wide open kick out, fast break pull-up 3, etc.) whereas some dead eye shooters are like 85% when left open and 30% when closely guarded. I'd rather G take a wide open 3 than Cooney because I've seen Trevor brick waaaaay too many "easy" shots.

RE: Joseph shooting threes

You can't expect a guard with solid shooting form to pass up wide open threes in rhythm. We've seen Joseph hit some threes and I wouldn't be surprised if he finished his career in the low 30% range from deep. I know 'close' doesn't count, but he did not miss those threes by much either.

Cooney has to spend all his time running around to "get free" to get the ball and get a shot.

Gbinije can "free himself" with the ball when he wants to, and, at worst, can simply elevate over
the defender to get his shot off.

Kev

One day Cooney's going to break that rim or die trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom