The Downside - LSU | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - LSU

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I referenced the 2002 game at Auburn and the LSU game in the Dome two years ago. We competed very well in each game and in each season, it didn’t matter. We were unable to maintain that level of play and finished 4-8. Last year we upset Virginia Tech and got some great publicity out of Dino’s speech. And then we lost our last four games. Good performances mean little if you don’t sustain that level of play.

- Two plays: the interception on the first play and the dropped pass in the end zone by Riley. Syracuse 33 LSU 28.

- Two more plays: The safety drifts toward the sideline for no apparent reason on the 43 yarder just before the half and watches the play go by him. The safety on the other side bites on the run on first play of the second half. The corner gets no inside help and chases the guy 87 yards to the goal line. We’re lucky they didn’t follow up with more deep plays.

- That first play interception was one of the most ill-conceived plays I’ve seen. Per Chris Gedney’s description after the game, Dontae Strickland was sent out of the backfield to line up at the wide receiver spot on the side where LSU’s best corner, “Greedy” Williams was playing. Williams knew that a back wasn’t going to much more than curl route so he jumped it. Strickland, not being trained as a wide receiver, just waited for the ball to come to him and it never got there. You’re going to open the game with that, not having done anything to set it up?

- Yes, Dino should have gone for two to get within a score. 10 points behind is two scores. 9 points behind is two scores. Simple math.

- Our passes continue to be almost exclusively along the sideline. The two that weren’t were both improvised on scandals and the play was wide-open for TDs, although one was dropped. Ravian Pierce caught 3 passes for 21 yards and one of those was a Dungey pop pass that was also an innovation. Make them play the whole field!

- Dontae Strickland has now carried the ball 44 times for 134 yards, 3.0 yards per carry. He’s on a pace for a 402 yard season. And this is with all those sideline passes supposedly stretching the defense horizontally.

- Hopefully Kendall Coleman will be back next week. He was having a great game.

- I don’t know where they got those refs but they knew who got them. They kept interrupting play, preventing SU from getting plays off, including one that would have prevented a review that resulted in a reversal. They got the call right but stopping the game to make sure it happened favored one team over the other. The official clock had to be constantly reset and wasn’t working at all through much of the third quarter and when Coleman was injured his removal to the locker room for x-rays and treatment was delayed because the LSU people “couldn’t find “ the injury cart.

- The Middle Tennessee game was “one that got away”. So was this one. We will likely find at the end of the season that we didn’t have any margin for error.

• They were ACC refs who might be the worst in the nation as a collective.
  • Sean Riley has two plays this season that have been a major factor in their loss. It's inexcusable to drop open balls especially for touchdowns.

• They were ACC refs who might be the worst in the nation as a collective.
  • Sean Riley has two plays this season that have been a major factor in their loss. It's inexcusable to drop open balls especially for touchdowns.

Group photo of the refs:

8a-unhappy-stooges.jpg

Remember when we did a QB sneak on first down because the sideline crew hadn't changed their markers from third to first down?

Generally the pace of games is slower this season due to the zebras I think ... but I know there was at least one time where Dino would have gone for it on fourth down on a quick QB sneak if the ref did not stand over the ball and prevent it. We punted instead.

strickland was stuck in mud. i wanted to see mo' moe. he was moving the chains.
I am NOT impressed with him at RB. No ability to routinely see a hole, anticipate a hole, or run through the garbage. He's like a smaller version of Trent Richardson. Difference is that Trent was big enough to power through the DL of inferior teams. Soon as he saw an NFL caliber line, though, his career crapped out.

Anyways, Strickland should move to WR. Much better there.

strickland was stuck in mud. i wanted to see mo' moe. he was moving the chains.

Moe only averaged 2.2. But he has a greater potential to break one. He's just not big enough to be a feature, between the tackles guy.

Of course, Jordan Fredericks had both.

cobb.jpg

Last edited:
moe (curly) neal had 42 yds rush/rec on 9 touches. strickland 26yds on 8 combined.

- I referenced the 2002 game at Auburn and the LSU game in the Dome two years ago. We competed very well in each game and in each season, it didn’t matter. We were unable to maintain that level of play and finished 4-8. Last year we upset Virginia Tech and got some great publicity out of Dino’s speech. And then we lost our last four games. Good performances mean little if you don’t sustain that level of play.

- Two plays: the interception on the first play and the dropped pass in the end zone by Riley. Syracuse 33 LSU 28.

- Two more plays: The safety drifts toward the sideline for no apparent reason on the 43 yarder just before the half and watches the play go by him. The safety on the other side bites on the run on first play of the second half. The corner gets no inside help and chases the guy 87 yards to the goal line. We’re lucky they didn’t follow up with more deep plays.

- That first play interception was one of the most ill-conceived plays I’ve seen. Per Chris Gedney’s description after the game, Dontae Strickland was sent out of the backfield to line up at the wide receiver spot on the side where LSU’s best corner, “Greedy” Williams was playing. Williams knew that a back wasn’t going to much more than curl route so he jumped it. Strickland, not being trained as a wide receiver, just waited for the ball to come to him and it never got there. You’re going to open the game with that, not having done anything to set it up?

- Yes, Dino should have gone for two to get within a score. 10 points behind is two scores. 9 points behind is two scores. Simple math.

- Our passes continue to be almost exclusively along the sideline. The two that weren’t were both improvised on scandals and the play was wide-open for TDs, although one was dropped. Ravian Pierce caught 3 passes for 21 yards and one of those was a Dungey pop pass that was also an innovation. Make them play the whole field!

- Dontae Strickland has now carried the ball 44 times for 134 yards, 3.0 yards per carry. He’s on a pace for a 402 yard season. And this is with all those sideline passes supposedly stretching the defense horizontally.

- Hopefully Kendall Coleman will be back next week. He was having a great game.

- I don’t know where they got those refs but they knew who got them. They kept interrupting play, preventing SU from getting plays off, including one that would have prevented a review that resulted in a reversal. They got the call right but stopping the game to make sure it happened favored one team over the other. The official clock had to be constantly reset and wasn’t working at all through much of the third quarter and when Coleman was injured his removal to the locker room for x-rays and treatment was delayed because the LSU people “couldn’t find “ the injury cart.

- The Middle Tennessee game was “one that got away”. So was this one. We will likely find at the end of the season that we didn’t have any margin for error.

All great points, and yes, we continue to ignore the middle of the field. Watch cfb highlights nationwide. Chunk plays between the numbers galore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom