The Downside - LSU | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - LSU

SWC75

Bored Historian
- What’s up with JJ Starling? He had a good reputation as a shooter coming out of high school, shot 30% from three as a freshman, as did Judah Mintz. Both were expected to improve this season. Judah has: 9 for 21 (42.9%). JJ has fallen off the map: 1 for 18 (5.6%) JJ’s done some other things for us: he’s one of most enthusiastic rebounders with 39 in 7 games. I also think he’s actually a better point guard than Judah with 37 assists (to 29 for Judah). But a guard has got to be better than 1 for 18 from the arc. If JJ could shoot like he used to, our perimeter game wouldn’t be so dependent on whether Bell or Taylor had an ‘up’ game instead of a ‘down’ game.

- Taylor hit the boards with 7 against taller players but was 2 for 8. He was 2 for 5 from three but 0 for 3 inside the arc is not good.

- McLeod shouldn’t be 2 for 7 against anybody. He’s not shooting jumpers.

- It’s time Benny started so Red can go with the hot hand between Bell and Taylor.

- And we need to develop an alternative to Maliq being the back-up center so he can play some at his natural forward position. Peter Carey isn’t it. Hima would be good if he’s good. Can Patterson help us there?

- Wither Westry? Will he be playing this year? And how would we use him if he was available? He was 0 for 14 from three last year.

- I still wish we would make the press a regular part of our defensive scheme. We have so many players who would do well in it, especially Copeland.

I might be in the minority, but I'm not sure playing Brown alongside one of our offensively-limited centers would work well. Teams will clamp down and clog up the interior, and make one of our two streaky shooters beat them, which is not a position that will produce consistent wins for us. I'm open to being wrong though.

- What’s up with JJ Starling? He had a good reputation as a shooter coming out of high school, shot 30% from three as a freshman, as did Judah Mintz. Both were expected to improve this season. Judah has: 9 for 21 (42.9%). JJ has fallen off the map: 1 for 18 (5.6%) JJ’s done some other things for us: he’s one of most enthusiastic rebounders with 39 in 7 games. I also think he’s actually a better point guard than Judah with 37 assists (to 29 for Judah). But a guard has got to be better than 1 for 18 from the arc. If JJ could shoot like he used to, our perimeter game wouldn’t be so dependent on whether Bell or Taylor had an ‘up’ game instead of a ‘down’ game.

- Taylor hit the boards with 7 against taller players but was 2 for 8. He was 2 for 5 from three but 0 for 3 inside the arc is not good.

- McLeod shouldn’t be 2 for 7 against anybody. He’s not shooting jumpers.

- It’s time Benny started so Red can go with the hot hand between Bell and Taylor.

- And we need to develop an alternative to Maliq being the back-up center so he can play some at his natural forward position. Peter Carey isn’t it. Hima would be good if he’s good. Can Patterson help us there?

- Wither Westry? Will he be playing this year? And how would we use him if he was available? He was 0 for 14 from three last year.

- I still wish we would make the press a regular part of our defensive scheme. We have so many players who would do well in it, especially Copeland.
Agree with most everything here. Yeah, JJ's play has been disappointing. He has GOT to get it going. Maybe instead of trying to shoot himself back into it, he should take less shots and be more selective. Then, once the shot comes back, take more.

Not sure I agree with you on Benny though. While I'd like him to start because I think he is a key to a good season for us, I like what Red has done with him. He's sending a clear message to the team... if you want to act a certain way, it will cost you your starting job and minutes. I'm glad he hasn't caved in. That said, hopefully soon Benny can start getting more minutes.

I agree with both responses on Benny. That's a head-scratcher of a comment.

McCleod looks slow and lost out there at times. Why is the center position so tough for us to fill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom