The Downside- Maryland | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Maryland

SWC75

Bored Historian
- 58-56, 56-55, 59-62, 60-66, 57-55. Are we having fun yet? Being a sports fan is supposed to be fun. If your team stinks, you can tune them out and send your time on something else. If your team is great, every game is a highlight film. But if a team takes it down to the wire game after game, even when it shouldn’t go down to the wire, it’s an ordeal, not an entertainment. I’m a loyal fan so I’ll keep watching but we really need to find a way to get to 70 points and be able to relax a bit at t the end of the game- and have a feeling of optimism for the next game. No optimism = no fun.

- In the last three games we had leads of 13, 9 and 12 points and came very close to losing all three. In this game we were up 51-39 and went 6-16 down the stretch. We really didn’t make the plays we needed to win the game

- We always hope Trevor Cooney will make his first shot because that will be a sign that he is “on” and will have a big game for us. Tonight he made his first two shots, (both three)s. The second gave us a 14-8 lead with 13:35 left in the first half. He then missed 10 shots in a row, including 7 three pointers. He finally made a two pointer with 1:58 left, then missed another 3, then went 1 for 2 from the line, allowing Allen’s last shot to be for the win. Since his big game against Notre Dame our shooting guard is 16 for 54 from the field, (.296), including 11 for 40 from the arc. (.275). He’s basically looked like last year’s Cooney.

- Rakeem Christmas looked on the verge of stardom vs. NC State with 14 points, 12 rebounds and 7 blocks. His shadow showed up tonight: 0 points, 1 rebound, 0 blocks, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls. He did a great job of complaining to the refs.

- Michael Gbinije, after his good game returning to Duke, tried hard to duplicate it but whiffed. 1 for 5 from the field. 1 reb, 1 assists, 2 turnovers five fouls.

- As discussed in prior posts there are problems with this stat but I’ll present it anyway. We attempted 41 two point shots and 19 threes. They attempted 18 two pointers and 22 threes. Shouldn’t we have drawn the most fouls and gotten to the line more than they did? We committed more fouls, 19-13 and went to the line 6 times to 27 for them. In the two games of this road trip we’ve attempted 94 two point shots, been fouled 28 times and attempted 20 free throws. Duke and Maryland have attempted 45 two point shots, been fouled 39 times and gone to the line 52 times. It’s at least counter-intuitive, if not totally illogical.

- We just got Baye Moussa Keita back. Now Jerami Grant is on the bench with a back problem. They hope to get him ready for Virginia this weekend. If it isn’t one thing….

" He did a great job of complaining to the refs."

Another terrific one liner from our own Henny Youngman.

I completely agree that watching the games this year has been an ordeal. In spite of our record, this has been the least fun year by far since the 2008 NIT team.

" He did a great job of complaining to the refs."

Another terrific one liner from our own Henny Youngman.

I completely agree that watching the games this year has been an ordeal. In spite of our record, this has been the least fun year by far since the 2008 NIT team.
Tough to generate any offense when you have no bench. We finally had an op to play major bench mins and Grant goes down. We got what 3 games in 17 days coming up, these guys need a break. All i saw was holding shorts the last six mins

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom