The Downside- Miami | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Miami

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Early on our offense was ring-around-the-rosey and we were settling for threes. Our first six shots were threes and most were on passes that came in from the side and forced the shooter to turn to catch them and then turn back to shoot the ball. Later we started to penetrate and dish and got more open shots with the shooter already squared to the basket when he caught the ball.

- Chukwu’s pilot light was out in the first half. JB didn’t waste much time watching him do nothing and pulled him for Sidibe and then Dolezaj. Even in his good second half, paschal and Marek played paddy-cake, paddy-cake with one rebound until they both lost control of it and it wound up in a Miami fast break.

- We have the tallest line-up in the country. Miami has the shortest in the ACC. We got out-rebounded 28-39. It was 12 -24 in the first half. We just got out-hustled to long rebounds and we got blocked out for the short ones. We seemed to be surgically attached to the backs of the Hurricanes. “But you can’t block out from a zone.” When the ball goes up, you aren’t in a zone or a man for man. You are rebounding. Find an opponent and get inside of him. Then run to the ball.

- Oshae Brissett needs to develop a medium range jump shot. He gets the ball and the defenders collapse toward the basket, waiting for his drive. He doesn’t shoot it because he’s not at the three point line. Instead he drives into the defense and gets tangled up in it, forcing him to shove the ball toward the basket in corkscrew fashion. He was 2 for 8 tonight and scored 7 points against a team that shouldn’t be able to guard him.

Oshae Brissett needs to develop a medium range jump shot. He gets the ball and the defenders collapse toward the basket, waiting for his drive. He doesn’t shoot it because he’s not at the three point line. Instead he drives into the defense and gets tangled up in it, forcing him to shove the ball toward the basket in corkscrew fashion. He was 2 for 8 tonight and scored 7 points against a team that shouldn’t be able to guard him.
This, plus he needs to get just as frustrated at his inability to finish as we all are.

This, plus he needs to get just as frustrated at his inability to finish as we all are.

I have heard all about "needs to get stronger" for him to finish better. Im sure there is some truth to that...but his bigger liability is lack of hand eye coordination. He simply has trouble making layups. Im sure hes stronger than alot of guards who finish better than he does.

I have heard all about "needs to get stronger" for him to finish better. Im sure there is some truth to that...but his bigger liability is lack of hand eye coordination. He simply has trouble making layups. Im sure hes stronger than alot of guards who finish better than he does.
Yeah, I don't think it's strength either. He seems pretty strong to me. I think it's more about confidence going inside. You can sort of tell by how tentative he is when he starts many of his drives. He's not sure of himself. He doesn't BELIEVE he can finish from the very first step. Belief matters a great deal.

He has no handle and is (IMHO) afraid of getting his shot blocked which leads to the dance routine that accompanies every shot at the rim. I think he is a quick jumper (especially on the second jump) but not able to elevate in traffic and I think he knows this too. I do wonder what he did in the off-season because not one aspect of his game has improved.

- Early on our offense was ring-around-the-rosey and we were settling for threes. Our first six shots were threes and most were on passes that came in from the side and forced the shooter to turn to catch them and then turn back to shoot the ball. Later we started to penetrate and dish and got more open shots with the shooter already squared to the basket when he caught the ball.

- Chukwu’s pilot light was out in the first half. JB didn’t waste much time watching him do nothing and pulled him for Sidibe and then Dolezaj. Even in his good second half, paschal and Marek played paddy-cake, paddy-cake with one rebound until they both lost control of it and it wound up in a Miami fast break.

- We have the tallest line-up in the country. Miami has the shortest in the ACC. We got out-rebounded 28-39. It was 12 -24 in the first half. We just got out-hustled to long rebounds and we got blocked out for the short ones. We seemed to be surgically attached to the backs of the Hurricanes. “But you can’t block out from a zone.” When the ball goes up, you aren’t in a zone or a man for man. You are rebounding. Find an opponent and get inside of him. Then run to the ball.

- Oshae Brissett needs to develop a medium range jump shot. He gets the ball and the defenders collapse toward the basket, waiting for his drive. He doesn’t shoot it because he’s not at the three point line. Instead he drives into the defense and gets tangled up in it, forcing him to shove the ball toward the basket in corkscrew fashion. He was 2 for 8 tonight and scored 7 points against a team that shouldn’t be able to guard him.

I'd love to see him drive to the hoop and pull up from 5-8 feet and knock down a jumper. That would be fantastic.

Yeah, I don't think it's strength either. He seems pretty strong to me. I think it's more about confidence going inside. You can sort of tell by how tentative he is when he starts many of his drives. He's not sure of himself. He doesn't BELIEVE he can finish from the very first step. Belief matters a great deal.
Can be strong to power through contact, exceptionally quick (Grant), skilled, crafty, able to use either hand - it takes some talent to score inside against good defenders. If you get stuffed, or struggle more often than not, not sure how belief is the remedy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom