The Downside- Morehead State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Morehead State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- A really sloppy performance with 11 first half turnovers. Jalen Carey seemed overmatched by the Morehead guards, who, in the words of Matt Park, “got up in your face. JB said it was the lack of practice time. Physical strength and accommodating to a higher level of play may have been factors as well.

- Also struggling is Buddy Boeheim who is 2 for 18 from the field, including 1 for 10 from the three point line. He may be pressing too much because he’s the coach’s son.

- Morehead was 8-21 last year. They appear to be clearly better this year but we will have many superior opponents on the upcoming schedule and we did not look ready to beat them tonight.

- Marek Dolezaj hasn’t missed a shot, but there’s only been 4 of them. He had no rebounds in 13 minutes. JB said in his presser that Oshae and Elijah are our best forwards. We’ll see how Marek does coming off the bench.

You have to think when Frank comes back that Buddy's playing time becomes limited. Buddy is good for a freshmen, I'm not knocking him. You just have to wonder if he's ready yet for ACC play.

Hopefully he can hit some threes when he does get minutes. I do like his feel for the game. Defensively he will be a problem, though. He’s just not very quick laterally.

Apparently the whole board was at the game tonight and at a bar after the game = few posts. I watched tonight’s game on my iPad in MN enjoying several brews so maybe I’m just being optimistic but I never felt tonight’s game was in doubt. This team will only get better. Carey may struggle & his stats aren’t good but I can see tons of potential & think he’ll be fine. Buddy knows the game- his shot isn’t falling but it will. Nice to have a sniper off the bench later. Never thought I’d miss Frank but I do & hope he’s healthy when he comes back. This team can improve & with Oshae & Tyus has the studs to make a deep, deep run.

Having Frank back will benefit everyone, but for some reason I think it might benefit Buddy most. I think he's feeling a lot of pressure to produce, and playing too many minutes for an inexperienced frosh. When he can come in as a sniper, I'm hoping to see his shooting efficiency go way up.

I wish we didn't play exhibition games vs. D2 opponents. Games vs. LeMoyne and St. Rose do nothing for us except give us a false sense of security. We look like world beaters in these exhibitions and it hides flaws. We should play closed scrimmages vs D1 P5 schools. These early problems would be exposed before regular season games. Didn't I hear that Villanova played North Carolina in one of those scrimmages. I think it was mentioned during the week we played NC in football.

Playing time in these early games for Buddy & Jalen is a gift. Gives them a dose of reality -- and then they need to improve in practices. Despite the improved depth, JB is going to give big minutes to Frank (when healthy), Tyus, Hughes, and Oshae.

Apparently the whole board was at the game tonight and at a bar after the game = few posts. I watched tonight’s game on my iPad in MN enjoying several brews so maybe I’m just being optimistic but I never felt tonight’s game was in doubt. This team will only get better. Carey may struggle & his stats aren’t good but I can see tons of potential & think he’ll be fine. Buddy knows the game- his shot isn’t falling but it will. Nice to have a sniper off the bench later. Never thought I’d miss Frank but I do & hope he’s healthy when he comes back. This team can improve & with Oshae & Tyus has the studs to make a deep, deep run.

I was hopping back and forth between streams of SU-Morehead State and my other alma mater, CNS vs. Elmira. 2-0 baby!

- A really sloppy performance with 11 first half turnovers. Jalen Carey seemed overmatched by the Morehead guards, who, in the words of Matt Park, “got up in your face. JB said it was the lack of practice time. Physical strength and accommodating to a higher level of play may have been factors as well.

- Also struggling is Buddy Boeheim who is 2 for 18 from the field, including 1 for 10 from the three point line. He may be pressing too much because he’s the coach’s son.

- Morehead was 8-21 last year. They appear to be clearly better this year but we will have many superior opponents on the upcoming schedule and we did not look ready to beat them tonight.

- Marek Dolezaj hasn’t missed a shot, but there’s only been 4 of them. He had no rebounds in 13 minutes. JB said in his presser that Oshae and Elijah are our best forwards. We’ll see how Marek does coming off the bench.
So I have a question about Carey’s father. This is a man who seemed to be connected to his son by the hip, and as a coach before a dad. I am not criticizing this, just stating it so I can ask my question. So, has Mr. Carey relinquished the coaching of his son to Boeheim? Anyone know how that is working? I am betting that the strain of playing in front of his dad on the big stage is pretty huge for Jalen.

So I have a question about Carey’s father. This is a man who seemed to be connected to his son by the hip, and as a coach before a dad. I am not criticizing this, just stating it so I can ask my question. So, has Mr. Carey relinquished the coaching of his son to Boeheim? Anyone know how that is working? I am betting that the strain of playing in front of his dad on the big stage is pretty huge for Jalen.

How would I know? (I don't know about Buddy either- just wondering.)

How would I know? (I don't know about Buddy either- just wondering.)
That was a general question to anyone who might be reading this post, although I do EXPECT you have all kinds of inside info that you might occasionally share with the board. ;)

The Buddy question is also interesting. I might even venture to say it’s fascinating.

My quick hitter observations
1. Buddy may feel pressed, and may have some questions regarding his ability to play defensively, but I was shocked at what appeared to be a lackadaisical approach at least through one stretch. Passes went by him as his arms weren't raised. He didn't "dig" at the ball and stay with players who got a step inside. Needs to ratchet the intensity. That doesn't play in our defense. Dad?
2. Marek seems very unhappy. I know, I know, hard to interpret what is going on from expressions and body language. However, he went from a key contr8butor on an overacheiving squad to a limited role. Concenred about his reaction when he was substituted for.
3. Sidibe is VERY quick on his defensive slides.

My quick hitter observations
1. Buddy may feel pressed, and may have some questions regarding his ability to play defensively, but I was shocked at what appeared to be a lackadaisical approach at least through one stretch. Passes went by him as his arms weren't raised. He didn't "dig" at the ball and stay with players who got a step inside. Needs to ratchet the intensity. That doesn't play in our defense. Dad?
2. Marek seems very unhappy. I know, I know, hard to interpret what is going on from expressions and body language. However, he went from a key contr8butor on an overacheiving squad to a limited role. Concenred about his reaction when he was substituted for.
3. Sidibe is VERY quick on his defensive slides.
Can't worry about Marek's feelings. If Oshae and Elijah are lighting it up, they're gonna get bulwark of minutes. Same thing with Paschal and Sidibe. I still think Marek will get significant minutes as backup forward for Oshae, Elijah and third center behind Paschal and Sidibe. Marek is great insurance for foul trouble at either position.

Can't worry about Marek's feelings. If Oshae and Elijah are lighting it up, they're gonna get bulwark of minutes. Same thing with Paschal and Sidibe. I still think Marek will get significant minutes as backup forward for Oshae, Elijah and third center behind Paschal and Sidibe. Marek is great insurance for foul trouble at either position.

Is he still with the cheerleader?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom