The Downside - NC State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - NC State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Shrader continued his trend, (against BCS teams) of alternating brilliant plays with mistakes, especially those two interceptions late in the first half. Actually he was almost intercepted two plays in a row, (yeah, I know that’s impossible). It was two ill-advised “I think I’ll try this throws into coverage. Then he got excited after a 36 yard pass to Gadsden and tried to go deep again, throwing a deep sideline pass to the inside, where the DB could get to it, rather than on the outside, where only his guy could reach it.

- We avoided penalties for most of the game but started to accumulate them in the late going while trying to nail the game down. Many were false starts or illegal formation type penalties we need to learn to avoid. Per Brent Axe, we are officially the most penalized team in the country. It’s amazing we have gone 6-0 with such a handicap.

- The officials had a couple of peculiar spots and missed some obvious penalties, including a couple on us. Garrett Shrader seemed across the line of scrimmage on that replay of the big pass to Alford and Max Mang made an obviously downfield block on another play. But the interference call on Isaiah Johnson seemed bogus.

- The injuries keep piling up. Garrett Williams missed the second half. Mikel Jones had to come out for a while. Duce Chestnut left the game. These are big names for us and I hope this promising season doesn’t fade because we can’t keep our beat players out there.

- Can anybody tell me why, when we had a capacity crowd, Sections 304-307 were empty, as they often seem to be at the beginning of game? Some people filtered into those seats as the game progressed but I just don’t understand the phenomenon.

On three occasions during the game the broadcast team showed replays of pass plays with our wide receivers streaking wide open downfield behind coverage. Or so it appeared. Shrader threw to other targets closer to the LOS those plays. Did anyone else see that?

On three occasions during the game the broadcast team showed replays of pass plays with our wide receivers streaking wide open downfield behind coverage. Or so it appeared. Shrader threw to other targets closer to the LOS those plays. Did anyone else see that?
Multiple times… on one play close to the end zone he missed the TE wide open for a TD, waited on a receiver closer to him to again get open and the proceeded to miss the pass. I said something similar in the game thread and got lambasted, but I’ll say it here, I love Shrader's warrior spirit but he has not been nearly consistent enough since the first two games (not counting Wagner).

One other downside I observed was the D's inability to get off the field in the second half until NC State went into throw every down mode. It felt like they converted a third or fourth down for every first. Granted all the injuries probably made it that much tougher snd they only gave up field goals, so a very small nit to pick.

Multiple times… on one play close to the end zone he missed the TE wide open for a TD, waited on a receiver closer to him to again get open and the proceeded to miss the pass. I said something similar in the game thread and got lambasted, but I’ll say it here, I love Shrader's warrior spirit but he has not been nearly consistent enough since the first two games (not counting Wagner).

One other downside I observed was the D's inability to get off the field in the second half until NC State went into throw every down mode. It felt like they converted a third or fourth down for every first. Granted all the injuries probably made it that much tougher snd they only gave up field goals, so a very small nit to pick.

What we did against NC State’s offense was criminal, we embarrassed them at bare minimum. No complaints from me there.

And really no complaints about Shrader, he’s a good QB it just seems he could be even better and more efficient. We need him to be if we want a chance of beating Clemson.

- The officials had a couple of peculiar spots and missed some obvious penalties, including a couple on us. Garrett Shrader seemed across the line of scrimmage on that replay of the big pass to Alford and Max Mang made an obviously downfield block on another play. But the interference call on Isaiah Johnson seemed bogus.
On that play to Alford when the NC St. guy went down with the fake injury to prevent SU from snapping ball quickly to facilitate the review I though that's when the Carolina mafia screw job was gonna happen. Shocked they didn't review Garret over the LOS.

On that play to Alford when the NC St. guy went down with the fake injury to prevent SU from snapping ball quickly to facilitate the review I though that's when the Carolina mafia screw job was gonna happen. Shocked they didn't review Garret over the LOS.

Shrader’s calf and foot were still behind the LOS.
TIL - As long as ANY part of his body is behind the LOS - it’s legit/no penalty.

There was a BLATANT targeting on Tucker when he was already down that didn’t get called.
Helmet-to-helmet. WTAF??!!

Kinda shocked Mang didn’t get called for that block downfield.

I’d say the refs were balanced -
They made a ton of atrocious calls for and against both teams fairly equally.

They did review it. The ref came back and said the call of the QB being behind the line of scrimmage was confirmed.

Shrader’s calf and foot were still behind the LOS.
TIL - As long as ANY part of his body is behind the LOS - it’s legit/no penalty.

There was a BLATANT targeting on Tucker when he was already down that didn’t get called.
Helmet-to-helmet. WTAF??!!

Kinda shocked Mang didn’t get called for that block downfield.

I’d say the refs were balanced -
They made a ton of atrocious calls for and against both teams fairly equally.
That wasn’t helmet to helmet on Tucker but it was targeting - at least as I understand it from this article:

And I agree it was a late hit - that was the easy call to make IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom