The Downside - New Hampshire | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - New Hampshire

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I assumed that this game would be a virtual continuation of the exhibition season and decided to watch it from home. When we were up 32-9 with 8:51 left in the first half, it seemed like a good decision. The rest of the same was a nervous 51-63. We were lucky that New Hampshire’s best player, Clarence Daniels, (who looked like the best player on the floor when he was on it it), got into foul trouble and that the Wildcats (6 for 28) weren’t that much better than us, (5 for 21) at shooting form the three point arc. I kept waiting for UNH to have a hot streak that would turn the game completely around and it never happened.

- The fears that we wouldn’t have enough of a three point game seem well-founded. We are now 17 for 65 from three in the three games so far. That’s 26.2% and it’s not going to get us the spacing we want in the half court game. Justin Taylor is a fine 8 for 15 but Chris Bell is just 4 for 18. Kyle Cuffe is 4 for 12, although he hit one we really needed when it was 51-45 with 14:12 left. The guys who looked so much better in practice than before: Mintz, Starling and Copeland, are 1/17. The only one they’ve made so far is a bleeder by Mintz that hit the front rim and somehow climbed over it and in. Benny Williams has the other three attempts. He missed them all.

- I was hoping that we’d use more defensive pressure to avoid getting stuck in the half court game. Not just man-for-man rather than zone but an actual proactive press. 40 Minutes of Orange. Nope.

- In the three games we’ve out-rebounded our opponents, who have no big men to speak of, 107-87. +17 isn’t bad but I’d hoped for more with our size, athleticism and now playing from a man-for man, where it’s more possible to box out opposing players.

- Judah Mintz had led us in scoring with 20 points in both games he’s played but his playing style wears thin sometimes and It’s hard to imagine it working on the next level. He’s all arms and legs, bouncing off people, taking dives to the floor while flipping up impossible shots, (He’s 8 for 25 from the field and sometimes ignores his teammates. As long as he gets the calls and gets to the line and makes them, (23 for 27 in two games), he’ll be good enough for us. But I liked the way UNH’s star, Daniels was so smooth in everything he did and just let the game come to him. I can’t help but think that someday Judah will be watching him on TV.

- The list of teams we’re going to play that we wouldn’t have beaten tonight is a long one. But this team just hatched from the egg.

- I assumed that this game would be a virtual continuation of the exhibition season and decided to watch it from home. When we were up 32-9 with 8:51 left in the first half, it seemed like a good decision. The rest of the same was a nervous 51-63. We were lucky that New Hampshire’s best player, Clarence Daniels, (who looked like the best player on the floor when he was on it it), got into foul trouble and that the Wildcats (6 for 28) weren’t that much better than us, (5 for 21) at shooting form the three point arc. I kept waiting for UNH to have a hot streak that would turn the game completely around and it never happened.

- The fears that we wouldn’t have enough of a three point game seem well-founded. We are now 17 for 65 from three in the three games so far. That’s 26.2% and it’s not going to get us the spacing we want in the half court game. Justin Taylor is a fine 8 for 15 but Chris Bell is just 4 for 18. Kyle Cuffe is 4 for 12, although he hit one we really needed when it was 51-45 with 14:12 left. The guys who looked so much better in practice than before: Mintz, Starling and Copeland, are 1/17. The only one they’ve made so far is a bleeder by Mintz that hit the front rim and somehow climbed over it and in. Benny Williams has the other three attempts. He missed them all.

- I was hoping that we’d use more defensive pressure to avoid getting stuck in the half court game. Not just man-for-man rather than zone but an actual proactive press. 40 Minutes of Orange. Nope.

- In the three games we’ve out-rebounded our opponents, who have no big men to speak of, 107-87. +17 isn’t bad but I’d hoped for more with our size, athleticism and now playing from a man-for man, where it’s more possible to box out opposing players.

- Judah Mintz had led us in scoring with 20 points in both games he’s played but his playing style wears thin sometimes and It’s hard to imagine it working on the next level. He’s all arms and legs, bouncing off people, taking dives to the floor while flipping up impossible shots, (He’s 8 for 25 from the field and sometimes ignores his teammates. As long as he gets the calls and gets to the line and makes them, (23 for 27 in two games), he’ll be good enough for us. But I liked the way UNH’s star, Daniels was so smooth in everything he did and just let the game come to him. I can’t help but think that someday Judah will be watching him on TV.

- The list of teams we’re going to play that we wouldn’t have beaten tonight is a long one. But this team just hatched from the egg.
I would like to think Red is holding some stuff back before he hits Hawaii.

Red need to show tape of the first half when we pushed the ball, sped up the game and SHARED the ball. Judah and JJ were mostly playing one on one basketball and taking a lot of bad shots during the 2nd half. When we move the ball good things happen.

Last edited:
I feel like we are going to get crushed by some of these upcoming teams either by the three or our interior. Our interior is soft

Red need to show tape of the first half when we pushed the ball, sped up the game and SHARED the ball. Judah and JJ were mostly playing one on one basketball and taking a lot of bad shots during the 2nd half. When we move the ball good things happen.
A lot of that movement / fluidity was as a direct result of our D turning them over and forcing bad shots early on. Once our D went in the tank and we had to take the ball out under our basket at the start of a possession, the warts manifested

Sharing the ball is the first thing I look for. Not the spicy mustard look at me pass. The basic let's facilitate the offense with movement and passing and cutting. Passing is contagious and lack thereof is also contagious. We need to share the ball much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom