The Downside, (Pittsburgh) | Syracusefan.com

The Downside, (Pittsburgh)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- That may have been our best chance to get bowl eligible and we let it drift away with a series of plays I’m sure the kids want back: Ryan Norton’s missed extra point, (which he basically booted into the onrushing linemen). His missed field goal from 41 yard after making one from that distance previously. Durrell Eskridge bobbling his chance to catch at touchdown pass. Cameron Lynch falling on a fumble on Pitt’s first scoring drive but turning over and losing control of it as it slithered out of bounds. Eskridge dropping an interception thrown right to him on the same drive. Fourth quarter drives that began at the SU 49, the SU 38 and the SU that produced no points when all we needed was a field goal. Ouch, ouch and more ouch.

- We out-gained the Panthers 307-239 and were +2 on turnovers- and still managed to lose.

- Trick plays: Pitt has just scored and DeVante McFarlane stumbled out fo the end zone and gets tackled at the 15. This is the time that George McDonald decides to put Ashton Broyld in the wildcat. He hands off to Jerome Smith for 2 yards. SU gets a fumble at the end of the half on the Pitt 24. 20 seconds left. We have one time out- to use for the field goal. We line up in a crazy formation with offensive linemen in from of wide receivers. Hunt has about 6 guys around him. He runs the ball for no gain and they have to burn the time out. We got the field goal anyway but still… Less than 7 minutes left, down one, we get a first down at the Pitt 49 on a Hunt pass to Beckett Wales. Then they put Broyld behind center again so he can run the option. He falls, unhit, flat on his butt. Really? Really?

- Trick Plays II: We got the ball on the SU 49 in the fourth quarter with 12:18 left. We run a flea-flicker and it would have worked except 1) Hunt doesn’t get any air under the ball and 2) Chris Clark was held and nothing was called. Then, on the final possession we hesitate to send the field goal team in and the offense jogs off- except for Josh Parris, who stays at the sideline. Only 10 guys have come in on the “kicking team”. Parris is standing there alone and Charley Loeb tosses the ball to him so he can waltz in for the winning touchdown. It would have been on every Sports Center. But Paul Chryst called a time out just as the ball was being snapped and the refs blew the whistle. Terrel Hunt then throws an incomplete pass on fourth down and the game is over. Chryst had every right to call the time out and the refs had no choice but to honor it. But I’ve always had a pet peeve about coaches calling time out as the ball is being snapped. It’s not recognized until the play is underway. We’ve seen field goals missed and then made on the next play. I recall a game against Louisville where Doug Marrone called a time out at the snap and the Cardinals fumbles and one of our players scooped it up and was headed for the goal line when he heard the whistle. How about a rule that a coach can’t call a time out once the players are set?

- For the second straight game Terrell Hunt bobbled a shot-gun snap that looked like a good snap for a big loss. Is there a problem with his hands? Or maybe someone doesn’t know the signals and snapped it too early?

- Players are dropping like flies. I don’t know the injury report but we had guys down on the field being treated half a dozen times, two on one play. The regular season can’t end soon enough. These guys need time to heal up, hopefully just a month.

- Now we have to try to beat the nation’s leading rusher to get to a bowl. If we fail it will be the second time in three years that we needed to win just one of several games to make it and remained stuck on ‘5’.

- Matt Parkism: An incomplete pass with a holding penalty. “This one’s coming back.” From where? Also there are those abbreviations on the score board. Montana played Montana State today. Not that anyone around here cares. But their score was displayed as “Monta 7 Monta 7”. No wonder it was tied.

- It was a long day at the Dome. I drove there in the fall and drove back in the winter.

- How about a rule that a coach can’t call a time out once the players are set?

I'm in total agreement with this. I think a rule like this is definitely needed (although I enjoyed seeing Edsall get screwed over when he called timeout on the missed BC field goal and then they made it).
I think the rule should be if the coach wants to ice a kicker, he has to do it before the O-line is set and the holder is into the snap count.

"How about a rule that a coach can’t call a time out once the players are set?"

i'd agree heartily. once the centers hand touches the ball all bets are off the table. you play the hand you got.

"It was a long day at the Dome. I drove there in the fall and drove back in the winter."

Funny comment, Steve!! Course, it coulda been summer when you went there and came back in the snowstorm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom