The Downside- Seattle | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Seattle

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I confess I didn’t see the whole game. I watched the end of the football game and took in the post-game show, then remember the basketball game must be on. It was 15-6 when I tuned in. I was also typing up my Upside/Downside on the football game and listening to the basketball game, so this analysis is based on what I saw and what the box score shows me.

- We had a 43-20 lead with 2:40 left in the first half. Ten minutes and 58 second alter, it was 61-54, an 18-34 stretch against a team that barely belongs in Division I. The Red Hawks, (they used to be the Chieftains back in the day), made their first seven threes of the second half. From what I saw, we weren’t exactly in their faces.

- We seem to give up a lot of rebounds to opposing guards. Virginia’s Kihei Clark had 11 against us and tonight Seattle’s Terrell Brown had 7 when he wasn’t throwing in 23 points.

- Buddy Boeheim made a couple of early threes but otherwise struggled with 3 for 9 shooting. The portions I saw he seemed to be rushing things and not getting fully squared to the basket.

- Brycen Goodine didn’t score and had 3 turnovers in 13 minutes. He did have 3 assists but I’m not really seeing much so far.

- JB certainly tightened his bench. In a game where we took command early and had mostly big leads, he went with 5 starters plus two reserves, (Quincy Guerrier and Brycen Goodine) who played 30 of the bench’s 38 minutes and those other 8 went to Jesse Edwards (6) and two walk-ons. Sleeping with the fishes: Robert Braswell, Jalen Carey and Howard Washington. (John Bol Ajak is red-shirting.) Guerrier was the only bench player who scored. Four starters played 30+ minutes and Elijah Hughes played all 40.

- Seattle was ranked #322 out of 353 Division 1 teams. If college basketball had an FCS, they would be in it and nowhere near the top of it.

I can think of another one but not from the team nor staff. I was tempted to revive my "The Backside" trtibute to SWC75, and have it mostly be about watching the game(or better put, not watching it). Heck, even the audio stream didn't work for me a chunk of the game. If I can overcome my concerns aboutupsetting people by complaining, I still might do it, but not tonight or tomorrow.

Good write up as usual SWC, I hope nobody gets too offended by you mentioning just how badly Seattle is ranked. Video problems keeping me busy made me upset that I didn't get to wager, but for much of the 2nd half I felt glad I did't wager, even though they eventually covered the spread. Not sure if I feel confident betting on the next game...one of the small amount of impactful decisions I can make regarding the team.

Was it really their first 7 threes of the second? Wow. There were also a few long twos sprinkled in there. I actually thought a lot of them had at least a hand in their face. The knock on effect of all those threes was it stretched our D and gave them more room on the inside... what are you going to do?

Agree on Goodine... I'm not seeing much yet. He seems afraid to finish his moves. He'll get by the guy guarding him and seemingly panic and throw it back out to the perimeter. Why not keep the ball and try to stress the D a bit? I question whether this team is better off with Goodine as the first guard of the bench vs Carey?

What exactly happened last game w/ Carey? Was Seattle a defacto one game suspension by the coach? Is he done for the year? Right now Girard is clearly better than Carey, but Carey is clearly better than Goodine. So... What?

We saw a return of Marek to the 5 which I wasn't hoping to see. Edwards seemed a little lost today.

Possible reasons we are giving up so many rebounds to guards? Girard loves to leak out or hang by the 3 point circle for a potential run out. Buddy's lack of foot speed forces him to overcommit in guarding the 3 which then puts him totally out of position on the rebound. This is probably made even worse by the extended 3 point line. Our guards are going to be in scramble mode a lot on D which will make it hard for them to grab rebounds.

My sense is this team has plenty of offensive firepower, but it remains to be seen whether that will translate against the big 5 conference teams. The perimeter D is okay but we are going to get gouged on the inside, especially when Sidibe is in foul trouble. My big fear is that we get crushed on the boards which will limit running opportunities.

Depth is a huge concern... there seems to be a MAJOR drop-off on the bench after Guerrier. I think we will need Carey as a part of the rotation if this team is going to achieve its potential.

Was it really their first 7 threes of the second? Wow. There were also a few long twos sprinkled in there. I actually thought a lot of them had at least a hand in their face. The knock on effect of all those threes was it stretched our D and gave them more room on the inside... what are you going to do?

Agree on Goodine... I'm not seeing much yet. He seems afraid to finish his moves. He'll get by the guy guarding him and seemingly panic and throw it back out to the perimeter. Why not keep the ball and try to stress the D a bit? I question whether this team is better off with Goodine as the first guard of the bench vs Carey?

What exactly happened last game w/ Carey? Was Seattle a defacto one game suspension by the coach? Is he done for the year? Right now Girard is clearly better than Carey, but Carey is clearly better than Goodine. So... What?

We saw a return of Marek to the 5 which I wasn't hoping to see. Edwards seemed a little lost today.

Possible reasons we are giving up so many rebounds to guards? Girard loves to leak out or hang by the 3 point circle for a potential run out. Buddy's lack of foot speed forces him to overcommit in guarding the 3 which then puts him totally out of position on the rebound. This is probably made even worse by the extended 3 point line. Our guards are going to be in scramble mode a lot on D which will make it hard for them to grab rebounds.

My sense is this team has plenty of offensive firepower, but it remains to be seen whether that will translate against the big 5 conference teams. The perimeter D is okay but we are going to get gouged on the inside, especially when Sidibe is in foul trouble. My big fear is that we get crushed on the boards which will limit running opportunities.

Depth is a huge concern... there seems to be a MAJOR drop-off on the bench after Guerrier. I think we will need Carey as a part of the rotation if this team is going to achieve its potential.

I'd like to combine Carey's aggressiveness with Goodine's caution and achieve a happy balance. Can you do that?

pomeroy has them at 184, smack in the middle.

Seems more accurate from what I saw. They are playing the best teams they will play all year right nowso their results are poor. The WAC used to be what the mountain West is now but it got too big and the core schools abandoned it for the new conference. The MW since then has been absorbing the WAC's best teams and the WAC barely qualifies as a D-1 conference any more. I really wish there was a FCS in basketball to give the kids in the lower major a chance at national title and to "clean out" the NCAA tournament so we can get right down to determining who the best teams are.

pomeroy has them at 184, smack in the middle.

Stat on tv last night showed them returning 88.8% of their scoring , their top 4 guys easily scoring average in the double figures. They returned a cohesive offense with good firepower, yet except for the stretch to start the second half struggled to make shots. Some of that was our defense, some was just plain missing shots. This could be a sign of how extending the 3 point line is going to hurt some teams.

Our guards combined for 9 rebounds which is the same amount we got from our centers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom