The Downside - Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Syracuse

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I didn’t realize that quarters could be reduced to 10 minutes. This is throw-back to the early days of college football. In 1904, Syracuse clobbered Manhattan 144-0. The result was apparently anticipated as it was agreed the first half would last 20 minutes and the second half 12. In 1917, when Georgia Tech nipped Cumberland 222-0, the third and fourth quarters were reduced to 12 minutes, as it was 126-0 at halftime. In 1968, Syracuse traveled to Berkeley to play California and committed 9 turnovers to lose what was supposed to be a confrontation between the country’s 10th and 11 ranked teams, 0-43. The final turnover was a pick six with more than 7 minutes left in the game that caused the fans to storm the field. Ben Schwartzwalder and Cal Coach Ray Willsey agreed to let the game end there. It’s unfortunate that we had to have such a game today but I can’t disagree with the decision. Wagner had long since ceased trying to win the game. They only passed the ball 6 times and declined to go for it on fourth down. They just wanted the clock to run.

- It underscored the fact that this game should never have been scheduled. The NCAA football divisions have unofficial levels within divisions, such as the Power-Five and the Group of Five in FBS. In FCS, there are strong programs that probably should be in the Group of 5, (such as North Dakota State), solid FCS programs that are good sometimes, (like Colgate) and programs that belong in the lower divisions and are here just to collect the guarantees, as Wagner did today. Wagner, in fact is clearly the worse of the latter group, having sustained their 24 straight loss. They haven’t won a game in this decade. We’ve now played then three times and the results have been 54-0, 62-10 and not 59-0 in a 50 minute game. Enough!

- There is NO EXCUSE for Sean Tucker or Garrett Shrader to have been in the game to start the second half. When questioned in this post-game press conference about why he did this, said it was “extremely logical” and that it was the “normal procedure” to have the starting unit out there to start the second half of a blow-out, “then you start putting back-ups”. I would agree if we were talking about a 4-5 touchdown lead in a game against a Power Five opponent: they have the means to do to you in the second half what you did to them in the second half. You want to re-establish dominance to keep a lid on the game. But Wagner was down 0-49 and wasn’t even trying to win the game. They’d already asked for 10 minute quarters. Dino agreed because, (as he said afterward), because we’ve had too many players injured. There wasn’t going to be any miracle comeback. Shrader said in the presser “We were going for records”. Whether he was kidding and just wanted a rise out of reporters I don’t know but Matt Park suggested during the game that they might want Sean to break Joe Morris’s school record of 252 yards rushing. Dino said after the Louisville game that they left Sean in because he has a chance to win the Heisman. Sean isn’t going to win any award based on what he does against Wagner. He’d need a series of games like this against the ranked teams we are going to play to even get in the conversation: he had little pre-season recognition and he’s gotten off to a bad start. It’s hard to come back from that and the Wagner game isn’t going to start a Heisman campaign. As to the record, Joe Morris set that record against a Power Five team. All right, it was Kansas but Kansas isn’t Wagner. Getting the record in this game should have an asterisk next to it.

- Sean seemed cleared unconscious on the field. The medical people had to turn him over on his back. It was the third time he’s been down this year. Will he really be able to play in two weeks? He seemed OK at the presser but…

- Garret Shrader’s pass completion record will last a long time but, in truth, (to use a phrase I used in the preview to describe the Seahawks’ 7-66 loss to Rutgers), he was just playing catch with his receivers, who were wide open on the vast majority of those plays. It looked like the tailgaters in the parking lots before the game. I’ll credit Wagner for one thing: they were sure tacklers once the balls were completed. They just couldn’t cover anybody.

- We lost Terry Lockett last week and this week Denis Jaquez as our young line gets thinner and thinner. (I don’t know if Jaquez is out for the year but it looked serious. Rob Hanna got tagged for targeting in the second half, as Justin Barron was last week. Barron lost his appeal and had to miss the first half vs. Wagner. If Hanna loses his, he won’t be available for the first half against NC State.

- Dino, looking to reduce penalties, didn’t like 8 for 75 yards. Even Wagner had only 3 for 25.

- I really wanted to see more of the back-ups, especially Del Rio-Wilson. A full 30 minutes might have been informative.

Last edited:
- I didn’t realize that quarters could be reduced to 10 minutes. This is throw-back to the early days of college football. In 1904, Syracuse clobbered Manhattan 144-0. The result was apparently anticipated as it was agreed the first half would last 20 minutes and the second half 12. In 1917, when Georgia Tech nipped Cumberland 222-0, the third and fourth quarters were reduced to 12 minutes, as it was 126-0 at halftime. In 1968, Syracuse traveled to Berkely to play California and committed 9 turnovers to lose what was supposed to be a confrontation between the country’s 10th and 11 ranked teams, 0-43. The final turnover was a pick six with more than 7 minutes left in the gamer that caused the fans to storm the field. Ben Schwartzwalder and Cal Coach Ray Willsey agreed to let the game end there. It’s unfortunate that we had to have such a game today but I can’t disagree with the decision. Wagner had long since ceased trying to win the game. They only passed the ball 6 times and declined to go for it on fourth down. They just wanted the clock to run.

- It underscored the fact that this game should never have been scheduled. The NCAA football divisions have unofficial levels within divisions, such as the Power-Five and the Group of Five in FBS. In FCS, there are strong programs that probably should be in the Group of 5, (such as North Dakota State), solid FCS programs that are good sometimes, (like Colgate) and programs that belong in the lower divisions and are here just to collect the guarantees, as Wagner did today. Wagner, in fact is clearly the worse of the latter group, having sustained their 24 straight loss. They haven’t won a game in this decade. We’ve now played then three times and the results have been 54-0, 62-10 and not 59-0 in a 50 minute game. Enough!

- There is NO EXCUSE for Sean Tucker or Garrett Shrader to have been in the game to start the second half. When questioned in this post-game press conference about why he did this, said it was “extremely logical” and that it was the “normal procedure” to have the starting unit out there to start the second half of a blow-out, “then you start putting back-ups”. I would agree if we were talking about a 4-5 touchdown lead in a game against a Power Five opponent: they have the means to do to you in the second half what you did to them in the second half. You want to re-establish dominance to keep a lid on the game. But Wagner was down 0-49 and wasn’t even trying to win the game. They’d already asked for 10 minute quarters. Dino agreed because, (as he said afterward), because we’ve had too many players injured. There wasn’t going to be any miracle comeback. Shrader said in the presser “We were going for records”. Whether he was kidding and just wanted a rise out of reporters I don’t know but Matt Park suggested during the game that they might want Sean to break Joe Morris’s school record of 252 yards rushing. Dino said after the Louisville game that they left Sean in because he ahs a chance to win the Heisman. Sean isn’t going to win any award based on what he does against Wagner. He’d need a series of games like this against the ranked teams we are going to play to even get in the conversation: he had little pre-season recognition and he’s gotten off to a bad start. It’s hard to come back from that and the Wagner game isn’t going to start a Heisman campaign. As to the record, Joe Morris set that record against a Power Five team. All right, it was Kansas but Kansas isn’t Wagner. Getting the record in this game should have an asterisk next to it.

- Sean seemed cleared unconscious on the field. The medical people had to turn him over on his back.it was the third time he’s been down this year. Will he really be able to play in two weeks? He seemed OK at the presser but…

- Garret Shrader’s pass completion record will last a long time but, in truth, (to use a phrase I used in the preview to describe the Seahawks’ 7-66 loss to Rutgers), he was just playing catch with his receivers, who were wide open on the vast majority of those plays. It looked like the tailgaters in the parking lots before the game. I’ll credit Wagner for one thing: they were sure tacklers once the balls were completed. They just couldn’t cover anybody.

- We lost Terry Lockett last week and this week Denis Jaquez as our young line gets thinner and thinner. (I don’t know if Jaquez is out for the year but it looked serious. Rob Hanna got tagged for targeting in the second half, as Justin Barron was last week. Barron lost his appeal and had to miss the first half vs. Wagner. If Hanna loses his, he won’t be available for NC State.

- Dino, looking to reduce penalties, didn’t like 8 for 75 yards. Even Wagner had only 3 for 25.

- I really wanted to see more of the back-ups, especially Del Rio-Wilson. A full 30 minutes might have been informative.
I completely share your disgruntledness about that game!

Yeah, disappointing about Hanna. Hate to see him out for the first half against NC St. It also wasn't the best look on tv when he was on the sidelines, after getting booted from the game, clowning around with teammates.

they really should win the hanna appeal since it was the opening second half kickoff so he basically already missed half a game

Yeah, disappointing about Hanna. Hate to see him out for the first half against NC St. It also wasn't the best look on tv when he was on the sidelines, after getting booted from the game, clowning around with teammates.
Why have a problem with him enjoying a blowout with his teammates? We were up 49-0. It's not like the outcome of the game was in doubt.

Why have a problem with him enjoying a blowout with his teammates? We were up 49-0. It's not like the outcome of the game was in doubt.
it also wasnt a head/neck one is was more dangerous for him leading with his helmet then the opposition

I don't really have a problem either way but wasn't too excited to see him clowning around after being tossed in the game and especially, the first half of NC State game. The outcome of NC State will likely be in doubt.

I don't really have a problem either way but wasn't too excited to see him clowning around after being tossed in the game and especially, the first half of NC State game. The outcome of NC State will likely be in doubt.
at least he is a backup safety and not a starter

at least he is a backup safety and not a starter

The two deep is the real starting line up these days. it's the third level that are the reserves.

they really should win the hanna appeal since it was the opening second half kickoff so he basically already missed half a game
I don’t think it is based on that.

I don’t think it is based on that.
im saying that if it was 1 play before the half he wouldnt have to sit the first half of the next game, since it was on opening kickoff we could get benefit of the doub especially since it wasnt that bad

im saying that if it was 1 play before the half he wouldnt have to sit the first half of the next game, since it was on opening kickoff we could get benefit of the doub especially since it wasnt that bad
I am saying it should be explicitly spelled out what the rules are and not be subjective based on the whether or not the player played meaningful snaps.
The appeal is whether it was actual targeting or not.

In games that have instant replay, when a targeting foul occurs in the second half, the carryover penalty (of sitting out the first half of that player's next game) will be eligible for further appeal.

The process will begin with a conference submitting a request to the NCAA national coordinator of officials, who would review video of the play. If it is obvious that a player was incorrectly penalized for targeting, the call would be overturned, and the player would be cleared to play in the first half of the next game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom