The Downside - UNC Greensboro | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - UNC Greensboro

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Taurean Thompson had a good statistical game – because statistics mostly measure offense. On defense, the was a total revolving door. On consecutive possessions he didn’t stop a guy at the baseline and gave up a three point play. JB pulled him and began lecturing him on the bench. Thompson talked back to Boeheim a couple of times. I don’t know what he was saying. He may have been making excuses or complaining about the lecture or something else. But when you let people blow by you for lay-ups and fouling the guy rather than playing defense twice in a row, you have nothing to say. Just listen to what your Hall of Fame coach is telling you, kid.

- He also didn’t get back to prevent fast breaks and was clueless about what to do with the ball against the press. At one point Matt Park shouted “What’s he doing?” He’s a freshman. But he’s a freshman with 33 games under his belt. It would be nice to see some improvement.

- I’ve been watching Syracuse basketball for more than 50 years and I have never seen a player with a wider range of performance quality than John Gillon. He can be historically great as he was against NC State and Duke or he can be AWOL, as he was tonight. A player who scored 43 points in one game last month played 28 minutes and never attempted a shot. O for o. he was 4 for 4 from the free throw line but the second four was the problem: he never drove to the basket. He had 5 assists but 4 turnovers. And the turnovers were ugly, including one where he just allowed Diante Baldwin to take the ball away from him and run down court for an uncontested three which made it 81-74 with 2:05 left.

- In the first half we won the boards 19-8. In the second half it was 17-29.

- We had 17 turnovers and only 8 were Greensboro steals. That’s 9 unforced turnovers. The Spartans had 9.

- The visitors shot an absurd 61.9% against our much taller, supposedly more talented team. They had 46 points in the paint to our 24. A big part of that was that we had to concentrate on Francis Alonso, who was supposed to be their main threat but allowed Demetrius Troy to hit 4 three pointers and score 14 points in the first half. Now we had to cover both of them and it stretched our defense out. But, still, we had a backcourt that went 6-5, (Howard), and 6-6 (Battle) and we were allowing direct passes into the paint- and hot to the high post but into the middle of the paint. Our big men had to come up to cover and left the baseline open. Other teams surely saw this and we’ve got to figure out how to shut this off.

- I hate games that go from 69-47 to 81-74, even if we pull them, out. Some might say that the purpose of a 22 point lead is to win by 13. To me the purpose of a 22 point lead is so you can win by 30. Close out strong!

rocky3.jpg

Tsquare. these games are for you. still i shake i my head and wonder. i know you can play better. do it.

tho TT did show some constraint second half with catching the rock and actually dishing to team mates.

-
- I hate games that go from 69-47 to 81-74, even if we pull them, out. Some might say that the purpose of a 22 point lead is to win by 13. To me the purpose of a 22 point lead is so you can win by 30. Close out strong!

I agree!! However, maybe they were told not to win by too much, to prevent fans from leaving too early to "beat the traffic"?

Thompson is such a weird player. He's so skilled at some things, and a complete space cadet on others.

I'm guessing he was really poorly coached while he was learning to play ball.

lydon to me actually looked more engaged tonite than usual. maybe he realizes the spotlight has dimmed.

lydon to me actually looked more engaged tonite than usual. maybe he realizes the spotlight has dimmed.

Never have thought he doesn't play hard, but he got beat at least a couple times tonight after not running hard.

Never have thought he doesn't play hard, but he got beat at least a couple times tonight after not running hard.
Lydon had a nice game but looked bad on a couple plays. Did anyone think he looked like he lost some weight. He really needs to hit the weight room this off season.

He didnt have a good defense game. But baseline was all Lydon. Lydon moved up to the free throw line whil AWIII was already extended to 3 point line and this left Thompson on an island defending two players on baseline. I think that is why he was upset. He was being scolded but Lydon left him in a terrible position and there wasnt much he could do about it.

Lydon looked lost defensively. He lost a defender on the backline next to the hoop all game long

The visitors shot an absurd 61.9% against our much taller, supposedly more talented team. They had 46 points in the paint to our 24. A big part of that was that we had to concentrate on Francis Alonso, who was supposed to be their main threat but allowed Demetrius Troy to hit 4 three pointers and score 14 points in the first half. Now we had to cover both of them and it stretched our defense out. But, still, we had a backcourt that went 6-5, (Howard), and 6-6 (Battle) and we were allowing direct passes into the paint- and hot to the high post but into the middle of the paint. Our big men had to come up to cover and left the baseline open. Other teams surely saw this and we’ve got to figure out how to shut this off.

How many times did we lose the guy at the baseline? Seriously, I lost count. Seemed like a LOT...

Greensboro got more run out lay ups than I can remember an SU team giving up.

I remember a few years ago when CJ Fair was a Senior. He was pre-season ACC Player of the Year. Didn't perform anything close to POY. He was an excellent member of the supporting cast prior to his Senior year but when he was asked to be THE man, he did not perform as well. Same could be true of Lydon. Last year as someone who was not looked at to play a starring role on the team, he did fantastically well. This year, as an expected star, he did not perform as well as most thought he would. Maybe it was his achilles injury. Maybe it was his teammates this year as opposed to last year. I think defensively he was fine -- solid rebounder and played the center position well despite being undersized most nights. Anyway, I hope he returns next year. One hopeful sign is both he and Battle were Academic All ACC which means they enjoy the classroom as much as the court.

I remember a few years ago when CJ Fair was a Senior. He was pre-season ACC Player of the Year. Didn't perform anything close to POY. He was an excellent member of the supporting cast prior to his Senior year but when he was asked to be THE man, he did not perform as well. Same could be true of Lydon. Last year as someone who was not looked at to play a starring role on the team, he did fantastically well. This year, as an expected star, he did not perform as well as most thought he would. Maybe it was his achilles injury. Maybe it was his teammates this year as opposed to last year. I think defensively he was fine -- solid rebounder and played the center position well despite being undersized most nights. Anyway, I hope he returns next year. One hopeful sign is both he and Battle were Academic All ACC which means they enjoy the classroom as much as the court.

I beg to differ on CJ Fair senior year. The ending to the season was premature but he was more then the supporting cast.

Fair led the team in scoring at 16.4 points per game. He was the leading scorer in 17 out of 34 games. He was a finalist of the Naismith, Wooden and Oscar Robertson player of the year awards. He was named first-team All-ACC and second-team All-American.

Two observations on Thompson:
1. How about the play where he rebounded and then just bent over and held the ball like a statue just waiting to get tied up. Even the Greensboro kids were confused.
2. While I agree he was awful defensively, the riot act isn't working here. At some point when your sitting down and somebody is spitting in your face for 5 minutes, your going to react. So please with everybody's " I don't like his reaction to instruction on the bench" crap. Which of you guys is motivated by somebody 2 inches from your face hollering at you? I give credit to these kids for showing the restraint that they do.

I beg to differ on CJ Fair senior year. The ending to the season was premature but he was more then the supporting cast.

Fair led the team in scoring at 16.4 points per game. He was the leading scorer in 17 out of 34 games. He was a finalist of the Naismith, Wooden and Oscar Robertson player of the year awards. He was named first-team All-ACC and second-team All-American.
Just my opinion. He shot 27.6% from 3-point line. 42.9% overall which is decent but hardly outstanding. Led the team with 85 turnovers. By far the most and considering he wasn't a guard, not good at all. I think he had a solid season, like Lydon, but not equal to expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom