The Downside- Virginia Tech | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Virginia Tech

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Jim Boeheim said at halftime that tech was very physical on defense that we hadn’t dealt with it well. The refs were letting them get away with it but it’s kind of like the strike zone in basketball. You have to be aware of what they are going to call and what they aren’t going to call find a way to work around it. Jim said our players needed to take advantage of their aggressiveness and get around them and drive to the basket. We did that during the 11-0 run at the start of the second half but that was it. We let Tech intimidate us.

- Defensively, we were a pass behind the whole first half. Tech has multiple shooters and there was always someone wide open. Often it was Justin Robinson, who scored 24 first half points on 7 for 8 three pointers. We did a much better job on defense in the second half but he got 11 more points for 35, (he averages 13) and he had 8 assists to boot. He had 34 net points. We had no answer for that.

- Certainly not Tyus Battle, who was 3 for 10 and scored 10 ineffectually points. Actually, I was surprised to see that he got 10 shots off. He seemed to lack his usual confident aggressiveness. After having 6 rebounds and 9 assists against Miami, he went back to his usual 2 and 2. He had 7 net points.

- Certainly not Elijah Hughes, who had by far his worst game of the year, 6 points and 4 turnovers on 2 for 13 shooting. He had -5 net points.

- Certainly not Paschal Chukwu, who “makes us a different team” when he plays well and did not do that tonight with 2 points, 3 rebounds, 0 blocks and 5 fouls. He had -2 net points.

- Certainly not Marek Dolezaj, who rarely saw the ball when he was in there and thus contributed little. He had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals 0 blocks. 3 net points.

- For the third straight game, we got out-rebounded. In fact, the only ACC game where we won the boards was the first one, Notre Dame. We broke even vs. Georgia Tech. We are the tall4est team in the country. We had one of our best rebounding teams of recent years last year and everybody was back. It shouldn’t be like this.

- We can usually make up a rebounding deficit with takeaways but we had one more turnover than Tech did, 14-13 and only 4 of our turnovers were steals. The other 10 were unforced.

- No, the refs didn’t help. We were hit on every two point attempt in the first half and at least one three and only two fouls were called. At least one of the traveling calls was non-sense. Tech was getting away with hand-checks, shoves and trips. The refs started to call that stuff at the start of the second half and that was a big factor in our mini-comeback. Then they went back to calling the game the way they did in the first half. The fouls calls went 8-2, 0-5, then 7-3, then 2-5 with a lot of “make-up” calls.

- That’s said, we didn’t take advantage of the calls we got at the line, going 7 for 14 including the front end of a couple one on ones.

- Tech played like the #10 team in the country. We played like….not.

SWC, you know I like you...but the downside could have been summarized by "tuning in to watch this game", and the upside could be, "when it was time to turn it off". There's my effort for years of not being concise.

SWC, you know I like you...but the downside could have been summarized by "tuning in to watch this game", and the upside could be, "when it was time to turn it off". There's my effort for years of not being concise.

I prefer exploratory surgery to "Take two and call me in the morning".

i shut it down at halftime. written on the blackboard 100 times . we will not win this game.

Cannot win when we are being outrebounded by a much shorter team. PC has to give us something. He was awful. Frank seemed especially slow rotating to shooters. Only player that really showed up was Brissett.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom