The Downside - Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This was a Syracuse victory taken from us by the referees. I know – sour grapes. But not this time. We lost in overtime in a game where Wake Forest was called for 11 fouls and we were called for 21, (at one point it was 7-19). That by itself doesn’t prove anything – maybe we committed 21 fouls and they only 11. But we had several plays where the repay didn’t show any foul at all. I recall one where Cole Swider just stood there with his hands raised straight up and got called for a foul. What did he foul with? (I hesitate to reply.) Wake didn’t take full advantage of having 11 more free throw attempts: they only made 4 more, although that was enough. The biggest result was that Jesse Edwards, who was dominating inside, played only 20 minutes, missing the last 9 minutes of the game. Then there was the first inbounds attempt with 11 seconds left. Buddy Boeheim, a 90% free throw shooter, was fouled – exactly what we wanted. Except Wake had only been called for 6 fouls in the second half so we had to inbound again – and that was the play where two Wake players rolled into Buddy and the ball went out of bounds, with no foul call. Wake subsequently scored and we lost in overtime. With an evenly called game, Buddy goes to the line on the first inbounds – and we’re probably ahead by more than just 2 points because Jesse’s in there down the stretch. It wasn’t the defense – Wake came in averaging 80 points per game and got 69 in regulation. It wasn’t the rebounding – we won that 49-42. It wasn’t turnovers – we had 9, they had 13. It was the refs, pure and simple. We desperately needed this game and they took it away from us.

- OK, I got that off my chest. It didn’t help that after making our first four threes, we were 4 for 25 the rest of the night. Joe Girard had 11 points in the first half and 2 in the second. He and Buddy Boeheim were both 2 for 9 from three and a combined 8 for 32 overall. We just needed one more in regulation.

- Jimmy Boeheim at center – No Bueno, as Matt Park likes to say. But Frank Anselem wasn’t giving us much when he was in there. Frank Sissorhands.

- Symir Torrence only played 5 minutes, not much of a sample. Benny Williams hit a couple of jumpers but missed his other 5 shots.

- Somebody always goes off against us. Tonight it was Alondes Williams, who had 25 points and 14 rebounds.

- I’ve mentioned it before but this basketball season seems like just an extension of the football season, where we found ways to lose three consecutive games by the margin of a field goal. Both teams are good enough to have goals but not good enough to achieve them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom