The Downside- Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
- After the good start, (21-10),we reverted to the team we’d seen the four previous weeks and got out-scored 0-35 before making it look better than it was with a couple of late scores. It wasn’t really a shoot-out. More of a firing squad. Our patchwork offensive line gave way while our patchwork defense couldn’t stop Wake Forest. Our 5th straight loss was in full view long before we arrived at the destination.

- Injuries continue to over-whelm this team. I looked at the depth chart for the Louisville game with considerable nostalgia:
Game 1 Depth Chart / Game Notes | Louisville
I count 5 guys on offense and 6 on defense who didn’t play in this game from the two-deep, (I included stellar linebacker Mikel Jones, who did play but went out early).

- We’re going to lose guys early to the pros, (has Bergeron opted out?), and to the transfer portal and we have only 10 commits for next year’s class:
Unless we bring in a busload of transfers, our depth problems are not about to go away.

- AT Perry is a big Syracuse fan. He loves it when we come to town- or he tours. He had 10 catches for 119 yards and 3TDs this year after 3 for 137 yards and 3 scores last year.

- Wake wasn’t supposed to be able to grind it out on the ground against us the way Clemson, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Florida State did. They were averaging just 128 yards per game, 95th in the country. In this game they rushed for 212 yards.

- Sam Hartman was Sam Hartman 30/43 331 yards and 4TDs, no picks.

- The winning margin: Garrett Shrader wouldn’t throw the ball away and suffered two sacks after we’d gotten down to the Wake 11 yard line. Andre Szmyt then missed a 52 yard field goal. Then, in the fourth quarter Garrett threw that Pick 6.

- We continue to commit too many penalties: 7 for 49 yards, including 2-3 “free plays” for Wake.

- I’d complain about the holding call that negated the touchdown pass to Adams and the ‘catch’ Perry made in the corner of the end zone if I felt we had been the better team, but we weren’t.

- After the good start, (21-10),we reverted to the team we’d seen the four previous weeks and got out-scored 0-35 before making it look better than it was with a couple of late scores. It wasn’t really a shoot-out. More of a firing squad. Our patchwork offensive line gave way while our patchwork defense couldn’t stop Wake Forest. Our 5th straight loss was in full view long before we arrived at the destination.

- Injuries continue to over-whelm this team. I looked at the depth chart for the Louisville game with considerable nostalgia:
I count 5 guys on offense and 6 on defense who didn’t play in this game from the two-deep, (I included stellar linebacker Mikel Jones, who did play but went out early).

- We’re going to lose guys early to the pros, (has Bergeron opted out?), and to the transfer portal and we have only 10 commits for next year’s class:
Unless we bring in a busload of transfers, our depth problems are not about to go away.

- AT Perry is a big Syracuse fan. He loves it when we come to town- or he tours. He had 10 catches for 119 yards and 3TDs this year after 3 for 137 yards and 3 scores last year.

- Wake wasn’t supposed to be able to grind it out on the ground against us the way Clemson, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Florida State did. They were averaging just 128 yards per game, 95th in the country. In this game they rushed for 212 yards.

- The winning margin: Garrett Shrader wouldn’t throw the ball away and suffered two sacks after we’d gotten down to the Wake 11 yard line. Andre Szmyt then missed a 52 yard field goal. Then, in the fourth quarter Garrett threw that Pick 6.

- We continue to commit too many penalties: 7 for 49 yards, including 2-3 “free plays” for Wake.

- I’d complain about the holding call that negated the touchdown pass to Adams and the ‘catch’ Perry made in the corner of the end zone if I felt we had been the better team, but we weren’t.
Best penalty of the night was Allen hitting a guy ten seconds after the punt returner gave himself up. That showed hustle and intelligence

Have not won a November game in three years and yet many in this fan base will be happy to maybe finish 7-5 with a possible win over a Dr. Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde Boston College team that isn’t very good. Against Syracuse the good Doctor will probably show up. This program is the poster child for a Ground Hog Day Program and after seven years of the same thing with one outlier year, this what you are always going to get.

Louisville, the team we beat so badly to open the season, is now 7-4 while we are 6-5.

In the last 20 years, we've endured:
- a 1-6 start in 2002
- a 3 game November losing streak in 2003
- the bookend 0-51 and 14-51 games of 2004
- 9 straight losses in 2005
- a 5 game losing streak in 2006
- Two three game streaks and an 0-4 November in 2007
- Two more three game losing streaks in 2008
- Another in 2009
- A five game losing streak after a 5-2 start in 2011
- Two 8 touchdown losses in 2013
- A four game losing streak and a 5 game losing streak in 2014
- An 8 game losing streak after a 3-0 start in 2015
- An 0-4 November in 2016
- Five straight losses after the Clemson win in 2017
- That Maryland game plus four straight losses, including that BC game in 2019
- Eight straight losses in 2020
- Two three game losing streaks in 2021
- A five game losing streak after a 6-0 start in 2022.

We've gone 0 for November in 2005, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 and this year if we can't beat BC. That would be 9 times in 18 years - 50%. The overall SU November, (plus one game that was played in the first weekend in December) record in those 18 years is 14 wins and 53 losses: a 20.8% winning rate. The last winless November before this stretch was in 1982. That was the only winless November for Coaches MacPherson and Pasqualoni, who had a 55-30 November/first week of December record: 64.7%.

Have a nice day! :rolleyes::oops::cool:

Last edited:
My favorite play of the night was Carter's body slam which is an obvious penalty and him pounding his chest immediately after clearly unaware he was flagged.

My favorite play of the night was Carter's body slam which is an obvious penalty and him pounding his chest immediately after clearly unaware he was flagged.
The one where the whistle had not yet blown and the runner was looking to break out of the tackle? So Carter made sure he was not going to go anywhere. I loved that one also. Refs take too long to blow the whistle when forward motion is stopped. What do they expect to happen then? Honestly I would rather err on the side of being a little to tough then not being tough at all.

The one where the whistle had not yet blown and the runner was looking to break out of the tackle? So Carter made sure he was not going to go anywhere. I loved that one also. Refs take too long to blow the whistle when forward motion is stopped. What do they expect to happen then? Honestly I would rather err on the side of being a little to tough then not being tough at all.
Disagree. Everyone knows the body slam is going to be a penalty. The tapping of the chest immediately following adds further proof for me anyway that he did not know the rule or didn't care. He had plenty of other opportunities to be tough, just wasn't.

My favorite play of the night was Carter's body slam which is an obvious penalty and him pounding his chest immediately after clearly unaware he

Our “ patchwork” offensive line as you put it was the best I’ve seen in about 5 games. The 2 stupid sacks before the 1st half ended were on Shrader. They actually should be complimented, not criticized.

Louisville, the team we beat so badly to open the season, is now 7-4 while we are 6-5.

In the last 20 years, we've endured:
- a 1-6 start in 2002
- a 3 game November losing streak in 2003
- the bookend 0-51 and 14-51 games of 2004
- 9 straight losses in 2005
- a 5 game losing streak in 2006
- Two three game streaks and an 0-4 November in 2007
- Two more three game losing streaks in 2008
- Another in 2009
- A five game losing streak after a 5-2 start in 2011
- Two 8 touchdown losses in 2013
- A four game losing streak and a 5 game losing streak in 2014
- An 8 game losing streak after a 3-0 start in 2015
- An 0-4 November in 2016
- Five straight losses after the Clemson win in 2017
- That Maryland game plus four straight losses, including that BC game in 2019
- Eight straight losses in 2020
- Two three game losing streaks in 2021
- A five game losing streak after a 6-0 start in 2022.

We've gone 0 for November in 2005, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2021 and this year if we can't beat BC. That would be 9 times in 18 years - 50%. The overall SU November, (plus one game that was played in the first weekend in December) record in those 18 years is 14 wins and 53 losses: a 20.8% winning rate. The last winless November before this stretch was in 1982. That was the only winless November for Coaches MacPherson and Pasqualoni, who had a 55-30 November/first week of December record: 64.7%.

Have a nice day! :rolleyes::oops::cool:
Can you calculate the increase in our football coach's salary over this period? We've increased our wealth over our team's success. (At least I hope we did)

I think ND figured out how to beat our D and all teams after have followed their lead. Just let the O-line take their time and move the D-line back. for rushing gains of 5-7 yards every time. They don't even have to open a hole.
Bulldozing. Nothing fancy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom