The Downside - West Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - West Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
- The Pac 12 refs did the game and they made the ACC refs look like geniuses. Jamal Custis got held on one play, (at least), and had a guy plow into him who didn’t turn-around, usually an automatic interference call. No flag in either case but there was one when Jamal simply turned around to catch a long one down the sidelines and actual contact was minimal. More seriously, Eric Dungy was hit after a slide and twice after passes, no call. On one of them he was knocked for a loop and came up limping. That kid must have bruises on top of his bruises. The game was getting very chippy as a result and I thought there’s surely be a brawl but the refs finally decided to call some penalties, including a severe targeting call that took both Taj Harris and the perpetrator, Kenny Robinson, out of the game, Harris because of a sore neck and perhaps a concussion, Robinson because he was disqualified. But it was the beginning of getting the game under control.

- We made some incredibly stupid penalties, a total of 11 for 90 yards. Many were “concentration” penalties: false start, illegal motion, delay of game. Then there was Jamal Custis tackling a guy – around the neck- when all he had to do was stand there and his defended could not have gotten to Nykeim Johnson, who had the ball. And Evan Adams flying down the field, (as best a 330 pounder can fly), downfield to blow up a tackler who already had Johnson on the ground and after the refs had already called forward progress and blown the whistle.

- In the first half we could not protect Dungey and, as a result he struggled, throwing two interceptions. Most of this 31 yards lost from 5 sacks happened in that half. Some of it was coverage sacks but most of it was guys blowing in unblocked, usually because the ‘Neers overloaded one side of the line. I really can’t blame Dungey for much of it, although I can blame him for throwing an interception over the middle with 15 seconds left when we had no time outs.

- We led at the half but it didn’t seem like it. It seemed only a matter of time until West Virginia took over the game. Instead we did. But I wouldn’t call it a ‘fun’ game until the late going.

- Andrew Szmyt, who once seemed a lock to set the national record for field goals in a season, (31 is the record), came up one short of tying it. He doesn’t care, either.

- Neither of West Virginia’s two quarterbacks impressed me at all. Trey Lowe was 2 for 2 – for 2 yards. He went out after getting pancaked on a sack. Jack Daniels completed 17 passes for 277 yards but never got it into the end zone through the air and threw a big interception. He got sacked 4 times. A lot of his passes were badly off the mark. He looked like the sort of quarterbacks we used to have in the G-Rob era.

- Much of Daniel’s 277 yards came on blown coverages by SU. I shudder to think what Grier might have done to us if he had played. I could see West Virginia getting a big half-time lead and we never catch them. Caesar said “I came I saw, I conquered”. Grier never came, although I assume he was watching on TV. We conquered.

Last edited:
My biggest concern going into next year is the offensive line. It's not that they're bad, but if we want to get to the next level and reach our dream (playoff), they're going to have to step up IMO. They got worked against ND and at times outplayed tonight against a fast but weak WVU D-line.

Refs were the worst I've seen, maybe ever. The PI on Custis was the most ridiculous PI I've ever seen called. And I can't stand the douche color guy that refuses to contradict the refs. He has been like that in every game I've heard him call. How is it that one team had the refs from their conference doing the game? Isn't it supposed to be neutral?

There’s no downside.

There's always a Downside, even if a little one. :oops:

I like it better when people are telling me that there is no downside than when they are telling me that there is not upside.

Last edited:
My biggest concern going into next year is the offensive line. It's not that they're bad, but if we want to get to the next level and reach our dream (playoff), they're going to have to step up IMO. They got worked against ND and at times outplayed tonight against a fast but weak WVU D-line.

You know, before we think about making the playoff, let's just win 8 or 9 games again next year. Let's solidify our foundation. Let's build our depth. Let's have another step up in the recruiting. We want to be here for the next 10 years.

Dino seemed to like them at the press conference. (Go to 12:30)

Of course, we've got to replace three of them.

You know, before we think about making the playoff, let's just win 8 or 9 games again next year. Let's solidify our foundation. Let's build our depth. Let's have another step up in the recruiting. We want to be here for the next 10 years.

Next year's schedule looks extremely doable. 2019 Syracuse Football Schedule | Future Schedules

But you are right. I think we can be better next year than this year and better still the year after that. that may be the time to talk about making a run at the playoff, although maybe we shouldn't wait until Florida state and Louisville get it going again.

It's fun to talk about such things again, though. :cool:

Last edited:

Totally agree, don't mean to get ahead of myself.

Agree. BTW, I thought the refs were from the PAC-12, not the Big 12.

What a season!! 10-3 and a few plays from being 12-1.

I was listening to Matt Park while watching the TV, which was muted, I thought Matt said "Big 12". He may have said "Pac 12". Wherever they came from, they can't get back there fast enough.

- The Big 12 refs did the game and they made the ACC refs look like geniuses. Jamal Custis got held on one play, (at least), and had a guy plow into him who didn’t turn-around, usually an automatic interference call. No flag in either case but there was one when Jamal simply turned around to catch a long one down the sidelines and actual contact was minimal. More seriously, Eric Dungy was hit after a slide and twice after passes, no call. On one of them he was knocked for a loop and came up limping. That kid must have bruises on top of his bruises. The game was getting very chippy as a result and I thought there’s surely be a brawl but the refs finally decided to call some penalties, including a severe targeting call that took both Taj Harris and the perpetrator, Kenny Robinson, out of the game, Harris because of a sore neck and perhaps a concussion, Robinson because he was disqualified. But it was the beginning of getting the game under control.

- We made some incredibly stupid penalties, a total of 11 for 90 yards. Many were “concentration” penalties: false start, illegal motion, delay of game. Then there was Jamal Custis tackling a guy – around the neck- when all he had to do was stand there and his defended could not have gotten to Nykeim Johnson, who had the ball. And Evan Adams flying down the field, (as best a 330 pounder can fly), downfield to blow up a tackler who already had Johnson on the ground and after the refs had already called forward progress and blown the whistle.

- In the first half we could not protect Dungey and, as a result he struggled, throwing two interceptions. Most of this 31 yards lost from 5 sacks happened in that half. Some of it was coverage sacks but most of it was guys blowing in unblocked, usually because the ‘Neers overloaded one side of the line. I really can’t blame Dungey for much of it, although I can blame him for throwing an interception over the middle with 15 seconds left when we had no time outs.

- We led at the half but it didn’t seem like it. It seemed only a matter of time until West Virginia took over the game. Instead we did. But I wouldn’t call it a ‘fun’ game until the late going.

- Andrew Szmyt, who once seemed a lock to set the national record for field goals in a season, (31 is the record), came up one short of tying it. He doesn’t care, either.

- Neither of West Virginia’s two quarterbacks impressed me at all. Trey Lowe was 2 for 2 – for 2 yards. He went out after getting pancaked on a sack. Jack Daniels completed 17 passes for 277 yards but never got it into the end zone through the air and threw a big interception. He got sacked 4 times. A lot of his passes were badly off the mark. He looked like the sort of quarterbacks we used to have in the G-Rob era.

- Much of Daniel’s 277 yards came on blown coverages by SU. I shudder to think what Grier might have done to us if he had played. I could see West Virginia getting a big half-time lead and we never catch them. Caesar said “I came I saw, I conquered”. Grier never came, although I assume he was watching on TV. We conquered.
You must have been drinking Jack Daniel, their QB was Allison. Hope you enjoyed the JD !!!

I was listening to Matt Park while watching the TV, which was muted, I thought Matt said "Big 12". He may have said "Pac 12". Wherever they came from, they can't get back there fast enough.
They were PAC12 refs

Agree. BTW, I thought the refs were from the PAC-12, not the Big 12.

What a season!! 10-3 and a few plays from being 12-1.
What is interesting is that if Conway didn't miss his initial block and ran down field for another block, SU would have been in victory formation and Clemson would be 12-1. SU would have played in the ACC championship game and Clemson would not be in the playoffs.

What is interesting is that if Conway didn't miss his initial block and ran down field for another block, SU would have been in victory formation and Clemson would be 12-1. SU would have played in the ACC championship game and Clemson would not be in the playoffs.

That one play wouldve gotten us two wins huh.

That one play wouldve gotten us two wins huh.
I was thinking losses in just the Atlantic division. However, both teams would have had 1 loss in the acc and SU would have won the head to head.

I was thinking losses in just the Atlantic division. However, both teams would have had 1 loss in the acc and SU would have won the head to head.

Nm I read that as SU being 12-1

I did like the adjustments that were made at halftime though, I thought they played a lot better in the 2nd half both in protection and the running game. That’s always a good sign, we’ve had years that if the offensive line was weak in a particular game, it was all game.

I thought Curtis’s OPI penalty was legit. He initiated contact with both hands on the DB... initially i thought it was just to feel for where the DB was but you can clearly see on replays that he was pushing off. He needs to be a lot more subtle than that if he thinks he’s going to away with it.

Not sure why folks think Custis has pro prospects... he gets zero separation from the DB, rarely gets the ball and has no real feel for the position.

Maybe not. They have a pedigree. We don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom