The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I have a feeling that getting points for putting the ball was one of James Naismith’s first ideas. And one of his best. Tonight we just didn’t “get it”. Jerami Grant went 5 for 7. Our other starters were 11 for 44. Going 4 for 17 from the arc is bad but going 14 for 38 inside of it is disastrous.

- CJ vs. TJ: 3 for 16 vs. 9 for 21. 9 points vs. 28 points. Ball game. CJ is 32 for 89, (36%) in our losses. Against Florida State he was 9 for 13 from the field and we won by 16. If he’d been 9 for 13 in this game, we’d have won by 16, (or thereabouts), again. But should our offense depend on whether CJ is on or off?

- Jerami Grant was our only efficient offensive performer. Even Ennis was 6 for 18, (including missing his last five). He had more possession than his 5 for 7 shooting suggests- he attempted 13 free throws. Still, it seems to me he should have gotten the ball more than he did. He hardly got the ball in the first half, when CJ was playing the anvil chorus.

- When Tyler has to take over, it’s a bad sign because it means the offense just isn’t working. Our big men, in a particular, stop getting touches when that happens. In this game, CJ stopped getting the ball as well, although the way he was shooting that might not have been a bad thing. But it’s like our press: when we do that, expect to lose. It’s a desperation move.

- We started the game running at every opportunity and beating the Wolfpack down court. Their big centers couldn’t keep up with us. I thought Beoheim had finally realized that you can’t allow the other team to dictate the pace all the time and just hope you can win the type of game they want. Then we stopped running and it became another chapter in our recurring nightmare. We never once pressed, even thought we put up 39 points on Georgia Tech in the second half doing just that, (we gave up 36 but at least we won the half.)

- I love Baye Keita but there are two things I don’t like about him. They are at the end of his arms. He’s always had bad hands but I’ve never seen them this bad. He had about 5-6 possessions in a row in the second half when NC State took their big lead in which he bobbled the ball out of bounds, had it ripped form his hands or blew lay-ups, (there was a also a bad pass- backwards- with no one between him and the basket). I was screaming loud enough for Boeheim to hear it to get this guy out of the game. Our comeback began when he heard me. We’ve seen him play much better than this. I have to wonder if he’s injured- and I don’t mean the knee injury he suffered earlier. He’s become Edward Sissorhands. There’s got to be something wrong there.

- First we lost DaJuan Coleman. Then Keita wrenched his knee. Then grant hurt his back. Now Cooney twisted his ankle. He did hit that one shot but he clearly was hobbled the rest of the game. One more thing to worry about.

- People will focus on that last possession, and with good reason. But the game was lost earlier, really in the first half, when we had enough open shots to put this game away but mistook the back rim for the hoop.

- Some people in the chat room were arguing that Boeheim should have called a time out during that mess of a final possession. I have never seen a coach call a time out after a shot had gone up. I think he would have been ignored if he’d called for one, the action was so frenetic. The problem was the lack of poise on the court, not the decision aiming off of it. Our shots in that sequence came with 20, 15, 13, 12, 10 and 7 seconds. Our shooters had time to square themselves to the basket and go up with a makeable shot. Only CJ did and he left it short. The other shots look like they were taking place in a hurricane. I counted three airballs. The team really ought to be embarrassed about the extent to which they panicked in that situation.

- No SU-Duke III. At least not this week.

- Somewhere Herve Lamizana is smiling.

- We’ve gone from 25-0 to 27-5. That’s 5 losses in seven games. We seemed to have snapped out of it last week but went right back to the frustrating style of ball we have been playing since the first Duke game. At least we had a week to feel good about the team.

"I love Baye Keita but there are two things I don’t like about him. They are at the end of his arms."

Yeah, that was incredible to watch. It does feel as if there is some secret that we don't know about. Baye has to feel awful, too. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be those kids tonight.

"I love Baye Keita but there are two things I don’t like about him. They are at the end of his arms."

Yeah, that was incredible to watch. It does feel as if there is some secret that we don't know about. Baye has to feel awful, too. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be those kids tonight.

That's the thing you always have to remember after a tough loss. If you are angry, frustrated or depressed, how do you think the kids feel? We go back to our lives. This IS their lives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom