The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I know Wake will be better this year than the 3-9 team they had last year but they made us look bad in that first half. I thought it was 2005 all over again.

- The big difference in the first was protection. Our veteran line against their supposedly pitiful defense was a total mismatch- for them. Ant Bailey had no where to run and Ryan Nassib could do nothing but run. He couldn’t throw deep because he only had a coupe of seconds to get the throws off. Meanwhile Tanner Price had all the time he needed to pick apart our secondary, even when we blitzed. We eventually got to Price, (if he doesn’t get hurt, we lose, period) and got Nassib some time by rolling him out. But is this what it’s going to be like all year? If Nassib has to roll out that means that he’s got half the field and half his receivers to work with.

- Nearly as disappointing was the team’s mental make up to start the game. Dropped passes. Missed tackles, stupid penalties. Why? They’ve been working hard for a month to play like that?

- Kevyn Scott had a huge interception for us but until then he was the property of Chris Givens, who had 7 receptions for an embarrassing 170 yards. Whiff.

- The firs two times we score and got the crowd into it, the defense let Wake come back and score immediately. The first time it was pathetic: an out of bounds kick-off followed by a 60 yarder to Givens. We had the lead for 9 seconds. The second time it was demoralizing, an 11 play 76 yard drive where the pass into the flat was there whenever they needed it.

- Frozen brains. Jim Grobe let the clock run out on chances to score at the end of each half. I wonder if he regrets it now. Doug Marrone decided at the end to go for the chip-shot field goal. Three runs up the middle, despite having a new snapper and new holders and a edge rusher that was right there on every kick. Then we take a delay of game penalty to add five yards to it. NO matter. Bad snap, fumbled hold, low kick, block and it’s still 29-29. Where have you gone Rob Long? Orange Nation turns it’s lonely eyes to you.

- I still don’t know if Chew really caught the winner. I couldn’t tell watching it live if he was in bounds and had control or not. Only the one referee signaled it- although he was right in front of it. I craned my neck to look in the rich folk’s booth and saw a couple of shots of it and couldn’t tell. When I got home ESPN showed the play but has some kind of a graphic over the catch. I have a feeling it was upheld just because they couldn’t be sure either. I’m sure glad we got the initial call.

- It seemed like every one of our scoring plays was reviewed- and the Chew play was the only one in any kind of doubt. I don’t recall a Wake Forest play being reviewed.

- Who was the time-keeper? Somebody’s kid?

- If you left early - or didn’t come at all- you missed a great game!

- - Frozen brains. Jim Grobe let the clock run out on chances to score at the end of each half. I wonder if he regrets it now. Doug Marrone decided at the end to go for the chip-shot field goal. Three runs up the middle, despite having a new snapper and new holders and a edge rusher that was right there on every kick. Then we take a delay of game penalty to add five yards to it. NO matter. Bad snap, fumbled hold, low kick, block and it’s still 29-29. Where have you gone Rob Long? Orange Nation turns it’s lonely eyes to you.

Great post.

The section above is the one I'm a little surprised is not getting much coverage- I know winning heals all wounds but that end of game sequence was questionable at best. I trust Marrone as he has forgotten more football than I'll ever dream of knowing, but I'm surprised how conservative we were on the last few plays. We also seemed extremely rushed on the second run after the WF timeout- again, just unusual.

i thought taking the delay was more intentional than anything.

Yeah, it was funny listening to the ref's getting pissy over the clock operator.

As for the game, you don't make mention that Marrone was completely and utterly outcoached for 3 quarters of that game. Our offensive playcalling was predictably vanilla. And I've never seen that much confusion on defense. We need to do a much better job of signaling plays into the defense. Pitt will tear us apart with the hurry-up if we can't get our defensive a$$es in gear.

- I know Wake will be better this year than the 3-9 team they had last year but they made us look bad in that first half. I thought it was 2005 all over again.

- The big difference in the first was protection. Our veteran line against their supposedly pitiful defense was a total mismatch- for them. Ant Bailey had no where to run and Ryan Nassib could do nothing but run. He couldn’t throw deep because he only had a coupe of seconds to get the throws off. Meanwhile Tanner Price had all the time he needed to pick apart our secondary, even when we blitzed. We eventually got to Price, (if he doesn’t get hurt, we lose, period) and got Nassib some time by rolling him out. But is this what it’s going to be like all year? If Nassib has to roll out that means that he’s got half the field and half his receivers to work with.

- Nearly as disappointing was the team’s mental make up to start the game. Dropped passes. Missed tackles, stupid penalties. Why? They’ve been working hard for a month to play like that?

- Kevyn Scott had a huge interception for us but until then he was the property of Chris Givens, who had 7 receptions for an embarrassing 170 yards. Whiff.

- The firs two times we score and got the crowd into it, the defense let Wake come back and score immediately. The first time it was pathetic: an out of bounds kick-off followed by a 60 yarder to Givens. We had the lead for 9 seconds. The second time it was demoralizing, an 11 play 76 yard drive where the pass into the flat was there whenever they needed it.

- Frozen brains. Jim Grobe let the clock run out on chances to score at the end of each half. I wonder if he regrets it now. Doug Marrone decided at the end to go for the chip-shot field goal. Three runs up the middle, despite having a new snapper and new holders and a edge rusher that was right there on every kick. Then we take a delay of game penalty to add five yards to it. NO matter. Bad snap, fumbled hold, low kick, block and it’s still 29-29. Where have you gone Rob Long? Orange Nation turns it’s lonely eyes to you.

- I still don’t know if Chew really caught the winner. I couldn’t tell watching it live if he was in bounds and had control or not. Only the one referee signaled it- although he was right in front of it. I craned my neck to look in the rich folk’s booth and saw a couple of shots of it and couldn’t tell. When I got home ESPN showed the play but has some kind of a graphic over the catch. I have a feeling it was upheld just because they couldn’t be sure either. I’m sure glad we got the initial call.

- It seemed like every one of our scoring plays was reviewed- and the Chew play was the only one in any kind of doubt. I don’t recall a Wake Forest play being reviewed.

- If you left early - or didn’t come at all- you missed a great game!
One of my biggest What moments was after mounting a scoring drive to go up 7-6 and regain some momentum, Krautman kicks the ensuing KO out of bounds, giving Wake the ball on the 40. One play later we find ourselves down 13-7.

i thought taking the delay was more intentional than anything.
I didn't think there was any question it was intentional, to give Krautman a better angle.

One of my biggest What moments was after mounting a scoring drive to go up 7-6 and regain some momentum, Krautman kicks the ensuing KO out of bounds, giving Wake the ball on the 40. One play later we find ourselves down 13-7.
The Krautman out of bounds KO, really hurt.

Our team has alot of work to do. It's that simple. The D is going to give up big plays all year. Team Thomas let alot of WRs get behind them because they kept biting on the playaction. They also had to come up and protect on all of the throws in the flats.

I am really worried about what USC could do to that D. Let's hope alot changes over the next 2 weeks.

Offensive line looked horrid as well. Looked like Macky and Chibane were getting manhandled.

Keon Lyn takes long strides, needs to start taking quicker steps in short coverage. He got burnt alot, but we lucked out with bad throws/drops.

Crowd looked small in general. I would say actual attedance was 34-36k versus the announced almost 41k.

In the chat people were referring to Wake as a cupcake and pedestrian, lol. Good recap as usual SWC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom