The effects of this QB commit | Syracusefan.com

The effects of this QB commit

Alsacs

Living Legend
Are freaking huge for this program.
We have been yearning for positive momentum.

Dino, Anae, Beck have just injected MAJOR optimism into this program.
It can’t be said enough.

Great job. Now let’s get the ball rolling in momentum.

It’s just so huge.

As I posted on recruiting board, I don't Dino has landed a QB very early since he's been here (TD was the only one who wasn't towards the very end). Landing a QB early is very important in recruiting offensive skill talent. Besides his dual-threat ability on the field, love having an excellent student at the QB position.

Last edited:

It can’t be said enough.

It’s just so huge.
Wait …

We’re you not complaining all Fall that our AD had never done anything of substance since his arrival? And therefore he could not fix the football program. And that he was failing in his role as AD. But now I read this and (at least for the moment) things look good. We stayed in house with a dose of new via Anae and Beck.

And are you not currently pushing feverishly for our same AD to conduct a national search post JAB? Have you not conveyed on a few dozen occasions that there is no way for the program’s future to be simultaneously secure and thriving with an internal replacement?

My point? You deal almost exclusively in absolutes in a world with a helluva lotta grey. JW has football, the hoops and lax programs all either in or entering a growth stage. Better days are ahead, not the doomsday scenarios that you seem to come back to over and over again.

And just remember tonight’s enthusiasm come next December, if we finish with five wins due to a greatly challenging schedule.

(I am glad you are excited. I am too. Change is often methodical, but it’ll happen and we are fortunate to have JW at the helm calling most of these shots)

Wait …

We’re you not complaining all Fall that our AD had never done anything of substance since his arrival? And therefore he could not fix the football program. And that he was failing in his role as AD. But now I read this and (at least for the moment) things look good. We stayed in house with a dose of new via Anae and Beck.

And are you not currently pushing feverishly for our same AD to conduct a national search post JAB? Have you not conveyed on a few dozen occasions that there is no way for the program’s future to be simultaneously secure and thriving with an internal replacement?

My point? You deal almost exclusively in absolutes in a world with a helluva lotta grey. JW has football, the hoops and lax programs all either in or entering a growth stage. Better days are ahead, not the doomsday scenarios that you seem to come back to over and over again.

And just remember tonight’s enthusiasm come next December, if we finish with five wins due to a greatly challenging schedule.

(I am glad you are excited. I am too. Change is often methodical, but it’ll happen and we are fortunate to have JW at the helm calling most of these shots)
I said JW was getting a lot of hype from people who liked him.
If you want to defend JW then don’t forget he botched the men’s lacrosse player who competely divided the program last year and resulted in Desko retiring.

He also punted an entire women’s basketball season with how he handled the women’s program issues.
That culture was toxic and he let it get that way under Q.
The women who left the program wouldn’t speak highly of him.

Wildhack should have replaced Dino if based on results. I loved and still like Dino. This is a results business.
With that said he gets credit for opening the wallot and bringing in Anae and Beck.

They have brought major optimism.

Men’s basketball hire will determine Wildhack’s legacy.
He needs to nail that.

Giving credit is what I do. I don’t defend a position just to never be wrong.

The staff deserves credit for this tremendous start. Wildhack as well.

Doesn’t mean i think he is a rockstar AD. Men’s basketball needs to do what he did in football. I highly doubt he will do that.

I said JW was getting a lot of hype from people who liked him.
If you want to defend JW then don’t forget he botched the men’s lacrosse player who competely divided the program last year and resulted in Desko retiring.

He also punted an entire women’s basketball season with how he handled the women’s program issues.
That culture was toxic and he let it get that way under Q.
The women who left the program wouldn’t speak highly of him.

Wildhack should have replaced Dino if based on results. I loved and still like Dino. This is a results business.
With that said he gets credit for opening the wallot and bringing in Anae and Beck.

They have brought major optimism.

He needs to nail that.

Giving credit is what I do. I don’t defend a position just to never be wrong.

The staff deserves credit for this tremendous start. Wildhack as well.

Doesn’t mean i think he is a rockstar AD. Men’s basketball needs to do what he did in football. I highly doubt he will do that.
Fair response. Full disclosure, I have never met JW, so I am not his neighbor or fraternity brother.

I would argue that it is IMPOSSIBLE for any team/school/company/government entity to come out of a sexual abuse and/or domestic abuse case smelling like a bunch of roses. If there is, please name an example, I'll be interested to hear it and study it for my line of work. These are legitimately a no-win situations when things go public, like the two examples from last year at SU.

It is so terribly regrettable that they happened at Syracuse and people (many women in these instances) were affected. Brutal like I could never completely know.

And I disagree on the "punt" of the WBB season comment. Sometimes, time and space can help everyone involved, serve as a heeler. And I think there is an unspoken reason for the "delay" and you'll see it come with this hire.

I've posted this before, but in my estimation, college ADs are a ridiculously inept bunch. Think about it. 340+ Division I schools and they all have a lead AD. I bet there are no more than 10-12 that could survive more than one year running a professional sports franchise. We happen to have one of those 10-12 and we should feel quite fortunate he's here among us and helping to shape the futures of our football, hoops (M&W) and lax programs (M&W), as well as the other Olympic sports too.

It's not a business decision?
Typo, they meant to write its now a business decision. Although as noted above it always has been. parents can openly sell the services of their children apparently. Crazy

It can’t be said enough.

It’s just so huge.
I'm waiting for your sign up to my Clemson and Wake Forest tailgates! I'm serving free Orange Kool-aid

Proofreading optional. Also nice of Dad to basically sell his son off. Would think parents would want their kids to be happy where they end up and not just have it be all about money.
Cool, will this son make a Dr. Pepper ad for opening weekend too...and never to be seen again?

Would be interesting to see if we had enough $ to trump all those elite schools if it would still be a $ decision. I think it's prob more $$$ + track record in NFL + all the other normal recruiting things (fanbase, gameday, etc)

As has been said a bunch - this is how recruiting always worked, just a whole lot more in the light now.

Would be interesting to see if we had enough $ to trump all those elite schools if it would still be a $ decision. I think it's prob more $$$ + track record in NFL + all the other normal recruiting things (fanbase, gameday, etc)

As has been said a bunch - this is how recruiting always worked, just a whole lot more in the light now.
yes and no. were some players being paid? yes, but you can't say this is how it always worked. NIL is out of control now

Last edited:
He needs to nail that.

If he hires Red Autry, the rising football team will hopefully give him cover until he gets to fix his hoops hire.

I saw this and thought I would share. Total money game now. Although it likely has always been.

Power to him. I’d venture to guess his family needs the money & frankly if it helps get rid of the rampant hypocrisy in college “amateur” sports, then I’m all for it.
Regardless, it’s high time SU got the message that the game has changed and starts to adjust to the new reality. Instead of bemoaning and catching vapors at “gasp…how the game has changed”, how about we shift gears and enter the fray?
We run a high risk of falling way behind and if we’re serious about having a viable program, we need to get our isht in gear and join the club already. JMHO

Power to him. I’d venture to guess his family needs the money & frankly if it helps get rid of the rampant hypocrisy in college “amateur” sports, then I’m all for it.
Regardless, it’s high time SU got the message that the game has changed and starts to adjust to the new reality. Instead of bemoaning and catching vapors at “gasp…how the game has changed”, how about we shift gears and enter the fray?
We run a high risk of falling way behind and if we’re serious about having a viable program, we need to get our isht in gear and join the club already. JMHO
It starts with your checkbook, which I hope is wide open for SU. The rest of us will follow! :)

I saw this and thought I would share. Total money game now. Although it likely has always been.

I mean...if NIL wasn't a thing, who do you think his finalists would be? Probably very similar. The good news, is the high 3 star guys we realistically need to get commitments from, aren't high NIL guys anyways. So I honestly don't think it will change that much. Sellers is a home run for us, but the donors at Ohio State aren't going to bid him away from us.

I mean...if NIL wasn't a thing, who do you think his finalists would be? Probably very similar. The good news, is the high 3 star guys we realistically need to get commitments from, aren't high NIL guys anyways. So I honestly don't think it will change that much. Sellers is a home run for us, but the donors at Ohio State aren't going to bid him away from us.
Yup, all solid NIL support could do for us is raise our profile from 50-60 to maybe 20-30. Unless there is a specific connection to SU we aren't getting 5 star players here. We'll never outbid the Top 15 programs.

Yup, all solid NIL support could do for us is raise our profile from 50-60 to maybe 20-30. Unless there is a specific connection to SU we aren't getting 5 star players here. We'll never outbid the Top 15 programs.
I'll add we are probably unlikely to even get many 4 star guys here. We'll could get 2 or 3 here and there and they would likely be lower 4 star guys. What we need to be able to do is get a lot of high quality 3 star guys here and we can be pretty successful with that type of player.

I really don't understand this. NIL does not mean pay players for play. It means that a company can pay a player to use said player's name, image or likeness.

It seems to me that a football program could declare how much money a player will receive only when local companies and corporations communicate dollar values for athletes directly to the school

Like most things, it gets turned into a recruiting advantage by those schools who can get big donors to make attractive "packages" for star players. Though the schools aren't actually paying them, their programs are right there in bed with the big spenders and the young, attractive stars. Not a wholesome picture at all.

Proofreading optional. Also nice of Dad to basically sell his son off. Would think parents would want their kids to be happy where they end up and not just have it be all about money.
Isn’t that how everyone chooses their first job

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom