The Energy is back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Energy is back

Off the top of my head I can’t recall the last player we’ve had that stayed for all four years of their eligibility. I know Edwards and JGIII stayed for four years but then ultimately used their last year at another school, so there’s a bit of an asterisk with those two.

I’m guessing (hopeful?) Bell stays and plays all four years.

Regardless, our players are using the portal as evidenced by this past cycle. We need to be prepared that they will jump ship for better NIL opportunities
Edwards and Girard definitely count.

But again, we had a coaching change. That's a factor. And looking at the guys that portaled... we didn't actually want those guys to be 4 year players.

I think the pitch should be solid role as a freshman, bigger role/starring role as a sophomore and junior and we'll launch you into the NBA.

NBA is still the goal for these guys. College NIL isn't their dream. It's just really good that they can get that now.

Edwards and Girard definitely count.

But again, we had a coaching change. That's a factor. And looking at the guys that portaled... we didn't actually want those guys to be 4 year players.

I think the pitch should be solid role as a freshman, bigger role/starring role as a sophomore and junior and we'll launch you into the NBA.

NBA is still the goal for these guys. College NIL isn't their dream. It's just really good that they can get that now.

Also, the pitch should include that the NBA doesn’t need you to set the record for points at your school. If you can do NBA skills, you’re good.

You can be a role player in college but still make the NBA if they see the right things.

This isn’t quite that, but Castle wasn’t asked to be Luka Doncic for UConn. But he’s going to be a high lottery pick because he did the right things and has transferable nba skills.

Reactions: sam
If/when it ultimately comes to fruition, athletes becoming
employees of the school might become a factor in how
committed they become contractually. It won't be the NBA
with long term contracts, but I would think there has to be
an underlying agreement, especially if unionization becomes a
factor. Really interesting times ahead.

I don't think he will be able to, and that's not a knock on Red. I wouldn't turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars either to be "loyal" to some school or coach. John Wooden himself couldn't.

In order to keep our good recruits, we need to be able to pay them a big bag ourselves. Hopefully, we get organized on that front.
It will depend on schools paying players directly.

I don't think he will be able to, and that's not a knock on Red. I wouldn't turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars either to be "loyal" to some school or coach. John Wooden himself couldn't.

In order to keep our good recruits, we need to be able to pay them a big bag ourselves. Hopefully, we get organized on that front.
I think the obstacles should be out of the way and the school can work things out directly starting next year. This was probably the last year of “NIL” and now it’s pros for 18-23 year olds.

It’s easier in all industries to keep employees than hire new ones you have an edge when they already work for you. But it’s also the start of the 4 schools in 4 years era. Does this affect Donnie and Sadiq the same way it does a guy like Leffew who was a part timer NEC guy year 1 struggled in the MAAC but year 5 was ready for a big conference? Kinda but not really.

We can also work out some deferred payment plan or something to those guys where they get more long term on tenure so you’re either in the NBA or the 4 years at Cuse beatsjob hopping even if there’s a big Jesse Edwards type of bag. But that being said you might run into the Benny and Q situations where 2 and 3 years in one place was too long.

Unlike football it’s only 7-9 guys you realistically have to play with a couple emergency practice players or backups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom