The Era of Mediocrity Is Upon Us.... | Syracusefan.com

The Era of Mediocrity Is Upon Us....

newmexicuse

All Conference
Well, the football team has been average to poor for quite some time, but for decades on end we were able to take solace in the superior results from the LAX and BB programs.

We have now seen the hoops squad decline into a bubblegum squad for four straight years.

The lax program was no longer on a national pedestal the last few seasons, but at least we remained a power. After the beat down by Albany State, I had hoped that game was an aberration, but now after getting manhandled by hopkins, it is pretty clear that even our glorious LAX program has descended to mediocrity.

So it may well be a very long time until we see glory from all three programs in the same season, but the question becomes when will we start to see revivals in each of those programs.

In football, the climb will be long and slow. We simply can't recruit at a high enough level to compete with the in conference football powers. QB is the most important position and superior QB play can make up for a lot. Dungey has been good, but his annual injuries have prevented him from getting the program to where it might hope to be. Now he will have to beat out Devito, and if D lives up to his hype, that might well be a tough competition. Just maybe, we can get enough wins to at least get to a minor bowl this season.

The lax team is at a big disadvantage because of the way lax scholies work. Supposedly reinforcements will be coming next season. The biggest issue is that we haven't had the head and shoulders above other players superstar for quite some time. I have yet to see a lax game this season, but from what i read, it appears we are ok to good in the goal, but we desperately need a FO guy to replace Williams. Can't win if you don't have the ball. If next year's class lives up to hype, maybe we get back into the top ten and from there anything can happen.

Lastly, everybody here is bullish on next year's hoops team. Plenty of talent coming in. No reason we should still be a bubblegum team.

So anyways, here's to hoping that this Era of Medicority will only be a one season anomaly and that at least a couple of our programs can ascend to the expectations of us fans.

Football will be hard pressed to compete year in and year out with Clemson and FSU but we can be good enough to compete with the rest of the division, things are looking up there. Hoops team will be putting the sanctions and the lame duck JB/Hopkins stuff behind us, things are looking up there too. Lax, I have no clue

How does the hoops team get past lame duck coaching status? We're right back to where we were in a few years when Buddy is a junior/senior.

Right we're not coming out of the sanctions with a top 20 class or anything. The increased losses over these last four years were not anything to do with the sanctions ... just a coincidence. Yep had to be.

We're all gonna die omg! There's an asteroid out there coming for us somewhere! I've never been a fan of the half glass empty approach.

We're not recruiting 4-5 year guys, doesn't seem to matter much.
I don't think any one/two and dones would worry about our coaching this recruiting cycle or next but we'll start running into the "is JB going to be there for you?" questions again shortly after the next two seasons.

I don't think any one/two and dones would worry about our coaching this recruiting cycle or next but we'll start running into the "is JB going to be there for you?" questions again shortly after the next two seasons.
And why would it be any different at Duke, UNC or Miami? I didn’t realize we have the only old coach in the country.

Football is on the rise, and Hoops will be fine next year. For Lax it seems like they just need to make a coaching change. Getting the Dome Renovation right will go a long way to helping all three programs get back to top dog status.

And why would it be any different at Duke, UNC or Miami? I didn’t realize we have the only old coach in the country.
Probably isn't much different... but the second poster in this thread referenced putting coaching instability behind us.

I'm just saying that's not accurate.

During the ACC Title Game, Bilas talked about how incredibly well positioned UVA is in the ACC with Bennett because of the fact Duke, UNC and Syracuse will most likely have coaching change over in the next 5 years or so.

Probably isn't much different but the OP referenced putting coaching instability behind us. I'm just saying that's not accurate. Bilas talked about how incredibly well positioned UVA is in the ACC with Bennett because of the fact Duke, UNC and Syracuse will most likely have coaching change over in the next 5 years or so.
Fair enough. Fair enough.

We're not recruiting 4-5 year guys, doesn't seem to matter much.

Though, I don't think that's necessarily the intent initially. I don't think Lydon was recruited as a two year guy when we got him, or Oshea...or some others that left early.

Probably isn't much different... but the OP referenced putting coaching instability behind us.

I'm just saying that's not accurate.

During the ACC Title Game, Bilas talked about how incredibly well positioned UVA is in the ACC with Bennett because of the fact Duke, UNC and Syracuse will most likely have coaching change over in the next 5 years or so.

Agree on UVa. Kids are also going there to play a unique style of ball that will have them on campus for 4 years.

Though, I don't think that's necessarily the intent initially. I don't think Lydon was recruited as a two year guy when we got him, or Oshea...or some others that left early.

I dont think they are under any illusions with Brissett.

The guys that left I think they felt had / needed another year in them.

You kidding me?

i expect a top 20 finish and championship contention from basketball next year.

And

A top 40 finish and 7 wins from football.

I dont care for lacrosse but its only a matter of time I am sure

I'm just wondering... do you believe a retiring coach will have the same impact at Duke and UNC that it has at Cuse? My own take is that our program is MUCH more coach dependent than either of those two schools... less about the "storied basketball history," perhaps?

Hoops will be fine. Very much trending in the right direction. We had a super young team with no depth this year. They surpassed my expectations. At the beginning of the year I though they would struggle to have a winning season. We should be extremely proud of what these guys have done this season.

We’ll have double the depth next year, all while increasing our talent. Plenty to look forward to. Let’s hope this young kids make a run in the NIT and set the stage for a strong 2018-19 campaign.

I'm just wondering... do you believe a retiring coach will have the same impact at Duke and UNC that it has at Cuse? My own take is that our program is MUCH more coach dependent than either of those two schools... less about the "storied basketball history," perhaps?
UNC didn't exactly light the world on fire before they got Roy. I don't think anyone is immune. Kentucky had issues before Cal etc..

UNC hit the skids pretty quick post Dean. They're playing a very coach dependent style of ball these days.

Literally the only guy we’ve recruited since Donte-leave, that was recruited as a potential one-and-done type guy, was CMac.

NOBODY expected that:
Jonny jumps after 2 years
Dion & Fab after 2 years.
(OK, Fab had HS hype, but his Frosh year totally deflated that)
MCW after 2
Jerami after 2
Ennis after 1
CMac - yup. No surprise, other than that he still went after getting injured.
Mali after 1
Lydon after 2

Pretty much all of these guys, sans CMac and maybe Fab, were expected to be 4 year program guys.

JB is great at finding diamonds in the rough, and then putting them in a position to succeed.
This turns out to be both a blessing, and a curse.

That’s the point of my post, we arent mediocre.
So far, in the ACC, I guess you're right that we aren't mediocre because our two revenue sports have been below that metric.

The Final 4 covers up a lot of blemishes but aside from that we've had a bad football program and missed the tourney more than we've made it.

I do think both sports are trending up again but our ACC history in football/basketball is not something I'm exactly trying to pass as "mediocre", it's been pretty tough to watch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom