The Era of Mediocrity Is Upon Us.... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Era of Mediocrity Is Upon Us....

I'm just wondering... do you believe a retiring coach will have the same impact at Duke and UNC that it has at Cuse? My own take is that our program is MUCH more coach dependent than either of those two schools... less about the "storied basketball history," perhaps?

What did Duke win before Coach K got there?

What has Indiana done since Bobby Knight was forced out?

What’s UCLA done the past 10 years?

Coaching is huge for sure. Look what Steven's did for Butler, literally put it on the map. Bennett at UVA, Cooley at Providence. And, the beat goes on...

I'm just wondering... do you believe a retiring coach will have the same impact at Duke and UNC that it has at Cuse? My own take is that our program is MUCH more coach dependent than either of those two schools... less about the "storied basketball history," perhaps?
matt-doherty-unc.jpg

Coaching is huge for sure. Look what Steven's did for Butler, literally put it on the map. Bennett at UVA, Cooley at Providence. And, the beat goes on...
Cooley’s a good coach, but he hasn’t exactly made Providence a national power

Cooley’s a good coach, but he hasn’t exactly made Providence a national power

When was Providence ever a national power? Everyone has their "seat on the bus" and Cooley has Providence sitting right where they belong. :)

So far, in the ACC, I guess you're right that we aren't mediocre because our two revenue sports have been below that metric.

The Final 4 covers up a lot of blemishes but aside from that we've had a bad football program and missed the tourney more than we've made it.

I do think both sports are trending up again but our ACC history in football/basketball is not something I'm exactly trying to pass as "mediocre", it's been pretty tough to watch.

You seem to be forgetting that hoops went 14-4 our first year in the ACC.
And then, sanctions hit.

Football I give a pass, since we pretty much gave ourselves the Death Penalty by hiring GERG, and the trajectory is most definitely upward, as VaTech and Clemson can attest to.
Dino is the man.

Our "pretty tough to watch" hoops team still hasn't had a losing season for nearly FIVE DECADES.

Ask BC, Pitt, UConn, GTown, etc how hard that would be to watch, compared to what they've been going thru recently.
Our worst teams still have a shot at the NCAA's, and have had many memorable moments along the way, along with the frustrating ones.

As for a Final Four run masking an otherwise "meh" season, ask UConn about that.
We'd all trade those fantastic regular season results, for their NC's in a heartbeat.

All will be right again with hoops starting next year - we'll be ranked in the Top 25 all season, and worried about what protected seed we'll be getting in Dance next year, not whether we make it or not.

You seem to be forgetting that hoops went 14-4 our first year in the ACC.
And then, sanctions hit.

Football I give a pass, since we pretty much gave ourselves the Death Penalty by hiring GERG, and the trajectory is most definitely upward, as VaTech and Clemson can attest to.
Dino is the man.

Our "pretty tough to watch" hoops team still hasn't had a losing season for nearly FIVE DECADES.

Ask BC, Pitt, UConn, GTown, etc how hard that would be to watch, compared to what they've been going thru recently.
Our worst teams still have a shot at the NCAA's, and have had many memorable moments along the way, along with the frustrating ones.

As for a Final Four run masking an otherwise "meh" season, ask UConn about that.
We'd all trade those fantastic regular season results, for their NC's in a heartbeat.

All will be right again with hoops starting next year - we'll be ranked in the Top 25 all season, and worried about what protected seed we'll be getting in Dance next year, not whether we make it or not.
We're talking about sport(s). BC/Pitt have had respectable football programs since joining the ACC. We beat Clemson, I guess there's that.

We're Syracuse Basketball and we put 30k in stands and take over arenas in Atlanta and South Florida. I'm expecting a lot more than comparing the past few years to BC/Pitt Basketball.

I'll fully agree that we're on the uptick again in both sports but some of you are overestimating what we've done in football/basketball since joining this league. It's basically the Final 4 that evens us out to at least being mediocre.

When was Providence ever a national power? Everyone has their "seat on the bus" and Cooley has Providence sitting right where they belong. :)
You’re probably too young to remember but they made the Final Four in 1987 when they were coached by Rick Pitino.

I like Cooley as a coach, but I don’t think he’s taken Providence past the second round of the NCAAs. I’m actually not sure he’s won an NCAA game.

Edit: he’s won 1 NCAAt game. He’s not made it past the 2nd round

Last edited:
You’re probably too young to remember but they made the Final Four in 1987 when they were coached by Rick Pitino.

I like Cooley as a coach, but I don’t think he’s taken Providence last the second round of the NCAAs. I’m actually not sure he’s won an NCAA game.

He's definitely to young to remember Ernie D and Marvin Barnes.

Agree on UVa. Kids are also going there to play a unique style of ball that will have them on campus for 4 years.

Bennett stays away from one and done MCD AA's.

Football is on the rise, and Hoops will be fine next year. For Lax it seems like they just need to make a coaching change. Getting the Dome Renovation right will go a long way to helping all three programs get back to top dog status.
A high level Dome renovation is key, as you said. If that happens, we’ll be fine. I still believe that Hop will return to Syracuse, but we shouldn’t have any problems attracting a great coach to take over for JB. Just gotta make the right hire!

Is that the case? Or do they stay away from him?

Can't see him telling Zion or Bagley no thank you.
Brogdan gives him credibility in developing guys for the NBA but I think it's a bit of both. He probably wouldn't say no if they came knocking but I doubt any of them want to showcase themselves on a team built on defense and a methodical offense.

He seems to recruit like us. The next tier of guys below the Top 10-15 but in his system, they aren't NBA ready after a year or two.

Bennett stays away from one and done MCD AA's.
He’s involved win the top 25-100 players like we are. But yea, he’s not wasting his time going after one-and-dones. I believe Kyle Guy was a McD’s All American.

His kids are very fundamentally sound and starting to get more notice by pro people. Justin Anderson is a solid player and Mike Tobey made a NBA roster. I imagine Wilkins and Hall will be too.

ACC has owned us. No excuses
Not a smart post. The sanctions owned us. We had only two coaches on the road recruiting when every team we were recruiting against had 4. You don't think that was a major disadvantage? Kind of tough to build relationships. We also couldn't give out the same number of ships as the teams we are competing against. You don't think that was a major disadvantage?

Duke didn't win but they were going to final fours. They went in '78 and played for the national title. And Indiana wasn't doing anything in the last half dozen years Knight was there. That was why they were able to run him out when his behavior when he was winning should have got him thrown out but his winning at that time saved him.

Not a smart post. The sanctions owned us. We had only two coaches on the road recruiting when every team we were recruiting against had 4. You don't think that was a major disadvantage? Kind of tough to build relationships. We also couldn't give out the same number of ships as the teams we are competing against. You don't think that was a major disadvantage?

Obviously a disadvantage. I just don't think it was the albatross that the "SANCTIONS!" crowd makes it out to be. For some reason this irritates people.

Obviously a disadvantage. I just don't think it was the albatross that the "SANCTIONS!" crowd makes it out to be. For some reason this irritates people.
Well, it was. Now, could we be in the kind of rough shape we are in without the sanctions. Yes, sure. But it wouldn't take much for us to be in a bit better shape. And the sanctions were the key to the lock that put us where we are. Just like they were intended to do.

Well, it was. Now, could we be in the kind of rough shape we are in without the sanctions. Yes, sure. But it wouldn't take much for us to be in a bit better shape. And the sanctions were the key to the lock that put us where we are. Just like they were intended to do.

Def don't want to argue. But that's opinion not fact.

REASONS.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom