The Facts of Life In The Arms Race | Syracusefan.com

The Facts of Life In The Arms Race

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Only 22 of the 125 programs were cash flow even or profitable.

Michigan's sports budget for their 29 sports is $133 million of which football accounts for upwards of $90 million

Check out their indoor practice facility.

Pretty sobering when we think about where SU fits in with this landscape.

Click for video

It's a microcosm of our society and the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. Let's also add the elitist tag as well while forcing out competition. That's why expansion makes sense for the SEC and Big 10...they are not diluting their product they are getting rid of competition.

All the more reason that we need to jump at the chance if the B1G offers.

It doesn't matter how good the ACC fits. Without stability, the fit doesn't matter.

That indoor facility was amazing.

The great thing is, Michigan only has 85 schollies, just like everyone else. What have the B1G checks done for Illinois, Indiana, Purdue etc on the field? Nothing. Just becuase you make/have money doesnt guarantee a winner. Does it help? Yeah, but its not the end all be all.

Luckily it still comes down to coaching and players...Cuse always has to work a little harder...we'll be ok in the short, medium and long term. We still have brand, tradition, academics and 34k fans for big BB games sez we are still relevant. Cable TV and media rights are in a bubble right now...technology evolves.

If I am being 100% honest...

I would rather SU Play in the ACC
Better Cultural fit
Similar sized institutions
Similar Academic standards
Schools along the east coast where our alumni reside
Pop shift towards south and coasts
Better BBall
Better Lax
We will compete in the ACC

I dont care if SU is cashing the biggest checks. As long as the AD can be sustained thats all that matters.

However, we need the rest of the ACC to agree with that same philosophy, stick with the ACC and stabilize.

We're not getting a B1G invite. We sink or swim with the ACC

And we'll be swimming triathlons. Someone here made a great point yesterday about all that SU has accomplished so far...ON A BIG EAST $$$$-sized BUDGET!!! With our football team going through the worst stretch of its entire history! Imagine what they could do with the ACC paycheck?

We are in the ACC. The ACC will be stabile. We will be taking home millions more than we had been. I don't buy this BS about the demise of the ACC. Maryland had to take the money, period. And the ACC really doesn't give a crap. They do and they don't. Losing MD in the state of disarray they are in means very little. Even with the BIG money, they will not be players in anything 10 years from now. They will lose fans in the short term in both BBall and Lax. You can bank on that. Football will get some new names in the stadium, but they will never sniff a BiG title. So as far as being an "enemy program in ACC country" they aren't much of a threat. The ACC could add Hopkins as a Lax only member and destroy MD's Lax base.

The real crux now is how much MD pays to get out. I agree with Coach K on this...the ACC needs to stand firm on the number and fight that fight.

Michigan's sports budget for their 29 sports is $133 million of which football accounts for upwards of $90 million

Click for video
If the spending at factories was efficient and rational, I'd be much more worried than I am.

In pro sports, winning is correlated with payroll but not even close to a perfect correlation. And the benefits to the players of cash payments are much more direct.

In college sports, the payment system is inefficient to begin with so the correlation might be even weaker.

Athletes are probably much better at comparing salaries than comparing wasteful spending on facilities. Maybe our's can be good enough for a fraction of the cost.

All the more reason that we need to jump at the chance if the B1G offers.

It doesn't matter how good the ACC fits. Without stability, the fit doesn't matter.
100% this. "Fit" is for social groups. This is football

Those facilities are sick and hopefully with a bigger paycheck and some winning we will improve ours as well, but we also forget that how we view their facilities in football is how people view ours in basketball. Don't think we don't flaunt our fan support, Dome, Melo Center etc in every recruits face. We have some of the best facilities in the nation in basketball...now football, thats another story.

It's a microcosm of our society and the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer. Let's also add the elitist tag as well while forcing out competition. That's why expansion makes sense for the SEC and Big 10...they are not diluting their product they are getting rid of competition.

A. Rutgers dilutes the product, and B. Neither Rutgers nor the Big East are competition for the Big 26.

Click for video

This is the 60 minutes segment that I posted about on Sunday.

A. Rutgers dilutes the product, and B. Neither Rutgers nor the Big East are competition for the Big 26.

It's a hit on the ACC and that's my point...they want it gone and yes Maryland and rutty are little players but it's the next move that will be the clue on what direction this is heading.

thank God for Daryl Gross. Love him or hate him I feel confident in him to keep us in the best possible shape given our challenges.

If the spending at factories was efficient and rational, I'd be much more worried than I am.

In pro sports, winning is correlated with payroll but not even close to a perfect correlation. And the benefits to the players of cash payments are much more direct.

In college sports, the payment system is inefficient to begin with so the correlation might be even weaker.

Athletes are probably much better at comparing salaries than comparing wasteful spending on facilities. Maybe our's can be good enough for a fraction of the cost.

I also think there's a point of rapidly diminishing returns with all this money being spent. I mean how many more 4-star recruits does a $100 million facility get you over a $50 million facility? Is that enough to be worth that investment? I'm skeptical, to say the least.

I think a school just needs to make enough to meet the baseline -- pay it's coaches market value to keep a strong staff intact, invest in facilities so that you can compete for recruits with your peer set, etc. After that it's all greed and ego.

I also think there's a point of rapidly diminishing returns with all this money being spent. I mean how many more 4-star recruits does a $100 million facility get you over a $50 million facility? Is that enough to be worth that investment? I'm skeptical, to say the least.

I think a school just needs to make enough to meet the baseline -- pay it's coaches market value to keep a strong staff intact, invest in facilities so that you can compete for recruits with your peer set, etc. After that it's all greed and ego.

This. Especially when you consider that every school only gets 85 schollies.

This. Especially when you consider that every school only gets 85 schollies.

That is the end game...if Slive/Delaney had their way they would break away and form their own system with 64 select schools...then they would start to whittle that down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom