The first few years in the ACC & the 2-3 zone | Syracusefan.com

The first few years in the ACC & the 2-3 zone

armory

All American
Anyone else excited to see how well we do in the first few years in the ACC with all of these top recruits ripening and being able to use the 2-3 zone against a lot of teams not used to playing against it?

I realize we're not joining a conference of community colleges coached by high school coaches... but we have always surprised non-conference teams that were favored to beat us because of how the zone confuses teams not used to it.

Also, the Big East was always famous for its physical play while the ACC likes to consider itself a 'finesse' league. They will certainly get a big east culture shock from Pitt that's for sure.

More than likely Pitt (and SU) will be the ones to get the culture shock. Play the finesse style or sit on the bench. ACC officials will dictate style of play. I think Miami, VPI and BC have already learned the rules.

More than likely Pitt (and SU) will be the ones to get the culture shock. Play the finesse style or sit on the bench. ACC officials will dictate style of play. I think Miami, VPI and BC have already learned the rules.
Syracuse is a finesse team.

Syracuse is a finesse team.

VPI? I think that the refs will dictate the style of play. The BE refs are used to the physical play and call it accordingly. It is likely that the ACC refs will call the games relative to the style of play they are used to in the ACC. Both SU and Pitt will have to adjust in that regard. As for what Otto has alluded to is that SU is much more a finesse team than, say, Pitt. But they are physical ... and have been more physical. That is not a bad thing ... that was the style of play. Lots of adjustments ... but that is what coaching is all about.

After decades of Higgins, Burr, Cahill, Stephens, etc... I won't complain about the ref changes.

yet

VPI? I think that the refs will dictate the style of play. The BE refs are used to the physical play and call it accordingly. It is likely that the ACC refs will call the games relative to the style of play they are used to in the ACC. Both SU and Pitt will have to adjust in that regard. As for what Otto has alluded to is that SU is much more a finesse team than, say, Pitt. But they are physical ... and have been more physical. That is not a bad thing ... that was the style of play. Lots of adjustments ... but that is what coaching is all about.

Sorry, I meant Virginia Tech... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Polytechnic_Institute_and_State_University

Anyone else excited to see how well we do in the first few years in the ACC with all of these top recruits ripening and being able to use the 2-3 zone against a lot of teams not used to playing against it?

I realize we're not joining a conference of community colleges coached by high school coaches... but we have always surprised non-conference teams that were favored to beat us because of how the zone confuses teams not used to it.

Also, the Big East was always famous for its physical play while the ACC likes to consider itself a 'finesse' league. They will certainly get a big east culture shock from Pitt that's for sure.
I'm actually hoping that we become the conference villain - storm in and own the league from the get-go on the hardwood, making everyone hate us.

And I think the zone is the very tool to do that with.

Of course, Coach K is so devious he put JB on his Olympic staff knowing full well this would happen and he needed a look at the inner workings of the Orange zone. Evil genius, that guy.

I feel like the whole BE is a mpre physical conference stuff is overblown. It may be technically true, but I bet it isn't that big of a deal. And it'll take what, a year or two to weed out the kids who played in the BE?

I don't think so...
The ACC will use this to change its type of basketball. They added one of the top two zone teams in the country(the one that taught the others coach) and maybe the most hardnose high and low post physical team for a reason.

We have been getting the best bigs in the Big East the last few years with pitt and have three of the most physical guards in the entire big east.
That other stuff is just some people anticipating us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom