The Frank Howard Roller Coaster Ride | Syracusefan.com

The Frank Howard Roller Coaster Ride

I mean wow. Easily his worst ball handling game in his or anyone else's life. But I gotta give him credit... HUGE shots when they needed it.

I went through a range of emotions tonight watching Frank, particularly in the second half.

I said before that he doesn't get stripped that often, but he sure did get his pocket picked a bunch tonight. Had some really lazy, predictable dribble moves tonight.

I think the best we can expect going forward is a near 1:1 a/to ratio. If he can keep the turnovers under 6, though, then it's not that bad because the team as a whole doesn't turn the ball over all that much.

Sequence (in quick succession):
- inbound ball, ignoring wide open Brissett under the basket, instead throwing it to a Buffalo player
- bring the ball up lazily and get ball stolen
- hit big (game deciding, really) contested 3-pointer

:bat:

I said before that he doesn't get stripped that often, but he sure did get his pocket picked a bunch tonight. Had some really lazy, predictable dribble moves tonight.

I think the best we can expect going forward is a near 1:1 a/to ratio. If he can keep the turnovers under 6, though, then it's not that bad because the team as a whole doesn't turn the ball over all that much.
His whole history is guys stealing the ball from him.

I mean wow. Easily his worst ball handling game in his or anyone else's life. But I gotta give him credit... HUGE shots when they needed it.

UConn game also.

He's frustrating as hell to watch. He flaunts his cross-over like a fat chick flaunts a belly shirt.

Will tell you one thing though, you don't hit that big three after those horrific turnovers if you aren't mentally tough. That's a good thing. He also says all the right things in post game interviews. There's a reason JB trusts him.

The first thing out of JBs mouth in the post game radio interview was about Franks 3 being the biggest shot of the game. JB is clearly in "build him up" mode with regard to Frank.

Last edited:
He's frustrating as hell to watch. He flaunts his cross-over like a fat chick flaunts a belly shirt.

Will tell you one thing though, you don't hit that big three after those horrific turnovers if you aren't mentally tough. That's a good thing. He also says all the right things in post game interviews. There's a reason JB trusts him.

The first thing out of JBs mouth in the post game radio interview was about Franks 3 bring the biggedy shot of the game. JB is clearly in "build him up" mode with regard to Frank.

Agreed. Kid could’ve mentally folded. Major props to him.

He just has some limitations like lack of speed at the PG position IMO as well as the shaky handle. Some posters seem to think his handle is fine but when you also, regardless of being stripped or not, hesitate and don’t attack a good defender and play downhill you stall out the offense and get it discombobulated. As usual, he picked up his dribble at least once in no man’s land. So many times we had chances in the 1H especially after turnovers and long rebounds to push it but he just doesn’t have the speed to push it down there. Our rebounders could be flying around for putbacks and lobs if he could push it down there. Gonna be a roller coaster and some Mylanta moments but I’m impressed with his mental toughness like you say.

The first thing out of JBs mouth in the post game radio interview was about Franks 3 being the biggest shot of the game. JB is clearly in "build him up" mode with regard to Frank.
"Build him up" is a definite bingo.

ACC guards will be in a "tear him down" mode.

I hope he can keep his plus/minus on the right side.

Agreed. Kid could’ve mentally folded. Major props to him.

He just has some limitations like lack of speed at the PG position IMO as well as the shaky handle. Some posters seem to think his handle is fine but when you also, regardless of being stripped or not, hesitate and don’t attack a good defender and play downhill you stall out the offense and get it discombobulated. As usual, he picked up his dribble at least once in no man’s land. So many times we had chances in the 1H especially after turnovers and long rebounds to push it but he just doesn’t have the speed to push it down there. Our rebounders could be flying around for putbacks and lobs if he could push it down there. Gonna be a roller coaster and some Mylanta moments but I’m impressed with his mental toughness like you say.
Great point about not playing downhill. It happens on run outs and often off the one-high screen. When he does attack, he has success. But it seems that the moons need to align for him to get his shoulder turned on his defender.

Sold on FH. Good leader and crunch time scorer.

His dribble is too high and loose but the more he can make guys pay for reaching in on him, the less they'll do it.

I think he has that alpha mentality and he's clearly full of confidence, which is really quite remarkable considering his first 2 years. We know what Tyus and O'Shae give us and how great they can be - if Frank can ever put it together and stay consistent - that trio will be as good as anyone in the ACC outside of Duke.

Going to go down as a historically polarizing player.

I actually don't think that's true. Because the word "polarizing" is being misused.

What Frank is is a maddeningly inconsistent player. Not just game to game, but within games.

And people criticize him when he's bad, and praise him when he's good.

But that's not the same thing as polarizing.

Someone weirdly made an arguably inappropriate comparison to Cooney, but it's illustrative in one way.

Cooney had a solid record of accomplishment that people viewed in different ways. That's polarizing.

Frank has nothing close to that yet. He's just a crazily inconsistent guard without much of a resume.

He may get to the point where he's polarizing. And I understand 917 said "going to go down," so perhaps right on that.

But that's not the right term yet.

Great point about not playing downhill. It happens on run outs and often off the one-high screen. When he does attack, he has success. But it seems that the moons need to align for him to get his shoulder turned on his defender.

Yeah, just after halfcourt too. Make a guy pay and get downhill. Don’t stall. Really think it is a footspeed issue as much as the handle. He could be driving these dudes into some nasty screens too making them pay for their aggresiveness but instead he plods up with the ball and dangles it in front. Very lucky he hasn’t been stripped more often.

His dribble is too high and loose but the more he can make guys pay for reaching in on him, the less they'll do it.

I think he has that alpha mentality and he's clearly full of confidence, which is really quite remarkable considering his first 2 years. We know what Tyus and O'Shae give us and how great they can be - if Frank can ever put it together and stay consistent - that trio will be as good as anyone in the ACC outside of Duke.

His height doesn't help. Sure there are plenty of taller guards but they obviously learn how to really get down with their dribble and use their body.

I wouldn't play quarters with Frankie. He'd either fall under the table or nail seven in a row. There is no middle ground.