The Future is Bright... | Syracusefan.com

The Future is Bright...

sdpenny32

Walk On
I think this season even more so than last is a testament to how good our coaching staff really is. These kids have learned how to win. It may not be the prettiest 3-1 but it is still 3-1. Some of the young guys are coming around and the Orange are already looking far better than they did in week 1. I am feeling good heading into conference play and I will go as far as to guarantee that SU absolutely wipes the Carrier Dome turf with Rutgers this week.

I think this season even more so than last is a testament to how good our coaching staff really is. These kids have learned how to win.

There is something to be said about "learning to win." When Marrone was first hired, he mentioned it often and it was one of his first priorities. Anyone who has every played athletics and has played on winning teams and losing teams, knows the outlook of a winning team often finds a way to win when the game is on the line. Anyone who has ever played on a losing team knows the feeling when it comes to when the game is on the line, you are always wondering what will happen to make your team not win the game. The emotional aspect of football makes this even more magnified.

I remember speaking to one of the 5th year seniors last year and his comment to me was, "We now believe in ourselves and we really listen to and respect Marrone, we believe in ourselves and we know we can win now." He also mentioned that the guys that were forced out were not committed to make it happen and that is why they left, his words were, "We know can win now that we've cleaned up the trash from this team."

I think this season even more so than last is a testament to how good our coaching staff really is. These kids have learned how to win. It may not be the prettiest 3-1 but it is still 3-1. Some of the young guys are coming around and the Orange are already looking far better than they did in week 1. I am feeling good heading into conference play and I will go as far as to guarantee that SU absolutely wipes the Carrier Dome turf with Rutgers this week.

damn right, if this were a GROB team we might be 0-4 and certainly no better than 1-3.

This team is still also at 100% rebuild mode. You can see that when you have 19 true frosh and sophomores on the 2 deep, and still woefully un-talented at certain positions.

damn right, if this were a GROB team we might be 0-4 and certainly no better than 1-3.

This team is still also at 100% rebuild mode. You can see that when you have 19 true frosh and sophomores on the 2 deep, and still woefully un-talented at certain positions.
I was saying that all weekend. No doubt at all we would be 0-4 if Groobers were still here.

All hail Marrone & Co!

I remember speaking to one of the 5th year seniors last year and his comment to me was, "We now believe in ourselves and we really listen to and respect Marrone, we believe in ourselves and we know we can win now." He also mentioned that the guys that were forced out were not committed to make it happen and that is why they left, his words were, "We know can win now that we've cleaned up the trash from this team."

I am glad a 5th year senior said that last year. That means he is no longer on the team thankfully, because that is just wrong to say. There were many kids that left and even some that were "forced out" (his words) that were good kids and far from "trash". Marrone has certainly taught these kids how to believe in themselves and how to win but I am sure he isn't teaching them to be aholes and bad teammates like this kid sounds. If in fact those are his exact words, he needs to learn to not speak in such generalities.

One of the keys of winning is experiance in winning. If you look at our roster we have an unbelievable percentage of kids that were captains of their HS teams and came from winning programs. In my opinion this is key

I was just about to post something similar under a thread topic like Marrone karma... The fact that marrone has a plan and unflappable clutches victories out of the grasp of defeat...

I appreciate what you're saying, and while I'm confident when we hit the 4th quarter and it's Nassib time I pretty much live in terror that we won't be so lucky next time.

Yeah, I know, you make your own luck, and that's great, but we walk such a tightrope and I just don't see that being a long term formula for success.

I appreciate what you're saying, and while I'm confident when we hit the 4th quarter and it's Nassib time I pretty much live in terror that we won't be so lucky next time.

Yeah, I know, you make your own luck, and that's great, but we walk such a tightrope and I just don't see that being a long term formula for success.

The only reason we are walking the tightrope is because of the present talent level of this team & youth of the defense. The long term formula of a winning "culture" is there, now we wait for the top level talent to come in...

It's ok to be worried about each next game this season, but to worry about our long term well being is too pessemistic...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom