the game is broken | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the game is broken

This is like the NHL with the neutral zone trap. You need to change the rules or risk alienating your fan base with the snooze fest wrestling matches on the floor.
Rules changes aren't going to make guys pass, dribble, and shoot better.

The solution to "Slow Ball"... a Gonzaga-UNC final.

Great. A repeat of the 2016 title game that the referees would not allow Gonzaga an equal chance

Very true. Take the top 1-2% out of any talent pool, and there is a noticeable drop-off.

Of course that means that 98-99% of the players still there. And the bets of those guys would have been pros a generation before that. there's no reason the game has to be bad just because a few guys jump early. it's more than just the talent level. We need more movement, more passing and more running. it should have less to do with weight rooms than basketball skills.

Either the foul on the 3 -which virtually everyone agrees was a foul (and EVERYONE that knows the rules agrees was a foul) needed to be called OR there’s no reason to ever complain about a team like, say, Duke getting calls that effectively decide the game in their favor.

Understand that deciding rules can be enforced arbitrarily means the WILL be enforced arbitrarily in ways you almost certainly won’t like. And that the games will effectively be as legitimate as a WWE match.

there's no question it was a foul under the rules the interpretation they have always been given. I'd like to see a rule change that contact after the ball is released is a foul only if it is flagrant.

Fellow old guy here.

The impact of the three point shot has been to focus the offense on the arc and the paint, thus reducing the area the defense has to defend. In the old days, players would look for any area they could get off an open, makeable shot and the defense would have to cover more territory, which made their job harder. Good offensive basketball is about movement and hitting the open man, not forcing the ball to certain spots.
teams would just let you have 17 foot jumpshots, go right ahead - i don't think it would be that much harder for defenses to deal with mid range teams

teams would just let you have 17 foot jumpshots, go right ahead - i don't think it would be that much harder for defenses to deal with mid range teams

they would have to deal with 8 foot jumpers, 10 foot jumpers, 12 foot jumpers, 15 foot jumpers, 17 foot jumpers, 20 foot jumpers, baseline lay-ups, drives down the lane, alley-oops and everything else. Look at the career of Lawrence Moten, our all-time scorer. he could hit from three but the best part of his game was movement, movement, movement and hitting any open shot he could get. Today he'd be told to stand at the three point line or drive to the basket and don't try anything in between.

Great action last night – if that Michigan vs Texas Tech thriller wasn’t enough anyone stay up to watch the VA vs Ducks action packed battle. 7 of the best teams in the country and an 8th with 2 NBA guys on it and we had

2 teams not reach 50
4 teams not reach 60
1 team that barely reached 60 and still won by nearly 20 points
And an overtime game where a team blew an 18 point lead and both teams combined to miss – not take, MISS – 31 Free Throws.

Throw in a crap non call on an elbow to the face in the Zags game followed by a BS double technical at the end of the half, and the foul on the last 3 of the Purdue game - which I know was right by rule but is BS - only to be made up when they whistled Purdue for not touching the UT player in OT.

4 coaches who took the night off. And at least 3 announcers who apparently had never watched a college game……… give me the knicks vs cavs all day every day.

I am rooting for Carolina – my most hated cheatingest program in the world – at least they will push the pace and force activity. Go Heels.
The first half of that Texas Tech-Michigan game was atrocious. But that kid Jarrett Culver is incredible. I wish we had a player like him! Of course he’ll be in the NBA next season.

they would have to deal with 8 foot jumpers, 10 foot jumpers, 12 foot jumpers, 15 foot jumpers, 17 foot jumpers, 20 foot jumpers, baseline lay-ups, drives down the lane, alley-oops and everything else. Look at the career of Lawrence Moten, our all-time scorer. he could hit from three but the best part of his game was movement, movement, movement and hitting any open shot he could get. Today he'd be told to stand at the three point line or drive to the basket and don't try anything in between.
you want the game to look a certain way but the math just doesn't agree with you

you want the game to look a certain way but the math just doesn't agree with you

Totally agree. The three point shot opened up the game. Most offense was really geared to getting as close to the basket for a shot as possible, which is why Center used to be of outsized importance. The three point shot created a spot for smaller players to take shots which led to scoring efficiency similar to trying to score only in the paint.

There’s a lot of reasons why ball movement isn’t nearly as good as it was 30-40 years ago - the three pointer isn’t one of them.

there's no question it was a foul under the rules the interpretation they have always been given. I'd like to see a rule change that contact after the ball is released is a foul only if it is flagrant.
What about away from the ball fouls? Getting hit is getting hit. And anyone that has ever played knows that if there is contact immediately after you release the ball, it is likely the shot was affected. To shoot a jump shot correctly, there has to be a follow through motion.

I think players underutilize the space between the lane and three point line (you tend to see it used more on the better teams), but what you say about the numbers is correct.

Funny how the college game seems more "broken" when SU is not in or quickly eliminated from the tourney.

Nothing beats the one and done aspect of the tourney for sheer drama and excitement.

Go back over the last five years in terms of the NBA playoffs and see how many series ended well short of the max. Most seven games series have ended in 4 or 5 games.

Ya also gotta love the tanking aspect of the NBA. Several NBA squads threw in the towel weeks ago. Read a story last week about a guy who paid big $$$ in advance for prime time seats when LAL played Milwaukee. Neither LBJ nor the Freak suited up.

No shortage of divas either. This guy won't play with that guy blah, blah, blah.

It's also quite a contrast to watch crowds at an NCAA game and a pro game. One is electric while the other has folks auditioning for the lead role in the sequel to Weekend at Bernie's. No wonder they pump music in during live action. Need to keep the patrons awake.

Greatest players in the world but for six months it's a snoozefest. Playoffs are exciting for those times when u have a competitive series. I'll take college over pro all day long.

is a poorly played high scoring game less broken than a low scoring one.

you have low scores because of good D or bad offense, and you can have high scores because of good Offense and bad D.

There was contact? I don’t see it. At most the shooters toe hits the defender after kicking out which isn’t a foul by rule. Even the kid said it after the game no other contact.

The biggest issue with the college game is the lack of familiarity that fans have with the players. With players leaving early, you need to learn even your own team all over again every single year.

I watch A LOT more NBA games than I did 10 years ago because I know all the players. I can turn a game on and know who is on the court. I can't do that with college basketball in its current state.

It’s funny to read these takes about how the skill level of the college game is so low now that it’s just not worth watching. While at the same time there was a recent massive thread about how the zone defense can no longer be played because the skill level of shooters in college is just way too high for it to be a viable defense anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom