The Gang That Can't Shoot Straight | Syracusefan.com

The Gang That Can't Shoot Straight

alibrat66

2nd String
Ugly spectacle last night.

I believe that we are, fundamentally, a very good team. We play solid defense and have the athletes. JB is the same coach who has won over 900 games. It is our shots that aren't falling, not the sky.

Temple exposed our weaknesses, and other teams (especially in the past few weeks) have fed on us like starving wolves.

It is up to JB (although he hasn't struck me as the key motivator of his players over the years) and his staff (who has) to turn around these guys' mindset before the BET and certainly before the NCAAs. Triche adjusting his shooting mechanics at this stage of the game, IMHO, is a mistake. Just shoot the damn ball and quit thinking about it. I believe that's part of his problem. He's thinking about the game more than he is playing it. BT has to be less mental and have more fun on the court and quit taking himself so damn seriously; we have plenty of people on this board who will do that for him:).

All we have (fans and our players) is the now. I honestly don't care if MCW stays or goes; whether Ennis has a good handle; Gbinje this or that; or any of that business that has no bearing on the here and now. We can still do some damage in the BET and NCAA if our guys re-establish their confidence (much of which comes from the coaches), as well as playing loose. JB is smart enough to make the adjustments in the offensive sets and defensive strategies required for each opponent. Have some fun and let the cards fall where they may. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. Sort of like life, play each game like it's your last and live each day like there is no tomorrow. One day we'll be right, in one area or the other, or both.

Very clever title. I salute you! I liked your post as well. For whatever reason, I don't think JB is up for the inspiration part. But one of those coaches has to give the Knute Rockne talk, or the Rocky talk, or whatever. At least one of those players has to buy it, and then the other players have to catch it. My aunt was once expelled from school for starting a yawning epidemic! At this point in time, it's all psychological. We need Dale Carnegie, or Depak Chopra, or the Mormons! Yes, I said Mormons. I am going to see "Book of Mormon" today, and the only song I know from the show is, "I believe." The character who sings this song understands his dogma is viewed as unlikely, but he fervently sings, "I am a Mormon, and Mormons just believe!" It takes 5 minutes to watch, and it is well worth watching, especially the last two minutes. Yes, someone in our locker room must BELIEVE like this!

What?????

This isn't about a lack of motivation. There's enough pressure on these kids a it is. The last thing they need is some lunatic shouting at them.

You don't think playing in front of 35,000 fans is motivating. You don't think that playing GU on national TV hasn't gotten their attention.

Go out in the driveway with a basketball and shoot some baskets. Start telling your self as you shoot that making each shot is more and more important. How did that affect your accuracy?

no one looks like they are having any fun -no smiles joking laughing-thats all the fans for the other team-

they have put themselves in a position of no pressure- a once legit team 3 months ago is no more-

so if they couldnt handle the pressure-its now all gone,they have no more excuses

substitute confidence for motivation, and I'm not sure how anyone could disagree with the posts in this thread

I think that what we see, as fans, are players who know their next shot is not going in, not the other way around.

We have shooters - they've done it in the past, whether it's AAU and High School, previous seasons at 'Cuse, or even earlier in this season. Not to go all "hoosiers" but an open shot at a 10 foot rim is the same no matter where you are. The only difference is the pressure and belief in themselves.

Each player is an individual, and each probably needs something different from the next guy as far as motivation. One player may respond to a "benching" with improved effort and vision, while another will lose confidence and the next time they are in they're afraid that one mistake means they're done. I realize that the coaching staff knows their personalities better than I do, but as an outsider, it looks like some of these guys need a little more encouragement. (Not saying it isn't happening, just that they look lost out there)

Final thought - I think that this was the value of Scoop to last year's team. He understood, perhaps better than anyone, what Coach wanted from each player. I have no doubt that he was a positive voice in the ear of many players who felt down, confused about their lack of playing time, or wondered how to get out of the doghouse.

Didn't Hop have to go retrieve Scoop from the locker room after a JB tongue-lashing/benching

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom