"The General" Four Great Years... | Syracusefan.com

"The General" Four Great Years...

BillSU

All American
Just a refreshing reminder to everyone in this somewhat boring part of the basketball year about what I thought was some of the best basketball I have ever seen us play from 1985 – 89. Hope the link works because maybe some of you have never seen “The General,” play, especially his trademark alley – oop pass to Stevie Thompson or Derrick Coleman which they would catch and dunk. An amazing four years.

The Point Guard who learned some things from “THE PEARL” Douglas was special.

The fast break was fast then and we were highly ranked starting in 85:

85 – 86 – 26 – 6 NCAA 2nd Round

86 – 87 - 31- 7 NCAA FINAL FOUR, NATIONAL CHAMPION RUNNER UP, BE CH

87 – 88 - 26 – 9 NCAA 2nd Round

88 – 89 - 30 - 8 NCAA 2nd Round, BE CHAMPION

(498) Syracuse University Basketball - Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson Highlights - YouTube

Douglas showed himself to be able to run the fast break as well as any player in the country. His trademark was the alley-oop pass, lobbing the ball up near the hoop as sky-walker Stevie Thompson or big men Derrick Coleman and Rony Seikaly would slam it home. Douglas would often focus on passing the ball early in the games, and then would revert to becoming a scorer during the crunch moments of the game. He was gifted at helping his teammates get the easy basket, and very good at minimizing turnovers. Full court presses against Syracuse were foolish because Douglas always seemed to break them.

Sherman Douglas (orangehoops.org)

That series of numbers in yellow… I just finished re-watching all of Breaking Bad, and all I could see were coordinates to where Walt buried the money/that lottery ticket.

#20 is my all-time favorite Syracuse Basketball player.

Man, was he exciting -- and he made his teammates better. We were beyond up-tempo back then.
#32 is my all-time favorite Syracuse Basketball player.

Jumping jack for his size and you knew he was going to dunk it whenever he got a chance. Impossible for most teams to match up defensively.

#32 is my all-time favorite Syracuse Basketball player.

Jumping jack for his size and you knew he was going to dunk it whenever he got a chance. Impossible for most teams to match up defensively.
I’ve never posted here, read it everyday, but been around since the Louie and Bouie show. Has anyone ever seen this. 11 minutes of the greatest outlet, fastbreak airshow ever. I’ve had it booked marked forever.

The coast to coast coleman between the legs dump off to Stevie is even better than the Sherm hike.

Just a refreshing reminder to everyone in this somewhat boring part of the basketball year about what I thought was some of the best basketball I have ever seen us play from 1985 – 89. Hope the link works because maybe some of you have never seen “The General,” play, especially his trademark alley – oop pass to Stevie Thompson or Derrick Coleman which they would catch and dunk. An amazing four years.

The Point Guard who learned some things from “THE PEARL” Douglas was special.

The fast break was fast then and we were highly ranked starting in 85:

85 – 86 – 26 – 6 NCAA 2nd Round

86 – 87 - 31- 7 NCAA FINAL FOUR, NATIONAL CHAMPION RUNNER UP, BE CH

87 – 88 - 26 – 9 NCAA 2nd Round

88 – 89 - 30 - 8 NCAA 2nd Round, BE CHAMPION

(498) Syracuse University Basketball - Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson Highlights - YouTube

Douglas showed himself to be able to run the fast break as well as any player in the country. His trademark was the alley-oop pass, lobbing the ball up near the hoop as sky-walker Stevie Thompson or big men Derrick Coleman and Rony Seikaly would slam it home. Douglas would often focus on passing the ball early in the games, and then would revert to becoming a scorer during the crunch moments of the game. He was gifted at helping his teammates get the easy basket, and very good at minimizing turnovers. Full court presses against Syracuse were foolish because Douglas always seemed to break them.

Sherman Douglas (orangehoops.org)
Sherm has always been my favorite SU player since I was a kid growing up in the city. One correction: we made it to the Elite Eight in 1988-89, Sherman’s senior year (not just the 2nd Round).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom