The Grand Bargain | Syracusefan.com

The Grand Bargain

CuseCPT

All Conference
Let's say it is the year 1976 and you are offered a choice. James Arthur Boeheim offers you 45 seasons of absolute dedication, with a .706 winning record, 1 National Championship, 5 Final Fours, a volume of NCAA Tournament Success, 10 Big East Titles, 5 Big East Tournaments Titles, and over 1000 wins, all in Syracuse, New York. On top of that, plenty of charitable work for the university and the community, as well.

In exchange, he asks for the freedom to build a team to feature his sons and their friends at the end of his career. Is it a fair trade? Do you take the deal?

I think you can make the case that it is is a pretty good deal, even ignoring the fact that he got paid a pretty nice penny for most it. but let's just be honest about it, this is really what is happening. Heck, I'd probably say on a whole, it was all worth but this part is pretty painful to watch.

Let's say it is the year 1976 and you are offered a choice. James Arthur Boeheim offers you 45 seasons of absolute dedication, with a .706 winning record, 1 National Championship, 5 Final Fours, a volume of NCAA Tournament Success, 10 Big East Titles, 5 Big East Tournaments Titles, and over 1000 wins, all in Syracuse, New York. On top of that, plenty of charitable work for the university and the community, as well.

In exchange, he asks for the freedom to build a team to feature his sons and their friends at the end of his career. Is it a fair trade? Do you take the deal?

I think you can make the case that it is is a pretty good deal, even ignoring the fact that he got paid a pretty nice penny for most it. but let's just be honest about it, this is really what is happening. Heck, I'd probably say on a whole, it was all worth but this part is pretty painful to watch.

“Everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn’t end” - Coughlin’s Law

It’s a valid question to ask.

I mean, you 100% take that deal. That doesn’t mean it wouldn’t suck to watch the last part once you were there.

It wasn't the bargain that was made. At least, not out loud.

This era will mercifully end once the Boeheims have graduated. This era will be defined by the fact that this isn't SU hoops as we came to know it. Meaning, this wasn't Boeheim-era hoops as we came to know it. Athleticism and personality defined those teams. We now play a circumscribed form of basketball designed to maybe enable us to sneak into the tournament.

It's not basketball that's fun to watch. SU hoops was almost always fun (and sometimes agonizing) to watch. Until further notice, we're in limbo.

Absolutely.

Also the talk that it hurts his legacy is nonsense. Long after he’s gone, he’ll still be Syracuse basketball. They should give him a statue tomorrow.

However, it’s frustrating because we were watching it happening in real time yet were told it wasn’t happening. Guess that doesn’t really matter though

I mean, it was clear to me Buddy's freshman season that this is what was happening. it was annoying that year to realize that is would be 3 more years of that. and here we are. didnt think buddy would do as well as he has. Never thought it would be boeheim brothers.

Still we are in the dark about the exact details of it all.

I'm fine with it...overall I think JB deserves it in a broad sense. Truly.

But I just wish it was out in the open. And we knew when it would end.

Kinda getting the feeling that all JB wants is to keep being the coach and he'll do and say anything to just stay in his role. some of his press conferences have been mind boggling to me this season. Which I get. But its getting hard to watch. especially since buddy has been on the team (for me personally)...the sanctions were BS imo...other programs have done much worse and gotten away with much lighter penalites and that has contributed a lot imo to where the program is at too...but still overall...its just way down and doesnt feel like its gonna go back up. maybe...idk...only after the family aau style team is over.

playing time/roster sposts/ tactics etc all needs to be based on what is actually happening on the court and it hasnt felt that way in a while.

but overall yeah its been great being an SU fan so...of course you take it. but this last stretch has been brutal.

I would like it if it wasnt being packaged as things are normal..they arent. I wish it could just be out in the open what is really going on.

Would have been nice if they had asked…..

Nobody is mad that his two kids are on the team. If they were 9-1 it would be a good story. The issue is They had players on campus that got “pushed” out. Jimmy could have an acceptable role on the team if say woody or braswell had stayed. Jimmy being forced to be a go to scorer and play 30+ doesn’t put the team in the best position to win.

It didn’t/doesn’t have to be one or the other.

I do understand the question though and I take it

I mean who among us hasn’t created players and put them in the game on PlayStation or XBox? JB pulled it off IRL and I respect that. It doesn’t mean I enjoy watching it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom