The Greatest Mascots in College Football History | Syracusefan.com

The Greatest Mascots in College Football History

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Hello, Otto

Um, this list is whack. Osceola? Saltine Warrior? The Mountaineer? trojan? These are just off the top of my head.

There are only two topics that I can speak to authoritatively on this board. Mascots is one of them.

This list is... meh.

South Carolina, Oregon and WKU have no place in a top 10.

Last edited:
Um, this list is whack. Osceola? Saltine Warrior? The Mountaineer? trojan? These are just off the top of my head.
TROJAN??? What school has a condom for a mascot?

I dig WKU. Any mascots that crap all over the field (look at the bevo pic again) are disqualified from this contest. Let’s bring the Blue Hen and the anteater in.

No way can the duck be #2, unless referring to restroom functions. Otherwise, they don't make the top 100.

Alabama needs an elephant.

Obviously, Otto is #1 in my book, but for everyone else, LSU has a real tiger, FSU has a real chief...on horseback...throwing down a Lance at midfield (hard to get more imaginative than that!). There are others but those fall in right behind Otto.

That Stanford tree looks like it should be in some cheesy horror film. Maybe team it up with the Toxic Avenger.

I dig WKU. Any mascots that crap all over the field (look at the bevo pic again) are disqualified from this contest. Let’s bring the Blue Hen and the anteater in.
I am good with WKU too. There is way too much copying going on. Not enough originality.

In my assessment of college mascots, I start by eliminating all dogs and cats. That alone eliminates a lot of schools, ranging from Georgetown, to UConn, to Nova, to Penn State, Pitt and Vermont. Lots of questionable schools go by the wayside there. Major progress.

I then eliminate violent animals. They scare the kids and eat the nice animals. Not good. Bye bye Michigan and Wisconsin. See you Arkansas, Colorado, Rhode Island, Maine, Texas, New Mexico, UCLA, Cal, Washington State, Montana, UB, et al.

Then we must purge the birds. They poop on everything. Disgusting. Iowa, BC, Southern Mississippi, Temple, Rice, St Johns, etc.

Of course, we need to get rid of the devil inspired mascots too. Bad for our impressionable youth. DePaul, Duke, Wake Forest and Arizona State,

I then eliminate all human mascots. Too many of them. Too easy. Goodbye ND, so long Virginia, Iona, UNLV, Notre Dame and Hawaii. Later Rutgers and UMass. Sorry Dr Gross but USC has to go now too. You too Nebraska and Purdue.

After that bloodbath, what is left?

Weird animals like banana slugs, horned frogs and goats.

The Stanford Tree.

Tulane.

St Louis.

Iowa State. No, we have to eliminate natural disasters. That applies to you too Miami.

In this awful world of mascot fear and death, only one stands apart, always happy and welcoming, always ready to give a hug, and yes, probably chase after a butterfly.

Otto.

And that is why Otto is the best.

I am good with WKU too. There is way too much copying going on. Not enough originality.

In my assessment of college mascots, I start by eliminating all dogs and cats. That alone eliminates a lot of schools, ranging from Georgetown, to UConn, to Nova, to Penn State, Pitt and Vermont. Lots of questionable schools go by the wayside there. Major progress.

I then eliminate violent animals. They scare the kids and eat the nice animals. Not good. Bye bye Michigan and Wisconsin. See you Arkansas, Colorado, Rhode Island, Maine, Texas, New Mexico, UCLA, Cal, Washington State, Montana, UB, et al.

Then we must purge the birds. They poop on everything. Disgusting. Iowa, BC, Southern Mississippi, Temple, Rice, St Johns, etc.

Of course, we need to get rid of the devil inspired mascots too. Bad for our impressionable youth. DePaul, Duke, Wake Forest and Arizona State,

I then eliminate all human mascots. Too many of them. Too easy. Goodbye ND, so long Virginia, Iona, UNLV, Notre Dame and Hawaii. Later Rutgers and UMass. Sorry Dr Gross but USC has to go now too. You too Nebraska and Purdue.

The Stanford Tree.

Tulane.

St Louis.

Iowa State. No, we have to eliminate natural disasters. That applies to you too Miami.

In this awful world of mascot fear and death, only one stands apart, always happy and welcoming, always ready to give a hug, and yes, probably chase after a butterfly.

Otto.

As always Tom comes through with the truth

The Stanford Tree.

Tulane.

St Louis.

Otto.

I like the logic, and I like that the Billikens are the runner up. (Seriously, can't do much better than a Billiken, unless you're The Round Man.)