The Guns of Will Sonnett: No Brag, Just Fact | Syracusefan.com

The Guns of Will Sonnett: No Brag, Just Fact

hobbit88

Walk On
Before I make anyone on here mad with what I'm about to copy into this post, let me just say that what little I've read about Boeheim I like. He's a straight shooter and says what he thinks; I like a guy that's not afraid to let the chips fall and say what he thinks instead of mouthing the usual PC platitudes.

The following just came in on the InsideCarolina board and will give you a good understanding of why Carolina fans like myself think so much of Roy Williams. It was sent to our board by a Kansas fan.

Kansas fan here, I come in peace, thought you guys might enjoy this:

www2.kusports.com/news/2011/se...oy-williams-kr/

In Keith Langford's words ...
RESPECT FOR ROY

"Most people don’t know this, but we had a lot of recruits take visits here, guys that are in the NBA right now, that Roy turned down. He would talk to us after their visit and ask us if we thought the guy would be a good fit. That was Roy's thing: It wasn’t always about getting the highest-rated recruits. It was about getting guys who were the best fit for what was going on.

Kris Humphries came on a visit and tried to commit. He really wanted to come here. But no one on the team liked Kris Humphries. He was arrogant. He told everyone he was going to come in and be the leading scorer as a freshman and that we’d all have to take a backseat to him. We were trying to be respectful and not say anything. But he was an absolute jerk. It was tough, because Roy was really excited about him. Kris Humphries was a big deal. He was a one-and-done or a two-and-done kind of player. Roy wanted him to commit on his visit. But we told him, "Coach, you can't bring this guy in. You can't do it." You'd figure Roy would say something like, “Let’s work on him,” or “Let’s give him another chance.” Instead he told Humphries, “Sorry, but you can’t come.” Bill Self did the same thing years later with Terrence Williams.

For all the respect we showed Roy, he always made it a point to show respect back. He treated everyone in his program really well. The coaches would never eat before the players. And when it came to getting in line for food, the seniors would always go first — then junior, sophomores, freshmen, managers and then coaches at the very end. They treated everyone from top to bottom the absolute same. Drew would get the same amount of attention that Chris Zerbe would get. It was incredible. His morals and his ethics and the way he conducted himself ... we would never catch him being a hypocrite. That was big with us.

Another thing was that, with us, you never had to worry about any sort of NCAA violations or rule-breaking. Roy always emphasized that he was going to do everything he could to help get us money. He was going to squeeze every dollar he could out of our scholarship checks. He was going to help us get our Pell grants and find camps for us to work at during the summer. He'd always say, “Don’t do anything to break NCAA rules, because we’re going to make sure you have a way to make money.” He was great about that. The fact that we stayed out of trouble also goes back to the character of guys he brought in. Like I said, it wasn't always the top 10 guys. It was the guys who were the best fit."

Say what you want about Roy, but he definitely has some loyal former players.

Probably a nice guy--I don't know him. However, he must have spent a lot of money laundering players' shirts after he cried all over them.:)

Well I live in North Carolina currently and I would have to say that every fan base has its good and bad. With that being said Carolina fans in general are passonate but often arrogant and sometimes not in touch with reality. I feel a lot of it has to do with past success. I feel like a lot of NC State fans don't haven't had as much success in the past so they have a little better touch on reality.

Hobbit I hope you are not becoming SJU BBall reincarnated... I'm starting to see some early warning signs.

Hobbit I hope you are not becoming SJU BBall reincarnated... I'm starting to see some early warning signs.
Hobbits share realms with trolls. Wariness is warranted.

Like I said I don't care one way or the other but 80% of N. Carolina fans can be unbearable when talking about their team and are by far the most numerous in this state. Duke fans come out when basketball season is here and they can be unreal as well. Wake and NC State have the least amount of fan base and like I said are easier to deal with in my opinion

Another thing was that, with us, you never had to worry about any sort of NCAA violations or rule-breaking.

Seems like that's the kind of quote that could look bad in a few years.

No he doesnt drop f bombs... but "he doesnt give a about UNC right now"... rember that dude?

im sure theres a lot more to the story and quotes you chose to use. ill just leave it at that.

Before I make anyone on here mad with what I'm about to copy into this post, let me just say that what little I've read about Boeheim I like. He's a straight shooter and says what he thinks; I like a guy that's not afraid to let the chips fall and say what he thinks instead of mouthing the usual PC platitudes.

The following just came in on the InsideCarolina board and will give you a good understanding of why Carolina fans like myself think so much of Roy Williams. It was sent to our board by a Kansas fan.

Kansas fan here, I come in peace, thought you guys might enjoy this:

www2.kusports.com/news/2011/se...oy-williams-kr/

In Keith Langford's words ...
RESPECT FOR ROY

"Most people don’t know this, but we had a lot of recruits take visits here, guys that are in the NBA right now, that Roy turned down. He would talk to us after their visit and ask us if we thought the guy would be a good fit. That was Roy's thing: It wasn’t always about getting the highest-rated recruits. It was about getting guys who were the best fit for what was going on.

Kris Humphries came on a visit and tried to commit. He really wanted to come here. But no one on the team liked Kris Humphries. He was arrogant. He told everyone he was going to come in and be the leading scorer as a freshman and that we’d all have to take a backseat to him. We were trying to be respectful and not say anything. But he was an absolute jerk. It was tough, because Roy was really excited about him. Kris Humphries was a big deal. He was a one-and-done or a two-and-done kind of player. Roy wanted him to commit on his visit. But we told him, "Coach, you can't bring this guy in. You can't do it." You'd figure Roy would say something like, “Let’s work on him,” or “Let’s give him another chance.” Instead he told Humphries, “Sorry, but you can’t come.” Bill Self did the same thing years later with Terrence Williams.

For all the respect we showed Roy, he always made it a point to show respect back. He treated everyone in his program really well. The coaches would never eat before the players. And when it came to getting in line for food, the seniors would always go first — then junior, sophomores, freshmen, managers and then coaches at the very end. They treated everyone from top to bottom the absolute same. Drew would get the same amount of attention that Chris Zerbe would get. It was incredible. His morals and his ethics and the way he conducted himself ... we would never catch him being a hypocrite. That was big with us.

Another thing was that, with us, you never had to worry about any sort of NCAA violations or rule-breaking. Roy always emphasized that he was going to do everything he could to help get us money. He was going to squeeze every dollar he could out of our scholarship checks. He was going to help us get our Pell grants and find camps for us to work at during the summer. He'd always say, “Don’t do anything to break NCAA rules, because we’re going to make sure you have a way to make money.” He was great about that. The fact that we stayed out of trouble also goes back to the character of guys he brought in. Like I said, it wasn't always the top 10 guys. It was the guys who were the best fit."

Say what you want about Roy, but he definitely has some loyal former players.

Coach Boeheim is also held in the highest regard by his former players. There really isn't much difference between Roy and JB in terms of their character and passion for teach young men the games of bball and life. The difference is that JB is more likely to show his emotions through a well calculated verbal deluge of anger or extreme disappointment, where Roy is more likely to add some tears to the mix. As Syracuse fans, me included, we like to poke fun at Roy but understand at the same time he is a HOF coach and very good friend of JB. He'll go down as one of the all time greats...even if he does cry like a girl. ;) Just kidding. See, we can't resist.

I'm not gonna lie, I began hating Roy Williams when I heard he had a Presbyterian fan kicked out of a game for yelling "Hey Dion, don't brick it!" (or something like that) late in the second half during a blow-out UNC win in the Dean Dome.

Being a person in power and using your authority to pick on another person for something as simple as rooting against your team is a low-life thing to do. I'm sure there are a million reasons to love the guy too, but for whatever reason, I always associate that with Roy Williams now and I can't bring myself to like him.

Like I said I don't care one way or the other but 80% of N. Carolina fans can be unbearable when talking about their team and are by far the most numerous in this state. Duke fans come out when basketball season is here and they can be unreal as well. Wake and NC State have the least amount of fan base and like I said are easier to deal with in my opinion

I'll grant that many Carolina fans are obnoxious and over-the-top, especially with The Carolina Way thing.

While I do happen to think there is a right way and a wrong way to do things, I think it's presumptuous to think our (or anyone else's) university has a corner on that market. Bobby Knight, for all his anger management issues, also was a straight up dude, made sure his kids attended class and graduated, and evidently ran a clean-as-a-whistle program too.

Where I draw the line is when people try to make Dean Smith a saint, an angel, and ... well, I won't go any higher than that.

Yes, he was a superb basketball coach and evidently a man of deep character and integrity. But some folks lose all sense of reality in their enthusiasm for him, it borders on outright idolatry.

So how'd we get off on all that on Syracuse's board anyway?

I'm not a troll or a flamer, so whoever it was you were comparing me to, I'm not him.

Just trying to have a little fun with the Will Sonnett quote. I figure our two programs will have collisions a-plenty as soon as the Exit Strategy can be worked out.

Speaking of which, what's up with this Big East commissioner, anyway? He sounds wayyyy unreasonable to me, but then that's just my humble opinion. Maybe he thinks it's the big East Germany, and he can build a wall beyond which none of its members can escape without paying off Brezhnev or somone ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom