The guys we've got coming in | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The guys we've got coming in

Yeah, he's a 5 star guy. Just like Christmas and Coleman.

No, he's a 5 star forward, not a 5 star center. He's got an offensive game. He's going to be a great player.

McCullough is our best recruit since Carmelo.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Here's hoping he has a similar impact.

That's great. But, can they score the basketball? At the end of the day, games are won based on an ability to put the ball in the basket.

And I'm hoping you meant 195 for Johnson.

Well, if Pitt winning 9 out the last 11 or so meetings suggests anything, I believe they're not too concerned about putting the ball in the basket...at least often enough to get the W against us. Just sayin... :noidea:

Well, if Pitt winning 9 out the last 11 or so meetings suggests anything, I believe they're not too concerned about putting the ball in the basket...at least often enough to get the W against us. Just sayin... :noidea:
Pitt needs to realize their system is great at beating us and winning in the big east regular season but gets them no where in the tourney

our problems with Pitt have nothing to do with the size or shape of our guys

Maybe not, but one thing that has been consistent is our guys afterwards repeatedly saying how physical the game was and how they out toughed us etc. So, imo, there's a direct correlation between their physicality & style that suits them vs. our finesse/style.

Maybe not, but one thing that has been consistent is our guys afterwards repeatedly saying how physical the game was and how they out toughed us etc. So, imo, there's a direct correlation between their physicality & style that suits them vs. our finesse/style.
yes I agree, but that has nothing to do with the size of our guys that is all effort and mindset

If Pitts blueprint works so well wouldn't every college team just load up on big, physical, strong players? The answer is no, it works so well because the BE let's them get away with it.

I wasn't looking forward to theses guys coming in and dazzling everybody, (I hope they will), but failing to see the kind of "banger" we need to contend with a team like Pitt. Coleman will be the only tall guy who isn't a stringbean.

the only thing I'd say is that we've been fairly successful without building ourselves around what it takes to contend with Pitt. They have yet to knock us out of the postseason and in most cases their style gets them knocked out of the post season earlier than we would find acceptable. So I am not ready to say we need to adjust our approach in order to contend with Pitt. Especially when we are going to the ACC next year where it isn't clear that Pitt's bullsp1t will fly.

If Pitts blueprint works so well wouldn't every college team just load up on big, physical, strong players? The answer is no, it works so well because the BE let's them get away with it.
well big east teams are starting to imitate, i.e. cincy, marquette, USF

which is why I am glad we are getting out

the Big East used to be the happy medium between ACC and Big Ten basketball, now it is becoming the ugly stepchild of the Big Ten

good riddance

Pitt needs to realize their system is great at beating us and winning in the big east regular season but gets them no where in the tourney

Well, no different than our system, they have a successful system that suits them. We have had our shares of struggles in the tourney as well. I don't have the numbers, but it would be interesting to see what Pitt's tourney record is since '03 vs. ours. If I were to guess, it isn't that much different...though, I could certainly be incorrect...

I will take JB's blueprint over Dixon's any day. To question it is just asinine. Just my 2 cents.

I guess one could make a similiar argument regards to us. I don't see too many (if any) other college teams with our particular system. Bottom line is Pitt's system works for them and in the conference they've played in. That's what teams do, build a system that gives you the most success in your conference...and it has. Whether it's football, basketball, etc., you always hear coaches talk about success in their leagues first and foremost.

I guess one could make a similiar argument regards to us. I don't see too many (if any) other college teams with our particular system. Bottom line is Pitt's system works for them and in the conference they've played in. That's what teams do, build a system that gives you the most success in your conference...and it has. Whether it's football, basketball, etc., you always hear coaches talk about success in their leagues first and foremost.
Their system has worked for 10 years or so. Even with their dominance over us I still think we have been more successful overall even in their heyday.

I just want guys who can take the punishment and still make the plays that will win the game for us. Maybe the new guys will but not if they're skinny.
Well, look at this way. CJ should be returning and he has lready shown he can produce in the BE, he shouldthrive even more in the ACC, he seems to be their style of player. Hopefully, JG will put on a few pounds and hit the weight room. He has the skill and the motor and most recognize he just needs to get stronger to finish. Again, going to the ACC will help. If Rak returns, he's got he build, just needs to get the desire. Baye has the desire, he just needs to get stronger. Mayb going into his sr year will push him to another level. So there you have it, 2 returners should be ready, maybe even 4. And all front line guys. Gbinije has been there and hopefully will know what it takes. I ain't one to be overly optimsitc about guys advancing but none of these things seem out of line.

I will take JB's blueprint over Dixon's any day. To question it is just asinine. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think anyone here in this thread is questioning JB's system, I agree though, with his tremendous success, it would be somewhat asinine. I can not stand Pitt's style of play, it frustrates the heck out of me, but just as our system has been successful for us, Pitt's has been successful for them...factually & statisically speaking that is.

Their system has worked for 10 years or so. Even with their dominance over us I still think we have been more successful overall even in their heyday.

We have a NC, they do not. :) But, Pitt has always had success against us, extending much more than 10 years. We had very good teams back when Evans was there and those Pitt teams with Smith, Lane & company also had quite a bit of success against us, albeit, not the same mug type style.

We have a NC, they do not. :) But, Pitt has always had success against us, extending much more than 10 years. We had very good teams back when Penders was there and those Pitt teams with Smith, Lane & company also had quite a bit of success against us, albeit, not the same mug type style.
I don't know that record against Pitt is pretty lopsided. Saw it yesterday I can't remember what it was.

It works for Butler and Michigan State, though.

Like I said, it is just plain short sighted to try to change anything strategically about our program to increase success against Pitt specifically. You could build the perfect team to defeat them, win every time against them, and wind up with teams that can only win 19 games a year. Even being in the same conference, they are insignificant to us. We have bigger fish to fry than g-damn Pittsberg. And since they never are a factor in the second weekend of the tournament, ever, there is little risk in ignoring them as a strategic focus.

You recruit to be in best position to beat top teams... not one individual team.

That's what they said about Dontae Green and Paul Harris.

Green may have been our best recruit since Melo, at that time.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom