The Indestructable Syracuse University Football Program | Syracusefan.com

The Indestructable Syracuse University Football Program

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Over the years it has become clear that with a remarkable football history/tradition, Syracuse University Football can and will compete at the highest level of college football - if it is properly funded and coached.

We have seen it time and again.

The Program buckles under economic pressure, secures funding, hires the right coach, and returns to prominence.

It happened in the early 1950s.

It happened in the early 1980s.

It happened briefly under Marrone, and it has happened again.

Some schools cannot do it - even with massive funding - See Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland and even UCLA.

We are lucky that the years of great success and great history have laid a foundation that is indestructible.

Last edited:
Over the years it has become clear that with a remarkable football history/tradition, Syracuse University Football can and will compete at the highest level of college football - if it is properly funded and coached.

We have seen it time again.

The Program buckles under economic pressure, secures funding, hires the right coach, and returns to prominence.

Some schools cannot do it - even with massive funding - See Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland and even UCLA.

We are lucky that the years of great success and great history have laid a foundation that is indestructible.
Great post. I started a thread along these lines as well. Its funny but when you get outside of the 315 it becomes apparent that Syracuse in a National brand. With the ACC Network and the stadium redo we are entering a Golden age. Its great to be back and i think back for a very long time.

Great post. I started a thread along these lines as well. Its funny but when you get outside of the 315 it becomes apparent that Syracuse in a National brand. With the ACC Network and the stadium redo we are entering a Golden age. Its great to be back and i think back for a very long time.

That’s something I don’t think UConn and Rutgers football fans have ever really understood. The whole schtick they had about Syracuse football having its best days behind it always ignored that a good season from Syracuse was going to be immediately credible nationally, while those two programs were going to require a number of years of sustained success to reach the same level of credibility.

I’ve been involved in a ton of social media conversations this year where it’s just accepted Syracuse is good and a legitimate threat to beat anyone - a lot of that is beating Clemson last year and taking them to the limit this year...but some is that fans over say 40 remember good Syracuse teams.

Last edited:
That’s something I don’t think UConn and Rutgers football fans have ever really understood. The whole schtick they had about Syracuse football having its best days behind it always ignored that a good season from Syracuse was going to be immediately credible nationally, while those two programs were going to require a number of years of sustained success to reach the same level of credibility.

I’ve been involved in a ton of social media conversations this year where it’s just accepted Syracuse is good and a legitimate threat to beat anyone - a lot of that is beating Clemson last year and taking them to the limit this year...but somevis that fans over say 40 remember good Syracuse teams.

And we punch far above our weight with our media reach. Like you said, UConn and Rutgers fans never truly understood college football.

you are over thinking it. Coaches matter a ton in college football - heck, football in general (see Belichick). A great coach can win anywhere. When Syracuse has a great coach they win. When they don't, the secondary factors aren't strong enough for Syracuse to be decent (the way say, Texas, could still be decent even with iffy coaching).

Look at Washington St. Even they can win with Leach. Kansas St. was cover your eyes awful for decade, then they got Snyder. TCU was a nothing and they got Patterson.

Syracuse finally has a really good coach who, importantly, finally decided to utilize the natural advantages of having a dome. The future is bright...so long as we have a great coach.

Don't forget the Newhouse factor. The bit they showed of the Newhouse alums on TV was great, and hopefully they find a way to sneak stuff like that in every broadcast. The media will never forget about us as long as Newhouse keeps cranking out talent.

"Indestructable" As Judge Judy would say: PERFECT!
Interesting post.

"Indestructable" As Judge Judy would say: PERFECT!
Interesting post.
a tribute to the longtime fans (whether or not they be sth )that have remained on board(albiet a lifeboat at time)'throughout the many years. the cold reality of archbold stadium to the sweltering heat and humidity of the dome in september----i never would have imagined ----go figure

Here is an interesting thought I had, which ACC team has the greatest football history? I think the finalists would be: SU, Pitt, Clemson, FSU. Other teams like Miami, Gtech and Vtech have some claim too but I don't see them as long lasting. This would include alumni success in the pro and coaching ranks as well.

you are over thinking it. Coaches matter a ton in college football - heck, football in general (see Belichick). A great coach can win anywhere. When Syracuse has a great coach they win. When they don't, the secondary factors aren't strong enough for Syracuse to be decent (the way say, Texas, could still be decent even with iffy coaching).

Look at Washington St. Even they can win with Leach. Kansas St. was cover your eyes awful for decade, then they got Snyder. TCU was a nothing and they got Patterson.

Syracuse finally has a really good coach who, importantly, finally decided to utilize the natural advantages of having a dome. The future is bright...so long as we have a great coach.
Exactly. When we had a crappy coach tradition meant nothing. Have a good coach with a competent QB and you can win in college football. I don't care if you have 100 years of tradition or just jumped to the Div IA level this past year.

Here is an interesting thought I had, which ACC team has the greatest football history? I think the finalists would be: SU, Pitt, Clemson, FSU. Other teams like Miami, Gtech and Vtech have some claim too but I don't see them as long lasting. This would include alumni success in the pro and coaching ranks as well.

Miami has 40 years of incredible history. They had two 30 for 30s, changed the game, and were a movement in some regards. To me everyone is playing for second place.

If it’s long term history sure SU. But Miami changed the sport

Miami has 40 years of incredible history. They had two 30 for 30s, changed the game, and were a movement in some regards. To me everyone is playing for second place.

Agreed.
Our tradition is longer, but UM’s has been brighter, no question.

I can see that, they had a good run.

Exactly how I look at it. Good post

We had Jim Brown, and Al Davis, and I think 9 NFL HOFERS. Art Monk, 1st african-american Heisman trophy winner, Ernie Davis.
Again- longer vs brighter...as in:
5 NC’s, changing th culture of the game, numerous NFL draft picks, etc etc
We’re not chopped liver, but UM’s history is second to none- except maybe the Bamas, NDs, and OSU’s of the world.
I’d argue Clemson, even w/ their recent success, as the one that needs to be loooked at in the ACC, more than Miami.

This post should be pinned and expanded.

Coaches matter a ton in every sport at every level. Full stop.

This post should be pinned and expanded.

Coaches matter a ton in every sport at every level. Full stop.

Finding said coaches and keeping said coaches matter a ton, too.

It's not easy to do either. Need astute management & then the proper resources.

Hopefully we have both now. Because basketball is going to need the same sort of situation. I believe the program will be left in MUCH better shape but we still need to make the right decision.

We have seen it time and again.

Superb post...

GTech has a better history ... more bowl game appearances, more weeks ranked in the AP poll over time .. more consensus All-Americans ... and legendary coaches (Heisman, Dodd, etc.) Even a more recent National Championship, the only thing they lack is a Heisman Trophy winner but hell the guy they named the trophy after coached there .. they even have more wins all time.

I’ve been involved in a ton of social media conversations this year where it’s just accepted Syracuse is good and a legitimate threat to beat anyone - a lot of that is beating Clemson last year and taking them to the limit this year...but some is that fans over say 40 remember good Syracuse teams.
Over 40? Im 38, and remember many good Syracuse teams.