The irony of Yours Truly and Trevor Cooney | Syracusefan.com

The irony of Yours Truly and Trevor Cooney

TBCuse11

Starter
First off, its awesome to see Trevor finally putting together a nice run of games. Although i tend to disagree with it, its clear the Jimmy B's never ending green light w Trevor has boosted his confidence. He is playing really well. Part of the reason is he at least tries to drive to the hole. Now he is not a good finisher, probably not even average, but the threat of it at least forces defenders to keep it in the back of their minds. This is precisely what me and others deemed as "Cooney haters" have been wanting all along. Drive the ball. His handle is not bad and his mid range game isnt either. Its great to see him playing better. He certainly deserved criticism for stringing together about 20 games straight of pure garbage, but he also deserves a ton of praise for how he has turned it around.

Now for the irony of it all:

As i sat at the game and watched Trevor drain shot after shot (which despite what many would think, drew loud cheers and fist pumps from me), i realized that the games i attend... Trevor plays his best. Weird but true. Coincidence, yes. But fact nonetheless. I was present for the barrage vs Notre Dame last year. All told, 9 games last year and 4 games this year... Cuse has gone 13-0 and Trevor has averaged 19.8 points per game.

I will be in attendance Tuesday vs Wake and also for Louisville. Bet the ranch on those games if you like messing w Vegas. And expect the young Irishman to go off. Keep it up Trevor !!

PS - actually a pretty nice crowd for a Sunday night. Cuse surely is a basketball town.

He does need to learn to finish better that's for sure. He always seems to be rushing to get the shot up on the rim. JB said he just throws himself in the air which is pretty accurate as well. LOL

I for one give you credit for posting an almost completely pro Cooney thread ;)

He does need to learn to finish better that's for sure. He always seems to be rushing to get the shot up on the rim. JB said he just throws himself in the air which is pretty accurate as well. LOL

I for one give you credit for posting an almost completely pro Cooney thread ;)

"almost". Thats the best i can do. He still puts up some dreadful fadeaways with two guys in his face. He has got to be shooting less than 10% on those.

He is much much better though. I actually think he will end up 2nd team All ACC this year.

... and yeah, Patterson starting over Cooney is a terrible idea. I have said Cooney should be the 6th man (which i take back), but I never wanted Patterson to start. I wanted G up top in the zone.

I bet you were fist pumping that CMAC injury too;)

"almost". Thats the best i can do. He still puts up some dreadful fadeaways with two guys in his face. He has got to be shooting less than 10% on those.

He is much much better though. I actually think he will end up 2nd team All ACC this year.

... and yeah, Patterson starting over Cooney is a terrible idea. I have said Cooney should be the 6th man (which i take back), but I never wanted Patterson to start. I wanted G up top in the zone.

I get the shot selection but when a guy is 9-15 and 7-11 on 3's he can take a couple stupid shots. Its when he is struggling that it drives me crazy because those shots aren't getting him going.

But fact nonetheless. I was present for the barrage vs Notre Dame last year. All told, 9 games last year and 4 games this year... Cuse has gone 13-0 and Trevor has averaged 19.8 points per game.

I will be in attendance Tuesday vs Wake and also for Louisville. Bet the ranch on those games if you like messing w Vegas.

Okay, man, you know your duty! Buy yourself one of them there Duke tickets up in the wasteland and ATTEND THAT GAME! Oh, please go down for the game in Raleigh as well.

I haven't been able to see any games since Villanova. I appreciate that he's scoring better (okay, a lot better), but how is he playing? When I saw him against 'Nova he was struggling to get open, forced or rushed his shot, and seemed really slow afoot - almost like he was injured. What's different?

I haven't been able to see any games since Villanova. I appreciate that he's scoring better (okay, a lot better), but how is he playing? When I saw him against 'Nova he was struggling to get open, forced or rushed his shot, and seemed really slow afoot - almost like he was injured. What's different?

He's been given the ball much more which has seemed to ignite his offense and make his shot more fluid. Some of it may simply be that he has the ball enough that he doesn't have to rely on guys to get him shots. Also a big part of it has been MikeG emerging as a good shooter and slasher which has helped the spacing tremendously. Cooney's ball handling looks better than Kaleb or Mike's I mean more than just solid and very good. He is getting a lot of pick and roll action rather than catch and shoot off the screen which has allowed him to expand his game by driving or shooting off the dribble, both of which I expect he will get better and better at the more he does it. Still very shakey potatoes going to the rim in half court sets and finishing. The getting there part he has down the finishing not so much.

I bet you were fist pumping that CMAC injury too;)

lol absolutely not. I am one of McC's biggest supporters on here, and his injury pretty much ends any sort of shot we had to make a run this year. He is alot better than he is typically given credit for on this forum. Also, as a fellow ACL tear victim (twice) i know how much it hurts.

He's been given the ball much more which has seemed to ignite his offense and make his shot more fluid. Some of it may simply be that he has the ball enough that he doesn't have to rely on guys to get him shots. Also a big part of it has been MikeG emerging as a good shooter and slasher which has helped the spacing tremendously. Cooney's ball handling looks better than Kaleb or Mike's I mean more than just solid and very good. He is getting a lot of pick and roll action rather than catch and shoot off the screen which has allowed him to expand his game by driving or shooting off the dribble, both of which I expect he will get better and better at the more he does it. Still very shakey potatoes going to the rim in half court sets and finishing. The getting there part he has down the finishing not so much.

yep. handling the ball helps. he just cant get open consistently enough when he runs in circles off screens. now he can create his own shot sometimes.

But fact nonetheless. I was present for the barrage vs Notre Dame last year. All told, 9 games last year and 4 games this year... Cuse has gone 13-0 and Trevor has averaged 19.8 points per game.

I will be in attendance Tuesday vs Wake and also for Louisville. Bet the ranch on those games if you like messing w Vegas.

Okay, man, you know your duty! Buy yourself one of them there Duke tickets up in the wasteland and ATTEND THAT GAME! Oh, please go down for the game in Raleigh as well.

I cant bring myself to sit in those seats 100 yds from the court. Last year i had nice seats and it was a game to remember (obviously), but i think Trevor will have to do it on his own this time around !!

I am thinking a certain mod should give up his or...ahem...her behind the bench tickets for all games to TB for the rest of the season...this would ensure stellar performances from TC...I think said mod should sacrifice and take one for the team!!!

Not naming names as I don't want to put pressure on said individual...this person know who they are!!

TBCuse11 said:
This is precisely what me and others deemed as "Cooney haters" have been wanting all along. Drive the ball.

If only your posts about Trevor were as simple as he needs to drive to the basket more.

I am thinking a certain mod should give up his or...ahem...her behind the bench tickets for all games to TB for the rest of the season...this would ensure stellar performances from TC...I think said mod should sacrifice and take one for the team!!!

Not naming names as I don't want to put pressure on said individual...this person know who they are!!

Well since we're 9-1 at the dome , I bet there have been many people who've watched team home wins in person this season . :p Now if someone had been at both away game wins and not at the 2 away game losses, then maybe we should think of buying tickets to away games for them.

Now for the irony of it all:
princessbride4.jpg

this is an amazing idea. Duke and UVA only though. We dont need a lights out Trevor to beat anyone else on our home slate besides LVille, and I am already attending that one.
Just you watch everyone... TC will blow up tomorrow night with me there again, and then our next home game he will be 3 for 15. then the ticket offers will come flying in.

I cant bring myself to sit in those seats 100 yds from the court. Last year i had nice seats and it was a game to remember (obviously), but i think Trevor will have to do it on his own this time around !!
Villain! Knave! Rogue!