The Jim Boeheim (and Gerry McNamara and Allen Griffin) Show | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim (and Gerry McNamara and Allen Griffin) Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

I’ll start with a tribute to continuation of the streak of winning seasons, taken from my “Upside” post:

“Coach, congratulations on the team’s 17th win of the season. With that, we have clinched our 49th consecutive winning season, the longest streak in the country. The record is 54 by UCLA from 1948-2002. The record is very significant because it unites generals of players, coaches and fans who contributed to it and because it is something that puts us in the elite class of basketball programs. It’s not the ultimate goal of the season. But it is the first obtainable one and without it, any other goals are impossible. “

“Coach, when we started 9-4 people wondered how well we would do in the ACC schedule. So far we’ve done well, going 8-3. But the schedule is back-loaded with most of the games against highly ranked teams at the end and we knew that this team needed to dramatically improve to meet that challenge. How much has this team improved since the ACC schedule began? Are we now the team we need to be?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

The reason why they couldn’t do the show on Valentine’s Day was that the restaurant would be crowded with men taking out their wives and girlfriends for dinner – so they moved it to Monday night as Tuesday would be a travel day for Wednesday’s NC State game. They also cut back the show to 1 hour, eliminating the “Gomez” segment, (and my second question). Finally, Coach Boeheim had another engagement for this evening so assist coaches Gerry McNamara and Allen Griffin filled in for him.

They talked about the difficulty of the schedule coming up and made the point that we aren’t the only ones with a difficult run at the end of the season. Gerry referred to Clemson “whose record is not even close to their team”. Matt mentioned that SU is the only one of the top 7 teams in the conference not ranked in the Top 25 in the country.

Marty in Ithaca called in to ask how we stacked up against NC State. He at first didn’t realize that Coach Boeheim wasn’t there and congratulated him on his son’s performance. Matt noted that both Gerry and Allen had sons who weren’t yet old enough to play for SU. Gerry said he was shooting for ‘2930’. I think he meant 2030. “Buddy has been terrific after a slow start. He got going after the real games started.” GMAC compared Buddy’s form to…gulp…Klay Thompson! Both have “a high release, which leaves limited room for error”. Allen said “When Buddy makes shots, he changes things. Buddy shoots the lights out in practice, which increases the coach’s confidence in him and allows him to get more time in the games.” Matt mentioned that he’s “never seen anybody knock down shots in practice like Buddy. He goes 2-3 days in a row and doesn’t miss.” Gerry said that whenever he left the gym, he wanted to feel good so he never left without making at least 5 three pointers in a row. This developed into a practice offsetting a player who hit his last five scheduled shots continue until he misses. One day Buddy kept going until he’d made 38 three pointers in a row. Gerry said that he made them all from the top of the key. “He’s an elite-level shooter. “

Matt noted that NC State had scored only 24 points against Virginia Tech and then 96 in their next game. They are averaging 82 points per game. AG: “Markell Johnson is the key to their engine. They have a great pace of play and pressure you all the time. We need to be ready and organized and take advantage of their pressure.” Matt said that JB is always saying he wants his team to play faster and playing NC State will give what they want. The Wolfpack is “closer to Duke” in their pace of play. AG: “they want as many possessions as possible. “ GMAC: North Carolina plays that way, too.” It’s a good point: maybe (some of) the highly ranked opposition we will face in the final games will play basketball at a pace we are looking to play it at and that might help us. Gerry called the Duke-Virginia game “1A vs. 1B” and said that UNC is just a tier below them but “they can beat anybody and are playing their best ball. This league is so hard. We were the 9th best team in the league when we made the Final Four. Connecticut was the 9th best team in the big East when they won the national championship. Kudos to Duke for beating Virginia twice. They don’t lose at John Paul Jones Arena. It shows they are the best team. We’ve beaten the best team and by March we’ll have seen the best of the best.

Louisville has two grad transfer guards “and a lot of talent left over”. Matt noted that they didn’t fire their coach because they were a bad team”. AG: We have to cover the shooters, get long rebounds and get out and go.”

I called in my recognition of the 49 straight winning seasons and asked my first question. AG: “We’ve improved tremendously. Getting Frank back gave us the backcourt depth and experience we needed. He will bounce back from his recent slump. Our senior leaders must play better. We need to continue to have good practices. Oshae is playing well, attacking the boards.”

GMAC: We struggled defensively in New York. We are now more consistent. Frank hit some big shots vs. Pittsburgh. Paschal got those rebounds against Duke. We are a different team when we play well. Buddy’s emergence has made a difference, too. Robert Braswell is a terrific talent caught up in the flood at forward. We have much better ball movement, especially when Marek is in there… In this league, every night is different. Look at the Georgia Tech and Duke games. Coach says you are who you are. Your record shows who you are.” (But not for Clemson.) “New York might have been good for us. There was so much hype with the starting line-up of a Sweet 16 team back. We had high expectations. It was an early wake-up call….Our losses were one-sided but so were our wins, many by double figures. And we’ve got those road wins….Nobody is who they should be right now. Things can change rapidly. In 2013 we lost 4 of our last 5 regular season games and, with some minor adjustments, we wound up in the Final Four.”

Matt added that “We have 4 non-conference losses but we also have 5 true road wins and could get more.” GMAC added that they would be Quad 1 wins. He also said that Old Dominion was playing very well so that loss doesn’t look so bad. Matt said that they’d beaten the best team in their league and lost to the worst. (Who does that remind you of?) He said that SU had “the best win for an unranked team this year”. I’ve heard it said that we have the best win, period.

They had a trivia question: Tyus Battle is 21st on SU’s all-time scoring list. Who is next on the list for him to pass? (The 20th all-time scorer, who is 12 points ahead of Tyus’s 1,526 points). GMAC joked that Lawrence Moten keeps texting Tyus, telling him not to come back for his senior year. (Lawrence is the all-time leader with 2,334 points, which would be well within range if Tyus did come back).

Mike at Carrabba's submitted an answer, (he was correct) and a question that Matt said had been answered by JB on several occasions: would his coaches come up with the same answer? Yep. GMAC: We aren’t in a man-to-man and if you come up, you leave their guard and forward open. It will be 5 on 4 if he gets past you and that’s likely to result in penetration and a kick-out for the three. As a shooter, that’s the best shot you can get.” (I knew it’s better to get the pass from the inside rather than from the side!) “In this game we had a double-digit lead and so we’re going to stay in our set defense.” AG:” It also depends on the player You don’t want to give Ky Bowman head of steam.”

Matt wanted to know what’s going on with Frank Howard and Paschal Chukwu. Is it a mental thing? GMAC: “Frank needs to play at a better pace. He needs to be the aggressor instead of trying to pick apart the defense. He needs to get into the paint. He needs to play lower and drive with his shoulder down. it’s not like he’s an unproven guy being asked to do things he’s never done before….When we do scouting we often make sure to put in clips from our last game against that team where a player did well to give him some confidence going into the current game….Frank was all ready for the season and then hurt his ankle and was out for 9 weeks. He watched more film than anybody during that time.” Matt noted that Frank had been to the line only 28 times this year and in only 7 of the 20 games he’s played in. Last year he got to the line 128 times and in 33 of 37 games.

Joe Girard had a 69 point game. GMAC said it was an off night.

News had come in that Kyler Murray was opting to play football. Allen thought he had a better chance to make it in that sport. “You can wind up not panning out in the minor leagues in baseball. The worst he’ll do in football is to be a back-up quarterback.” GMAC thinks it better to avoid football if you can. “I don’t like to get hit.”

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

I’ll start with a tribute to continuation of the streak of winning seasons, taken from my “Upside” post:

“Coach, congratulations on the team’s 17th win of the season. With that, we have clinched our 49th consecutive winning season, the longest streak in the country. The record is 54 by UCLA from 1948-2002. The record is very significant because it unites generals of players, coaches and fans who contributed to it and because it is something that puts us in the elite class of basketball programs. It’s not the ultimate goal of the season. But it is the first obtainable one and without it, any other goals are impossible. “

“Coach, when we started 9-4 people wondered how well we would do in the ACC schedule. So far we’ve done well, going 8-3. But the schedule is back-loaded with most of the games against highly ranked teams at the end and we knew that this team needed to dramatically improve to meet that challenge. How much has this team improved since the ACC schedule began? Are we now the team we need to be?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

The reason why they couldn’t do the show on Valentine’s Day was that the restaurant would be crowded with men taking out their wives and girlfriends for dinner – so they moved it to Monday night as Tuesday would be a travel day for Wednesday’s NC State game. They also cut back the show to 1 hour, eliminating the “Gomez” segment, (and my second question). Finally, Coach Boeheim had another engagement for this evening so assist coaches Gerry McNamara and Allen Griffin filled in for him.

They talked about the difficulty of the schedule coming up and made the point that we aren’t the only ones with a difficult run at the end of the season. Gerry referred to Clemson “whose record is not even close to their team”. Matt mentioned that SU is the only one of the top 7 teams in the conference not ranked in the Top 25 in the country.

Marty in Ithaca called in to ask how we stacked up against NC State. He at first didn’t realize that Coach Boeheim wasn’t there and congratulated him on his son’s performance. Matt noted that both Gerry and Allen had sons who weren’t yet old enough to play for SU. Gerry said he was shooting for ‘2930’. I think he meant 2030. “Buddy has been terrific after a slow start. He got going after the real games started.” GMAC compared Buddy’s form to…gulp…Klay Thompson! Both have “a high release, which leaves limited room for error”. Allen said “When Buddy makes shots, he changes things. Buddy shoots the lights out in practice, which increases the coach’s confidence in him and allows him to get more time in the games.” Matt mentioned that he’s “never seen anybody knock down shots in practice like Buddy. He goes 2-3 days in a row and doesn’t miss.” Gerry said that whenever he left the gym, he wanted to feel good so he never left without making at least 5 three pointers in a row. This developed into a practice offsetting a player who hit his last five scheduled shots continue until he misses. One day Buddy kept going until he’d made 38 three pointers in a row. Gerry said that he made them all from the top of the key. “He’s an elite-level shooter. “

Matt noted that NC State had scored only 24 points against Virginia Tech and then 96 in their next game. They are averaging 82 points per game. AG: “Markell Johnson is the key to their engine. They have a great pace of play and pressure you all the time. We need to be ready and organized and take advantage of their pressure.” Matt said that JB is always saying he wants his team to play faster and playing NC State will give what they want. The Wolfpack is “closer to Duke” in their pace of play. AG: “they want as many possessions as possible. “ GMAC: North Carolina plays that way, too.” It’s a good point: maybe (some of) the highly ranked opposition we will face in the final games will play basketball at a pace we are looking to play it at and that might help us. Gerry called the Duke-Virginia game “1A vs. 1B” and said that UNC is just a tier below them but “they can beat anybody and are playing their best ball. This league is so hard. We were the 9th best team in the league when we made the Final Four. Connecticut was the 9th best team in the big East when they won the national championship. Kudos to Duke for beating Virginia twice. They don’t lose at John Paul Jones Arena. It shows they are the best team. We’ve beaten the best team and by March we’ll have seen the best of the best.

Louisville has two grad transfer guards “and a lot of talent left over”. Matt noted that they didn’t fire their coach because they were a bad team”. AG: We have to cover the shooters, get long rebounds and get out and go.”

I called in my recognition of the 49 straight winning seasons and asked my first question. AG: “We’ve improved tremendously. Getting Frank back gave us the backcourt depth and experience we needed. He will bounce back from his recent slump. Our senior leaders must play better. We need to continue to have good practices. Oshae is playing well, attacking the boards.”

GMAC: We struggled defensively in New York. We are now more consistent. Frank hit some big shots vs. Pittsburgh. Paschal got those rebounds against Duke. We are a different team when we play well. Buddy’s emergence has made a difference, too. Robert Braswell is a terrific talent caught up in the flood at forward. We have much better ball movement, especially when Marek is in there… In this league, every night is different. Look at the Georgia Tech and Duke games. Coach says you are who you are. Your record shows who you are.” (But not for Clemson.) “New York might have been good for us. There was so much hype with the starting line-up of a Sweet 16 team back. We had high expectations. It was an early wake-up call….Our losses were one-sided but so were our wins, many by double figures. And we’ve got those road wins….Nobody is who they should be right now. Things can change rapidly. In 2013 we lost 4 of our last 5 regular season games and, with some minor adjustments, we wound up in the Final Four.”

Matt added that “We have 4 non-conference losses but we also have 5 true road wins and could get more.” GMAC added that they would be Quad 1 wins. He also said that Old Dominion was playing very well so that loss doesn’t look so bad. Matt said that they’d beaten the best team in their league and lost to the worst. (Who does that remind you of?) He said that SU had “the best win for an unranked team this year”. I’ve heard it said that we have the best win, period.

They had a trivia question: Tyus Battle is 21st on SU’s all-time scoring list. Who is next on the list for him to pass? (The 20th all-time scorer, who is 12 points ahead of Tyus’s 1,526 points). GMAC joked that Lawrence Moten keeps texting Tyus, telling him not to come back for his senior year. (Lawrence is the all-time leader with 2,334 points, which would be well within range if Tyus did come back).

Mike at Carrabba's submitted an answer, (he was correct) and a question that Matt said had been answered by JB on several occasions: would his coaches come up with the same answer? Yep. GMAC: We aren’t in a man-to-man and if you come up, you leave their guard and forward open. It will be 5 on 4 if he gets past you and that’s likely to result in penetration and a kick-out for the three. As a shooter, that’s the best shot you can get.” (I knew it’s better to get the pass from the inside rather than from the side!) “In this game we had a double-digit lead and so we’re going to stay in our set defense.” AG:” It also depends on the player You don’t want to give Ky Bowman head of steam.”

Matt wanted to know what’s going on with Frank Howard and Paschal Chukwu. Is it a mental thing? GMAC: “Frank needs to play at a better pace. He needs to be the aggressor instead of trying to pick apart the defense. He needs to get into the paint. He needs to play lower and drive with his shoulder down. it’s not like he’s an unproven guy being asked to do things he’s never done before….When we do scouting we often make sure to put in clips from our last game against that team where a player did well to give him some confidence going into the current game….Frank was all ready for the season and then hurt his ankle and was out for 9 weeks. He watched more film than anybody during that time.” Matt noted that Frank had been to the line only 28 times this year and in only 7 of the 20 games he’s played in. Last year he got to the line 128 times and in 33 of 37 games.

News had come in that Kyler Murray was opting to play football. Allen thought he had a better chance to make it in that sport. “You can wind up not panning out in the minor leagues in baseball. The worst he’ll do in football is to be a back-up quarterback.” GMAC thinks it better to avoid football if you can. “I don’t like to get hit.”
Thanks as always, man. As a far-flung townie-in-exile, I appreciate these recaps immensely. You are a legend.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

COACH BOEHEIM

Thank you, and good call on the kick out 3. It gives even the slower shooters plenty of time to get set.

Thank you, and good call on the kick out 3. It gives even the slower shooters plenty of time to get set.

The shooter is already pretty much squared to the basket. They simply need to elevate and release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom