The Jim Boeheim Show (1/31/19) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (1/31/19)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

“Coach, last year we out-rebounded our opponents by 4 a game. This year we are even with nothing but ACC games and post season games to go. We have the same guys. Why aren’t we rebounding as well as we did last year? “

Second Hour:

“Coach, we seem to get off to slow starts on offense and Paschal Chukwu gets off to slow starts on defense. Why not start Marek Dolezaj to improve our offensive movement and then bring in a hopefully more motivated Paschal to defend a lead?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

JB: “It was good to get a win on the road. Anytime you do you are happy. There are always things to improve on. We re-grouped after a terrible start. BC made 2-3 really hard threes or it would have been a 10-12 point games. Bowman- the first was hard, the second impossible. On the 14-0 run Elijah hit two threes to get us going. Then we hit a two and Buddy hit a couple of threes.” Matt said that Jim’s typical emphasis was on improving and playing our best ball at the end of the season. JB: “You could play 100 games and still want to get better. Once we started playing defense they had three shot violations and a couple of rushed shots.”

I called in my first question about rebounding, pointing out that Oshae Brissett had 13 double-doubles last year and had only 4 this year, 2/3 of the way through the schedule. “We are not rebounding as well as we’d like. I don’t think we are bad, just not as good as we’d like to be. We were bigger last year. Marek and Oshae played 38 minutes a game. With Hughes we are down 2-3 rebounds at that position. Oshae is not as good but still pretty good at 7.5 rebounds a game. That’s one of the higher figures in the country for a forward. There’s your 4 rebounds. We got 7-8 lay-ups because they felt they had to guard Paschal, (Why?). Later he got into the lane and got a couple of rebounds. We gave up some easy shots in the game. We’ll keep working to get better.” Matt said that JB’s formula has been to make up for less rebounding in the zone with more steals. JB added “and to force people to shoot outside more. We made 5-6 foolish fouls that put them in the 1 and 1 early and they got more free throws than we did.”

Pittsburgh has suffered four double-digit losses in a row. “They beat Louisville and Florida State at home and lost by one to Iowa on the road. Those are all ranked teams. Their three guards are really good and that’s why they stay in games.” Will it help either team to have played each other before? They wouldn’t need a scouting report. “Each game is different.” Pittsburgh will be wearing throw-back jerseys and trying to set an attendance record.

Florida State “is loaded with material. They can send in 7 footers one after the other. I’m surprised we are still considered the tallest team in the country, (per KenPom), even with Hughes playing. We have big guards but there are a lot of big guards out there.”

They had a promotion involving free tickets for the Florida State game for a restaurant patron with the correct number on their bill. Matt jokingly suggested that, as an added benefit, “You get to call the first play of the game. Write it on a napkin and coach Boeheim will use it.” JB laughed. (We run plays?)

Matt said “We don’t need to spend too much time on the Virginia Tech game.” JB: “No…” Matt started to talk about Robinson hitting all those threes. JB: You can’t leave people open. That’s what that’s about.”

Josh in Boulder wanted to know what we can learn from the Virginia Tech game in which we scored 56 points after getting 85 in regulation vs. Duke. JB: Virginia Tech is one of the better defensive teams. Duke is not a great defensive team- they just out-score you. We didn’t shoot well and played bad defense against Virginia Tech. the referees called one foul on Virginia Tech in the first half, which is a joke. When you start the second half 11-0 they are going to score a couple of buckets, (and a couple more: they responded with a 1-14 run). Virginia Tech is one of the top 11-12 teams in the country. They are not a great team but they are a good one. Playing them helped us against BC. We learned we have to get out on the shooters. BC always makes a ton of shots against us there.“ Matt noted the shot clock violations we forced when we got out on them and how, as the coach noted in the press conference, that the move to play Tyus at the point “cut out the middle man” and avoided turnovers. JB: “We can do that some of time even when Frank is in there. Frank is 40% on spot-ups. “ About Tech losing to Virginia and North Carolina by 20: “This is what’s happening in college basketball. Only the top 4 teams don’t do that very often. We’re not there.”

He elaborated on the attitude of Frank Howard, to which he had made reference in the press conference. “Frank looked at the film and felt better. The difference in Frank’s playing time is less than 5 minutes from last year. Buddy and Jalen have to play. Tyus is one of the best players in the ACC. He’ll play 40 minutes. We are moving around the forwards. The centers are playing 20 minutes a game. Frank is playing at a good level. Buddy’s helped us. Jalen can help us in certain situations. He’s keeping his head up. I like Robert Braswell but there are only so many minutes for the forwards.”

Gomez reported that his weekly conversation with Gerry McNamara on his morning show had to be done by text because GMAC had lost his voice during last night’s game. The gist of it: “It was a great road win. Tyus Battle is really stinking good.” JB: “He took the game over and made it easy.” (That was easy?!?) “The big guys have to play better. We have to play better defense and get to the basket more… Oshae is only 205 pounds and needs to get stronger. He was shooting well and going up strong in the first half… They stayed with Chukwu and that got us 8-10 lay-ups… We were running the offense though the point guard, not the center. There are no talented big guys in college anymore and few in the NBA. The Spurs do some but Aldridge plays a lot of forward. The top teams in the country have no centers. …Tyus scored 14 points in 6-8 minutes and he can do the same thing at the 2. We can flip the offense. Frank is shooting well….Buddy had a good steal.”

I then called in my second questions. But first I kidded Jim about his comment that Buddy used his speed to get the steal and lay-up that clinched the game. I suggested that Buddy should keep Jim’s speed because Jim doesn’t need it any more. Then I wondered if it might have been Julie’s speed. Coach laughed each time. As to starting Marek: “We found out against Georgia Tech that Marek can’t play much at center, especially early in the game. Tech’s centers got 20 points.” (I thought nobody had any centers in college ball: Banks and Gueye were 9 for 12 for 20 points in the first half.) “The bad starts aren’t just about Paschal and Marek. Against Boston College there was no excuse. We got that first bucket but we missed a couple of lay-ups. Elijah finally got us going with his threes. We would not have been in the game at Duke at all without Paschal’s 18 rebounds. Marek gets 20-25 minutes a game. We need Oshae to be better on offense. We need Elijah to try to get to the line more.”

Pat called in to ask for JB’s help in his debate with someone he’s been arguing with all week about why we play zone. He asked the coach to repeat why we play all zone. JB: “We always were 50-50 man and zone. That created more decisions to make…. A man defense is more structured than a zone, (it is?) and it takes twice as much time to teach it… You can switch to a zone with a little practice and be fairly effective… We played a zone in 2003 because of our young players… In 2009 I decided that if we can’t beat LeMoyne playing man – and that was not a fluke: if we’d played zone in that game we’d have won by 20-25 points. Then we beat North Carolina by 15 points using the zone… By practicing the zone all the time you make it better… We guard the outside shots. Some zones don’t. We are usually among the best in the conference at that… When we recruit skinnier guys with offensive ability they wouldn’t be good in a man-for-man… There’s only a couple of teams in the country that play mostly zone. 100-200 of them play nothing but man-for-man. Most teams don’t switch….Last night we gave up 2-3 open threes. We moved out a little more and got 3 shot clock violations in 7-8 possessions. We can play outside more, change the way we play the post and the way we play screens….It helps us that most teams don’t play a zone. ” Gomez remembered Roy Williams saying “I’m glad we didn’t play LeMoyne tonight.”

Pat then asked if Oshae tends to drive with his head down too much. JB agreed: “Sometimes he doesn’t see the traffic or a guy back outside who is open. On the charge, Buddy was standing there with nobody near him. In the first half he was 3 for 3- he was on the bench with foul trouble but he did make those three shots. In the second half he just threw up a couple of wild ones. But it’s hard to finish in this league when you’re only 205 pounds. Marek isn’t finishing well, either”

Tom called in saying that the Coach is “a real digger when it comes to being faithful”. He was referring to getting back from Boston in this weather and still going out to do this show. Tom had seen Buddy play in high school: “You could count on him to make shots or penetrate. Don’t be afraid to put Buddy in there.” JB said not to worry, he won’t be afraid to put Buddy in there. “Buddy’s helped us since the league games started. We need Frank and Jalen, too.”

PART 2 will come tomorrow.

I know JB says things and his statement about how "100-200" teams don't change defenses is probably an exaggeration (and a pretty wide range for an actual fact) but I wonder how many there really are. A poster recently said that few teams stick to one defense any more. I'd be interested to know the truth but I don't watch enough non - SU games to know. Anyone?

I know JB says things and his statement about how "100-200" teams don't change defenses is probably an exaggeration (and a pretty wide range for an actual fact) but I wonder how many there really are. A poster recently said that few teams stick to one defense any more. I'd be interested to know the truth but I don't watch enough non - SU games to know. Anyone?
I happened to watch some of the women’s Louisville UConn game yesterday. Gino deployed a zone, and Louisville made a run with outside shooting, so he went back to man. In our win against Duke, K never went to his zone for some unknown reason, although he switches a lot more lately. We know that Hopkins switches defenses out in Washington, we’ve seen the bluebloods Kansas and Kentucky switch to zone when they know a team will struggle with the outside shop. So my own informal assessment is that JB is in a small minority of coaches that sticks with only one defense throughout the entire season, and at least half of D1 teams change up their defenses.

We were bigger last year? Come on JB...

If only Bowman for BC was say 6-5 or so like our guards, maybe instead of him at 6-1 averaging 8 boards per game he'd be around 12 or so. :confused:

I watched that ASU v. UA game last night. Cheatham for ASU had 22 boards, had 20 something in a game prior (according to Walton). He's not any taller at 6-7, 6-8 than our front line guys. Rebounding is 99% grit/effort/will/mindset.

I happened to watch some of the women’s Louisville UConn game yesterday. Gino deployed a zone, and Louisville made a run with outside shooting, so he went back to man. In our win against Duke, K never went to his zone for some unknown reason, although he switches a lot more lately. We know that Hopkins switches defenses out in Washington, we’ve seen the bluebloods Kansas and Kentucky switch to zone when they know a team will struggle with the outside shop. So my own informal assessment is that JB is in a small minority of coaches that sticks with only one defense throughout the entire season, and at least half of D1 teams change up their defenses.

Kansas never plays zone.

Wow I’m surprised. Can’t be much as I know people have criticized Self with being so rigid playing man.

I think JB is quite rare, like a 1%er among D1 coaches for NEVER ever switching. The Baylor guy is the only other one who comes to mind

I think JB is quite rare, like a 1%er among D1 coaches for NEVER ever switching. The Baylor guy is the only other one who comes to mind

There’s quite a few teams that are man only. Calhoun was that way. Izzo is that way. Tony Bennett is that way. KenPom keeps stats on this. I’m going to look it up.

Wow I’m surprised. Can’t be much as I know people have criticized Self with being so rigid playing man.

It's not often but Self has thrown a zone out there occasionally the past few seasons when their depth has been an issue, particularly on the inside.

We stay in the zone, but our zone morphs into different versions. So really we do change defenses.
That can't be right. And even if it is, it doesn't count. :rolleyes:

PART 2

There were two games on the TV screens: the SU women were playing Virginia, (they won 72-68 to improve to 17-4 and 6-2 in the conference) and a replay of Washington beating USC the night before. Jim predicted that Washington would win the replay. He also said they would win the Pac 12, which is “a weak conference”. It was acknowledged that SU’s basketball teams were 2-0 in Cameron Arena this year, quite an accomplishment. The women have attempted 600 three point shots and made 32%, (the men have attempted 514 and made 33%). “That’s almost like 50% from two. When they get going, they can beat anybody. “(So can the men!)

Louisville “is pounding people, really shocking scores. They are really, really good. They completely changed everything. Everybody is contributing.” Miami “lost three guys. They’d be among the top 5 teams in the league with those guys.” Clemson is “snake bit. Their best player missed a free throw and the other team hit a 30 footer.” North Carolina State “hung around vs. Virginia. They did a great job defensively and hit a couple.” Tennessee “is undersized but they have veteran players and are very physical. They should have lost at Vanderbilt but they got a ridiculous 4 point play.” Villanova: “Jay has just gone with veteran guys. He isn’t playing the freshmen any more. They have two guys who get 20 points a game each, (Phil Booth and Eric Paschall). They don’t get assists- they just put it one guy’s hands and go. They got 15 treys in the last game and 17 in the one before that.” Marquette is 19-3 and “really good. The Houser twins are both 6-8/6-9 and can shoot form outside. Markus Howard shoots from way out. They have a lot of weapons.”

On the Knicks’ trade: “I’m not a big fan of Porzingis. He plays no defense. He wants to play forward but he can’t guard forwards. He needs to play center. I’m surprised they had to give up Hardaway. I’m not convinced about Dennis Smith. Wes Mathews doesn’t have much left in the tank. Nowitzki can shoot like he always did.” James Harden has now scored 30+ points for 24 games in a row. “You can’t guard him. You get up on him, he goes by. If not, he makes the three. He’s in another world.” Coach is “not a fan of Boogie Cousins. But his coming back to the Warriors is probably a good thing for them.”

Joe Girard reached the 4,000 points level in high school scoring. Surprisingly that’s not near the national record: they play a lot of games in Louisiana:
https://www.nfhs.org/RecordBook/Record-book-result.aspx?CategoryId=1133
It’s worrisome that the names who have scored 4,000 points doesn’t seem familiar. Most are players who played at a very low level of ball and did little or nothing in college. Here is Greg Procell’s story:
HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL; A Scorer's Mentality Lives On
I found nothing on Bruce Williams, at least not this one.
Bennie Fuller: Bennie Fuller needs our help « Rex Nelson's Southern Fried
Jackie Moreland did well after transferring to a smaller school: Jackie Moreland - Wikipedia
Todd Briley was a single-digit scorer for McNeese State:
Todd Briley College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Anders Broman dad pretty well at Winthrop: Anders Broman - Men's Basketball - Winthrop University Athletics
The only thing I could find about Harold Ray Strother was that he’s dead:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/75560053/harold-ray-strother
Kelly Coleman became a star at small college power Kentucky Wesleyan:
Kelly Coleman - The Draft Review
Troy House played junior college and small college ball:
http://wkcurrent.com/former-itm-basketball-player-hall-of-famebound-p983-71.htm
Derek Smith had a distinguished career at Louisville:
Derek Smith College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Bobby Joe Douglas was a single-digit scorer for Louisiana-Monroe:
Bobby Joe Douglas College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Jim Montgomery played for one season for Auburn:
Jimmy Montgomery College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Mike Waters was recently asked how good Girard was:
Syracuse recruit Joe Girard III can score, but how good is he? (Mike's Mailbox)

Jim said that Girard is “a tough kid, a fierce competitor. He isn’t rated high because he didn’t play during the summer”. That contrasts the information in the Waters article.

Gomez asked what the weather was like in Boston. “It wasn’t too bad. The temperature was in the 20’s. When I was in school it would be minus 20 and I’d walk nearly a mile to school. Nothing was ever cancelled.” When I hear a story like that I feel like saying “Oh, was that you? I passed you every day because I lived farther out and was walking faster.”

There had been a discussion on ESPN about the toughest places to play. Seth Greenburg had chosen the Conte Forum because they also played hockey there and the floor was always cold. Jim likes playing there because there are always a lot of Syracuse fans and the place is “mostly orange. Louie Carnesecca once said he didn’t want to play where they have a lot of good players. There are a lot of tough players in our league. Smaller places are always tough.”

Gomez brought back the discussion of movies from last week. Danny Schayes told him that he’d once appeared in a movie with Whoopi Goldberg, “Eddie” and he’d just gotten a royalty check for $8.16. Jim said that he’d just gotten a larger than normal check for his appearance in Blue Chips: $27.00. There’s a higher rate when the movies turns up on free TV than pay TV. (Why? It’s free.) “Some of mine have bene in that neighborhood, ($8.16). Sean McDonough grew up with Matt Damon. They were having lunch together and Sean wanted to pay the check. Matt told him he’d just gotten a royalty check from one his Bourne movies for its showing in a couple of European countries: $457,000. So he paid the check. Matt’s father and brother went to SU. Has he been to any games at the Dome? Jim didn’t think so. But “a guy from NCIS went to BC and has been to a couple of games”. I think he means Chris O’Donnell.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on Dion Sanders. JB loves the 30 for 30 series. “He was really good. He and Bo Jackson are the modern two sport athletes.” This produced a list of two sport guys they could think of: Charlie Ward, Brian Jordan, “an all-star in both”, Tony Gwynn, Jackie Robinson, Jim Brown, who played basketball, football and lacrosse. Gomez thought he’d come here on a lacrosse scholarship and walked on for football. Jim told the true story of Judge Kenny Malloy who paid his tuition for him because he wanted Jim to go to Syracuse, where Kenny’s son Jaime became the goalie for the lacrosse team. Then he remembered Oregon State’s Terry Baker who played in both the Rose Bowl and the Final Four. Gomez said that Adam terry, the color man for SU’s football broadcasts was a teammate of Dion’s when he quit football. Dion said his teammates could have whatever they wanted out of his locker and Adam has his last pair of cleats.

On the Super Bowl: “I’m a Patriots fan. I’ve got to go with the old coach and the old quarterback. I think they’ve got one left. They will have just enough.” Matt said that this is the oldest coach and quarterback combo in the Super Bowl vs. the youngest. JB: “I like football and the Patriots so I’ll be paying strict attention.” Gomez noted that Bill Belichick has been to 23% of all the Super Bowls that have been played while the Rams players have been to a total of 5.

Interesting story about Matt Damon - I met him in Budapest in late 2014 when he was there filming The Martian. He was staying at the Four Seasons there, and we had a close friend who took care of all the celebs who stayed there. Long story short, we got to watch the Patriots game with Matt the weekend he was in town. I had my Syracuse shirt on, and he immediately says “The Cuse!” when he sees me. He’s had several family members attend SU, and actually had a niece starting there the following year. He’s a huge Orange fan and we had a great conversation about the school and sports in general. Really great guy. Oh and yes, he picked up the tab for all of us that night too.

PART 2

There were two games on the TV screens: the SU women were playing Virginia, (they won 72-68 to improve to 17-4 and 6-2 in the conference) and a replay of Washington beating USC the night before. Jim predicted that Washington would win the replay. He also said they would win the Pac 12, which is “a weak conference”. It was acknowledged that SU’s basketball teams were 2-0 in Cameron Arena this year, quite an accomplishment. The women have attempted 600 three point shots and made 32%, (the men have attempted 514 and made 33%). “That’s almost like 50% from two. When they get going, they can beat anybody. “(So can the men!)

Louisville “is pounding people, really shocking scores. They are really, really good. They completely changed everything. Everybody is contributing.” Miami “lost three guys. They’d be among the top 5 teams in the league with those guys.” Clemson is “snake bit. Their best player missed a free throw and the other team hit a 30 footer.” North Carolina State “hung around vs. Virginia. They did a great job defensively and hit a couple.” Tennessee “is undersized but they have veteran players and are very physical. They should have lost at Vanderbilt but they got a ridiculous 4 point play.” Villanova: “Jay has just gone with veteran guys. He isn’t playing the freshmen any more. They have two guys who get 20 points a game each, (Phil Booth and Eric Paschall). They don’t get assists- they just put it one guy’s hands and go. They got 15 treys in the last game and 17 in the one before that.” Marquette is 19-3 and “really good. The Houser twins are both 6-8/6-9 and can shoot form outside. Markus Howard shoots from way out. They have a lot of weapons.”

On the Knicks’ trade: “I’m not a big fan of Porzingis. He plays no defense. He wants to play forward but he can’t guard forwards. He needs to play center. I’m surprised they had to give up Hardaway. I’m not convinced about Dennis Smith. Wes Mathews doesn’t have much left in the tank. Nowitzki can shoot like he always did.” James Harden has now scored 30+ points for 24 games in a row. “You can’t guard him. You get up on him, he goes by. If not, he makes the three. He’s in another world.” Coach is “not a fan of Boogie Cousins. But his coming back to the Warriors is probably a good thing for them.”

Joe Girard reached the 4,000 points level in high school scoring. Surprisingly that’s not near the national record: they play a lot of games in Louisiana:
https://www.nfhs.org/RecordBook/Record-book-result.aspx?CategoryId=1133
It’s worrisome that the names who have scored 4,000 points doesn’t seem familiar. Most are players who played at a very low level of ball and did little or nothing in college. Here is Greg Procell’s story:
HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL; A Scorer's Mentality Lives On
I found nothing on Bruce Williams, at least not this one.
Bennie Fuller: Bennie Fuller needs our help « Rex Nelson's Southern Fried
Jackie Moreland did well after transferring to a smaller school: Jackie Moreland - Wikipedia
Todd Briley was a single-digit scorer for McNeese State:
Todd Briley College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Anders Broman dad pretty well at Winthrop: Anders Broman - Men's Basketball - Winthrop University Athletics
The only thing I could find about Harold Ray Strother was that he’s dead:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/75560053/harold-ray-strother
Kelly Coleman became a star at small college power Kentucky Wesleyan:
Kelly Coleman - The Draft Review
Troy House played junior college and small college ball:
http://wkcurrent.com/former-itm-basketball-player-hall-of-famebound-p983-71.htm
Derek Smith had a distinguished career at Louisville:
Derek Smith College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Bobby Joe Douglas was a single-digit scorer for Louisiana-Monroe:
Bobby Joe Douglas College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
Jim Montgomery played for one season for Auburn:
Jimmy Montgomery College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Mike Waters was recently asked how good Girard was:
Syracuse recruit Joe Girard III can score, but how good is he? (Mike's Mailbox)

Jim said that Girard is “a tough kid, a fierce competitor. He isn’t rated high because he didn’t play during the summer”. That contrasts the information in the Waters article.

Gomez asked what the weather was like in Boston. “It wasn’t too bad. The temperature was in the 20’s. When I was in school it would be minus 20 and I’d walk nearly a mile to school. Nothing was ever cancelled.” When I hear a story like that I feel like saying “Oh, was that you? I passed you every day because I lived farther out and was walking faster.”

There had been a discussion on ESPN about the toughest places to play. Seth Greenburg had chosen the Conte Forum because they also played hockey there and the floor was always cold. Jim likes playing there because there are always a lot of Syracuse fans and the place is “mostly orange. Louie Carnesecca once said he didn’t want to play where they have a lot of good players. There are a lot of tough players in our league. Smaller places are always tough.”

Gomez brought back the discussion of movies from last week. Danny Schayes told him that he’d once appeared in a movie with Whoopi Goldberg, “Eddie” and he’d just gotten a royalty check for $8.16. Jim said that he’d just gotten a larger than normal check for his appearance in Blue Chips: $27.00. There’s a higher rate when the movies turns up on free TV than pay TV. (Why? It’s free.) “Some of mine have bene in that neighborhood, ($8.16). Sean McDonough grew up with Matt Damon. They were having lunch together and Sean wanted to pay the check. Matt told him he’d just gotten a royalty check from one his Bourne movies for its showing in a couple of European countries: $457,000. So he paid the check. Matt’s father and brother went to SU. Has he been to any games at the Dome? Jim didn’t think so. But “a guy from NCIS went to BC and has been to a couple of games”. I think he means Chris O’Donnell.

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on Dion Sanders. JB loves the 30 for 30 series. “He was really good. He and Bo Jackson are the modern two sport athletes.” This produced a list of two sport guys they could think of: Charlie Ward, Brian Jordan, “an all-star in both”, Tony Gwynn, Jackie Robinson, Jim Brown, who played basketball, football and lacrosse. Gomez thought he’d come here on a lacrosse scholarship and walked on for football. Jim told the true story of Judge Kenny Malloy who paid his tuition for him because he wanted Jim to go to Syracuse, where Kenny’s son Jaime became the goalie for the lacrosse team. Then he remembered Oregon State’s Terry Baker who played in both the Rose Bowl and the Final Four. Gomez said that Adam terry, the color man for SU’s football broadcasts was a teammate of Dion’s when he quit football. Dion said his teammates could have whatever they wanted out of his locker and Adam has his last pair of cleats.

On the Super Bowl: “I’m a Patriots fan. I’ve got to go with the old coach and the old quarterback. I think they’ve got one left. They will have just enough.” Matt said that this is the oldest coach and quarterback combo in the Super Bowl vs. the youngest. JB: “I like football and the Patriots so I’ll be paying strict attention.” Gomez noted that Bill Belichick has been to 23% of all the Super Bowls that have been played while the Rams players have been to a total of 5.
Jackie Robinson and Jim Brown were both four sports stars in college.

Robinson--baseball, basketball, football, and track. He led the Pacific basketball conference (or whatever it was called then) in scoring 2 years in a row.

Brown was football, basketball, lacrosse, and track. The oft-repeated story was that he quit the hoops team mid-season his senior year because his playing time was limited due to the unspoken rule on use of black players at the time. If true, that would be a shame, as SU, without Big Jim gave UNC a tough game in the East Regionals that year. The Tar Heels completed their undefeated season by beating Kansas and Wilt Chamberlain in the final. How legendary would it have been for Jim and Wilt to be competing on the same court?

As an aside, the NYTimes had a special Jackie Robinson section in their hard-copy paper on Thursday, Robinson's 100th birthday. They went through their archives and found many pictures that had never been published. Also, some details of his life that were new to me. Worth your time.

i was under the impression from earlier shows that our early struggles were due to tyus battle forced to play PG. seems the winds have shifted and he's a good fit there now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom