The Jim Boeheim Show (12/6/18) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (12/6/18)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, during a recent game I was among a group of fans watching you as you talked to Paschal Chukwu on the bench after you’d pulled him. We had a discussion about what transgressions were most likely to cause a player to be pulled and educated. There was a suggestion that it’s most likely to be a defensive lapse and maybe that’s why we seem to better on defense than offense. So my question is: what are you most likely to pull a player out of a game for doing – or not doing?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Regarding the Northeastern game: “We moved the ball well against their zone. Against Oregon we didn’t move the ball and settled for outside shots. Northeastern didn’t have a shot blocker so we went inside. Oshae did a great job. He’s a mismatch against a zone because they can’t put a body on him. He understands now where he’s best suited to play. We got 2 points from both guards and won by 23, so I guess that’s a good sign. We had 20 assists because we were moving the ball against a zone. We use dribble dives against a man for man and don’t get the assists. We’re getting better. It’s slow process because of the injuries.”

Frank Howard is controlling what he can. He’s making good decisions. He’s had 3 turnovers in 100 minutes. His defense is good. He’s got to get his legs back. Tyus had three great games in a row. He got off to a bad start in this one and was out of sorts…Northeastern had three guys out but one guy wasn’t a starter. They are a deep team and a good offensive team. They just didn’t make shots in the second half…I thought Jordan Roland was going to score 30 points but we started to defend him closely and later, when he got open shots, he missed them. He works out in our gym all summer and he plays summer ball with Jimmy and Buddy. “

On the Cornell game: “We had a 15 point lead, then had 5 bad possessions in a row. Morgan made shots only Steph Curry can make. He’s had 9, 10 and 14 points against us in his first three years, now 26. He got a wide open shot and a guy like that gets going. …It’s tough coaching against your son. It was an emotional night. It was good to see both Jimmy and Buddy on the court. It’s good we got out of it with a win.”

On the next opponent: Georgetown: “This is a really good Georgetown team, much better in the backcourt and also in the front court. Govan is as good an inside player as we’ll see this year. ….Patrick Ewing won 15 games last year. Louis Orr is with them. They have really good young guards. They are headed in the right direction. Pat is doing a good job- I’m glad we don’t have to play against him….Last year we were down most of the game. Tyus made some monster shots and then the one that won the game.”

One Washington’s near upset of #1 Gonzaga: “Gonzaga had control. Washington hung around using their zone- the same zone we play. Gonzaga was up by 8 points with 4 minutes to play. They could have held the ball for a last shot with 30 seconds left but missed two layups. They got it back and with 9 seconds left. Rui Hachimura made a turn-around jumper. Washington might have won it in overtime as Gonzaga’s best shooter was out of the game. Washington will make the tournament. They had 2-3 seniors and a couple of sophomores who are playing very well. I sent a text to Coach Hopkins – at about 1:30 in the morning.”

On Buffalo, our highest ranked remaining pre-conference team, Matt Park said: “They got a big win in Belfast over San Francisco then perhaps understandably, they sleepwalked through the first half against LeMoyne, then blew them out.”

In the ACC: “Pittsburgh and NC State are surprise teams. North Carolina will be good. They are working some freshmen into the line-up. They will be a force in the league at the end of the year. Duke and Virginia are on a high level. I predict Virginia will make it to the Final Four this year. They lost De’Andre Hunter just before the tournament last year and their guards are better this year. The top teams in the country are Duke, Virginia Gonzaga, Michigan, Michigan State and Kansas. I don’t think Kentucky will make it. Florida State is coming on. Gonzaga has 4-5 seniors and they are getting their best big man (Killian Tillie) back. Hachimura is their best player but Tillie is their best big man.”

Matt pointed out that we will play four coaches who were coach of the year in their league last year: Ohio State’s Chris Holtmann who has done it three times, Colgate’s Matt Langel, Northeastern’s Bill Coen and Buffalo’s Nate Oats.

I called in my question. Jim said that if he’s talking to a center it’s likely to be about defense, unless it’s about offensive rebounding and getting good positon. “With the other guys, it can be anything: make better passes, better decisions, etc. we coach both ends of the court and equal amount of time. We need out offense and defense to be balanced and we want to be good at both ends. Each guy has a positon coach who talks to them all the time at practice and during games.”

Dan in Syracuse called in to say that he won’t be at the game but “I hope they win.” JB: “Thanks.”

A woman named Tetra or Petra from Denver called in saying that an SU fan named Don Bucholtz is the love of her life and she wondered if he could give Don a “shout out”. Jim did better than that saying “Anytime you decide you want to go to a game, let me know and we’ll get you here.

They got a piece of news- that Andre Szmyt, the kicker for the football team, had won the Lou Groza award as the nation’s outstanding kicker. JB: “Wow. He’s some kicker.” MP: “The day before the season began I barely knew who he was, much less that he would play. “ JB: “It’s so valuable to have a guy like that. Special teams was a big key to our unbelievable season. Any season where you win 2-3 more game than anyone expected in unbelievable.” Coach Boeheim’s favorite exclamation is “unbelievable”. Coach Baber’s favorite is “fantastic”. Both apply to this year’s football season. They again discussed the failure of the ACC coaches to vote Babers coach of the year. “Picked last and you finish second – you should get the award.” Coach Babers will speak at halftime of the Georgetown game and players from the football team will sign autographs in the backcourt area.

Regarding what Matt called the “disturbance in the stands” before the Northeastern game, JB: “We knew it was medical. I told them we need to wait. I think they saved the guy’s life. If he hadn’t been at the game there would have been nobody there for him.”

They talked about the proposal for the ACC to go to a 20 game season, as the Big Ten has done, (thus they are already playing conference games). “We started just playing 16 games and could play 2-3 really good non-conference opponents. Then we had 18 games and had to cut it to 1 or 2. Now it’s up to 20 and we still have a tournament. We’ve got to have balance: how many tough games do you want to play? It can be tough if you have a really young team. Some teams are 8-1, 7-0, 9-1 but they haven’t played anybody. I think if you can win in your league you ought to be in the tournament. If there’s one game we would continue to play it would be Georgetown due to the history. We also recruit in that area and have a lot of alumni down there. We play in New York City every year anyway. Our schedule is as good as we want it to be. “

Matt: You want to play your best ball in March. JB: “We aren’t there – it will take a while. We’re working individually with each player to get them better and then we work on coordinating their efforts.” Matt noted that Elijah Hughes had not played a lot of college ball before this year. He was hurt much of the time at East Carolina and then had to sit out a year under the transfer rule. “He only averaged about eight points a game at East Carolina but you’d have your eye on him a long time before that. “ JB: “He scored 20 and 27 in his last two games against Cincinnati and Connecticut or maybe it was South Florida”. Nope:
Elijah Hughes

“Good players can score. it doesn’t matter what the defense does. The key for us is getting our big men to do more on defense. Paschal has a groin injury and Bourama is coming off of knee surgery. When they get back that extra step, it will make a difference.”

I hope that they don't go to a 20 game conference season. I don't like the fact that Big Ten teams are playing conference games at the beginning of December. I think the teams need a preseason to get it together before the conference season starts, jumping directly into the conference season kind of devalues its importance in my mind.

I hope that they don't go to a 20 game conference season. I don't like the fact that Big Ten teams are playing conference games at the beginning of December. I think the teams need a preseason to get it together before the conference season starts, jumping directly into the conference season kind of devalues its importance in my mind.

It's actually already official they are going to 20. Definitely some advantages and disadvantages

ACC basketball will go to 20-game conference schedule in 2019 when ACC Network launches

Couple of points...

He understands now where he’s best suited to play.

I found this quote very interesting because, after the Oregon game, JB said that he had no problem with OB taking 12 shots and having 75% of them be 3s. He added that he thought they were all good shots and that OB makes those shots in practice. I think this quote illustrates that, perhaps, JB's words did not match how he felt about OB's shot attempts during the Oregon game.

This then brings me to my next point. There are times when JB is brutally candid about how he felt individual players performed and times when he seems to keep it to himself and his words portray a different picture. This seems to be one off those times. If he felt that OB taking 9 3s was, in fact, not in the team's best interest, why not just say so?

We got 2 points from both guards and won by 23, so I guess that’s a good sign.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. We have so many more options this year. Last year, if FH and TB were a combined 2-12 (0-7), this is probably a 5 point game.

We had 20 assists because we were moving the ball against a zone. We use dribble dives against a man for man and don’t get the assists.

Well, there you go. Like it or hate our MTM O is based upon dribble penetration. I think that Tuessday's game clearly shows that our guys do, in fact, know how to both move the ball and move without the ball but that is not our MTM offense.

Frank Howard is controlling what he can. He’s making good decisions. He’s had 3 turnovers in 100 minutes. His defense is good. He’s got to get his legs back.

Matt noted that Elijah Hughes had not played a lot of college ball before this year. He was hurt much of the time at East Carolina and then had to sit out a year under the transfer rule.

The key for us is getting our big men to do more on defense. Paschal has a groin injury and Bourama is coming off of knee surgery. When they get back that extra step, it will make a difference.”

And this is why I, for one, am so bullish on this team. EH sat out an entire year and was injured before that.

FH was hurt and is working his way back.

JC was hurt and is working his way in.

OS was hurt most of last year and is still not 100%

PC is hurt and not 100%.

This team was an elite defensive team last year and I think we can back there.

So many guys either hurt, working their way into the team or combination thereof.

Options at every position. We can play small ball with MD in the middle. We can press. We have multiple shooters and multiple drivers. If our main guys are off, others have the ability to step up and pick up the slack in a big way.

I truly think this team is just starting to scratch the surface and has the potential to be SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER in March than it is today.

Who is in charge of strength and conditioning for the basketball team?

Thanks as always. Sounds like he’s given up on the Centers for offense. Wants to get them better on Defense. Obviously important but still, dicey.

Regarding what Matt called the “disturbance in the stands” before the Northeastern game, JB: “We knew it was medical. I told them we need to wait. I think they saved the guy’s life. If he hadn’t been at the game there would have been nobody there for him.”

So the moral of the story here kids, go to Syracuse basketball games or else you might die.

So the moral of the story here kids, go to Syracuse basketball games or else you might die.

This then brings me to my next point. There are times when JB is brutally candid about how he felt individual players performed and times when he seems to keep it to himself and his words portray a different picture. This seems to be one off those times. If he felt that OB taking 9 3s was, in fact, not in the team's best interest, why not just say so?
JB's a contrarian. If you ask a question in a way that indicates you think OB took too many threes, JB will tell you you're wrong. If you say the opposite, so will he.

JB is compassionate. He thought about that person as a human being who was alone. He may know more about the man than we do. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to discover that Coach reached out to him in some way.

JB is compassionate. He thought about that person as a human being who was alone. He may know more about the man than we do. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to discover that Coach reached out to him in some way.

Probably told Chukwu that he only had one more rebound than that guy at halftime!

Thanks as always. Sounds like he’s given up on the Centers for offense. Wants to get them better on Defense. Obviously important but still, dicey.

I have to be honest. This is the type of post that drives me nuts.

The only thing SWC mentions is defense. Nowhere in SWC's recap does JB state, or even imply, that he has given up on his centers for offense.

I think it should be pretty clear that PC is much more Keita and much less Xmas and it is also pretty clear that BS is both very rusty and not 100% but I think the jury is still out in terms of his ability to be productive on the offensive end once he gets fully healthy.

And what, exactly, is dicey about it?

JB's a contrarian. If you ask a question in a way that indicates you think OB took too many threes, JB will tell you you're wrong. If you say the opposite, so will he.

Yes, there is no question that there are times when JB will simply say the opposite of the what the question implies.

You can usually tell when that is occurring because he gets defensive and snarky.

The OB shooting response, in the aftermath off the Oregon, game was not one of those types of responses.

His tone was very matter-of-fact.

Given his propensity to periodically send messages to players via his press conferences (assuming that is what he is doing when he calls somebody out publicly like that), It makes me wonder why he didn't do so.

In this particular case, I don't think he was simply being a contrarian.

I would have thought that when your best inside presence spends the game hanging out on the perimeter jacking up threes, that would be a perfect opportunity to use the mic to send a message but JB chose not to.

Just found that interesting.

I have to be honest. This is the type of post that drives me nuts.

The only thing SWC mentions is defense. Nowhere in SWC's recap does JB state, or even imply, that he has given up on his centers for offense.

I think it should be pretty clear that PC is much more Keita and much less Xmas and it is also pretty clear that BS is both very rusty and not 100% but I think the jury is still out in terms of his ability to be productive on the offensive end once he gets fully healthy.

And what, exactly, is dicey about it?

Drives you nuts, huh? Fantastic. You have your beliefs and interpretation. I have mine. Carry on. Dicey is my feeling after said interpretation.

popcorn.jpg

Drives you nuts, huh? Fantastic. You have your beliefs and interpretation. I have mine. Carry on. Dicey is my feeling after said interpretation.
Fair enough but I think you are just taking the opportunity to take another shot at the 5s, and PC in particular.
God knows you've taken enough of them.

We get it. You don't like him. You don't think he's any good. You'll be happy when he's gone.

Carrying on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom