The Jim Boeheim Show - after Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - after Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Delmonico’s Italian Steakhouse on Erie Boulevard in Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com/radio/WGVA-1240-s29191/

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First hour:

Coach, freshmen often do well in the pre-conference season but then slump once conference play begins. That seems to have been the case with Tyler Lydon, who attempted one shot in 26 minutes against Virginia. But it doesn’t seem to be happening with Malachi Richardson, who has been playing very well. Why did they got in different direction and what can be done to get Tyler back in the flow of the offense?

Second hour:

Coach, in the Duke game. We got 26 offensive rebounds and Duke got 18 of them. In the Virginia game we got 9 offensive rebounds and Virginia had only 4. What makes a game the type that produces a lot of offensive rebounds while in another game there are very few? Is it something as simple as one player deciding he’s going to go after offensive rebounds and his teammates join him and then the other team decides they’d better do it, too?

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. They are now doing two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Matt asked about the problems getting to the Virginia game. JB: “We had a lot of energy. The travel didn’t hurt us….The decision making was tough. We didn’t want to go down Friday. It would have been rough then, too and we didn’t even know if the game would be played. If we had to stay over until Monday, they’d have thrown us out of our hotel. There would have been no practices. If it didn’t clear Sunday, we couldn’t have played. The reason we go down the day before is in case there is a delay.”

Matt pointed out that Virginia was 30-1 in ACC home games in the last 4 years. Jim wondered if they’d lost any non-conference games there in that span. Matt eventually came up with four of them. They are a tough team and it’s a tough place to play. JB: “They’ve been through the wars a lot together….We brought it back to a tie. Brogdon hit a big three and then a longer one. Perrantes made one. We just couldn’t get stops. They shot way too high a percentage. We made a lot of threes or it would have been a bigger margin the other way….The Virginia team got hot but then we had to cover inside. We have a long way to go but we’ve got to get better.”

Matt said that it was the third straight game where we hit double digit threes. Basically, we’ve got to do that to be successful. JB: “Mike’s back in his Bahamas style and Malachi is making his threes. We missed 6 lay-ups in the first half. If we’d made them our rally would have put us ahead instead of catching up. It’s just a shame we had to waste two great games by Michael and Malachi.”

I called in my first question about Mal and Tyler going in opposite directions in ACC play. Firs ti joked about Jim going against GMAC, whose regular Tuesday night show was on 97.7, wondering who will get the higher ratings. Jim said it would be Gerry, easily. Then I suggested that if travel to Virginia got really difficult, the team could have piled into Jim’s car, (they only go 6-7 deep), and he could drive them through the blizzard as he used to do when back when he played in the eastern League. “Those days are over” he laughed.

“Mal is an offensive player. He can get his own shot. He’s very offensive minded. Tyler is more well-rounded. He wasn’t guarded in the Bahamas. He’s not quite skilled enough to get around defenders and not quite strong enough to score over them. We aren’t going to run our offense through him when we have three good three point shooters. Our offense is about three point shots. In time he will be a very good offensive player, but it will take time.“ Matt joked “Tyler hasn’t been 6-9 for very long. JB: “He’s playing against guys who are 240-250 pounds, (they listed the weights of Virginia’s front line.) Tyler’s ahead of schedule. He’s making plays we really needed. He’s played great but he’s not a scorer.”

Regarding Malachi: “The opposition is putting their two best defenders on Michael and Trevor. Next year the best defender will be on him.” I wondered if that meant they weren’t guarding Tyler Lydon, just like they weren’t guarding him in the Bahamas.

Regarding Notre Dame and the likely absence of Demetrius Jackson: “We’ll see what happens and prepare for everybody. Who ever they play, we’ll be ready. Jackson was replaced by (Rex) Pfluger), who had a career high 11 points. He’s a good player and they have other guys who can shoot. Bonzie Colson had 31 points against Duke. They have plenty of weapons. That’s for sure….They said he was out so he’s probably out.” Gomez later asked if they have special drills in practice for particular situations. They do. Sometimes they drill 4 on 5 or 5 on 6 or bring the ball up against a press with 6 guys. They don’t practice length of the court plays or half court shots. JB prefers to draw them up in the game. The team part of the practices are ½ offense and ½ defense, (the other half is man for man) and then working with individual players.

They discussed the two “Techs”: Georgia and Virginia. The Yellow Jackets have lost ACC games by 8, 5, 8, 1 and 4 points. “Their schedule has been even more difficult than ours- those were the two toughest.” Virginia Tech has been winning the close ones: by 5, 2, 2 and 1. “All the games are close. Both Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech are playing very well.”

A caller, (sorry, didn’t get the name), wanted to know how long it takes Jim to sense how good his team is. JB: “Some teams have too many question marks- you can’t tell. When we had a lot of guys back and knew what Wes Johnson, Dion and Scoop Jardine were doing in practice we knew we’d be good, (in 2009-10- although Dion was a twinkle in Jim’s eye at that point). With Michael Carter- Williams and Brandon Triche we knew we’d be good the year we went to the Final Four. We knew we had a good team….A key injury or one guy not doing what we think he can do can make a difference. If Chris McCullough had stayed healthy last year, we would have been good by the end of the year.” (A fat lotta good that would have done us…) “A couple of years we’ve been really good. A couple of years we haven’t done quite as well as we expected. A lot of people thought we’d go 0-3 on this road trip and we went 2-1…. We had three tough games. We won two and played well in the third… You never know.” (That would be a good slogan for the lottery.)

John in Liverpool said that we always hear about how important getting good wins was to getting in the NCAA tournament- but this year everyone seems to have good wins. Jim agreed: “We’re fortunate that Texas A&M and Connecticut have continued to play well. Winning at Duke was good even if Duke isn’t as good as they normally are this year. It all depends on what we do the rest of the way. If we win and play well it will take care of itself.” (I vote for winning.) “Not too many teams have better non-conference wins than we do. Tough schedules mean you have opportunities to prove yourself. We had three tough road losses against Pittsburgh, Miami and Virginia. They showed that we are a good team.” (They also showed that Pittsburgh, Miami and Virginia were better teams.)

Brad in Camillus praised the team’s leader ship. JB: “It’s great to have two senior leaders but we also have good young players.”

Bob in Jupiter Florida told the coach how many SU fans there are in Eastern Florida. JB said he notices how many fans show up for games at South Florida and Florida State. . Bob wanted to know how good Notre Dame was. “They are a good offensive team but it will be good to get back home.”

Pat in Syracuse called in and praised the way Mike Gbinije attacks the basket at the end of games. Jim explained “At the end of games players are not going to foul on a drive.“ Pat praised the way we spread the court. JB: “We want to drive. That’s what we do. Mike had 5 dunks against Wake and 3-4 lay-ups against Duke. We go for three pointers, then penetrate and drive…..We’ve worked with him from day one on his shooting, driving and ball handling. Gerry McNamara has worked with him every day.”

Jim in Syracuse thinks the way Mike goes to the basket is “one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. And his soft touch is amazing.” We’ll leave that there…

Jim did suggest that Mike could improve his foul shooting by taking some golf instruction from JB. “His initial motion is a little stiff. He needs a waggle or something like that. “ JB: “His initial motion is stiff. But he’s most comfortable doing what he’s doing right now. We have to kind of let it go. Let the player have the feel on that.”

Dave gets annoyed when offensive fouls are called on drives to the basket. JB: “They tried to make it harder to get an offensive foul. They moved out the protected arc. It’s always a tough call. It’s better now.” Will Dave dress like Coach Boeheim Thursday night? “It would be an improvement.” He thought he might dress like Gomez. JB: “All you need is an 8 year old shirt.”

Jim was upset about the negative press about Mike Hopkins’ record as coach. JB: “I really haven’t seen that. You must be reading internet bloggers. They are not where to go for information. The players were used to me and had to adjust to Mike. When he takes over he’ll have his own style and philosophy. I might have lost those games too. People that know don’t see any problem with what’s happened.”

I called in my second question. The difference between a game like Duke, where there were 44 offensive rebounds and the Virginia game, where there were only 13 is “way more complex” than one guy deciding to go after offensive boards and the others guys following suite. “Duke is a pressure man=to-man team and they don’t block out… Against Duke we had great penetration. We were getting the ball on the basket and Tyler was right there….Virginia is a half court defensive team and they block out. Duke switched to a zone because they have too many young guys to play man to man. Virginia doesn’t go to the offensive boards. They get back to stop the fast break…Notre Dame is different. They are an offensive team. Virginia is a defensive team that can play offense. “

The 1975 Final Four team will be recognized at the Georgia Tech game. Even Coach Danforth will be there. “That was totally unexpected, a great odyssey. We got to see Coach Wooden’s last win….We had a great game against LaSalle. Joe Bryant, Kobe’s father had an unguarded lay-up and just missed it. We were 15 point under-dogs vs. North Carolina. It was totally unexpected. The airport was a mob scene. San Diego was beautiful”.

There will be a dress like Jim Boeheim contest at halftime of the Notre Dame game. One guy is looking for a 1986 picture of Coach Boeheim and wants to get him to autograph it so the result can be tattooed onto his arm. JB said he would co-operate. I think an intervention might be more appropriate.

We know the deal with Thompson... just wish someone would call and ask if they might be pursuing any 5th year transfers to provide much needed backcourt depth next year. That situation is even more precarious than the frontcourt if you ask me.

We know the deal with Thompson... just wish someone would call and ask if they might be pursuing any 5th year transfers to provide much needed backcourt depth next year. That situation is even more precarious than the frontcourt if you ask me.

Why not you?

Always thanks for sharing these. Gems. Your sense of humor/sarcasm gets better and better like an aging wine, scotch, or bourbon.

It's good to know I'm not a fruitcake.

"We were 15 point under-dogs vs. North Carolina. It was totally unexpected. The airport was a mob scene. San Diego was beautiful”.

It sure was a mob scene; I was there.

"We were 15 point under-dogs vs. North Carolina. It was totally unexpected. The airport was a mob scene. San Diego was beautiful”.

It sure was a mob scene; I was there.

So was I.

PART 2

David Blatt was fired with a 30-11 record: “Nobody’s safe in coaching…From the inside view it looks like they were not together as a team the way you’d like them to be together. Cleveland didn’t feel they had the chemistry. Another coach might not be able to get them together. The pieces might not fit together. They don’t have exactly the right parts. LeBron needs t ball. Kyrie needs the ball. The Spurs, Oklahoma City and the Clippers might be better. They’ll win 55-60 games and the East but I don’t think they’ll beat anybody from the West….There’s a difference between winning games and winning championships.“

Greg Popovich joked he was glad the GM wasn’t in the locker room for he’d get fired. JB: “When Steph Curry gets going there’s not much you can do. They have other great players and great team chemistry. Nobody saw this, (the excellence of Curry and the Warriors) coming. We had him at the World Championships in Japan. He was so thin he got beat up. He got stronger and in Spain he was much stronger. He still didn’t shoot great, (Klay Thompson was better), but he worked hard every day and got better every year. Golden State will be here a while.”

Jim said he saw the Warriors crush the Spurs but he “went to bed when Curry had 34 points. He was making shots 5-8 feet behind the line. He gets rebounds and assists. Iguodala was the #1 player coming out of high school. He had injuries. Festus is pretty good. They have really good players that don’t get in. Their second group could beat most teams. They have the best guards and Green might be the best power forward. They have two adequate centers. Thompson is a great shooters and a defensive player. These guys aren’t old. They’ve got another 10 years, at last 6 more at their peak.”

Regarding Blake Griffin’s misadventure, Gomez suggested that “you don’t have to deal with that in college. Jim: “You have some….They are good friends and will get over it. The thing is: don’t punch somebody… It’s not smart. You don’t want to hit people. Grab somebody. Don’t use your fists.” The Clippers are 11-3 without him. “It’s deceptive. The schedule was favorable.”

The Miami Heat have a standing offer for Ray Allen, who hasn’t played for over a year. “He’s a good fitness guy but I doubt he’s in shape for pro basketball. He’s a scratch golfer and probably would rather be doing that.”

Shaquille O’Neal has said “LSU paid and paid me very well.” Matt asked if there was a ‘statute of limitations’: Would the NCAA investigate? JB: “It was a long time ago. I wonder why somebody would ever say that. Shaq says what’s on his mind most of the time.” (Pot calling the kettle black?)

The Super Bowl “Looks pretty good. The Patriots are my team but it would be nice to see Peyton Manning go out with a win. I met him recruiting a basketball player at his high school. Years later I saw on a street corner in Indianapolis and he called out to me. He’s big college basketball fan and a great guy.” Peyton went to Isidore Newman High in New Orleans. I thought of David Patrick but he went to a different high school:
http://www.orangehoops.org/dpatrick.htm
I think Jim was recruiting this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Livingston

“Obviously, Carolina is a very good team. But Denver’s defense has been great. Maybe Peyton has one more great game in us. But making the Super Bowl in his least year is great in itself.“ But losing it would not be a good memory to close on.

The SU football schedule “looks pretty hard. There’ll be some tough games. UCONN on the road and they were the only team to beat Houston. Notre Dame in Met Life again. There are 9 teams that made a bowl and Colgate made the FCS playoffs. They had their best team since 2003.”

Jim Harbaugh landed a recruit by climbing a tree:
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-wolverines-following-jim-harbaugh-home-visit
JB: “Coaches will do crazy stuff but I don’t recall doing something like that…Chances are the kid would have gone anyway. You would hope it’s not based on climbing a tree.” Gomez suggested Coach could “take a kid mini-golfing” but coach said he couldn’t do that under NCAA rules.

Wisconsin was playing Indiana on TV, (and would beat them in overtime). Thomas Bryant was having a good game, (16 points 7 rebounds but 5 turnovers and 5 fouls). “He’s getting better. He’s still thin but a very good player.” Could he be a one and doner? “You just don’t know what’s going on with the draft. Players are all going in the first round. It will be 30 guys, mostly under classmen….Wisconsin has lost a lot of close games. A couple of guys left early. You’re never quite prepared for that.”

Oklahoma was beating Texas Tech by 30. “They’re really good, with many veterans. They are the most likely Final Four team. Buddy Hield is my pick for Player of the Year. He’s really good. “

Abe Vigoda died and they are sure this time. Jim remembered him. “I like to watch the Oscars to see who is gone. “ (I like to watch to see who wins.)

Ringo Starr will be playing Turning Stone. Will Jim go to see him? “Probably not. But he’ll probably bring people in.”

Jim hasn’t been to a Crunch game in a couple of years. “Things are pretty hectic this time of year”.

Jim likes Roger Federer but feels Novak Djokovic is “too strong” for him. And said “Serena is mentally strong. ” He’s surprised at the allegations of match fixing. “Who knows? You hope it doesn’t happen. It would have to be at the lower levels. There’s too much money at the big level.”

Daryl in Clay thanked Jim for spending time with his child, who apparently had been sick. “he’s picked up a basketball again.” JB: “It’s good to be involved in sports.”

Gomez asked what Jim thought of Charlottesville. “It’s supposed to be nice. I just go there for the basketball.” Would he consider retiring to a place like that? “Why would I go there? I’d either stay or go where it’s warmer. This, (Syracuse), is the best place to be for 8 months. I might go someplace warm for a couple of months after New Year’s. It won’t be for 5-6 months. I don’t need to play golf all year around. I like it here.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom