The Jim Boeheim Show, before Boston College | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show, before Boston College

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from the Cavalier Room at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question!
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: WGVA

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, last week you said that one of the reasons we do well against zones but poorly against man for man defenses is that we have a lot of stationary jump shooters who can get their shots off more easily against a zone. Andrew White played in the Big Ten last year and must have seen a lot of man for man defenses. He shot 41% from three point range and scored 16.6 points per game. This year, in our losses, which have tended to be again man to man defenses, he’s averaging he’s averaging 29% from the arc and 10 points a game. What was Nebraska able to do to get him open looks?”

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.) –

(It’s still an hour show at this point.)

Coach said he hasn’t “seen great improvement in the team but there’s been some progress. It’s hard to fit the new guys in and get all of our offense and defense in. We’ve managed to overpower the weaker teams. We haven’t been good enough on defense. We have to move the ball better. It’s more fun when we’re winning. Of the teams we’ve lost to only Wisconsin has really been a better team. We had a really bad game against St. John’s but you have to put that in the past. We are making strides …We got some stuff inside a little better but they are small. We’ve adjusted things, using more ball screens and inside out. We’ve done some of those things in other games, even the losses. Our defense has been good at times. We thought we’d have Paschal. He’s blocked 2 shots a game and he was only playing 10 minutes. Losing him was like when we lost Chris McCullough. It’s tough to lose a really good player early in the year.” (I’m not sure how direct that comparison was intended to be.) “One year we were down to 6 players and two of them had stress fractures.” (2007-08)

Matt suggested that they are into “two-a-days”. Coach said they are really only practicing one more hour a day and not scrimmaging any more than usual. “We are spending more time on detailed stuff. We’ve changed a couple of things and I hope they will fully work out.”

I called in my question about what Nebraska was doing to get Andrew White open looks. “They mostly did the dribble drive and kick-out to him for open shots. They had a couple of good, penetrating guards. We set many more screens. He’s getting great shots on the wings and we’ll keep getting him shots. Only in the St. John’s game didn’t he get shots. They were all over him….Our offense hasn’t been good enough in the losses and our defense hasn’t been much better. We’ve lost to some good teams and some teams that aren’t good. We have to play better….We need 3-4 guys who can score. It’s not just one guy. …We have the numbers of a 12-1 team, (he quoted shooting percentages). We’re 22nd in the country in defensive field goal percentage. Monmouth and Cornell are pretty good shooting teams and they didn’t shoot well against us. The numbers bear false witness to what we are going.” (I think he was searching for the term “false positive”.)

“Tyus Battle got some good passes and he converted. He’s a typical freshman – learning when to go and improving on defense. We have a sophomore point guard who hardly played last year and another guy who is new to our offense. We’re bringing along the new guys and need help from the veterans, too.

Liam in Pompey noted that BC had beaten Providence and wondered how good they are. JB: “BC beat Auburn and crushed Providence. They are capable just like everybody else in the conference. We have to get a whole lot better.” Matt said that BC had lost to Fairfield and at Harvard but had “beaten up” on Providence. (They won that game 79-67) JB: “They’re playing good right now and that’s who we have to play. We are worried about every team we play- trust me.”

Chris from Lafayette wondered by Tyler Roberson plays less than DaJuan Coleman. JB: “Actually, he plays more. Neither has been as productive as we’d like to see. Hopefully they can become more productive very soon. Tyler is not doing the things he used to do. He used to do bad things and good things. Now he isn’t having the good moments. He did have a good first half vs. Cornell but then disappeared in the second half. He’s going to play in every game and we need him and DaJuan to play better.”

Matt asked about Taurean Thompson. JB: “He’s a good offensive player, excellent around the basket and a good passer. He’s a gifted offensive player.

Coach had watched Oregon beat UCLA “on two late, almost impossible threes”. He’s not sure about USC who is undefeated but struggle to beat Cornell and will play Oregon next. They also barely beat Troy. Who were the “Men of Troy” in that one? Coach did his annual marveling at the number of good teams in the country, saying that Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Oregon and UCLA seem to be the top teams. Villanova “showed some weakness” against DePaul and watch out for Creighton. And “there are about 10-15 very good teams behind them.”

They talked about Oregon’s sugar daddy, Phil Knight. JB: “Phil gives Oregon $3-400 million and gives Stanford $200 million and he gave $100 million to some other school he spoke at.” Matt has read that NIke makes $90 million a day. JB: “When I first met him, Phil was worth about $300 million and the stock has split four times since then. He made about $200 million out of Tiger Woods. When he signed Michael Jordan, Michael’s shoe made more money than the rest of the company. Now it’s years alter and Michael is still making millions off his shoes. “ (Why can’t we have a Phil Knight – is there something wrong with our curriculum?)

There’s going to be a new Nike sponsored basketball tournament next year hosted by Duke and North Carolina. Only two Nike schools per conference could be in it. “If we were still in the Big East, we would have been one of them”. As ye sow…

They discussed George Karl’s highly critical book which blasted Carmelo Anthony, among others. It’s called “Furious George”. Matt said that Karl is backtracking on some of the things he said in the book but Jim Boeheim will have none of it. Matt referred to Karl as a “friend in the coaching fraternity”. JB: I am not friends with George Karl. He’s a very cantankerous guy.” (Jim doesn’t like cantankerous guys.) “These are the guys who made you money. Denver was terrible before Carmelo went there and they made the playoffs every year. Coaches can have problems with some players but you don’t write a book and trash your former players. We should be thankful for the opportunity to coach them. I’d be a small town funeral director if I weren’t a basketball coach. I never wanted to write a book but I liked Jack McCallum and didn’t want to knock anybody and we didn’t, beyond a few funny stories. But he knocks Damian Lillard who he doesn’t even know and Terry Stotts, whom he gave his start. It makes no sense to me.

Should the Jags hired Tom Coughlin? Jim says yes. “He knows what he’s doing. He still has a home down there. The key in the NFL is to hire great assistant coaches. If you hire young assistants, you don’t know what you are getting. They might be great but you don’t know. Matt suggested Tom could hire Doug Marrone and ‘mentor’ him. Jim thought that was a great idea. “Doug’s a good football coach. it could be a good situation.”

Miami will be the opponent Wednesday and they’ve won 6 in a row. “Miami lost Angel Rodriguez but they’ve got some good guys back. They have a very good team with good inside play. They’ll be playing NC State who has been playing really well, too. It’s a tough, tough league.” As an example, Matt noted that Florida State, a ranked team in their own right, plays Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Louisville in consecutive games. Of those, only Virginia Tech isn’t ranked. Virginia “smacked around” Louisville. Matt said “Virginia squeezes the life out of you.” JB: Nothing is easy. They’ll defend every play, make you miss and get the rebound. They’ll wear you down. No team gets Louisville down by 20 at home and makes it look easy.”

Coach said “We have to play better and tougher.” And he left at 7:54 – Jamesville-DeWitt, for which his son plays, had a game at 8:15, although that was not announced as a reason.

Pat, who almost always calls the show and had a bad experience last week, did not call into this week’s show.

Last edited:
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from the Cavalier Room at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question!
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: WGVA

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, last week you said that one of the reasons we do well against zones but poorly against man for man defenses is that we have a lot of stationary jump shooters who can get their shots off more easily against a zone. Andrew White played in the Big Ten last year and must have seen a lot of man for man defenses. He shot 41% from three point range and scored 16.6 points per game. This year, in our losses, which have tended to be again man to man defenses, he’s averaging he’s averaging 29% from the arc and 10 points a game. What was Nebraska able to do to get him open looks?”

COACH BOEHEIM

(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.) –

(It’s still an hour show at this point.)

Coach said he hasn’t “seen great improvement in the team but there’s been some progress. It’s hard to fit the new guys in and get all of our offense and defense in. We’ve managed to overpower the weaker teams. We haven’t been good enough on defense. We have to move the ball better. It’s more fun when we’re winning. Of the teams we’ve lost to only Wisconsin has really been a better team. We had a really bad game against St. John’s but you have to put that in the past. We are making strides …We got some stuff inside a little better but they are small. We’ve adjusted things, using more ball screens and inside out. We’ve done some of those things in other games, even the losses. Our defense has been good at times. We thought we’d have Paschal. He’s blocked 2 shots a game and he was only playing 10 minutes. Losing him was like when we lost Chris McCullough. It’s tough to lose a really good player early in the year.” (I’m not sure how direct that comparison was intended to be.) “One year we were down to 6 players and two of them had stress fractures.” (2007-08)

Matt suggested that they are into “two-a-days”. Coach said they are really only practicing one more hour a day and not scrimmaging any more than usual. “We are spending more time on detailed stuff. We’ve changed a couple of things and I hope they will fully work out.”

I called in my question about what Nebraska was doing to get Andrew White open looks. “They mostly did the dribble drive and kick-out to him for open shots. They had a couple of good, penetrating guards. We set many more screens. He’s getting great shots on the wings and we’ll keep getting him shots. Only in the St. John’s game didn’t he get shots. They were all over him….Our offense hasn’t been good enough in the losses and our defense hasn’t been much better. We’ve lost to some good teams and some teams that aren’t good. We have to play better….We need 3-4 guys who can score. It’s not just one guy. …We have the numbers of a 12-1 team, (he quoted shooting percentages). We’re 22nd in the country in defensive field goal percentage. Monmouth and Cornell are pretty good shooting teams and they didn’t shoot well against us. The numbers bear false witness to what we are going.” (I think he was searching for the term “false positive”.)

“Tyus Battle got some good passes and he converted. He’s a typical freshman – learning when to go and improving on defense. We have a sophomore point guard who hardly played last year and another guy who is new to our offense. We’re bringing along the new guys and need help from the veterans, too.

Liam in Pompey noted that BC had beaten Providence and wondered how good they are. JB: “BC beat Auburn and crushed Providence. They are capable just like everybody else in the conference. We have to get a whole lot better.” Matt said that BC had lost to Fairfield and at Harvard but had “beaten up” on Providence. (They won that game 79-67) JB: “They’re playing good right now and that’s who we have to play. We are worried about every team we play- trust me.”

Chris from Lafayette wondered by Tyler Roberson plays less than DaJuan Coleman. JB: “Actually, he plays more. Neither has been as productive as we’d like to see. Hopefully they can become more productive very soon. Tyler is not doing the things he used to do. He used to do bad things and good things. Now he isn’t having the good moments. He did have a good first half vs. Cornell but then disappeared in the second half. He’s going to play in every game and we need him and DaJuan to play better.”

Matt asked about Taurean Thompson. JB: “He’s a good offensive player, excellent around the basket and a good passer. He’s a gifted offensive player.

Coach had watched Oregon beat UCLA “on two late, almost impossible threes”. He’s not sure about USC who is undefeated but struggle to beat Cornell and will play Oregon next. They also barely beat Troy. Who were the “Men of Troy” in that one? Coach did his annual marveling at the number of good teams in the country, saying that Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Oregon and UCLA seem to be the top teams. Villanova “showed some weakness” against DePaul and watch out for Creighton. And “there are about 10-15 very good teams behind them.”

They talked about Oregon’s sugar daddy, Phil Knight. JB: “Phil gives Oregon $3-400 million and gives Stanford $200 million and he gave $100 million to some other school he spoke at.” Matt has read that NIke makes $90 million a day. JB: “When I first met him, Phil was worth about $300 million and the stock has split four times since then. He made about $200 million out of Tiger Woods. When he signed Michael Jordan, Michael’s shoe made more money than the rest of the company. Now it’s years alter and Michael is still making millions off his shoes. “ (Why can’t we have a Phil Knight – is there something wrong with our curriculum?)

There’s going to be a new Nike sponsored basketball tournament next year hosted by Duke and North Carolina. Only two Nike schools per conference could be in it. “If we were still in the Big East, we would have been one of them”. As ye sow…

They discussed George Karl’s highly critical book which blasted Carmelo Anthony, among others. It’s called “Furious George”. Matt said that Karl is backtracking on some of the things he said in the book but Jim Boeheim will have none of it. Matt referred to Karl as a “friend in the coaching fraternity”. JB: I am not friends with George Karl. He’s a very cantankerous guy.” (Jim doesn’t like cantankerous guys.) “These are the guys who made you money. Denver was terrible before Carmelo went there and they made the playoffs every year. Coaches can have problems with some players but you don’t write a book and trash your former players. We should be thankful for the opportunity to coach them. I’d be a small town funeral director if I weren’t a basketball coach. I never wanted to write a book but I liked Jack McCallum and didn’t want to knock anybody and we didn’t, beyond a few funny stories. But he knocks Damian Lillard who he doesn’t even know and Terry Stotts, whom he gave his start. It makes no sense to me.

Should the Jags hired Tom Coughlin? Jim says yes. “He knows what he’s doing. He still ahs a home down there. The key in the NFL is to hire great assistant coaches. If you hire young assistants, you don’t know what you are getting. They might be great but you don’t know. Matt suggested Tom could hire Doug Marrone and ‘mentor’ him. Jim thought that was a great idea. “Doug’s a good football coach. it could be a good situation.”

Miami will be the opponent Wednesday and they’ve won 6 in a row. “Miami lost Angel Rodriguez but they’ve got some good guys back. They have a very good team with good inside play. They’ll be playing NC State who has been playing really well, too. It’s a tough, tough league.” As an example, Matt noted that Florida State, a ranked team in their own right, plays Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Louisville in consecutive games. Of those, only Virginia Tech isn’t ranked. Virginia “smacked around” Louisville. Matt said “Virginia squeezes the life out of you.” JB: Nothing is easy. They’ll defend every play, make you miss and get the rebound. They’ll wear you down. No team gets Louisville down by 20 at home and makes it look easy.”

Coach said “We have to play better and tougher.” And he left at 7:54 – Jamesville-DeWitt, for which his son plays, had a game at 8:15, although that was not announced as a reason.

Pat, who almost always calls the show and had a bad experience last week, did not call into this week’s show.
I will very soon defer to other another public way to actual just state my thoughts in response to him without being disrespected or interrupted for no reason. He twice put words in Matt's mouth tonight and once Matt re stated his point correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will very soon defer to other another public way to actual just state my thoughts in response to him without being disrespected or interrupted for no reason. He twice put words in Matt's mouth tonight and once Matt re stated his point correctly.

I guess you don't like cantankerous coaches, either. ;)

I know Scoop Jardine said was playing with a stress fracture in 2008 and didn't tell the coaches because we were down to six guys.

I wonder who the other player who doing the same thing was?

LOOK !!! it's a podium...no it's a mic...no it's CAPTAIN CANTANKEROUS!!!!!

DIY-Superhero-Capes-4.jpg

... We thought we’d have Paschal. He’s blocked 2 shots a game and he was only playing 10 minutes. Losing him was like when we lost Chris McCullough. It’s tough to lose a really good player early in the year.” (I’m not sure how direct that comparison was intended to be.) ...

... in that we lost a player who'd recently looked completely overmatched at the college level and the team didn't appear to skip a beat after he went out?

Oh, Jim. Such interesting claims.

"We are making strides …We got some stuff inside a little better but they are small. We’ve adjusted things, using more ball screens and inside out. We’ve done some of those things in other games, even the losses. Our defense has been good at times. We thought we’d have Paschal. He’s blocked 2 shots a game and he was only playing 10 minutes. Losing him was like when we lost Chris McCullough. It’s tough to lose a really good player early in the year.”

SWC left out one part of JB's comments on PC. he actually went on to project that chukwu would block 4 shots a game had he played twenty minutes.
like it was out of his hands. can we now coach speak and adjust all stats to reflect minutes played (x/y) ?

(i understand that these recaps are not verbatim and steve does an excellent job capturing the gist of the show.)

Last edited:
"We are making strides …We got some stuff inside a little better but they are small. We’ve adjusted things, using more ball screens and inside out. We’ve done some of those things in other games, even the losses. Our defense has been good at times. We thought we’d have Paschal. He’s blocked 2 shots a game and he was only playing 10 minutes. Losing him was like when we lost Chris McCullough. It’s tough to lose a really good player early in the year.”

SWC left out one part of JB's comments on PC. he actually went on to project that chukwu would block 4 shots a game had he played twenty minutes.
like it was out of his hands. can we now coach speak and adjust all stats to reflect minutes played (x/y) ?

(i understand that these recaps are not verbatim and steve does an excellent job capturing the gist of the show.)

Why not? I adjust stats to minutes played. Chukwu actually averaged 15.4 minutes in the games he played, so he's probably have to play 30-31 minutes to get to four blocks. I think he could get the four blocks but there are reason he didn't play the 30-31 minutes. If the coach felt that he four blocks were that valuable, he'd have him out there for 30-31 minutes but he chose not to because the four blocks wouldn't make up for his other deficits.

Seems like they didn't talk much about our team. Maybe that's for the best. :(

Comparing CMac and PC isn't that crazy. CMac was terrible when he played for us.

Terrible? He played like 13 games.
I doubt PC will ever has as good a game as CMac had against Iowa in MSG. CMac won us that game. If Chukwu ever scores double digits in one game I will shocked.

Cmac played 16 games, 8 good ones followed by 8 bad ones. He was better than Chukwu in both.

I think all JB was saying in regard to Chukwu /McCullough was they were both figured into plans for the year and then both were lost for the year. In no way was he claiming like talents.

I think all JB was saying in regard to Chukwu /McCullough was they were both figured into plans for the year and then both were lost for the year. In no way was he claiming like talents.

I agree. It seemed pretty obvious.

From saying Chukwu is not even close to being ready and he's now mentioned with Cmac? :confused:

What's wrong with that comparison? CMac wasn't even close to ready either.

Didn't hear the show, but I suspect he wasn't really comparing where they are as players, more likley comparing losing guys that he expected to have important roles in their respective teams. Whether Chuckwu was ever going to get there or not is a fair question, but I think JB felt he was going to be a very important part of our defense for at least portions of games this season.

Didn't hear the show, but I suspect he wasn't really comparing where they are as players, more likley comparing losing guys that he expected to have important roles in their respective teams. Whether Chuckwu was ever going to get there or not is a fair question, but I think JB felt he was going to be a very important part of our defense for at least portions of games this season.

Cmac was a starter getting 30 plus mins a game, Chukwu was put on the bench for good after a few bad outings and Jimmy said hes nowhere near ready and cant help right now. Hes proppping up Chukwu after the injury like he was a major contributor when thats totally contradictory to what he said prior and Chukwus non existant minutes prove that

Chukwu played 17 minutes against South Carolina and 7 minutes at Wisconsin .
After Wisconsin he was sent to Siberia on the bench. No way no how is he anywhere near CMac.
Chukwu was a complete nonfactor on offense and he wasn't rebounding or helping the D.
If he was even BMK JB would have played him for the defense. He wasn't a factor on D and JB buried him.
This crap trying to compare him to CMac is a joke.
JB hammered Chad Ford for making CMac a lottery pick post Cal/Iowa at MSG.
JB is wrong here and this narrative should be called out.

I think the comparison is being taken too literally and a little too much is being made about it.

Why don't you guys give up the notion that JB was comparing Chukwu and McCullough on a talent basis. As has been said already, he was simply comparing the two based on what they thought they might contribute during their respective seasons and then both went down and consequently couldn't contribute.

He never compared them on a talent basis. That was poster comprehension gone wild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom