The Jim Boeheim Show - before Cornell | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Cornell

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

Coach, in a preseason interview, Jesse Edwards said “Most players in Europe grow up playing out of position. In America, if you are big, you are a center, where you just stand under the basket and grab rebounds. “So I grew up doing a whole lot of different stuff, you know? I’m used to playing a lot of different positions, doing more than just grabbing rebounds. I think that’s what the coaches liked about me. I don’t have really one thing – I’m mostly just an all-around player.”
Getting to know Jesse Edwards, Syracuse’s international man of mystery

John Bol Ajak gave an interview when he was recruited saying “My job is to do a little bit of everything on the floor. It’s new basketball style of play and Coach Seth(Berger) has allowed me to be myself and play the game the way I’m supposed to. I’m 6-11 and I can shoot the ball, put the ball on the deck and be able to shoot the three.” He compared his game to that of Draymond Green, “a big man who can stretch the floor. I started on the inside and now I’m on the outside. I can pass the ball and use my IQ to get some back door plays.”

Is the center position being re-defined from the guy who defended the paint to a more all-around player? Or do you want these guys to be more traditional centers?

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Jim was a bit late and Matt Park played a highlight from the game, (Joe Girard’s air guitar act) and a clip from his post- game interview with Jim praising Marek Dolezaj for having his best game and saying that all the players on the team need to improve. He said that his veteran players, (Elijah and Marek) brought Seattle’s run to a halt.

After a commercial break, Matt welcomed Jim to “the hot seat. Jim said “It’s not a hot seat. Every game is a learning experience. We’re making progress. We have a long ways to go. The defense must get a lot better. Our ball movement is good. Quincy did good things. Marek had his best game. Joe has been playing well. In this game he shot well, too. We are trying to develop Jesse, Quincy and Bryson off the bench.”

I called in and suggested that during the long cold winter a hot – or at least a warm - seat could be a good thing. That got a laugh, as did John Bol Ajak seeing himself a potential Draymond green. “That’s quite a player”. Jim doesn’t mind players having such ambitions but “he’s 100 million miles away from that. John is not ready to shoot it in college. He only averaged about 12 points a game in high school. He and Jesse need to get stronger. Everybody needs to get better. John is about 210 and has trouble finishing around the basket. He can pass it. He and Jesse have tremendous potential. We don’t want anyone to stand anywhere. On defense you have to defend the basket. On offense we have our big men play high.” Matt mentioned that we had a football player who described himself as a combination of Ray Lewis and Cam Chancellor. “He’s no longer here.” I wonder who that is.

Jim watched Evansville beat Kentucky . “They played a great game, did a great job. Kentucky also barely beat Utah Valley. “They are a young team still developing.”

Carmelo Anthony will be starting for the Trailblazers. “He hasn’t played in a year. He’s starting because they have so many guys who are injured. It’s hard to play in the NBA if you have been away for a year.” Dion Waiters “is a good kid who has made some silly mistakes, talking when he shouldn’t. Their young guards have been playing well. Dion is 27 years old. He’s still a really good player. He needs to get something going really quick.“

Virginia was playing Vermont on TV. It was 24-18 at halftime. They both laughed at that score. Jim said that when Tony first got there and they had scores like that and they were losing, people hated it. When they started winning, they loved it.” (They won 61-55.) Wayne ‘in the truck’ called saying the mere mention of the name Vermont will keep him up at night. Jim said “I remember it, too.”

Wayne wondered if there could be a comparison of Joe Girard to Greg Paulus. JB: “Joe is a much better shooter. Greg struggled with his shooting at Duke. ”But Greg might be a big quicker. He’s got a great opportunity at Niagara.”

Matt felt the need to ask Jim about the problem of racist graffiti and other incident son campus, (the latest thing seems to be sending a racist manifesto to people’s cell phones so this has really escalated.
JB: “It’s a horrible thing. We have to listen to and understand all the people who have bene hurt by these incidents. The University has all kinds of the right intensions. We have to come to a solution over the next few months. It’s not going to be a few days. It’s important that we support the students. There’s something wrong. There are things that need to be done. Nobody liked the first Vietnam protests until we realized that they were right.”

They discussed the college football playoff briefly. (Jim still won’t rule out Alabama being in it). Then they went on to the baseball scandal of the Astros using electronics to steal signs. JB: “It’s always been done by players but you can’t steal signs by electronics. It’s against the spirit of the game and against the rules. Even the patriots were punished for taking pictures of practices. This happened in the actual games.”

A Patron at the restaurant submitted a question about why Robert Braswell wasn’t playing. “Robert has a problem with his legs. We are looking into it. You can’t play more than 8-9 guys. It’s not an easy thing to do. We are going to rely on veterans as much as we can. If Marek really gets going, it’s going to increase his minutes.”

They talked about Cornell and its star player, Jimmy Boeheim. “He’s off to a great start. He’s improved every year. He worked 3-4 hours a day every day during the summer and worked out in our place as well as theirs.” Matt noted that the Cornell coach marveled at how fast he was. JB: “He’s gotten bigger and stronger and that makes him quicker.” They’ve lost Matt Morgan, the second all-time leading scorer in the Ivy League behind Bill Bradley. Jim said he made some shots against us last you he’s not sure Steph Curry could make.

Penn State ‘throttled’ Georgetown 81-66 (Yecch vs. Yecch). Jim said it was the best Penn State team he’d seen, “really physical”. Bucknell, who we play on Saturday, is “a really good passing team”. Colgate got clobbered by Auburn, 62-91. “They didn’t play as well against us as I thought they might”. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino Jr. recruited Jamal Mashburn Junior. Does that make Jim feel old? Jims aid he was old and that he’d had fathers and sons play for him, (especially the Rautins – Leo and Andy). North Carolina has “probably the best point guard in the country. They were right there last year.”

They started playing the closing music at 7:48. Jim said it was “premature music.” Nothing premature is good, as we well know.

On the football team: They were really active on defense. Duke had a couple of guys out and they got pounded. Louisville’s coach is doing a great job. Wake Forest has had their ups and downs.” Matt noted that they’d lost their top running back is out. (He’s apparently referring to Christian Beal-Smith, who is actually their fourth leading rusher, who is ‘questionable’ for their game against Duke). Their top receiver, Sage Surratt, is also hurt and out for the season. “It would be great if they could pull those games out.”

Quincy Guerrier “is a good shooter. He hasn’t been making his shot but he got to the basket and got to the foul line. He sat out last year and has a learning curve. He’s learning at both ends of the court. I’m not concerned about free throw shooting. If you make 15 of 20 from the line that’s 75%, which is good. If you make 12 of 20, that’s 60% and that’s bad. But the difference is only three points.” (And, as we know, you never lose games by 3 points.) Our best teams were not good free throw shooting teams but they got the line 300 more times than their opponents. They were physical and got inside. People worry about our rebounding. But if you lose the rebounding battle by four and get 8 more turnovers, you’re +4. A lot of statistics are not as important as people think.” (Then there is “manufactured possessions”...)

There’s no Jim Boeheim Show next week. The next show will be Thursday, December 5th at 7AM.

Quincy Guerrier “is a good shooter. He hasn’t been making his shot but he got to the basket and got to the foul line. He sat out last year and has a learning curve. He’s learning at both ends of the court.

I completely forgot that QG sat out last season. Really important consideration in evaluating his performance to date.

Is that real or in jest the way a parent would complain about a lazy child who won't get off the couch?

Doubtful that it's in jest, although I didn't hear the context, JB stating that "they were looking into it" would suggest it hasn't anything to do with being lazy, etc.

Doubtful that it's in jest, although I didn't hear the context, JB stating that "they were looking into it" would suggest it hasn't anything to do with being lazy, etc.

Yeah I didn't listen to the show but just reading that doesn't give me the impression it has to do with being lazy. JB is usually pretty direct if it has to do with being lazy.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Carrabba's Italian Grill in Fayetteville. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

This year’s schedule: Tuesday, November 12, 7:00 pm, Tuesday, November 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 5, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 12, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 19, 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 26, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 2, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 9, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 16, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 23, 7:00 pm, Thursday, January 30, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 6, 7:00 pm, Monday, February 13, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm, Thursday, February 27, 7:00 pm,
Thursday, March 5, 7:00 pm.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | NFL, Sports, Podcasts, Music & News

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

Coach, in a preseason interview, Jesse Edwards said “Most players in Europe grow up playing out of position. In America, if you are big, you are a center, where you just stand under the basket and grab rebounds. “So I grew up doing a whole lot of different stuff, you know? I’m used to playing a lot of different positions, doing more than just grabbing rebounds. I think that’s what the coaches liked about me. I don’t have really one thing – I’m mostly just an all-around player.”
Getting to know Jesse Edwards, Syracuse’s international man of mystery

John Bol Ajak gave an interview when he was recruited saying “My job is to do a little bit of everything on the floor. It’s new basketball style of play and Coach Seth(Berger) has allowed me to be myself and play the game the way I’m supposed to. I’m 6-11 and I can shoot the ball, put the ball on the deck and be able to shoot the three.” He compared his game to that of Draymond Green, “a big man who can stretch the floor. I started on the inside and now I’m on the outside. I can pass the ball and use my IQ to get some back door plays.”

Is the center position being re-defined from the guy who defended the paint to a more all-around player? Or do you want these guys to be more traditional centers?

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

Jim was a bit late and Matt Park played a highlight from the game, (Joe Girard’s air guitar act) and a clip from his post- game interview with Jim praising Marek Dolezaj for having his best game and saying that all the players on the team need to improve. He said that his veteran players, (Elijah and Marek) brought Seattle’s run to a halt.

After a commercial break, Matt welcomed Jim to “the hot seat. Jim said “It’s not a hot seat. Every game is a learning experience. We’re making progress. We have a long ways to go. The defense must get a lot better. Our ball movement is good. Quincy did good things. Marek had his best game. Joe has been playing well. In this game he shot well, too. We are trying to develop Jesse, Quincy and Bryson off the bench.”

I called in and suggested that during the long cold winter a hot – or at least a warm - seat could be a good thing. That got a laugh, as did John Bol Ajak seeing himself a potential Draymond green. “That’s quite a player”. Jim doesn’t mind players having such ambitions but “he’s 100 million miles away from that. John is not ready to shoot it in college. He only averaged about 12 points a game in high school. He and Jesse need to get stronger. Everybody needs to get better. John is about 210 and has trouble finishing around the basket. He can pass it. He and Jesse have tremendous potential. We don’t want anyone to stand anywhere. On defense you have to defend the basket. On offense we have our big men play high.” Matt mentioned that we had a football player who described himself as a combination of Ray Lewis and Cam Chancellor. “He’s no longer here.” I wonder who that is.

Jim watched Evansville beat Kentucky . “They played a great game, did a great job. Kentucky also barely beat Utah Valley. “They are a young team still developing.”

Carmelo Anthony will be starting for the Trailblazers. “He hasn’t played in a year. He’s starting because they have so many guys who are injured. It’s hard to play in the NBA if you have been away for a year.” Dion Waiters “is a good kid who has made some silly mistakes, talking when he shouldn’t. Their young guards have been playing well. Dion is 27 years old. He’s still a really good player. He needs to get something going really quick.“

Virginia was playing Vermont on TV. It was 24-18 at halftime. They both laughed at that score. Jim said that when Tony first got there and they had scores like that and they were losing, people hated it. When they started winning, they loved it.” (They won 61-55.) Wayne ‘in the truck’ called saying the mere mention of the name Vermont will keep him up at night. Jim said “I remember it, too.”

Wayne wondered if there could be a comparison of Joe Girard to Greg Paulus. JB: “Joe is a much better shooter. Greg struggled with his shooting at Duke. ”But Greg might be a big quicker. He’s got a great opportunity at Niagara.”

Matt felt the need to ask Jim about the problem of racist graffiti and other incident son campus, (the latest thing seems to be sending a racist manifesto to people’s cell phones so this has really escalated.
JB: “It’s a horrible thing. We have to listen to and understand all the people who have bene hurt by these incidents. The University has all kinds of the right intensions. We have to come to a solution over the next few months. It’s not going to be a few days. It’s important that we support the students. There’s something wrong. There are things that need to be done. Nobody liked the first Vietnam protests until we realized that they were right.”

They discussed the college football playoff briefly. (Jim still won’t rule out Alabama being in it). Then they went on to the baseball scandal of the Astros using electronics to steal signs. JB: “It’s always been done by players but you can’t steal signs by electronics. It’s against the spirit of the game and against the rules. Even the patriots were punished for taking pictures of practices. This happened in the actual games.”

A Patron at the restaurant submitted a question about why Robert Braswell wasn’t playing. “Robert has a problem with his legs. We are looking into it. You can’t play more than 8-9 guys. It’s not an easy thing to do. We are going to rely on veterans as much as we can. If Marek really gets going, it’s going to increase his minutes.”

They talked about Cornell and its star player, Jimmy Boeheim. “He’s off to a great start. He’s improved every year. He worked 3-4 hours a day every day during the summer and worked out in our place as well as theirs.” Matt noted that the Cornell coach marveled at how fast he was. JB: “He’s gotten bigger and stronger and that makes him quicker.” They’ve lost Matt Morgan, the second all-time leading scorer in the Ivy League behind Bill Bradley. Jim said he made some shots against us last you he’s not sure Steph Curry could make.

Penn State ‘throttled’ Georgetown 81-66 (Yecch vs. Yecch). Jim said it was the best Penn State team he’d seen, “really physical”. Bucknell, who we play on Saturday, is “a really good passing team”. Colgate got clobbered by Auburn, 62-91. “They didn’t play as well against us as I thought they might”. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino Jr. recruited Jamal Mashburn Junior. Does that make Jim feel old? Jims aid he was old and that he’d had fathers and sons play for him, (especially the Rautins – Leo and Andy). North Carolina has “probably the best point guard in the country. They were right there last year.”

They started playing the closing music at 7:48. Jim said it was “premature music.” Nothing premature is good, as we well know.

On the football team: They were really active on defense. Duke had a couple of guys out and they got pounded. Louisville’s coach is doing a great job. Wake Forest has had their ups and downs.” Matt noted that they’d lost their top running back is out. (He’s apparently referring to Christian Beal-Smith, who is actually their fourth leading rusher, who is ‘questionable’ for their game against Duke). Their top receiver, Sage Surratt, is also hurt and out for the season. “It would be great if they could pull those games out.”

Quincy Guerrier “is a good shooter. He hasn’t been making his shot but he got to the basket and got to the foul line. He sat out last year and has a learning curve. He’s learning at both ends of the court. I’m not concerned about free throw shooting. If you make 15 of 20 from the line that’s 75%, which is good. If you make 12 of 20, that’s 60% and that’s bad. But the difference is only three points.” (And, as we know, you never lose games by 3 points.) Our best teams were not good free throw shooting teams but they got the line 300 more times than their opponents. They were physical and got inside. People worry about our rebounding. But if you lose the rebounding battle by four and get 8 more turnovers, you’re +4. A lot of statistics are not as important as people think.” (Then there is “manufactured possessions”...)

There’s no Jim Boeheim Show next week. The next show will be Thursday, December 5th at 7AM.
As a Vietnam Veteran, Jim should keep his mouth shut . I know what that did to the morale of the men (Protests) When I was in Vietnam Jim was a assistant . He can have opinions like everyone else. But in the Long run he's a Basketball coach.

As a Vietnam Veteran, Jim should keep his mouth shut . I know what that did to the morale of the men (Protests) When I was in Vietnam Jim was a assistant . He can have opinions like everyone else. But in the Long run he's a Basketball coach.
First, thank you for your service to our country! Secondly, I agree with your point of view 100%.

Hmmmmm...

Hope it's nothing serious. He has real potential.

Keep his mouth shut about what? Did I miss something?

Lol here come the stick to basketball comments

Keep his mouth shut about what? Did I miss something?

He talked about how I’m his mind the Vietnam protests were right. Why he would do that is incomprehensible to me. Talk about taking sides unnecessarily on a divisive issue!

Makes me think he has an autographed picture of Jame Fonda on his wall.

Lol here come the stick to basketball comments

You are probably too young to understand why that was such a bad idea.

Picking an old scab and getting it bleeding again is never a good idea.

You are probably too young to understand why that was such a bad idea.

Picking an old scab and getting it bleeding again is never a good idea.
Probably. I’m one of the youngest on the board. I can only go off what i have heard about that time from my family members that lived and served in that time. I just don’t like the narrative that they should “stick to basketball” when they were asked about current protests and he mentioned a time where protests were common.

He talked about how I’m his mind the Vietnam protests were right. Why he would do that is incomprehensible to me. Talk about taking sides unnecessarily on a divisive issue!

Makes me think he has an autographed picture of Jame Fonda on his wall.
He compared what is happening now to something that happened earlier. He did not diss the brave men and women who fought in that war. It seemed uncontroversial to me. But that is me.

He compared what is happening now to something that happened earlier. He did not diss the brave men and women who fought in that war. It seemed uncontroversial to me. But that is me.

I don’t want to belabor this, but “Vietnam protests” would include those spitting on returning servicemen, calling them “baby killers”, murder of innocents with bombs, and many other excesses.

I know that’s not what he meant, but when you open your mouth on that subject, you are likely to get a response you may not have anticipated.

JB has been in the isolated world of the college campus for 50 years. He ought to spend a night at a local VFW.

Any ideas on this?

"Matt mentioned that we had a football player who described himself as a combination of Ray Lewis and Cam Chancellor. “He’s no longer here.” I wonder who that is."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom