The Jim Boeheim Show - before Duke II | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Duke II

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.
Their schedule: The AmeriCU Jim Boeheim Show Begins Tonight! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segments the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

1st Segment Question:

“Coach, we had 3 offensive rebounds against Notre Dame. They had 11. That led to 6 second chance points for us vs. 22 for them and also is the main reason we committed 18 fouls to their 9. We know that it’s difficult to rebound when you are in a zone. Is there something about our offense that makes offensive rebounding difficult?”

2nd Segment Question:

“Coach, I enjoyed seeing Bourama Sidibe make that move to score against Georgia Tech and beating everyone down court for the score against Notre Dame. The last eight years would have bene very different if DaJuan Coleman and Bourama had had good knees.

We had been having great success using Jesse Edwards on the pick and roll. It made the defense pay for over-committing to guard our shooters. Could Bourama be used in the same way?”

Twitch: I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Coach called the Duke game “A tremendous challenge. They are one of a group of 4-5 teams, maybe 7-8 who can win the national championship. They are the team that won at Notre Dame.” Coach K “is a good friend. We’ve had a long relationship. But we’ll both be trying to win on Saturday.”

“This was the first game where we had a rebounding problem. Notre Dame is not a great rebounding team. Our inside defense wasn’t good but he held Notre Dame to 33% shooting outside. We gave up too much off the offensive glass.” Matt Park noted that there were 11 lead changes and two ties in the first half alone. He also described the Prentice Hubb shot. JB: “Basketball is a game of runs. That’s how it’s played. A couple of mistakes. A couple of three pointers and you have a run.” On the Hubb shot: “Of all the shots he could take, that’s the one we wanted. He hadn’t made a three against us, this year or last.”

Georgia Tech “was the first game where we couldn’t make anything in a long time. It was a game we could lose but we got stops at the end. Boston College beat Virginia Tech and also beat Notre Dame by 16 and almost beat them twice. They have been playing really well. Wins in this league are not that easy. Louisville almost beat Duke and North Carolina. The reality is this: we are playing the top four teams in the league in their place. We will have played Wake Forest and Duke twice and Notre Dame and North Carolina on the road. And we played Florida State on the road when they were at full strength.

They were having problems with the phone system again. I got several busy signals or just the feed from the show with no one picking up. Matt asked a question from the restaurant. Scotty asked if the team was tired. JB: “I’m proud of the team. We’re a little tired with the missing depth. But we’re young and will bounce back.” [JB is young?]

Matt went over recent ACC results. JB; “Virginia is playing better than they were. Duke got a couple of late threes to win their game.” Boston College beat North Carolina State. “They have trouble shooting against our zone.” Virginia tech beat Georgia Tech. “They have a chance to win it.” Clemson beat Wake Forest rather easily despite not having a couple of their best players. “No way can I understand it, except that they are tough at home. That’s one of the tougher places to play.”

Frustratingly for me, other people’s calls were getting through, including one from “Steve from Cortland”. (There are Steves everywhere!) this Steve wondered why teams foul at the end of games, even when they are down. I don’t think he’s watched a lot of basketball. Jim said that you have to keep trying to win the game. “Even if you’re down five with 30 seconds left you can win the game. Even down 7-8 you want to keep trying, until there are maybe the last 15 seconds. “

They talked about Ivy league transfers. Jimmy Boeheim is one and had 27 points last night. Notre Dame had one as well: Paul Atkinson who came from Yale and scored 21 while pulling down 17 rebounds. Matt: “The best players from lesser conferences can make an impact.” JB: “Some do. Some don’t. These guys may have played 120 games in college.”

Matt hen introduced a “long time listener”, ‘Mike from Durham’, who said that he’s been a fan for 5 decades.” JB: “I doubt that.” Mike wanted an autograph picture of JB. Jim said that he’d charge his normal rate. Matt suggested that coaches with 1,000 wins should get a discount. ‘Mike’ was, of course, Mike Krzyzewski, Duke’s coach. He said “My grandchildren and you kids grew up together with USA basketball.” [Mike got an earlier start at being a father.] Jim praised him for being the #1 coach with the #1 program in the country for 40 years and called him “the best coach that ever coached”.

Josh in Boulder was concerned that Frank “is not doing well” and blamed it on “a lack of hustle and a lack of emotion”. Jim sprang to Frank’s defense. [He gets to criticize his players. Nobody else had better…] ”He’s totally inexperienced. He didn’t play that much in high school. He was just OK. He didn’t play that much last year. He’s been thrust into games against veteran guys. There’s a couple of offensive rebounds he could have jumped for that would have been dunks. Guards knocked the ball away…Every player is playing as hard as they can. We’re not as good as we would have liked to be but way better than we were at the beginning of the year. We’ve played better since the conference schedule began. Wea re focused. We’ve stayed together in the locker room. We’ve got leaders. The seniors have led.” [That was a continuation of a subject that had come up during a testy interview on Orange Nation that afternoon about whether the team had good leadership.]

“Bourama is playing on one leg. His knew as sore yesterday. That move he made against Georgia Tech – he never did that before, even when he was healthy. Then he made that spring down the court against Notre Dame. I give him all the credit in the world. He hasn’t been in there for so long. He’s been talking to his teammates, telling them what they need to do for two years.”

I finally got through to ask question #1. Coach agreed that “we are doing more in isolation” and that that can impact offensive rebounding because “the rest of the guys are standing too much. We’re having trouble with movement We’re not great at getting open with our pattern stuff. But our defensive rebounding is much better in the last 15-20 games. We’ve had guys in position for offensive rebounds who didn’t get them. We usually have an advantage in turnovers but Notre Dame doesn’t turn it over, either. We were even in rebounds in the second half, which is the worst we should do against Notre Dame.” Matt wondered if Frank lets rebounds go out of bounds too often, assuming that the referees will declare it to be Syracuse ball. Jim said that he hadn’t seen much of that.

They talked about the NBA’s 75th anniversary team. Carmelo Anthony and Dave Bing were both on it, “Deservedly so. Young people don’t think those old guys were all that good but they were pretty good. (laughing)”

Matt went through a list of “our guys who are playing overseas. None of them are in the Ukraine or Russia, although Malachi Richardson is playing in Poland.” Jim said that “the Ukraine is not attacking Russia” so players in Russia are not in danger.”

Steph Curry put on a show, going 16 for 27 from the NBA three-point line for 50 points in the All-Star game, just short of the record. JB: “It’s historical. Nobody can shoot from where he can shoot, 15-20 feet behind the line. He can hit 3-4 in a row from there. They always say that somebody will come along someday who is better but I don’t know about that. He can shoot from a couple steps past the midcourt line. There’s never been a running back like Jim Brown since he retired almost 60 years ago and there never will be.

Kayla wanted to know what TV the coach and his wife Julie watch when he isn’t walking basketball, (which isn’t often). He tapes things from Netflix. His favorite show right now is The Blacklist and he’s a big James Spader fan. We watches the show “when we lose.”

Matt predicted that “the ACC tournament will be wide open. Every team figures they could win 1-2 games.” JB: “The league is not that bad. There’s a few really good teams. The bottom teams can beat you.”

The Orangewomen “don’t have ANY size.”

Duke, per Matt, has “different answers each night”. JB: “They not only have great pro players but great college players.” [Some get paid and some don’t?] They have the top shot blocker in (Mark) Williams. (Wendell) Moore is as good all-around as anybody. (Trevor) Keels is a great shooter.” Matt said that the same will be “a somewhat normal big game at the Dome.” But Jim complained that “8,000 people that have tickets aren’t coming”, which he blames on the pandemic and the requirements created to combat it. “Hopefully we can put this behind us next year – but that’s what we said last year.”

I’ll do the Gomez and Twitch segments tomorrow. But here are the answers given to my other questions:

Coach said that Bourama isn’t capable of running the plays we used with Jesse. “Not right now He’s not able to move and roll quickly.” [Then how did he pull off the move vs. tech and beat everyone down the court at ND?] “Jesse could catch it and pass it. Jesse really couldn’t do it a year ago…. We are using different types of plays, with Frank as a screener.”

Jim was asked about the Juwan Howard incident. “You don’t ever comment on what another coach did. That was a pretty serious mistake. Every coach has his own way of coaching his team and that’s not my business.” I decided to ask, (a few minutes later) what Coach thought of Josh Pastner wandering out onto the court with his flash cards, (which reflected the Dome lights and might have been a distraction in and of themselves). “I didn’t notice it. Call it or don’t call it. Veteran officials are reluctant to call technicals.” [The refs issued a warning and did nothing else.] I made a comparison to Louie Carnesecca. Matt didn’t remember this but Jim sure did: Louie wandered all over the place. One time he got so far down the line that he was in front of the Seton Hall bench. The refs started looking at him so he sat down next to Bill Raftery, who was still the coach there at that time. One time he grabbed his own point guard and threw him across the mid-court line. “But we got the turnover anyway.” I remember Adrian Autry bringing the ball up and bumping into Louie.

The two big news items of the night:
- Another Matt “in Syracuse” suggested that the roster “needed a revamp”. JB: “We are getting one. We’ve got 5 new guys and to bring in a 6th….it will probably be 6.. Buddy, Jimmy and Cole are leaving. If somebody else were to leave we would go to the transfer portal.”
- They were talking about Virginia’s success against the zone and how effective Kihei Clark is in the high post. “There are more good teams against zones and who can handle the ball. We used to play 4-5 teams that couldn’t shoot.” Matt asked if this was an occasion to rethink using the zone all the time. JB: “This team couldn’t play man-to-man if we spent two years practicing it. But looking forward, this is something we’d definitely look at with the guys we have coming in. Some of our best teams – in the distant past - played both zone and man-for-man.”

Thanks as always for your reporting.

BlackSquirrels Top 5 Howler Power Rankings, 2/25/22

1. But looking forward, this (playing man-to-man D) is something we’d definitely look at with the guys we have coming in.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

2. “Notre Dame is not a great rebounding team.”

This is a kind characterization. barttorvik.com has ND at #334 in the country in offensive rebounding percentage on the season, and last in the ACC in conference games.

3. On Steph Curry: “Nobody can shoot from where he can shoot, 15-20 feet behind the line. He can hit 3-4 in a row from there.”

What about Damian Lillard, Trae Young, and Joe Girard?

4. On the ACC: “The league is not that bad. There’s a few really good teams. The bottom teams can beat you.”

We’re back to “the bottom teams can beat you” status. JB had given up on that talking point on an earlier show when he said “the middle teams” can beat you, but now we’re back to the bottom teams.

5. On the crowd for the Duke game: “8,000 people that have tickets aren’t coming”, which he blames on the pandemic and the requirements created to combat it.

Heh.

Thanks as always for your reporting.

BlackSquirrels Top 5 Howler Power Rankings, 2/25/22

1. But looking forward, this (playing man-to-man D) is something we’d definitely look at with the guys we have coming in.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

2. “Notre Dame is not a great rebounding team.”

This is a kind characterization. barttorvik.com has ND at #334 in the country in offensive rebounding percentage on the season, and last in the ACC in conference games.

3. On Steph Curry: “Nobody can shoot from where he can shoot, 15-20 feet behind the line. He can hit 3-4 in a row from there.”

What about Damian Lillard, Trae Young, and Joe Girard?

4. On the ACC: “The league is not that bad. There’s a few really good teams. The bottom teams can beat you.”

We’re back to “the bottom teams can beat you” status. JB had given up on that talking point on an earlier show when he said “the middle teams” can beat you, but now we’re back to the bottom teams.

5. On the crowd for the Duke game: “8,000 people that have tickets aren’t coming”, which he blames on the pandemic and the requirements created to combat it.

Heh.

Part 2 to come, (I stayed up late typing that and slept late to make up for it. It's good to be retired.)

PART 2

“I don’t mind seeing Coach K. I just wish he wouldn’t bring his players with him.”

On NIL: “The NCAA and Athletic Directors don’t listen to coaches. They didn’t play or coach and don’t listen to those who did. Foreign players can’t work without permits and they are considered employees. Our guys are getting no money. Kentucky’s Oscar Tshiebwe, (from the Congo), has had 92 different offers. Some players are getting hundreds of thousands. Just $10,000 would be great for some players.” Matt pointed out that Tshiebwe, who leads the nation in rebounding, has 428 rebounds so far and has five games with 20 rebounds and a high of 28. He’s averaging 15.3. JB: “Just think if we had a guy who could get 15 rebounds.”

Wayne in the truck, (the perfect name for a radio talk show caller), asked Jim if there were any “fiery” guys on the team. Contrary to his Orange Nation interview in the afternoon, Jim responded “there aren’t many of those guys anymore. We never really had that guy. They let me do that. That’s my job. Today’s athlete is a little different. Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird used to go after people. Kobe and Lebron to some extent. These men are 30 years old. It’s hard for a 20-year-old college kid to go after another 20-year-old college kid.”

Kyle in Carthage wondered if Cole Swider could “pound it inside” the way Jimmy Boeheim does. JB: “he’s not really good with the ball. In three years at Villanova he never did that. He’s not a good post-up guy. Buddy can back them down to get that shot. For use to be really good we need our four scorers to score.

Then came the discussion of the Juwan Howard situation. “It’s about calling off the dogs or trying to teach. The other coach doesn’t want to get embarrassed. Don’t fall behind by 19.” See above for the rest of that conversation.

Then came the “roster revamp” discussion. “He had a big turnover this season and the early schedule was too hard. People don’t realize that Marek was probably our MVP on both ends of the court. Without Jesse we miss him even more.”

On Twitch, Jim said “Duke is the best team. They have the best players. Everybody is going have some slips during the course of the season. Williams is a lottery pick. Keels will be in the top 10-12 picks. Joey Baker can shoot. It’s a very challenging team. They are better defensively with a big-time shot blocker. AJ Griffin is a great shooter, better than Allan and he's bigger and stronger."

Allan Iverson may be at the Dome Saturday. He's "the hardest-nosed, toughest player who ever played." But he doesn't like practice. "The pros are different. LeBron doesn't do a lot of practice. Allan is 5-11 and 100 nothing. He gave you everything he had on the court."

They talked about Tom Butters, who was the Duke AD who hired Coach K and stuck with him through some tough early years. (K had losing records his 2nd and 3rd years there: after the 1982-83 season, Jim was 159-54 and Mike 115-106 in their coaching careers.) The “Iron Dukes”, their fund-raining organization, publicly stated they wanted K out at that time and K has never spoken with them in four decades since. JB said that he’s “one of the two smartest guys he’s ever met with Dave Gavitt. He later became head of the NCAA selection committee. Butter was asked to lead the fund-raising campaign and said he would but he’s got to have a cut. That year he produced $40 million in contributions and earned $2 million when Ads were begin paid $75,000/year. They never made that deal again.”

Providence is having a heck of year. They are now in the top ten {probably for the first time since they had Marvin Barnes]. “They are 14-1 in games decided by 5 points or less. They have exceptional guards, 5th year guys.” They also have Brycen Goodine!

Matt, (who did all three segments – Gomez is on vacation), had a trivia question- in 25 years, four frits time head coaches in the ACC have won 20 games. Can you name them?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom