The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown

I think the combination of that and this comment made me think he was calling out Cole.

Was there pressure on Cole playing his old team? “There always is. He’s never had to play 30 minutes a game. He’s never had to rebound much or drive to the basket. We need more practices.

Combine that with the fact that he never mentioned Jimmy, who had 2 rebounds in 38 minutes, and that's why I said/implied JB was a bit unfair with his criticisms in my mind.

Cole has never had to play 30 minutes a game but now we expect him to play 30 minutes a game. Sounds reasonable. Good roster management.

Cole has never had to play 30 minutes a game but now we expect him to play 30 minutes a game. Sounds reasonable. Good roster management.
We can complain all day, every week, about roster management with the current team. It gets tiresome.

We lost Woody and Kadary to the portal - and it wasn’t realistic to replace all we lost. Did OK in keeping Frank and bringing in 2 starters and Sy. Just OK.
For next year, we have 5 recruits - one for each position - plus a few of the current guys eligible to return. There is time to find portal help in addition - a power forward and another guard.

We can complain all day, every week, about roster management with the current team. It gets tiresome.

We lost Woody and Kadary to the portal - and it wasn’t realistic to replace all we lost. Did OK in keeping Frank and bringing in 2 starters and Sy. Just OK.
For next year, we have 5 recruits - one for each position - plus a few of the current guys eligible to return. There is time to find portal help in addition - a power forward and another guard.
We literally have 8 players who can play.
That is what the HC wanted for roster management.
He has 2 guys JBA and Chaz who are essentially walkons on scholarship.

What JB refuses to account for in roster management is the starters aren’t going to play well every game.
Having a bench that can actually help is part of building a solid program.
Especially when our starters aren’t elite all-conference they are good players but not POY guys.

We should have a bench that can help. Our reserves now are just bit pieces unless Benny hopefully develops.

This is on the HC.
He scheduled these games. He said this was a good team preseason.

We literally have 8 players who can play.
That is what the HC wanted for roster management.
He has 2 guys JBA and Chaz who are essentially walkons on scholarship.

What JB refuses to account for in roster management is the starters aren’t going to play well every game.
Having a bench that can actually help is part of building a solid program.
Especially when our starters aren’t elite all-conference they are good players but not POY guys.

We should have a bench that can help. Our reserves now are just bit pieces unless Benny hopefully develops.

This is on the HC.
He scheduled these games. He said this was a good team preseason.
A fair, seemingly accurate take

I have no problem accepting lower expectations. It’s the people who bend the knee and don’t acknowledge the HC is smart at spin.

If fans accept we aren’t elite anymore the frustration should go down.

It would be an easier pill to swallow if it wasn't so avoidable.

It would be an easier pill to swallow if it wasn't so avoidable.
JB can still coach in game with the best.
I don’t think he wants to lose but he wants to win his way and he thinks his way still works.
The AD won’t tell him anything. JB is bigger than him.
JB likes coaching his kid Buddy and now he gets to coach both kids.

I got no problem playing your best kids the most minutes but we should have rotations but we don’t because our HC rides his starters hard.
We really miss players like Brandon Triche and Rick Jackson.

Triche got a lot of chit here but the guy is the perfect JB player.
He can play either guard spot above average. Could drive and shoot and was a good defender.
It’s sad we can’t get guards like him but who is going to come here and sit on the bench behind Buddy or Joe multiple years.

Last edited:

Why would it not be realistic? Other teams do it.

I mean...I agree it’s not realistic for us, right now, with this team...I agree with that.

but bringing in more than 8 playable guys players does happen on many teams.

So JB says we don't judge ourselves against the #6 team in the country. I guess that tells us where we are as a program.

He's saying that this team at this time is not at that level. But yes, we haven't been ranked that high since 2014.

Why would it not be realistic? Other teams do it.

I mean...I agree it’s not realistic for us, right now, with this team...I agree with that.

but bringing in more than 8 playable guys players does happen on many teams.
Yes, it isn’t realistic for us in the year of the portal. You have two returning starters in the guard spots, add a junior with experience from the portal, how attractive is the opportunity for the 4th guard? You grab two veteran forwards as likely starters, and have Benny coming in as a presumed hot shot (4 or 5 star), how attractive is the opportunity to the next portal forward?

JB can still coach in game with the best.
I don’t think he wants to lose but he wants to win his way and he thinks his way still works.
The AD won’t tell him anything. JB is bigger than him.
JB likes coaching his kid Buddy and now he gets to coach both kids.

I got no problem playing your best kids the most minutes but we should have rotations but we don’t because our HC rides his starters hard.
We really miss players like Brandon Triche and Rick Jackson.

Triche got a lot of chit here but the guy is the perfect JB player.
He can play either guard spot above average. Could drive and shoot and was a good defender.
It’s sad we can’t get guards like him but who is going to come here and sit on the bench behind Buddy or Joe multiple years.
There's nobody on the bench on this team that deserves major minutes based on production. A good team needs a couple of players off the bench who can come in and make a big contribution. All of our good teams had that. It's going to cost us this season. Not just when guys get in foul trouble or miss a game with illness or injury. There will be games when a starter is having an off night and you need a bench guy to come in and take up the slack. There is nobody this year to do that. Maybe Benny next year but it doesn't appear this year. There is no scoring to come in. We used to debate on this board if our recruiting was falling off after the move to the ACC. Well I guess that point has been proven.

So JB says we don't judge ourselves against the #6 team in the country. I guess that tells us where we are as a program.
He's right. We've got a team that hasn't played together until this year. Nova has a strong veteren team.
You can't make a good judgement on that basis.

Yes, it isn’t realistic for us in the year of the portal. You have two returning starters in the guard spots, add a junior with experience from the portal, how attractive is the opportunity for the 4th guard? You grab two veteran forwards as likely starters, and have Benny coming in as a presumed hot shot (4 or 5 star), how attractive is the opportunity to the next portal forward?
I don’t know. How do other teams get depth in the year of the portal. Somehow UCLA returned two AAs from a final 4 team yet recruited a 5 star to sit behind them? Gonzaga did as well with Timme.

What do you think the difference is in our returning players and those players? Why are starting spots assumed from the year prior?

I don’t know. How do other teams get depth in the year of the portal. Somehow UCLA returned two AAs from a final 4 team yet recruited a 5 star to sit behind them? Gonzaga did as well with Timme.

What do you think the difference is in our returning players and those players? Why are starting spots assumed from the year prior?
I mean look at last year.
When we had Triche, Scoop and Waiters look at the MPG in 2012.
Scoop played 25.2 MPG
Waiters played 24.1 MPG
Triche played 22.5 MPG.
Last year
Buddy played 36.1 MPG
Joe played 27.1 MPG
Kadary played 21.0 MPG

When we had better players we had better balance? WHY?
Don’t tell me we couldn’t play Joe and Kadary more together.
Why didn’t we? Honestly somebody give reasons? I am talking over the course of the entire season. Not when a particular player was red hot.

The HC opens himself up to legit questions that people don’t want to ask because we know why.
What freshman is going to come here and be attached to the bench when we aren’t a NC contender or the players above them aren’t seniors?

Scoop played 25.2 MPG
Waiters played 24.1 MPG
Triche played 22.5 MPG.
Last year
Buddy played 36.1 MPG
Joe played 27.1 MPG
Kadary played 21.0 MPG

Why didn’t we? Honestly somebody give reasons? I am talking over the course of the entire season. Not when a particular player was red hot.

The HC opens himself up to legit questions that people don’t want to ask because we know why.

Why?

Why?
Because when a player struggles maybe another player can actually help you win more games. Instead of playing a player struggling and play them absurd minutes.

It’s what a lot of teams/coaches do. They don’t roll with players struggling who aren’t superstars.
Less minutes means you can have more energy. Again when we had better players AND our best regular season team we played them less and more equal.

It’s not hard man.

Scoop played 25.2 MPG
Waiters played 24.1 MPG
Triche played 22.5 MPG.
Last year
Buddy played 36.1 MPG
Joe played 27.1 MPG
Kadary played 21.0 MPG

What freshman is going to come here and be attached to the bench when we aren’t a NC contender or the players above them aren’t seniors?
Eh I get your points, obviously, but I’m just speaking specifically on “it can’t be done in the portal era” or “it’s not realistic“.

it can be done. We chose not to. That’s my only point. Not gonna litigate bench for the 15th consecutive year.

Eh I get your points, obviously, but I’m just speaking specifically on “it can’t be done in the portal era” or “it’s not realistic“.

it can be done. We chose not to. That’s my only point. Not gonna litigate bench for the 15th consecutive year.
We used to be able to play our bench in nonconference season when we blew teams out and then during the conference season the short rotation IMo was fine.
Because those rosters had stacked talent.

Nowadays we don’t even have a deep bench that could develop if we were blowing teams out.

My issue is with roster construction. You have elite talent then don’t go beyond 7-8 deep.
We don’t have that type of talent.
We have solid players that are good but we should be able to have bench players that could play double minutes off the bench and even sit some of our bench if they are on.

We don’t have that this year because the bench is thin. We brought in only one freshman this year.
Why didn’t we bring in a HS guard?

All we did is replace Kadary and we didn’t replace Woody.

Next year we are going to have a really young team. None of them are ranked higher than Benny can we expect them to step right in next year?

Because when a player struggles maybe another player can actually help you win more games. Instead of playing a player struggling and play them absurd minutes.

It’s what a lot of teams/coaches do. They don’t roll with players struggling who aren’t superstars.
Less minutes means you can have more energy. Again when we had better players AND our best regular season team we played them less and more equal.

It’s not hard man.

None of that answers my question of as to why. You said we know why.

Because I am trying to have an honest discussion and not cause a flame war.
Don’t pretend you don’t know what I mean. If you wouldn’t lock or delete things easily I would be more direct.

You must have missed this post.

Thread 'Listen up'
Listen up

It’s not hard man.

I feel like Trevor Cooney was the first guy with the never-ending leash. The John the Baptist for the chosen one who would come later, if you will.

He's right. We've got a team that hasn't played together until this year. Nova has a strong veteren team.
You can't make a good judgement on that basis.
Sure. That's THIS year's excuse.

Scoop played 25.2 MPG
Waiters played 24.1 MPG
Triche played 22.5 MPG.
Last year
Buddy played 36.1 MPG
Joe played 27.1 MPG
Kadary played 21.0 MPG

Who played the other 10 MPG in 2012?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom