The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show - before Georgetown

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(modified after I listened to: Twitch 1:06- 1:16)

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, when we were competing for national championships, we had teams that were strong on both offense and defense and they could feed off of each other. Since then, we’ve tended to have teams that are better at one than the other, at least at the beginning of seasons. Is it easier to get a good offensive team to learn to play defense or to find ways for a good defensive team to score?”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, after the Notre Dame game there was considerable discussion on our forum about the use of the fouls we had to give in the last possession. Judah scored with 14 seconds left to give us the 1 point lead. and we had three fouls to give before the 1 and 1. Joe fouled with 10 seconds left. Justin fouled a second later and Judah two seconds after that, leaving Notre Dame with 7 seconds left, during which they got a makeable shot off. Should we have spaced the fouls out better to give them less time or does that risk them keeping the ball away or getting off a shot while being fouled?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Tonight I’m going to stick to the comments related to my questions and the SU basketball team. I’ll do a follow-up tomorrow on other subjects that came up.

JB: “Oakland was a really small team. They are usually good but this is Greg Kampe’s worst team in 38 years. They don’t shoot or defend well. We had a chance to get everybody out there. It’s tough to just practice when you don’t get to play.”

“Against Notre Dame we left a lot of things to correct. The defense was better in the second half. We have a long way to go. We’ve got young guys and new players. People are taking transfers in their 4th or 5th years and that’s what we are playing against.”

“Colgate and Bryant will win their leagues and the tourneys and be in the NCAAs.“

I called in my first question but Jim didn’t care for the premise. “You have to do both, (work on offense and defense), and work just as hard on each. Some teams have a bit more offensive talent. We are trying to get both going. That’s what you do.” Mat tried to extend the conversation. “When you look as a prospect do you ever say “You know that guy could be a good defensive player.”? JB: “We look for offense just like the NBA. You can’t teach a guy who can’t shoot to shoot. If a guy who can is a good athlete, he should be able to play defense, too.” [In other words, it’s harder to get a good defensive team to score than it is to get an offensive team to play defense.] “We’re still working on so many things We’re working on defense and some other things on offense. We have to improve our rebounding. We’ve got guys who are not natural rebounders and we’ve got to get them to get rebounds. “

My second question didn’t go much better but at least we got a specific answer. “You just can’t do that. It doesn’t work that way. I might have liked another second or two but you can’t space out fouls. Once a guy gets past you we could be in a shooting situation. They had no chance on that shot. It took two passes and he had to lean back and throw it up with no time for a rebound. That was pretty close to good. It’s easy to say what should have been done. That’s armchair quarterback stuff. The armchair stuff is crazy.” He cited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers comeback against the Saints, who “ran two plays and then a guy dropped a pass, which allowed Tom Brady, who had been good for 40 yards all night to go 90 yards [actually 63] to win the game. As Troy Aikman said, there is no discussion (about whether the Saints did something wrong).”

“Georgetown is really strong and talented – a much better team than the one that beat us last year. They have great size and good shooters and ball handlers. Qudus Wahab (6-11 240) and Akok Akok (6-9 200 are good shot blockers. [We’ll finally get Ajak vs. Akok.] They struggled early putting pieces together and have had a hard time handling leads. They play really solid basketball with guys who can do a lot of things. Their record doesn’t matter.” “We’ll probably keep playing Georgetown plus an early tournament, the ACC-SEC challenge and 20 ACC games.” Kyle in Carthage asked what the Georgetown game means to recruiting., Jim said that they have gotten a number of players form the DC area over the year and gone head to head with Georgetown for some of them. “it’s a big game. John Thompson loved to coach here and get into it with the fans”. Gomez said that “Since Jack Magee was there, the average height of a Georgetown coach has been 6-6, which probably leads the country.” JB agreed. [Jack Magee was their coach from 1966-72 during which he went 68-79, including 3-23 in his last season, which was the point at which they hired John Thompson.] Louise Orr still works there “but is not part of the coaching staff”. Gomez said that the guy that threw the orange in the 1985 game, (where we beat the #1 Hoyas on pearl’s shot), is a listener to his radio show. He didn’t identify him but wondered if Jim had ever met him. He hasn’t. But he’s talked to him. Go to the 14:30 mark:

1985 NCAA Syracuse vs. Georgetown

“He had quite an arm. That came from the end zone.”

“King Rice has done a really good job at Monmouth. They are down a little this year but are a good team. They are always competitive in their league. We will have to be ready.”

“Cornell gave Miami all they wanted. They almost couldn’t keep up with Cornell. They had a shot to win the game at the buzzer. They switched to a pressing and fast break team last year. Brian Earl has a Princeton background. They have 4-5 guys who can hit the three. They hit the back door pass 10 times against the Hurricanes. There aren’t too many teams that press and run the whole game. Loyola Marymount was a long time ago. It’s a fun way to play basketball and fun to watch. You have to have multiple guys who can handle, pass and shoot.

Josh in Boulder wondered why our forwards “can’t be more aggressive”? JB “They aren’t aggressive by nature so we have to push them in physical practices. We have to get better with everything. Matt asked about Maliq Brown. JB: “He can rebound and score inside. He’s a true power forward. He’s not as experienced as Benny and John Bol but he’s got a great future.”

Dave in Minneapolis, [Orange Nation gets bigger and bigger], commented that it’s strange to see Jim “working through your rotation at this point in the season. Was it youth? Make-up?” [Meaning the make up of the roster.] JB: “nobody has stepped up and taken over. Our forwards have been very inconsistent. Mounir needs to be better. Benny and Chris need to get better. We’ll see when that happens. “Against Notre Dame we only played 7 guys. Jesse and Joe are playing well but the other positions are flexible right now. I don’t expect it to change.

On this date in SU basketball history, we beat Georgetown 72-71 on a shot by Tyus Battle in 2018. “Gerry hit more game winners than anyone else but Ty was clutch.

Someone in Twitch asked if Ryan Blackwell or Eric Devendorf could make his staff. “Ryan is a really good coach. High school is different. In college he’d have to be on the road recruiting a lot. It’s not just X’s and O’s. Devo understands the game and would make a good recruiter.”

Will here ever be another Carrier Classic? [Or a JMA Classic?] Jim doesn’t think so. “Teams don’t want to come here.”

People keep asking him for tickets. “I stay out of the ticket business”. [What would he give them anyway?]

Jim and Pearl will be inducted into SU’s ‘Ring of Honor’. “Pearl was a great guy, the most exciting player I’ve ever seen.” Jim first saw Pearl in his sophomore year in high school. “he was 185 pounds then and playing against Manhattan seniors. He dribbled through four guys to score the first time he got the ball and then did it again. I think he scored something like 38 points. He was a blur and the arena was louder than Duke.”

Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: Americu Jim Boeheim Show Starts Nov. 9 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or https://twitter.com/hashtag/AskBoeheim?src=hashtag_click

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The early shows tend to be in a one-hour format. I'll post a summary of them the same night. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: the Matt Park segment the night of the show and the Gomez segment the next day.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

(modified after I listened to: Twitch 1:06- 1:16)

For the Matt Park Segment:

“Coach, when we were competing for national championships, we had teams that were strong on both offense and defense and they could feed off of each other. Since then, we’ve tended to have teams that are better at one than the other, at least at the beginning of seasons. Is it easier to get a good offensive team to learn to play defense or to find ways for a good defensive team to score?”

For the Gomez segment:

“Coach, after the Notre Dame game there was considerable discussion on our forum about the use of the fouls we had to give in the last possession. Judah scored with 14 seconds left to give us the 1 point lead. and we had three fouls to give before the 1 and 1. Joe fouled with 10 seconds left. Justin fouled a second later and Judah two seconds after that, leaving Notre Dame with 7 seconds left, during which they got a makeable shot off. Should we have spaced the fouls out better to give them less time or does that risk them keeping the ball away or getting off a shot while being fouled?”

(For the third segment on Twitch I’ll improvise a question or two after listening to the rest of the show.)

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Tonight I’m going to stick to the comments related to my questions and the SU basketball team. I’ll do a follow-up tomorrow on other subjects that came up.

JB: “Oakland was a really small team. They are usually good but this is Greg Kampe’s worst team in 38 years. They don’t shoot or defend well. We had a chance to get everybody out there. It’s tough to just practice when you don’t get to play.”

“Against Notre Dame we left a lot of things to correct. The defense was better in the second half. We have a long way to go. We’ve got young guys and new players. People are taking transfers in their 4th or 5th years and that’s what we are playing against.”

“Colgate and Bryant will win their leagues and the tourneys and be in the NCAAs.“

I called in my first question but Jim didn’t care for the premise. “You have to do both, (work on offense and defense), and work just as hard on each. Some teams have a bit more offensive talent. We are trying to get both going. That’s what you do.” Mat tried to extend the conversation. “When you look as a prospect do you ever say “You know that guy could be a good defensive player.”? JB: “We look for offense just like the NBA. You can’t teach a guy who can’t shoot to shoot. If a guy who can is a good athlete, he should be able to play defense, too.” [In other words, it’s harder to get a good defensive team to score than it is to get an offensive team to play defense.] “We’re still working on so many things We’re working on defense and some other things on offense. We have to improve our rebounding. We’ve got guys who are not natural rebounders and we’ve got to get them to get rebounds. “

My second question didn’t go much better but at least we got a specific answer. “You just can’t do that. It doesn’t work that way. I might have liked another second or two but you can’t space out fouls. Once a guy gets past you we could be in a shooting situation. They had no chance on that shot. It took two passes and he had to lean back and throw it up with no time for a rebound. That was pretty close to good. It’s easy to say what should have been done. That’s armchair quarterback stuff. The armchair stuff is crazy.” He cited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers comeback against the Saints, who “ran two plays and then a guy dropped a pass, which allowed Tom Brady, who had been good for 40 yards all night to go 90 yards [actually 63] to win the game. As Troy Aikman said, there is no discussion (about whether the Saints did something wrong).”

“Georgetown is really strong and talented – a much better team than the one that beat us last year. They have great size and good shooters and ball handlers. Qudus Wahab (6-11 240) and Akok Akok (6-9 200 are good shot blockers. [We’ll finally get Ajak vs. Akok.] They struggled early putting pieces together and have had a hard time handling leads. They play really solid basketball with guys who can do a lot of things. Their record doesn’t matter.” “We’ll probably keep playing Georgetown plus an early tournament, the ACC-SEC challenge and 20 ACC games.” Kyle in Carthage asked what the Georgetown game means to recruiting., Jim said that they have gotten a number of players form the DC area over the year and gone head to head with Georgetown for some of them. “it’s a big game. John Thompson loved to coach here and get into it with the fans”. Gomez said that “Since Jack Magee was there, the average height of a Georgetown coach has been 6-6, which probably leads the country.” JB agreed. [Jack Magee was their coach from 1966-72 during which he went 68-79, including 3-23 in his last season, which was the point at which they hired John Thompson.] Louise Orr still works there “but is not part of the coaching staff”. Gomez said that the guy that threw the orange in the 1985 game, (where we beat the #1 Hoyas on pearl’s shot), is a listener to his radio show. He didn’t identify him but wondered if Jim had ever met him. He hasn’t. But he’s talked to him. Go to the 14:30 mark:

1985 NCAA Syracuse vs. Georgetown

“He had quite an arm. That came from the end zone.”

“King Rice has done a really good job at Monmouth. They are down a little this year but are a good team. They are always competitive in their league. We will have to be ready.”

“Cornell gave Miami all they wanted. They almost couldn’t keep up with Cornell. They had a shot to win the game at the buzzer. They switched to a pressing and fast break team last year. Brian Earl has a Princeton background. They have 4-5 guys who can hit the three. They hit the back door pass 10 times against the Hurricanes. There aren’t too many teams that press and run the whole game. Loyola Marymount was a long time ago. It’s a fun way to play basketball and fun to watch. You have to have multiple guys who can handle, pass and shoot.

Josh in Boulder wondered why our forwards “can’t be more aggressive”? JB “They aren’t aggressive by nature so we have to push them in physical practices. We have to get better with everything. Matt asked about Maliq Brown. JB: “He can rebound and score inside. He’s a true power forward. He’s not as experienced as Benny and John Bol but he’s got a great future.”

Dave in Minneapolis, [Orange Nation gets bigger and bigger], commented that it’s strange to see Jim “working through your rotation at this point in the season. Was it youth? Make-up?” [Meaning the make up of the roster.] JB: “nobody has stepped up and taken over. Our forwards have been very inconsistent. Mounir needs to be better. Benny and Chris need to get better. We’ll see when that happens. “Against Notre Dame we only played 7 guys. Jesse and Joe are playing well but the other positions are flexible right now. I don’t expect it to change.

On this date in SU basketball history, we beat Georgetown 72-71 on a shot by Tyus Battle in 2018. “Gerry hit more game winners than anyone else but Ty was clutch.

Someone in Twitch asked if Ryan Blackwell or Eric Devendorf could make his staff. “Ryan is a really good coach. High school is different. In college he’d have to be on the road recruiting a lot. It’s not just X’s and O’s. Devo understands the game and would make a good recruiter.”

Will here ever be another Carrier Classic? [Or a JMA Classic?] Jim doesn’t think so. “Teams don’t want to come here.”

People keep asking him for tickets. “I stay out of the ticket business”. [What would he give them anyway?]

Jim and Pearl will be inducted into SU’s ‘Ring of Honor’. “Pearl was a great guy, the most exciting player I’ve ever seen.” Jim first saw Pearl in his sophomore year in high school. “he was 185 pounds then and playing against Manhattan seniors. He dribbled through four guys to score the first time he got the ball and then did it again. I think he scored something like 38 points. He was a blur and the arena was louder than Duke.”

Thanks for the recap. Not going to quibble too much with anything JB said, but one thing:

JB: “We look for offense just like the NBA. You can’t teach a guy who can’t shoot to shoot.

Two parts about this:
First sentence shows why Mintz is a lead guard for us. I'm sick of people thinking there are CP3 type PGs just all over the place. Scoring guards that can break down Ds off the dribble are lead guards in the NBA now (Ja, Luka, Curry, SGA, etc).

Second sentence:
To be clear, this is part of SWC's question re off player to play D or vice versa in terms of recruiting, but JB's comment just isn't correct. At all.

NOW, with that said, if he said that they won't get better shooting while at SU, I'd agree. Pace, Battle, etc (guys with hitches in their shots), didn't improve their form until playing pro ball, which isn't surprising. It's easier to get better at shooting when you aren't having to attend your GEO 105 recitation.

Not that our guys aren't working on/improving their shot, but guys that can't shoot at all can get better.

Separately, interesting comments on Devo and Blackwell.

Let's just beat GTown and keep this winning streak alive.

Thanks for the recap. Not going to quibble too much with anything JB said, but one thing:

Two parts about this:
First sentence shows why Mintz is a lead guard for us. I'm sick of people thinking there are CP3 type PGs just all over the place. Scoring guards that can break down Ds off the dribble are lead guards in the NBA now (Ja, Luka, Curry, SGA, etc).

Second sentence:
To be clear, this is part of SWC's question re off player to play D or vice versa in terms of recruiting, but JB's comment just isn't correct. At all.

NOW, with that said, if he said that they won't get better shooting while at SU, I'd agree. Pace, Battle, etc (guys with hitches in their shots), didn't improve their form until playing pro ball, which isn't surprising. It's easier to get better at shooting when you aren't having to attend your GEO 105 recitation.

Not that our guys aren't working on/improving their shot, but guys that can't shoot at all can get better.

Separately, interesting comments on Devo and Blackwell.

Let's just beat GTown and keep this winning streak alive.
CP3 is s scorer at all 3 levels along with being an assist machine. He is not an example of a non-scoring PG and he also has a high shooting %. What makes him special is his efficiency with the ball. His decision making is lighting fast. The ball does not stick in his hands. A future HOF.

CP3 is s scorer at all 3 levels along with being an assist machine. He is not an example of a non-scoring PG and he also has a high shooting %. What makes him special is his efficiency with the ball. His decision making is lighting fast. The ball does not stick in his hands. A future HOF.

Of course he scores. He's a facilitator first, though.

He's not the same as Ja, Luka, Curry, SGA, etc.

Name me the next CP3 that's going into the NBA, because it sure as heck ain't Scoot.

These guys are transitioning to a diff type of lead guard. CP3 is not who they are mirroring. I didn't mean to say that CP3 was an assist person only. That's ridiculous.

PART 2

When Josh in Boulder called he was asked about the Deon Sanders hiring at Colorado. “Coach Sanders has been very aggressive. His son came with him to play quarterback. He has the charisma to bring in players.” JB: “They haven’t been good in years. It hasn’t allowed guys to stay. They’ve had a lot of bodies. If you have players, you can win.” Matt said that in the 80’s and 90’s “there was a huge LA presence on their roster.” JB: (To get good transfers) “It has to be easier to take credits. Schools deny transfers because someone had D’s. But they passed. We do it here. You don’t have Deon Sanders and not help him.”

JT Daniels has hit the transfer portal. The former Georgia quarterback started at Southern California, moved to the Bulldogs, where he got beat out by Stetson Bennett, transferred to West Virginia and now wants to go to a fourth school. “This is the problem with the NCAA. Most of the time these players don’t find better situations. If they’d had to sit out a year, they would have stayed. Now, if you are second string at a top school, you know you could start somewhere else. The NCAA is really out of it. Power has bene decentralized. Each short should have its own committee. It doesn’t look great.”

“Alabama would be an underdog only to Georgia. They are at worst the 2nd or 3rd best team. That’s why they need an 8-12 team playoff.

On Aaron Judge: “The Yankees cost themselves $80 million by not signing him last year for $280 million. He was going to get paid anyway, even if he hit .260. He’s not going to have a year like this again but he needs to be a Yankee. The money thing in sport is crazy. Denver played Russell Wilson $220 million to lose games.” Matt: “Somebody will pay it.” JB: “The owners pay it and then have a lockout because they are paying too much.” How long would it take JB to turn Aaron Judge into a basketball player? (He’s at least 6-7.) “I don’t think the Yankees would allow it. In the Boeheim household, we’re Yankee fans but we wouldn’t be any more if they let him go….The Pinstripe Bowl is a great bowl for SU.”

Jim’s attended on hockey game live in his life. He was a junior at SU and Bob Davies, the Rochester Red Wings star, got him tickets.

AAU basketball “is good due to the competition Kids need to get better at other aspects of the game. it’s not just working out and shooting.” In Europe, they have “series in the middle of the season”. JB: I don’t see that in the NBA”. We don’t have as many players playing around the world as we once did. “Tyus is hurt. John [Gillen?] is in Taiwan Jimmy is in Greece.”

The return of Brittney Greiner “is a long time coming. That’s why you don’t go to Russia. They wanted their guy back. He had been in prison for 10 years so who cares? Make deals and get people back.”

In the NBA: “Golden State is not as good. The Jazz is playing very well. The two best teams are in the east: the Celtics and the Bucks. It’s surprising Melo isn’t playing. He works out and is in shape. If a good team needs one more scorer, he could be it.”

“The ACC was the best league in the tourney last year, so you have to respect it, (despite bad losses early his season.)

He’s against having a four point line.

Alan Iverson was “a great warrior. He was small – 160 pounds. He played QB and returned punts for his high school football team. He was one of the great Warriors of the game He was afraid of nobody. Other guys had to “practice”. Everybody thinks they give 100% but it’s really more like 80%. The great ones- Brady, Kobe, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods know what it is to give 100% both in practice and in games.”

Someone asked on Twitch if Jim were more of a Scrooge or a Grinch. Jim said that he’s more of a Grinch. (Actually, with all he does for charity and the Community, he’s more of a grumpy Santa Claus.) Coach’s favorite Christmas movie is “That Jimmy Stewart movie. I must have seen it 22 times. I never liked those Christmas vacation movies…No Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. I like it but it’s not a Christmas movie.

Of course he scores. He's a facilitator first, though.

He's not the same as Ja, Luka, Curry, SGA, etc.

Name me the next CP3 that's going into the NBA, because it sure as heck ain't Scoot.

These guys are transitioning to a diff type of lead guard. CP3 is not who they are mirroring. I didn't mean to say that CP3 was an assist person only. That's ridiculous.
Chris Paul's lifetime average is 18 pts per game. He is not an example of a non-scoring point guard. He is proficient In all aspects of the game.

Chris Paul's lifetime average is 18 pts per game. He is not an example of a non-scoring point guard. He is proficient In all aspects of the game.
I would use Marco Rubio as an example of a low scoring pg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom