The Jim Boeheim Show- before Miami | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Miami

PART 2

They had the women’s game vs. #17 Duke on the TV and gave updates throughout the show.
Orange Upset No. 17/16 Duke at Home
the women, like the men are struggling to get into the NCAA tournament and this was the kind of big win the men need. JB’s comments are the game progressed:
“When they start making threes they can beat anybody.” (He said that at least twice.)
(After a shooting slump.) “The women are good, solid team but when they don’t make shots…they are unbeatable when they make them.”
“They are really battling. They’ve played great. Coach Q always looks good. “
“I don’t know if there is a better point guard in women’s basketball. She shoots and passes really well and she’s really tough.”

Frank in Watertown asked about Lavar Ball- how would you deal with him. JB: “I like parents. I usually don’t talk to them during the season, unless there is some problem. Lavar Ball is doing irreparable damage to his sons. When a guy says he could beat LeBron James one on one why listen to him? We give voices to a lot of people who shouldn’t be on the air. There are a lot of things that are interesting but you don’t put them on television.”

Jimmy from Brewerton drove the bus the team took on their Canadian tour a few years back. He recalled discussion directions with Jim. I got the impression they might have had different opinions at some point but the conversation was good natured. Jimmy wondered if Jim or his assistants make recruiting trips to Canada. They do. “Tyler Ennis’ father runs a big program in Toronto. There are good players in Toronto and Montreal and we are recruiting in both cities. Canada just beat the US in the 18 and under tournament.” Matt said that Coach Babers noted he didn’t have anybody from Canada on his roster and wants to recruit up there, too. JB: “I don’t know about football but basketball is on the upswing up there.”

Looking around the ACC, “Virginia usually wins by double digits, even against the good teams- except Duke. They are really good on defense and can score better this year….Clemson just out-played Florida State without one of their two best players. They lost a big lead at the end. Grayson Allen is back at the point for Duke and he’s started scoring 25ppg. He’s fully engaged. Duke just crushed Virginia Tech without Bagley….Wake Forest is a whole lot better than their record. Some people think I’m just building teams up but I have no interest in doing that. They could easily have 3-4 more wins. Their center is really good and they have good depth.“

“Kentucky is very young. They have a lot of freshmen with no upperclassmen to help them. You need some stability….St. John’s has pretty good players. They’ve lost some close games.”

Kevin Durant scored 50 in a game but the Warriors lost to Portland anyway in part because Damian Lillard scored 44. “He’s always trying to out-do Steph Curry. You don’t realize how good these guys are until you see them play up close. They all work hard but Damian is a real hard worker at all times of year.” Andrew White has turned up on the Atlanta Hawks roster:
Former Syracuse basketball guard Andrew White makes NBA debut with Atlanta
“He can really shoot the ball.”

The Celtics are going to retire Kevin Garnett’s number. Gomez wondered what qualifies a player to have his jersey retired. JB: “He won a championship.” Cleveland “made the trade of their lifetime. They will be the favorite in the east.” Gomez said that the Rockets are 23-9 with both Chris Paul and James Harden in the line-up, (both have missed several games due to injury). JB questioned that stat, saying he thought they were 16-0 at one point. Gomez double checked and the record was 29-3. JB: “I knew you were wrong but I didn’t have the proof.” Will the Rockets have a shot at beating the Warriors if they have both Paul and Harden? “I don’t think they can beat Golden State in a 7 game series unless somebody, (on Golden State) gets hurt.”

Magic Johnson is being fined by the NBA for tampering:
Adam Silver on Magic Johnson tampering fine: ‘Stop talking about players on other teams’
JB: “You can’t say something about another player or its tampering- even to say that he could get his team a championship. The NBA is very strict.“

What walk-on has played the most in a game Jim coached? Jim thinks it was Justin Thomas, who “played 6-7 minutes” in the 6 overtime game. It was 7 minutes:
Syracuse Orange vs. Connecticut Huskies - Box Score - March 12, 2009

Tiger Woods was 1 over par in the golf tournament today. “He can’t drive it. But he’s looking good. As long as he’s healthy he’ll win again.”

The Yankee’s “hitting will be fine. Their starting pitching has to come through.”

Gomez noted that Ian Eagle will be doing the play-by-play for the Miami game while his son Noah does the game in WAER.
Broadcasting in the blood for Ian Eagle, son Noah

Dave called in to ask about coaches going outside the coaching box. He seemed to think Jim hand been called for that while other coaches don’t. Jim didn’t recall getting a technical this year, (I think the last one was probably the famous Duke game a couple of years back- he’s also probably the only coach in history to get T’d up in an exhibition game, several years before that.) he was more concerned about coaches walking out on the court. “I try not to get technical. They hurt the team and don’t help. I used to get them if we were up 20…Refs are going to miss calls. As long as they are fair and miss them both ways. You can’t get caught up in it. You have to try to play better.” Hey, coach, how about the refs being fair by not missing calls? Do you really want them to miss a call for your team if they missed one for the other team?

On the Olympics: Jim couldn’t sleep after Wednesday’s game so he stayed up watching the games. He saw Mikaela Shiffrin win Gold in the Giant Slalom.

They got a call from Kathleen Pulito, the local woman who is the “social media director” for the Jamaican bobsled team.
Red Stripe comes to the rescue of Jamaican bobsled team at Winter Olympics
She’s a recent SU grad and a huge fan. The bobsled team’s coach has bene fired but Kathleen reassured us that he was just the “driving” coach and the team was really run by Joe Manning, the ”high performance director”. The coach “needed to make adjustments” which he didn’t so he’s been given a different role. (There are people who would want that for JB!) It was erroneously reported that the coach owned the sled and was taking it home with him – Fake news! Kathleen said she ripped her Olympic blazer off when she heard it! That made the Coach laugh. Kathleen says she’d like a doctorate degree from SU, maybe an “honorary degree for PR”. Jim wished her good luck and told her to have fun.
Gomez asked if the basketball team stayed in the Olympic village. “No, we stayed at a hotel. It’s crazy in the village”.

Miami “Can beat anybody.” Gomez said ti would be “a good quadrant 1 win”. JB: “Yeah. It’s a quadrant 1 game.” I could hear him chuckling.

If Moyer were to transfer, he would have to sit out another season and would then have only two years of eligibility remaining. I'm not sure he would like to do that. If he sticks it out here, he would likely have a significant role as a junior and senior.

Why would he have only two years? Is it because he red-shirted last year and there's a limit to the number of seasons he can use his 4 years of eligibility?

Why would he have only two years? Is it because he red-shirted last year and there's a limit to the number of seasons he can use his 4 years of eligibility?
Transfer terms

If we actually used a bench instead of playing starters 38-40 minutes, there would be enough minutes to go around and keep our best players fresh so they aren't too gassed defend in the last 4 minutes.

WHAT bench?? Have you been keeping up with current events? We literally do not have one anymore.

If we actually used a bench instead of playing starters 38-40 minutes, there would be enough minutes to go around and keep our best players fresh so they aren't too gassed defend in the last 4 minutes.

JB went 10 deep in 2012 because 10 players showed him they could play well enough to help him win competitive games:
Syracuse University Athletics - MBBStatsCombined

Got it.

Transfer terms

Eligibility Timeline
Division I five-year clock: If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to red shirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time during your college career.

What walk-on has played the most in a game Jim coached? Jim thinks it was Justin Thomas, who “played 6-7 minutes” in the 6 overtime game. It was 7 minutes:
Syracuse Orange vs. Connecticut Huskies - Box Score - March 12, 2009

Nice candor from Boeheim about the Balls. "Just because something's interesting doesn't mean it should be on TV"...love it.

Matt Park re Canadian football players - Babers has recruited two Canadian guys currently on the roster.

Can't believe Justin Thomas played so many minutes that night. Anyway, maybe it deserves an asterisk, but this walk-on played more: Syracuse 77, Georgetown 74

Nice candor from Boeheim about the Balls. "Just because something's interesting doesn't mean it should be on TV"...love it.

Matt Park re Canadian football players - Babers has recruited two Canadian guys currently on the roster.

Can't believe Justin Thomas played so many minutes that night. Anyway, maybe it deserves an asterisk, but this walk-on played more: Syracuse 77, Georgetown 74

12NP in 19M = 25.3NP/40

"Bourama, Oshae, Marek, Frank and Matthew are all playing hurt. That’s 5 of our 7 players."

This struck me as odd. Oshae and Marek are hurt (we do know Marek has wound up on the deck a lot) but he didn't mention Paschal. Throw Paschal in there and everyone is hurt except for Tyus. Maybe playing big minutes has an impact.

Last edited:
"Bourama, Oshae, Marek, Frank and Matthew are all playing hurt. That’s 5 of our 7 players."

This struck me as odd. Oshae and Marek are hurt (we do know Marek has wound up on the deck a lot) but he didn't mention Pashcal. Throw Paschal in there and everyone is hurt except for Tyus. Maybe playing big minutes has an impact.
yeah cuz no other teams have multiple players w nagging minor injuries at this point in the season

yeah cuz no other teams have multiple players w nagging minor injuries at this point in the season
If all these theories about the occurrence of injuries being strongly correlated to minutes played were true, one would expect to see relatively few injuries early in the season on a macro level, and relatively few injuries early in games on a micro level.

If all these theories about the occurrence of injuries being strongly correlated to minutes played were true, one would expect to see relatively few injuries early in the season on a macro level, and relatively few injuries early in games on a micro level.

I don't think there is a direct correlation in most cases. I think there is in some instances. Guys can wear down and that can lead to injuries. My point to bringing up JB's quote was that it's odd he'd mention injuries we really didn't know about (Oshae and Marek) but didn't bring up Paschal, who just hurt his back. He may have just forgotten but he specifically mentioned 5 out of 7 guys.

I don't think there is a direct correlation in most cases. I think there is in some instances. Guys can wear down and that can lead to injuries. My point to bringing up JB's quote was that it's odd he'd mention injuries we really didn't know about (Oshae and Marek) but didn't bring up Paschal, who just hurt his back. He may have just forgotten but he specifically mentioned 5 out of 7 guys.
I'd guess he just forgot. Everyone on this team has been banged up to some degree at various points in the season. I'm not convinced it has anything to do with game minutes played or the number of scholarship players on the roster or the abilities of the team medical staff, although some here will certainly disagree. I just think the nature of the game is such that some years you get lucky on the injury front, and other years you don't.

I'd guess he just forgot. Everyone on this team has been banged up to some degree at various points in the season. I'm not convinced it has anything to do with game minutes played or the number of scholarship players on the roster or the abilities of the team medical staff, although some here will certainly disagree. I just think the nature of the game is such that some years you get lucky on the injury front, and other years you don't.

I agree in general. I also do think the minutes take a toll. JB is not at fault here. The only guy I'd argue should've gotten more minutes earlier this season is Howard Washington.

We really have been decimated this season. If we beat Miami, we still will be playing meaningful games, so have to look at it that way.

This struck me as odd. Oshae and Marek are hurt (we do know Marek has wound up on the deck a lot) but he didn't mention Paschal. Throw Paschal in there and everyone is hurt except for Tyus. Maybe playing big minutes has an impact.

he may have meant paschal and not oshae. and paschal and marek got hurt during the game. I don't think they were hurt prior, but who knows. bourama, matt and frank are the only ones I had heard going into the game.

WHAT bench?? Have you been keeping up with current events? We literally do not have one anymore.
I'm not talking about this season. But most years we don't play subs many minutes.

If playing minutes cause injuries wouldn't the NBA be a disaster area? They play 100 games including exhibitions and playoffs and the starters usually play 35-40 minutes a game.

If playing minutes cause injuries wouldn't the NBA be a disaster area? They play 100 games including exhibitions and playoffs and the starters usually play 35-40 minutes a game.
they use special padded courts and plus there coaches arent old and stupid

Bazley and Brissett will be starting forwards. A freshman and a sophomore. I wouldn't be surprised if Moyer and Dolezaj depart. they say European players often go back home after a season or two and Moyers has 3 years of eligibility left. he might not want to waste one sitting on the bench.
Bazley and Brissett will both be gone to the pros in two years. Which would set up Moyer and Marek to be possible starters in their junior years. That’s how things are supposed to work. Not everyone can be stars as freshman or sophomores. Both will play next year regardless, but maybe not as much. I wish these kids would slow their rolls and be a little more patient. Their times will come. We need to build depth for the future.

If Moyer were to transfer, he would have to sit out another season and would then have only two years of eligibility remaining. I'm not sure he would like to do that. If he sticks it out here, he would likely have a significant role as a junior and senior.
Exactly. And he’s a really good student, one of the rare basketball players to make it into Newhouse as a freshman. I think he wants to stay at SU. A pro Basketball career only lasts so long, and a degree from Newhouse could take him a long way.

Exactly. And he’s a really good student, one of the rare basketball players to make it into Newhouse as a freshman. I think he wants to stay at SU. A pro Basketball career only lasts so long, and a degree from Newhouse could take him a long way.

Yup. I’m pulling for the kid. Still think he can be a good garbage/energy guy like Roberson. Maybe (hopefully) a better Roberson by the time he is done here and I liked Robey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom