The Jim Boeheim Show- before Virginia II | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before Virginia II

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: http://tunein.com

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

First Hour:

Coach, we are down to the nitty gritty as far as our depth. What could our walk-ons give us moving forward? Does Brayden Bayer’s experience at Grinnell help him here?

Second Hour:

Coach, is Bourama Sidibie strictly a center or could he play as a forward in tandem with Paschal Chuwku, the way Rick Jackson played with Arinze Onuaku?

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(They care now doing two hour shows. The second hour is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. There are three musical interludes, one every 20 minutes, so if you tune in at 8PM it’s going to sound as if the Boeheim show has ended but stick with it. As last year, the night of the show I will post comments relating directly to the SU basketball team. I’ll post “Part 2” on Friday, which will contain other topics that were discussed. )

JB: “Every game is tough in this league. Pitt was up by 1 at Miami: 44-43. Georgia Tech only got fully healthy in the last 6-7 games.” (I wonder what that’s like.) We gave them 14 points off turnovers and got nothing out of 4-5 fast break opportunities. We could have shot 30% and still won.” Matt Park pointed out we held Tech to 33% and SU is still among the national leaders in field goal percentage defense.

Liam from Pompey consoled the Coach on “a tough loss. Maybe they could have called more fouls. Virginia is #2 in the country. It will be a tough game.” He went on and on until Jim asked him if there was a question in there. Liam asked “What do we have to do better?” JB: we need to shoot the ball better, handle it better and avoid turnovers. We can do these things.”

Josh from Boulder, Colorado asked about something called the “secondary Break press that UNC runs. I think it he meant just the secondary break Roy Williams is famous for. JB: “We have used the Carolina break but you must have a low post presence. You need a guy who can catch the ball and make post moves. Even UNC is not so good this year because they don’t have those big guys. The game these days is perimeter oriented. You need at least three 5’s and 4’s to play power basketball. “ (I don’t know why you need a low post presence for a break, where the idea is to beat the other team down court.) then Josh asked if we can use a defensive press and an offensive press. (I assume he meant to fast break off the press, as we did a couple of times midway through the second half. ) JB: “We’re only using 6-7 guys and can press only in spots. That’s asking a lot form our guards.

Matt Moyer “should be healthy enough. He practiced well today. It would have been good to have Howard Washington – he was getting better….I hate it when somebody gets hurt. He was just starting to figure out some things. They can fix it and he’ll come back stronger.“ (I remember Jim saying that about Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins a decade ago- after they’d torn ACLs.)

I called in my first question. I asked if Grinnell was on the same level as high school. JB: “it’s better than high school. They run up and down. It’s OK. Braydon went here because he thought he would score 50 points. He’s got a good handle- not great. His shooting is not great but he’s gotten better. He’s physical- a very tough player. He knows how to play. He could play a little – but not a lot- for us….He could hang in there and hold his own, get to some loose balls. He’s the only guy who could help unless foul trouble gets real bad. The rest are smaller guys. It’s hard to get big walk-ons. It’s hard to take Tyus out of the 2 position.“ They discussed Doyin Akintobi-Adeyeeye, who was 6-6 230 and played for our last three teams. He seems an exception to the rule about the size of walk-ons but we’ve got nobody like him now. Bayer played on the Albany rocks team with Tyler Lydon. “he wanted to play at a higher level so he left Grinnell. He really couldn’t shoot well but he’s worked on it. He’s a good shooter now. He plays really hard. Playing 2 games in 3 days is a good place to use him.” (We play Louisville Monday.) Gomez later wondered if we could recruit a player from the student body like Jimmy Chitwood in “Hoosiers”. “There’s nobody good enough to help us. If there were, we’d know about it.. we have enough practice guys.”

Coach reported that Bourama Sidibie had “banged his knee a little and was struggling with it. That game against Pittsburgh was the biggest anomaly of the year. 18 points and 16 rebounds. The minutes were messed up: Bourama was credited with 31 minutes and Paschal with 17 but they neve rplayed together. I think Bourama’s minutes are a bit exaggerated. It’s possible they could play together. You have to cover a lot of ground- it’s a lot to do. It’s a completely different positon. Dean Smith never had a freshman play more than one positon- it’s too difficult. The 2 and the 3 are similar as are the 5 and the 4. But it is difficult….Tyus battle is much smaller but has played well at the 3 in the last few games. We wasn’t there last night but had 9 rebounds. Our early rebounding totals were a myth. We were bigger than those teams. We’re about even in the conference…. Paschal has to be more active. Lammers is one of the best defenders in the league…. They put some bigger guys on Ty. Alvarado was on Brissett at times…When both guards go 4 for 17 we’re in trouble. But it was still a tight game. “

Pat called in to say that “Nobody knows what we are seeing on offense. Can’t we run plays like the ones we ran with Michael Carter Williams and Brandon Triche?” JB: “I don’t like the dribble drive and we’re not great at it. But we can’t run sets for jump shooters. We have to get drives because we can’t shoot jump shots. We need Oshae to be more productive Our centers have to get some offensive rebounds and get something inside. We also need something from the other forward.” Pat asked if we could “pick and pop” like we used to do with Cooney, Southerland and Rautins. Maybe we could do it with Brissett? JB: “they switch so Oshae doesn’t get to “pick and pop”. You can guard him with a guard because he can’t overpower anybody. It has to be a hedge so you can get him that shot.”

“Virginia, with Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome, can make shots. They are better offensively. They have multiple guys who can score. They don’t give you much….if you’re not careful and don’t play well you can lose to anybody in this league. We got back with the press which enabled us to score 61 on Virginia. Davidson and Louisville are the only other teams to reach 60 against them. They beat Davidson by 20.” (Actually Virginia beat VCU 76-67, lost to West Virginia 61-68, beat Davidson 80-60, beat Syracuse 68-61, Duke 65-63 and Louisville 74-64.

Jim told Gomez “We’re going to struggle this year. We just don’t have enough guys who can shoot the ball. Villanova made 17 threes tonight. We’d need at least three games to make that many. Most plays are screens for jump shots. We haven’t been as consistently good as we need to be. Also, we don’t covert fast breaks well enough….Jackson was pretty clever. We had people in the right place but they didn’t execute. But the missed transitions hurt us more.”

Matt in Liverpool suggested that Oshae Brissett, who had “shot well early but not in the last couple of games”, learn the pull up jumper. JB: “That’s not what he does, although he hit one last night. He’s driven all year. He can’t finish. He’s around 30% from two point range. His three point shooting is getting better. The pull up shot is hard. You don’t see many people doing it. You have to work on it. It’s tough for freshmen. He used to get 8-10 free throw games. He gets to the hoop but he doesn’t finish. In high school nobody’s there. You have to figure it out as you learn.”

Since my question about using Sidibie as a forward had already been answered I called in a different question in the second hour. Firstly I suggested that if Jim wants to know how to beat the #2 team in the country in the Dome, he should ask Dino Babers for pointers. That got a laugh. “I’d like to get that!” My new question was, since we are getting off to slow started in halves and we had success with a press against Virginia, maybe we could use the press at the start of a half and then fall back into the zone. The press seemed to energize our guys against Georgia Tech. before we went to it they were kind of lethargic. JB: “Frank and Tyus were exhausted after 2 minutes of pressing last night. We’d need to do it for 7-8 minutes. if we did a first half press, we’d have nothing left at the end of the game. A press works better at the end of a game when teams are being careful. Earlier in the game, they just attack it.” (But Jim, we have a TV time out every 4 minutes….)

“Virginia is a great basketball team. We made tough shots against them and hung around. Our defense keeps us in games. If we can make shots, we have a chance to win.”

(Part 2 tomorrow)

JB contradicts himself often on player fatigue. He is always saying kids don't get tired, but then goes on to say the players were exhausted.

Yeah. It's almost like his theory that players can go the full boat because of TV TOs and halftime isn't accurate at all and players actually need load management.

I'll be SHOCKED if one of Tyus, OB and Frank don't get injured over the next few weeks.

Separately, half these answers are billboards for recruiting against us.

PART 2

Two games were going from time to time: #1 Villanova was playing Creighton, (they would win 98-78: they were 19 of 39 from three point range), and the SU women were hosting Virginia Tech, (they would lose 64-73 after missing 35 of 43 treys). Early on it was Villanova 45 Creighton 34. “Villanova has 2-3 point guards and 4-5 guys who can shoot…..He, (Coach Q), likes to let ‘em go…When Q’s teams don’t make threes they are in trouble. When you miss that man it hurts your confidence.

“Louisville is really good. They’ve got big guys and guys who can shoot.”

“Trae Young is really good. He goes by guys who come up on him. He made 6 shots measured as 30 footers in his last game. He makes good passes.”

Looking at Villanova, Virginia and Purdue, “They don’t have a single one and done player among them. (Isaac) Haas couldn’t make a basket for two years. (He’s now scoring 14.8ppg on 62% shooting.) They have no Top 50 players. The Edwardses (Carsen and Vincent, unrelated), were not highly recruited. This is the best start ever for Purdue.” (It illustrates what can happen if you can hold onto your players. ) “There are so many good teams that really are good teams.” (It’s sort of a minimum requirement). “You can go down to 5-6-7-8, they can all win the title. Tennessee is playing really good basketball. Auburn is 20-2. Texas Tech can beat anybody.”

Two DIII schools set a record with a 164-154 games. In an upset, Grinnell wasn’t involved. Fontbonne beat Greenville. They didn’t make all their shots. There were 125 rebounds.
DIII schools Fontbonne, Greenville combine for 318 points, breaking 24-year-old single-game record

Should they move the three point line back? “Probably. There’s too much three point shooting. I wouldn’t mind it. But there’s no talk about it. There’s a little talk about widening the lane and moving the line back.” I assume he meant the foul line as he’d just said there wasn’t talk about moving the three point line back and you couldn’t move the mid-court line back without making the court larger. Same for the end line and side line and I don’t know what other lines there are.

Shane in Liverpool noted a newspaper article showing that the Belin family was in town to watch LeMoyne play. How often does Jim get to see his kids play? “I’ve been to Cornell to watch Jimmy play a few times. I’ve seen Buddy’s (prep school) team once. I try to watch my daughter when I can, (Rochester). It’s not easy. I watch live streams and reruns of their games. Buddy made 6 threes in the first half of one game.”

James Harden had the first ever 60 point triple-double. “He’s a great player. He and Chris Paul will make them compete in the playoffs. Houston is going to be a problem for someone. They aren’t going to go easy.“ On NBA trades: “the Clippers had to trade griffin once they lost Paul. Jordan is getting older and they will probably trade him and Lou Williams. They have to start all over again and rebuild through the draft.” LeBron to the Warriors, “is all talk. If Cleveland is not good, he’ll find the right place. The Warriors have Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Kevin Durrant who should be able to play at a high level for another 6-7 years.” CJ McCollum scored 50 points in 3 quarters and was pulled from the game with his team up by 27. (They won by 16). “If you ahead that far, it’s not that valuable to keep playing him.” (It’s not like he’s going to break the record.) Stephon Marbury has retired at age 41. “I remember when he came to our camp and was the best player in camp at age 13. Now he’s retiring at 41.” He’s been playing in China since 2010. He’s actually had a musical based on his life:
Stephon Marbury - Wikipedia
Gomez noted that Marbury’s record shows he was 6th in “all-time win shares”. Neither of them could figure out what that meant:
Win Shares - Wikipedia

They had their annual Ft. Drum shoot-around where members of the 19th Mountain Division come down to the Melo Center and “shoot baskets with some of our walk-ons and then dine with the players. It’s an all-volunteer army and they are classy kids. In March they will be in Iraq or Afghanistan. The 10th Division goes to the toughest places- the hottest deserts in Iraq and where it’s 20 below in Afghanistan. They bring so much to our country that we don’t appreciate. We go up there once a year to take a look at their training, which is really hard.”

Tiger Woods is “back” after a fashion. He finished all four rounds of a golf tournament. “Anybody else who hit the ball where he did would have been ten over par. He had so many saves. His short game is pectacular. He’s got to get his drives back in the fairway. He’s hitting it pretty long. “

The SU-Rutgers football game is back. “It’s a good game for us.”

They played a tape of Jim predicting two weeks ago that the eagles and Patriots would meet in the Super Bowl. He also predicted the Patriots, (his favorite team) would win it. He’s sticking with that prediction. “Don’t bet against the Patriots. They’ve lost two Super Bowls on miracle plays. Gronkowski has been cleared to play. “Would the underdog role motivate the Eagles? “That’s pretty much non-sense. When the game starts, you have to make plays.” Matt suggested that “the sooner you can make it like a regular game, the better.” Jim added that Patriots, having been there so many times, should have an advantage in that department.

Robert Kraft, the patriot’s owner has said that Tom Brady will decide “when and how to retire.” “Garoppolo decided that. They will look for somebody in the draft. They might have decided to push Brady out if they’d kept him. That’s what happens to old quarterbacks.” I thought Jimmy was the guy they’d found in the draft to eventually succeed Brady.

On the 30-30 about “The two Bills”- Parcells and Belichick: “Smart guys. They have good senses of humor and though you don’t always see it. There will be a lot of good things in that show.”

It started snowing and Gomez commented on it, saying it was the “lake effect”. JB: “That’s Syracuse. If you don’t want snow, go somewhere else.”

Gomez noted that Jim has his own IMDB page. He had to explain what that was, (The Internet Movie Data Base).
Jim Boeheim - IMDb
Jim talked about appearing in Blue Chips. They shot his scenes in Los Angeles, Chicago and French Lick, (that’s in Indiana for you younger folks- it’s where Larry Bird came from). He filmed his latest gig in a hotel room, (?), for “Four Square Miles of Glory”, which is in “post production”. “It’s a documentary about the last 50-60-70 years of basketball.” (He’s the one to ask.) He’s bene on Mike and Mike 11 times and Pardon the Interruption 10 times. “I try to do those shows once a year.” He still gets residual checks for the two actual movies he did, the other being Spike Lee’s “He Got Game”. “I think I got $30.00 this year.”

On his bio page it says that “He is an actor, known for He Got Game (1998), Blue Chips (1994) and Lazarus.” Jim disagreed with that statement: “If you play yourself they don’t consider you to be an actor and you don’t have to join a union.” He had no idea what “Lazarus” was. The only thing IMDB has on it is this poster:

MV5BYzQxNjM4MzgtZjYxNS00M2QxLTgyNDMtNzMzOTQ5NjA5N2Q4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ3NTE5NzQ@._V1_.jpg

It does show a basketball hoop and is subtitled “An Epic Comeback. “ Maybe we can make one.

(Further info on “Lazarus": The poster says it was directed by Salvatore Di Costanso, whose bio page says “He has presently several Directorial projects under development such as "Lazarus", which stars and was co-written with Andy Davoli, about a down-an-out basketball star who gets a second chance to go pro, 13 years after being cheated out of his dream to play in the NBA.”

I called the Daniel Baldwin Show and Dan said that he knew Andy Davoli, a local kid so it's likely "Lazarus" is a a real thing. Paulie, the producer for both shows, said that JB remembered after the show that he had been approached for a role in the proposed film. But there's along way from "In development" to a film appearing on the screen.
Andy Davoli - Biography - IMDb

JB contradicts himself often on player fatigue. He is always saying kids don't get tired, but then goes on to say the players were exhausted.
tyus took over #1 in the nation this week and oshae moved up to #3 in mpg. and if he expects braedon bayer to spell either well it's gonna be one less guy to guard.
cuz there's no way JB is gonna let BB drive or take a jumper. he's simply a player with a pulse and 5 extra fouls.

“Pat asked if we could “pick and pop” like we used to do with Cooney, Southerland and Rautins. Maybe we could do it with Brissett? JB: “they switch so Oshae doesn’t get to “pick and pop”. You can guard him with a guard because he can’t overpower anybody. It has to be a hedge so you can get him that shot.”

This was not accurate and we started seeing both O’Shea and Marek finally setting the pick vs Louisville

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom