The Jim Boeheim Show (before Virginia Tech) | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show (before Virginia Tech)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from Shaughnessy’s at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Syracuse University Athletics
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, we have a strong defensive team but a limited offensive team. One of the things you can in basketball more than other sports is to generate offense from your defense by taking the ball away and beat the other team down court before they have a chance to set up their defense. In the 13 non-conference games, we have scored 72 fast break points while the opposition had 88. We are a good rebounding team that blocks shots and makes steals. What can we do to beat the other team down court more often?”

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.)

(They haven’t begun the two hour shows yet. That will probably come after the first of the year.)

Coach described the pre-conference season: “It was a good time to evaluate and get better and play better. There were different kinds of tests and situations. We responded well, fighting back and doing what we needed to do to get wins. It was a stronger schedule than usual, (he noted several teams that were better than expected). There were no really weak teams. All have been capable. We saw improvement from different guys at different times. The team effort was always good. We have bene good but not great on defense. The ACC will be a challenge. Everybody can play. Look at BC beating #1 ranked Duke.”

Liam in Pompey said we “played all right (against Eastern Michigan), really good later in the year, (the game)” He wanted JB’s take on Virginia Tech. JB: “They are one of the country’s best offensive teams. They average in the 90’s and are hitting 55% from the field, 44% from three point range. They don’t play a lot of guys but all of them can score…Size doesn’t matter. They lost to Kentucky but could have won. They lost in a tournament to a really good St. Louis team. They are going to be good all year.”

Then they put me on and I asked my question, which got a very interesting answer. “We are not a good running team. Our center is not a runner. We haven’t bene able to get up and down the court well. We are using a lot of energy on defense. On 2 on 1 and 3 on2 situations we haven’t converted well. This team is about size and rebounding. Playing quick teams, we have a hard time getting up court. Virginia Tech has one 6-8 guy and several 6-6 guys. (So they would be hard to run on.) We’ll get more out of trips to the foul line and driving to the basket. Everybody wants to run but we’ve got to play to our strengths. We have to figure them out and that’s what we’ve bene doing. (Against Eastern Michigan) we got the ball inside and we shot it better. 6 three pointers is a good number for us. It’s not that hard to improve. One more and we would have hit 35%., which we’d be very pleased with.”

They had a trivia question: Oshae Brissett is averaging a double-double: who is the last SU player to average a double-double for a full season?

Matt asked about the game Paschal Chukwu had. “He was good early. The forwards helped and then we got pushed around a little bit. Paschal did some really good foul shooting – we could have been down 6 and we don’t ever want to be in that situation. He really went after the ball better. Oshae has been there all year and Tyus helped last night. Paschal is very acceptable from free throw line. He just got off to a bad start.

Another piece of trivia: Seton Hall is playing Creighton tonight. Both teams are ranked. When was Seton hall last in a game where both teams were ranked?

Jackie and Zach submitted a question about when Bourama Sidibie would be available. JB: “Bourama will tell us when he can go. Right now he can’t go.” Later Pat asked for clarification on Bourama’s status as a possible medical redshirt: Does a third of the games include the post-season? JB: “It’s based on 30 games. He’s played in 10 and can’t play in any more, (and still redshirt). We won’t play him unless he can play a lot.” Pat asked who would be the emergency center if Chukwu and Dolezaj both got in foul trouble. Jim said that Matthew Moyer and Oshae Brissett could both be used in that situation and he currently has no preference.

“Tyus Battle struggled but he’s got to keep going. We don’t have that other guy I could point to and say ‘get the ball to him.” He got a fast break lay-up and a fast break three, then went to the foul line” (We must have somehow beaten them down the court.) “It’s difficult when you aren’t shooting well and you have to keep shooting.“

They talked about Frank Howard’s assists and steals. Matt noticed that Howard Washington was “feeding the inside”. JB: “He’s pretty composed. He needs more time. He’s got a lot to process and learn.”

Steve in Dewitt wondered how we attack a 2-3 zone. He thinks, (as I do) that getting the ball into the high post was the key. JB agreed but said “Eastern took that away. They didn’t let us get the lob. (When they do that), we should get better shots from the perimeter. We finally used a screen into the lane and got dump downs for dunks. Tyus hit a couple and that opened it up. Last year they were more worried about our shooters and we could sue the high post. When we use Paschal there, they just leave him there. We’ll see some zone in the league, not a lot but some. Dribble penetration is the best strategy against any zone.

The women were down 37-42 at Notre Dame. JB: “They lost some great playing players from last year. The young players are playing very well. It’s a tremendous credit to Coach Q.”

They talked about Trey Young of Oklahoma again. Jim said that they knew he was good when he played on the USA team but nobody thought of him as a point guard. All he did was score. The top point guard was supposed to be Colin Sexton of Alabama, who has had a 40 point game. But “Trey Young is much better.”

Kris Joseph came back from Europe for a game. He’s been playing well but had a disagreement with this coach. “He’ll be back there because he’s a scorer and that’s what they want- scorers. I used to tell everyone who went to Europe ‘Did you get your money?’ because, unless they got it up front, they often didn’t. But it’s better now and Kris got his money.”

Jim is a Yankee fan. What does he think of the acquisition of Giancarlo Stanton? “As long as the starting pitching holds up… They were very close last year. But if they give up four runs, they can always score 7. It’s difficult to play in New York.” Matt noted that Alan griffin was also a great Yankee fan and, like Coach was also a fan of Joe Girardi. Matt joked that Alan almost put in for the job himself. JB: “It’s win the world series or you did a bad job. The pros are different from college. You are dealing with adults. It’s easy to be a nice guy if you’re not deciding who’s out there. It’s a player’s game. Casey Stengel went form the Yankees to the Mets and wound up in last place.”

On the ACC race: “Duke’s going to get going. They have too many weapons. Matt said that then coaches in the conference had scouted each other so much and so well that they had “no secrets: it will be all about execution”. JB: “It will be a battle every night. “ Matt suggested that since Syracuse is such a good defensive team and Virginia Tech such a good offensive team it will be “Strength upon strength.” JB: “They are very good offensively. That’s all I can say.”

They talked about Frank Howard’s assists and steals. Matt noticed that Howard Washington was “feeding the inside”. JB: “He’s pretty composed. He needs more time. He’s got a lot to process and learn."
boy, this is gonna be red meat for some folks

Thanks as always SWC. I look forward to these.

Assuming JB is telling the truth and I believe he mostly was tonight; the whole quickness comment stood out to me re: pushing it down the court to beat a set defense to score easier. That’s something I’ve been seeing all season...lack of quickness. He didn’t directly say Frank but if he is saying “not a good running team” and “playing quick teams we have a hard time getting up court”; this has to be related to your PG no? The person who drives the bus? Can’t all be Paschal related can it? I mean I think Oshae could fly down the court but I also think he would smoke Frank in a footrace. Well, regardless, that pretty much puts the kibosh on future fast breaking and beating a team down the court. He doesn’t think we are quick enough so we aren’t doing it.

Assuming JB is telling the truth and I believe he mostly was tonight; the whole quickness comment stood out to me re: pushing it down the court to beat a set defense to score easier. That’s something I’ve been seeing all season...lack of quickness. He didn’t directly say Frank but if he is saying “not a good running team” and “playing quick teams we have a hard time getting up court”; this has to be related to your PG no? The person who drives the bus? Can’t all be Paschal related can it? I mean I think Oshae could fly down the court but I also think he would smoke Frank in a footrace. Well, regardless, that pretty much puts the kibosh on future fast breaking and beating a team down the court. He doesn’t think we are quick enough so we aren’t doing it.
The way he said it though it didn’t seem philosophical but personal based. So if we had Carey in there with OB and Bazely maybe we would. I agree regarding this teams ability to get out and when we do we are the worst 3 on 2 finishing team in history

Not the way I heard it nor the way JB said it. Also didn’t know Franks been the PG for the past several years.

When you think about it, the supposed slowness of Paschal Chukwu shouldn't prevent us from fastbreaking. Centers don't normally finish the fast break. they start it. And Paschal doesn't seem particularly immobile here:

Not the way I heard it nor the way JB said it. Also didn’t know Franks been the PG for the past several years.

Obviously this has been going with other PGs here. I’m just trying to understand it. How did you hear it then? All on Chukwu then? I think Silent G at times pushed it more with some coast-to-coast plays.

When you think about it, the supposed slowness of Paschal Chukwu shouldn't prevent us from fastbreaking. Centers don't normally finish the fast break. they start it. And Paschal doesn't seem particularly immobile here:

Plus he could come in for a putback slam or something trailing. He did that in one game already.

Obviously this has been going with other PGs here. I’m just trying to understand it. How did you hear it then? All on Chukwu then? I think Silent G at times pushed it more with some coast-to-coast plays.

I don’t know why he mentioned the center. Jb says things. Even going so far as mentioning the smaller size of other teams big defenders. So I don’t read anything into it because I feel it’s a decision he makes to not run and hasn’t for several years.

That comment on our center was just one reason and it makes sense especially together with his comments about expending energy on defense and getting back down the court since the center is the anchor and needs to get back first. But don't focus too much on the center comment. The entire response is more of a general assessment of our team's ineffectiveness running. So just like our center, if our team has trouble getting up and down the court (and I take that verbatim as overall team speed in the open court), it is about getting by guys on a fast break while also getting back on d. That would tax a team that lacks speed especially against quicker teams. In the rare times we do run, we haven't converted well. It is simply not a strength. Then, couple that with our focus on rebounding and we are all at the basket since our guards help rebound.

Now, he didn't say whether we do or don't intend to run more. But I believe it is a decision not to since he also said something about how this team is about size and rebounding. I think he is trying to maximize our strengths and limit liabilty? I dunno.

I think you'd need a more specific question if you want to know about individual players abilities or what JB had specifically instructed his team to do off of defensive rebounds/inbounds.

I don’t know why he mentioned the center. Jb says things. Even going so far as mentioning the smaller size of other teams big defenders. So I don’t read anything into it because I feel it’s a decision he makes to not run and hasn’t for several years.
The center comment makes no sense and it sounds like he’s deflecting from the real issues with guard play by labeling the lack of quickness as a team affliction... but then that wouldn’t explain the last several years.

We learned nothing.

The main point is right there - this team hasn't converted well in 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 situations. That is principally on the guards. Howard is a major factor, but how many assists does Battle get? We have tall strong guards - not quick guards.

The secondary point (not spelled out by JB) is that we need Oshae and Moyer committed to defensive rebounding. And, Pascal isn't the sort of center who can rebound and quickly outlet to start a break. He rebounds, collects himself, and finds a safe hand off. The ingredients aren't there for this team to get quickly into transition.

The ingredients aren't there for this team to get quickly into transition.
Then how do you explain the last 4 years? Is it a different excuse each year? I think bees’ point is that this goes beyond personnel and that there has been a philosophical shift on JB’s part to slow things down. It sort of mirrors the zone vs man debate - every year posters would cherry pick absurd reasons that we couldn’t play it... which of course was missing the point that JB just doesn’t want to use it.

Maybe JB doesn't want to run because he wants to force teams to play against his set defense. Also as people have pointed out, besides Frank most of our guys are black holes once they get the ball.

Let me throw this theory into the fire: When we dazzled college basketball with our fast break in the late 80's, our guards were 6-0 Sherman Douglas and 6-2 Stevie Thompson, both quick and athletic. Now that we are playing zone exclusively, JB wants guards who are 6-4 to 6-6 to make the zone more effective. But those guys aren't as quick. They also haven't been natural point guards since Ennis, (whose game was to slow it down and avoid turnovers anyway). So he gets tall guards for the zone but sacrifices the fast break.

But there's always a fly in the ointment. Our best fast breaking team of recent years was 2012, a team with a big lumbering center and three years after he'd gone all zone. The backcourt was 6-1 Scoop Jardine but also 6-4 Brandon Triche and 6-4 Dion Waiters.

So then was there another shift in philosophy in recruiting Quade Green? It’s true that Frank can actually do something with the rock while some others are “black holes once they get the ball” like Cusefan0307 said. 2018 almost and Syracuse basketball has an inability to run. Never thought I would say that.

For awhile I was convinced that part of the reason we lose some of our guys prematurely to the NBA or lose certain top recruits by default was because of the zone. That still has merit at least for recruiting, but, maybe some of our guys are in this offense and they are like ‘get me outta here.’ Obviously the team strengths are D and rebounding this year. But if it has been a conscious decision not to run for a few years now one would think the type of players and scheme we need is more surgical and something like a Wisconsin.

I think Jim is spot on. We are not a running team. Add to that our lack of depth and unless it is there we shouldn't push.

But if it has been a conscious decision not to run for a few years now one would think the type of players and scheme we need is more surgical and something like a Wisconsin.
Bingo. As much as I hate the slow tempo, JB needs to fully commit to running halfcourt sets that give us a chance to be efficient. The freewheeling iso ball is an NBA scheme and we consistently lack the creative talents to make it work.

Honest question...how sincere or honest do we think JB is in his responses to questions on this show? Is he just going through the motions? After all these years one could understand if he didn’t take it to seriously.

The original SU dunktape. A masterpiece on transition basketball...this style of play filled the dome, had us on Espn and had many top flight prospects drooling to play for SU. Transition basketball and SU were synonymous.

And when you see Stevie rising up to the rim remember that he was only about 6'2"

The original SU dunktape. A masterpiece on transition basketball...this style of play filled the dome, had us on Espn and had many top flight prospects drooling to play for SU. Transition basketball and SU were synonymous.
all I know is that it’s going to be a slightly harder grooming process to sell my young kids on this Wisconsin tempo and clusterF of an offense that we run. Our dads had a pretty easy sales pitch for those of us who grew up in the 80s/90s.

#orangeisthenewslow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom